Search This thread

jmz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 17, 2008
Lawton, OK
www.jmzsoft.com
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Code:
#include /* * Your warranty is now void. * * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. */

Here comes the root for the Nabi 2 and how to install fully work GApps.

You must have a basic working knowledge of adb and have it installed. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1590800
Also ensure you have fastboot installed and working

attachment.php

1. Ensure you have latest updates
2. Download jmzrootpackage.zip from here
3. Extract files to desktop
4. Plug in phone
5. Choose from which option you want

Recovery was built by me but Dees_Troy pointed me in the right direction a couple times

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 167,180
Last edited:

Dropline

Nov 25, 2011
Going to check this out when the kid goes to bed. Thanks.

Sent from my EternityInfected ThunderBolt.

RageAgain

Apr 16, 2011
Union City, GA
Tried it, works!

So pleased to have full root and Play Store!

My Nabi 2 had the android update and the root ran with lots of errors, but I have already installed an app from the Play Store ( Titanium Backup free ) and am running it now....

Now to see if I can get GL to SD to run, and then get a 32GB MicroSDHC card...

Sigh...

I am so sorry, I forgot to say THANKS! Mad props! If I wasn't so broke ( can't even pay my bills right now ) I would definitely donate...

But..

You made poor me SO HAPPY!

Last edited:
Reactions: Lgrootnoob

Dropline

Nov 25, 2011
Worked prefect for me as well. She is going to be happy her missing apps\games are back. Titianium restored her progress on games from her Nabi1, worked like a champ.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Reactions: mgsfoxhound

aloxotls

Nov 23, 2009
Tomball, TX
I tried it a couple of times last night and had to end up doing a recover to get my apps back. Did any of you that successfully rooted your nabi do the software update? Just think they might have changed something in the update to fix the root exploit. If anyone else is able to get their nabi rooted could you please post your log from Bin4ry's program.

jmz

Sep 17, 2008
Lawton, OK
www.jmzsoft.com
Google Pixel 4a 5G
I tried it a couple of times last night and had to end up doing a recover to get my apps back. Did any of you that successfully rooted your nabi do the software update? Just think they might have changed something in the update to fix the root exploit. If anyone else is able to get their nabi rooted could you please post your log from Bin4ry's program.

Doing a reboot a couple times brings your apps back. It will error out throughout the process. But at the end will say successful. If it doesnt first try reboot a couple times to get your data back then try again. I am not the creator of the exploit as I noted so it might be better to ask bin4ry. But I have 2 nabi's and this worked on both. Before and after update. I did have to reroot after update though

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

Reactions: cmai

jmz

Sep 17, 2008
Lawton, OK
www.jmzsoft.com
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Cool, I like twrp better than cwm. Of course I like 4ext recovery the best, but I know that would be asking a lot.

that would be them doing that as it is closed source. I have a couple little bugs to work out on twrp and i will release later tonight. Will completely new instructions that will be much easier to follow

Dropline

Nov 25, 2011
that would be them doing that as it is closed source. I have a couple little bugs to work out on twrp and i will release later tonight. Will completely new instructions that will be much easier to follow

Cool, I look forward to checking it out. I just wish I knew how to mod the actual os, would love to enable "safe headphone volume" mode and "hold back to force close app". Not sure why they have those 2 turned off.

Sent from ROOTed NEXUS7

jmz

Sep 17, 2008
Lawton, OK
www.jmzsoft.com
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Cool, I look forward to checking it out. I just wish I knew how to mod the actual os, would love to enable "safe headphone volume" mode and "hold back to force close app". Not sure why they have those 2 turned off.

Sent from ROOTed NEXUS7

shouldn't be too hard to crank out. since this device is so close to nexus 7, getting cm10 going shouldn't be too much of an issue. I will make a patch to make nabi mode available still though

Dropline

Nov 25, 2011
shouldn't be too hard to crank out. since this device is so close to nexus 7, getting cm10 going shouldn't be too much of an issue. I will make a patch to make nabi mode available still though

I just worry about breaking the monarch ui. My kid is 2-1/2 so I don't want her with a full cm10, yet. ;)

My only experience is abd stuff and a little small tiny bit of theming for htc sense using the kitchen. Modding the settings menu just sounds so much harder. Or should I say so much easier to mess something up bad.

Last edited:

jmz

Sep 17, 2008
Lawton, OK
www.jmzsoft.com
Google Pixel 4a 5G
I just worry about breaking the monarch ui. My kid is 2-1/2 so I don't want her with a full cm10, yet. ;)

My only experience is abd stuff and a little small tiny bit of theming for htc sense using the kitchen. Modding the settings menu just sounds so much harder. Or should I say so much easier to mess something up bad.

Well really as long as you don't touch /system/vendor you won't break monarch. You remove vendor you will have a normal tablet.

Dropline

Nov 25, 2011
Well really as long as you don't touch /system/vendor you won't break monarch. You remove vendor you will have a normal tablet.

Good to know, thanks.

Also I am going to check this out this weekend...
[GUIDE] [how to] CREATE OWN ROM [FOR ANY ANDROID DEVICE] [FOR N00B] [EASIEST METHODS]
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1801690

I think it could help me figure out how to do that mod I want to do, at least I hope it will help with that.

shabbypenguin

May 30, 2010
i was actually looking to pick one up, couldnt convince the wife my 13 month old needed one tho >.> IMO its a bit nicer than the n7 due to expandable memory and hdmi out.

however fuhu/nabi refuses to release source for kernel

Dropline

Nov 25, 2011
i was actually looking to pick one up, couldnt convince the wife my 13 month old needed one tho >.> IMO its a bit nicer than the n7 due to expandable memory and hdmi out.

however fuhu/nabi refuses to release source for kernel

My kid was under 1 year when we gave it to her. But in the beginning it was more start something for her and hand it over, now at 18months she knows how to take it off the charger and use it all on her own.

