Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,650 Members 40,223 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] OblyTile - Tile Creator for all programs.

Tip us?

Argony-OT
Old
(Last edited by Argony-OT; 31st July 2014 at 06:46 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 497

DONATE TO ME
Default [APP] OblyTile - Tile Creator for all programs.

This program is meant to create tiles to the Windows 8/8.1 start screen.

I created it in vb.net using SharpDevelop, it works for all programs/folder/files/websites.

The program will store the image files inside the folder "C:\Program Files\OblyTile" and create the Shortcut .LNK file inside the StartMenu folder.

If you want to remove a Tile, right click it on the start screen/menu and select "Remove From Start" or select a tile on the OblyTile Created Tile list and press the recycle bin button located on bottom right of OblyTile.

OblyTile has support for command line, you can check the list of available commands by running OblyTile with the "/?" as argument.

To remove OblyTile and revert to default windows settings you have to run OblyTile as administrator and click the Remove button located in the settings menu [Click the Wrench icon on top of OblyTile to access the settings menu]

Old Versions:
OblyTile v0.5 (ChangeLog)
OblyTile v0.7/0.7.1 (ChangeLog)
OblyTile v0.8 (ChangeLog)
OblyTile v0.8.2 (ChangeLog)
OblyTile v0.8.6 (ChangeLog)
OblyTile v0.8.8 (ChangeLog)
OblyTile v0.9 (ChangeLog)
OblyTile v0.9.1 (ChangeLog)
OblyTile v0.9.5 (ChangeLog)
OblyTile v0.9.7 (ChangeLog)
OblyTile v0.9.8 (ChangeLog)

Latest Version:
OblyTile v0.9.9

ChangeLog:
  • [Win 8.1] Added ability to pin the Tiles at different Sizes when created/edited. [Via UI or Command Line Arguments]
  • [Win 8.1] OblyTile will now export and import tiles in correct order and size. [No groups]
  • Added "Desktop" in the QuickList.
  • New tiles will be shown with proper name and icon on Classic Shell. [32px icon only]
  • Enhanced the OblyTile "Remove" function. [You can find it in the Settings menu]
  • Tile exporter will create a new backup folder just in case you want to keep old backups.
  • Possible fix for the Browser/Home keyboard button not opening the correct web browser.
  • Fixed issue with the tile preview showing double borders.
  • Fixed issue with the Windows Store Apps list not being able to create desktop/taskbar shortcuts for certain apps.
  • Fixed other minor stuffs.
  • Small changes to the UI. [Dpi, Transitions, Context Menu]
Known Issues:
  • Make a backup of your tiles before upgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, you might lose your custom tiles during the process of upgrade. (Thanks to LLJKRevol)
  • Tiles which contain accented letters in the tile name can be edited only by OblyTile v0.9.8 and above.
  • In order to launch the Immersive mode of your web browser by using a tile made with OblyTile, be sure to close the desktop version of it.
  • If the Browser/Home button doesn't work properly, open OblyTile and press the second button on top of OblyTile. (Rebuild cache)
  • If the tiles are not showed properly (a normal icon is showed) open OblyTile and press the second button on top of OblyTile. (Rebuild cache)
  • If the tiles are visible only on the "App" side of the start screen (Windows 8.1) open OblyTile and press the second button on top of OblyTile. (Rebuild cache)
  • Changing web browser will show multiple entry of Internet Explorer, Use "Set Default Programs" in Control Panel to change your default web browser and then press the Rebuild Cache button on OblyTile.
  • If "Rebuild cache" does not work, try >> this <<
  • In case of the error Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.ValidateKeyName or similar, try >> this <<
  • If the tile will not react when you click it (the program or file will not be opened) follow those steps VBScript - Fix
Tested on:
Windows 8.1 Professional Build 9600 - 32/64 Bit
Windows 8 Professional Build 9200 - 32/64 Bit
Windows 8 Enterprise Build 9200 - 32/64 Bit
Microsoft Surface RT 32GB /w Jailbreak (Thanks to netham45)

Use this program at your own risk.

