5,599,033 Members 31,596 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] OblyTile - Tile Creator for all programs.

Tip us?

Argony-OT
Old
(Last edited by Argony-OT; 23rd March 2014 at 12:17 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 475

DONATE TO ME
Default [APP] OblyTile - Tile Creator for all programs.

This program is meant to create tiles to the windows 8 start screen.

I created this in vb.net using SharpDevelop, it works for all programs/folder/files and even websites.

The program will store the image files inside the folder "C:\Program Files\OblyTile" and create the Shortcut .LNK file inside the StartMenu folder.

If you want to delete a Tile, right click it on the startmenu and select "Remove From Start" on the left bottom side.

Old Versions:
OblyTile v0.5 (ChangeLog)
OblyTile v0.7/0.7.1 (ChangeLog)
OblyTile v0.8 (ChangeLog)
OblyTile v0.8.2 (ChangeLog)
OblyTile v0.8.6 (ChangeLog)
OblyTile v0.8.8 (ChangeLog)
OblyTile v0.9 (ChangeLog)
OblyTile v0.9.1 (ChangeLog)
OblyTile v0.9.5 (ChangeLog)
OblyTile v0.9.7 (ChangeLog)

Latest Version:
OblyTile v0.9.8

ChangeLog:
  • Added ability to pick a color from the tile preview. [Click the tile preview to pick the color]
  • Added support for accented letters in the tile name.
  • Added function to automatically retrieve the color of the selected Square Tile image. [You can select it in the Settings menu]
  • Added function to always use a custom background color for the new tiles. [You can select it in the Settings menu]
  • Added function to remember the last color chosen in the color picker. [You can select it in the Settings menu]
  • Added function to search in the listboxes. [Search items in the Tile, Shortcut, Quick and WinApp lists]
  • OblyTile will now ask if you want to remove the previous tile images when you change the square tile image of an already existing tile.
  • Enhanced the OblyTile "Remove" function. [You can find it in the Settings menu]
  • Possible fix for WinApps dissapearing after being launched.
  • Fixed blurry Tiny and Small tile.
  • Fixed bugged tile when using #FFFFFF as background tile color.
  • Fixed shortcuts not being shown for some programs in the Shortcut list.
  • Small changes to the UI. [Messageboxes, Buttons, Dpi, Transparency, Tab Index]
  • Changed SkyDrive to OneDrive in the WinApp list.
Note Issues:
  • Make a backup of your tiles before upgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, you might lose your custom tiles during the process of upgrade. (Thanks to LLJKRevol)
  • Tiles which contain accented letters in the tile name can be edited only by OblyTile v0.9.8 and above.
  • In order to launch the Immersive mode of your web browser by using a tile made with OblyTile, be sure to close the desktop version of it.
  • If the tiles are not showed properly (a normal icon is showed) open OblyTile and press the second button on top of OblyTile. (Rebuild cache)
  • If the tiles are visible only on the "App" side of the start screen (Windows 8.1) open OblyTile and press the second button on top of OblyTile. (Rebuild cache)
  • If "Rebuild cache" does not work, try >> this <<
  • In case of errors about Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.ValidateKeyName or similar, try >> this <<
  • If the tiles will not react when you click it (the program or file will not be opened) follow those steps VBScript - Fix
Tested on:
Windows 8.1 Professional Build 9600 - 32/64 Bit
Windows 8 Professional Build 9200 - 32/64 Bit
Windows 8 Enterprise Build 9200 - 32/64 Bit
Microsoft Surface RT 32GB /w Jailbreak (Thanks to netham45)

Use this program at your own risk.

