Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,559 Members 40,626 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Feedback for Most-Thanked Widget

Tip us?

svetius
Old
User Experience Admin - OP
Thanks Meter 3,215
Talking Feedback for Most-Thanked Widget

On XDA, sometimes you come across a thread with dozens, hundreds, or even thousands of replies. Most normal humans don't have the time to read through such a large number of replies in order to find the most useful posts. Today, we're making it much easier for you to find the best replies that get buried within a thread. Introducing the Most-Thanked Widget. It lives in the sidebar (of the 2013 theme) and displays which posts have received the most amount of Thanks. It's divided into All-Time and Recent to help you find the most timely and useful posts. You can help make the Most-Thanked widget even better by being sure to use the Thanks button whenever you spot a useful post across the XDA Forums.

A few other details:
  • Right now, the Most-Thanked widget is only available for logged-in members as we tweak its performance. However, we'll soon be rolling it out to guests
  • The widget ignore post 1, because most people know that post 1 often contains the most useful information; we didn't want to be redundant
  • All members are limited to eight Thanks per day. Use your Thanks wisely!
  • The Most-Thanked widget is a work in progress! We'll be tweaking its logic over the coming weeks and months to make it as useful as possible. Thanks for your patience. Feel free to provide some feedback here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mostthanked.png
Views:	289
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	1353918  
svetius
-----
User Experience Admin
xda-developers
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to svetius For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Product F(RED)
Old
Thanks Meter 2,582

DONATE TO ME
What a sexy idea.

Quote:
in the 2013 theme.

HTC Evo 4G -> HTC Evo 3D/Nexus S 4G -> Galaxy S II -> iPhone 4S -> Galaxy S II -> Galaxy Nexus -> Galaxy S3 i9300 -> Galaxy Note 2 i317 -> Galaxy Note 2 T889

The Following User Says Thank You to Product F(RED) For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Nigeldg
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,079
^^ Glad to see I'm not the only one who's still on the 2010 theme then :P It's so much nicer and more user friendly IMO.
Primary device: Nexus 4 running Paranoidandroid
Ultimate Nexus 4 Root guide

Secondary device: HTC HD2 running NexusHD2 JB
How to be a new user, and not a noob - Some people REALLY need to read this!
How to flash an HD2 with NAND Android
A guide to all of the terms for the HD2
Android 4.2 keyboard and Camera!

shrome99
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,530
Great idea, brilliant for overcrowded threads. Could you add an "option" or tab to leave out the posts by the OP? Having the posts has both advantages and disadvantages, as the users tend to thank the OP a lot. On the other hand, the OP only posts updates, so not having their post in the tab would be bad. That's why you should add a choice, best for both Maybe just limit the no. of posts by OP to 1 or 2

KidCarter93
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 6,683
Great idea. Thanks for this svetius.
I'm finding it a little bit laggy at the moment but I'd figure that's just because it's only just been implemented. It's not a major lag though

''Evil corrupts the mind of the weak but fails to feed off the mind of the strong''
I'm subscribed to too many threads so I may not notice your reply. To make sure I do, quote my post or add "@KidCarter93" to your reply."
[ m7 | 1.54.401.5 | S-OFF ]
Can't find your answer or not sure where to post? Ask in the XDA Assist Forum
Forum Rules | XDA New User Guide | Getting Moderator Help

"There are 10 types of people in the world - those who understand hexadecimal and F the rest."
Follow me on Twitter - @XDAKidCarter93

orangekid
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 3,049
Yeah this is an awesome idea, but any way to integrate it into the XDA 2010 them for those of us who don't like the 2013 one?

Product F(RED)
Old
Thanks Meter 2,582

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekid View Post
Yeah this is an awesome idea, but any way to integrate it into the XDA 2010 them for those of us who don't like the 2013 one?
Amen.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

HTC Evo 4G -> HTC Evo 3D/Nexus S 4G -> Galaxy S II -> iPhone 4S -> Galaxy S II -> Galaxy Nexus -> Galaxy S3 i9300 -> Galaxy Note 2 i317 -> Galaxy Note 2 T889

KidCarter93
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 6,683
I think they'll probably see how it goes for now and then think about implementing it to a previous version.

''Evil corrupts the mind of the weak but fails to feed off the mind of the strong''
I'm subscribed to too many threads so I may not notice your reply. To make sure I do, quote my post or add "@KidCarter93" to your reply."
[ m7 | 1.54.401.5 | S-OFF ]
Can't find your answer or not sure where to post? Ask in the XDA Assist Forum
Forum Rules | XDA New User Guide | Getting Moderator Help

"There are 10 types of people in the world - those who understand hexadecimal and F the rest."
Follow me on Twitter - @XDAKidCarter93
The Following User Says Thank You to KidCarter93 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AvRS
Old
Thanks Meter 2,600
It's a cool idea and even nicer to see I'm in both all time top 5's of the ICS and JB version of the ROM I support

Only niggle for me is that it takes the place of the existing widget (messages/threads/forums) so you have to go back out of the thread to then see your subscribed threads again. I use this to navigate the threads I want to read as have links to all the forums I moderate so not too bothered about those. Would be cool to have a subscription (or whatever you want to call it) and thanks tab or something along those lines so you can then still have quick access to both when in a thread.

As for those still preferring the 2010 theme, once you're used to it the 2013 theme is so much nicer to use and I've never viewed the portal as much as I do now thanks to the 5 most recent posts always being shown on the sidebar. I love it!
Proud owner of an LG Nexus 5
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AvRS For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kkrraazzyy
Old
Recognized Developer / Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,877

DONATE TO ME
great idea