Download from:

Firedrive:
OblyTile v0.9.9.exe [MD5]

OneDrive:

Mega:

App Images:
Click image for larger version

Name:	OblyTile v0.9.9.gif
Views:	71
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	2877100 Click image for larger version

Name:	Update 0.9.5 - 2.jpg
Views:	9842
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	2362073 Click image for larger version

Name:	OblyTile v0.9.1 Screen 2.jpg
Views:	20439
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1837929 Click image for larger version

Name:	OblyTile v0.8.8 Quick List.jpg
Views:	45405
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	1505786 Click image for larger version

Name:	OblyTile v0.7 - 1.jpg
Views:	56810
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	1404991 Click image for larger version

Name:	OblyTile v0.7 - 2.jpg
Views:	37420
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	1358506
The Following 293 Users Say Thank You to Argony-OT For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Pasquiindustry
Old
Thanks Meter 47

DONATE TO ME
Good work. When I go on Windows 8 I will try this program
Link to my website, translated with google translator
My exlusive games, application, hacks, tweaks and more
Tools (now useless) for Windows 8
ModernApp Link 2.3 - ModernBack changer 2.8
Good tools
ModernLogin 3.0 - ShowTabTip 1.0
You can find me on Windows Phone Store and Windows Store too
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pasquiindustry For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Otinademoniac
Old
(Last edited by Otinademoniac; 23rd September 2012 at 09:28 AM.)
Thanks Meter 18
As I said in my topic, I think I love you :P It just works! Fantastic!

BTW, is there any way to display the application name in the tile?

(O.T. : fun fact, the three of us who actually posted in this topic are actually italian :P)

Argony-OT
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 497

DONATE TO ME
I'm glad you like the app

About the application name on the main tile, for the moment the only way is to add it directly on the image (png), ill try to fix this problem on a new version.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Argony-OT For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kasinao
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Argony-OT i love you too!!!!
i searh a progam like this since the beginning of Windows 8!!

Otinademoniac
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Hi, I've posted some screenshot of the evolution of my start page using OblyTile HERE, feel free to have a look if you'd like

Also, I've done a model for GIMP for creating tiles (including the right dimension of the image and the correct font and size of it) and a ZIP archives with the tiles i've created.

Some of them comes from a FANTASTIC metro UI tiles set that Devianart user ~dAKirby309 created. You can find the whole set HERE, check it out! The other ones are made by images of the games and the applications I own, searching 'em on Google Images.

Hope this helps the community!
Attached Files
File Type: zip tile_layout.xcf.zip - [Click for QR Code] (4.2 KB, 3171 views)
File Type: zip Various Tiles.zip - [Click for QR Code] (826.9 KB, 5074 views)
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Otinademoniac For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Pasquiindustry
Old
Thanks Meter 47

DONATE TO ME
OK, I've tried it and it function!
As you write, not 120px images are showed and there is blue-tile background, but for now it is ok.
If you can, you can add support for 2 images live tile and large tile (I know that it's difficult, but you're on right way )
Good tools

Otinademoniac
Old
(Last edited by Otinademoniac; 24th September 2012 at 02:42 PM.)
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquiindustry View Post
OK, I've tried it and it function!
As you write, not 120px images are showed and there is blue-tile background, but for now it is ok.
If you can, you can add support for 2 images live tile and large tile (I know that it's difficult, but you're on right way )
I told about your app to a friend of mine in http://www.windowsblogitalia.com and they posted about it, prepare to get somehow famous :P

Pasquiindustry
Old
Thanks Meter 47

DONATE TO ME
Italians do it better XD
The WindowsBlogItalia team is very good, so they pubblish the application in a bit time.
@Argony-OT I advice you to shortlink with goo.gl the download link to get how people download the tool
Good tools

Argony-OT
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 497

DONATE TO ME
@Pasquiindustry Thanks for your feedback/advice.
@Otinademoniac Thanks for sharing your Gimp Model, im sure it will help peoples to create their Tiles and thanks for sharing OblyTile with others.

I'm trying to figure out a way to create bigger tiles (ractangular 248 x 120), and also, working on more colors for the background tile.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Argony-OT For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
creator, metro, startmenu, tile, windows 8