Download from:

Dropbox:
OblyTile v0.9.8.exe [MD5]

Firedrive:

OneDrive:

Mega:

App Images:
Click image for larger version

Name:	OblyTile v0.9.8.jpg
Views:	2018
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	2602099 Click image for larger version

Name:	Update 0.9.5 - 2.jpg
Views:	6993
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	2362073 Click image for larger version

Name:	OblyTile v0.9.1 Screen 2.jpg
Views:	17545
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1837929 Click image for larger version

Name:	OblyTile v0.8.8 Quick List.jpg
Views:	41882
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	1505786 Click image for larger version

Name:	OblyTile v0.7 - 1.jpg
Views:	53103
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	1404991 Click image for larger version

Name:	OblyTile v0.7 - 2.jpg
Views:	35366
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	1358506
The Following 280 Users Say Thank You to Argony-OT For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Pasquiindustry
Old
Thanks Meter 41

DONATE TO ME
Good work. When I go on Windows 8 I will try this program
Link to my website, translated with google translator
My exlusive games, application, hacks, tweaks and more
> ModernApp Link 2.3 allow to create desktop shortcut to windows 8 metro app
> ModernBack changer 2.8 let you to change accent colors and background in Windows 8 RTM
> ModernLogin 3.0 UPDATED!!! Winddows 8 Lockscreen and Pattern Login simulator for all Windows!
> ShowTabTip 1.0 NEW!!! Resolve the "not appearing" touch keyboard issue in Windows 8
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pasquiindustry For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Otinademoniac
Old
(Last edited by Otinademoniac; 23rd September 2012 at 09:28 AM.)
Thanks Meter 18
As I said in my topic, I think I love you :P It just works! Fantastic!

BTW, is there any way to display the application name in the tile?

(O.T. : fun fact, the three of us who actually posted in this topic are actually italian :P)

Argony-OT
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 475

DONATE TO ME
I'm glad you like the app

About the application name on the main tile, for the moment the only way is to add it directly on the image (png), ill try to fix this problem on a new version.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Argony-OT For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kasinao
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Argony-OT i love you too!!!!
i searh a progam like this since the beginning of Windows 8!!

Otinademoniac
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Hi, I've posted some screenshot of the evolution of my start page using OblyTile HERE, feel free to have a look if you'd like

Also, I've done a model for GIMP for creating tiles (including the right dimension of the image and the correct font and size of it) and a ZIP archives with the tiles i've created.

Some of them comes from a FANTASTIC metro UI tiles set that Devianart user ~dAKirby309 created. You can find the whole set HERE, check it out! The other ones are made by images of the games and the applications I own, searching 'em on Google Images.

Hope this helps the community!
Attached Files
File Type: zip tile_layout.xcf.zip - [Click for QR Code] (4.2 KB, 3013 views)
File Type: zip Various Tiles.zip - [Click for QR Code] (826.9 KB, 4823 views)
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Otinademoniac For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Pasquiindustry
Old
Thanks Meter 41

DONATE TO ME
OK, I've tried it and it function!
As you write, not 120px images are showed and there is blue-tile background, but for now it is ok.
If you can, you can add support for 2 images live tile and large tile (I know that it's difficult, but you're on right way )
> ModernBack changer 2.8 let you to change accent colors and background in Windows 8 RTM
> ModernLogin 3.0 UPDATED!!! Winddows 8 Lockscreen and Pattern Login simulator for all Windows!
> ShowTabTip 1.0 NEW!!! Resolve the "not appearing" touch keyboard issue in Windows 8

Otinademoniac
Old
(Last edited by Otinademoniac; 24th September 2012 at 02:42 PM.)
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquiindustry View Post
OK, I've tried it and it function!
As you write, not 120px images are showed and there is blue-tile background, but for now it is ok.
If you can, you can add support for 2 images live tile and large tile (I know that it's difficult, but you're on right way )
I told about your app to a friend of mine in http://www.windowsblogitalia.com and they posted about it, prepare to get somehow famous :P

Pasquiindustry
Old
Thanks Meter 41

DONATE TO ME
Italians do it better XD
The WindowsBlogItalia team is very good, so they pubblish the application in a bit time.
@Argony-OT I advice you to shortlink with goo.gl the download link to get how people download the tool

Argony-OT
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 475

DONATE TO ME
@Pasquiindustry Thanks for your feedback/advice.
@Otinademoniac Thanks for sharing your Gimp Model, im sure it will help peoples to create their Tiles and thanks for sharing OblyTile with others.

I'm trying to figure out a way to create bigger tiles (ractangular 248 x 120), and also, working on more colors for the background tile.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Argony-OT For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
creator, metro, startmenu, tile, windows 8