13 months is PERFECT get them started young, they need all the advantages they can get.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    #include /* * Your warranty is now void. * * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. */

Here comes the root for the Nabi 2 and how to install fully work GApps.

You must have a basic working knowledge of adb and have it installed. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1590800
    Also ensure you have fastboot installed and working

attachment.php

1. Ensure you have latest updates
    2. Download jmzrootpackage.zip from here
    3. Extract files to desktop
    4. Plug in phone
    5. Choose from which option you want

Recovery was built by me but Dees_Troy pointed me in the right direction a couple times
    This thread has slowed down...

Got a new tool for you guys to play with.

Nabi Lab!

EDIT: I found a bug today. During lock screen modding the 1st prompt tells you image must be 1440x903, and the second 1400x903. The proper size is 1440 x 903

haha

Drivers.
    Root, backup, gapps,
    Return to stock condition.
    TWRP recoveries.(new symlinked partitions) see if this fixes some of the last of the TWRP errors for different Nabi's
    General Information display
    Lockscreen modding(Saves the zip to folder besides installing, hopefully makes it easier for people to do it, and we can get some sharing of lockscreens)

This is very much alpha. If you play with it you have to have a backup, until bugs are worked out.

There is a lite version and a full version. Only difference is lite doesn't have a full 1.9.37 stock backup, so it's 100MB, versus 1.2GB. Any fixes will be small patches 1MB at the most. Full version is really only for those needing to go back to stock and don't have a backup.

Lite: https://www.box.com/s/z8f6ibz05h22jzm4uxx4 93MB
    Lite: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B024tOntNFbbMU95N1g3c2tXSHc 93MB
    Full: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B024tOntNFbbU0E5cm1GdFUxRFE 1.2GB

I have worked through a restore to stock, flash Gapps, Root, and make backup. Installed TWRP. Changed lockscreen. Installed drivers. So I believe it's safe at this point to have a few people test. Read the directions. I'll upload a video showing it in action if you're hesitant. I'd like a few testers to work through the screens. Plug in multiple Android devices and see if it detects the conflict. It doesn't always stop you if you have 2 devices plugged in, just see if it's warning you. Try a few things out and see what bugs there are.

You Tube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvrooV9aPyI

nabilab.png

nabilab1.png

nabilab2.png

nabilab3.png

nabilab4.png
    Well this is a HUGE mess now is it! Are we all bathing in children's tears... :p

I think most of the 2nd OTA issues stem from either TWRP deleting some files to protect it's self, or the fact people have taken ROM restores, which unlike going the OTA route don't deal with any changes to the addon partition, and the 2nd OTA is not seeing the files on that partition it expects.

For those that completed the first OTA but not the second this might get around the issues, by deleting recovery checks, and copying the full apks to addon. Use TWRP to "install it"

OTA2mod

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The second method might help people that have a complete disaster going on.

Download the first file. It is the stock rom for 2.3.11. You need to put it in TWRP/BACKUPS/XXX/folder where "XXX "is your serial and "folder" is a name of your choice. "Restore" from this folder boot and system

This will give you the stock ROM but it will not be bootable because you are still on ICS bootloader, and you have made no proper changes to addon. So BEFORE reboot take the second file addonfix and "install" it. It should install stock 2.3.11 addons, update the bootloader and perform some Nabi setup magic. Now reboot.

2311stockROM

addonfix.zip

Keep in mind the need to switch TWRP version afterward. http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=47306565&postcount=67

Hopefully this helps the normal US users straight. Still have a couple people with partition mods that need to be undone, and I'm not sure what to do about the UK users. I have someone who said they would give me a stock UK image, but I haven't got it yet, and I'm not sure how that is going to help with those that want this update on a UK version, but it could at least get them back to where they started if this isnt working for them.
    You all get the new update v2.4.6?

States as Google Security Fixes. I uploaded it for you all if you need or want it. Pulled it from my Nabi2. Have not installed it yet. Want to check it out first.

Download : v2.4.6 OTA ( 165 MB )

Yep. Seems a rather simple update when peeking inside. Does another bootloader update though. TWRP still works fine.

Here is the full stock Nabi 2.4.6 image. system, boot, addon, recovery

246stock.zip

Here is a flashable bootloader update

JB246bootloader

With those 2 files it should allow any Nabi in any condition to return to stock 2.4.6. Like the previous procedure extract the images to your TWRP backup folder and restore all, then before reboot "install" the JB246bootloader.zip. Basically this http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51037177&postcount=21 but with 246stock.zip in place of 2311stock and 2311addon zips, and the 246 bootloader zip instead of the old JBbootloader zip

Then here are some TWRP flashable OTA's, we are all kind of all over the map so making an update for everyone isn't so easy.

First TWRP flashable zip is for anyone that has rooted, has done a lock screen mod, used the 4 way reboot menu, or edited the build.prop. It will undo those changes and then do OTA

2311to246.zip

The second I have no idea if will even work. It's for anyone that applied the minimal Nabi zip awhile back. I can't test it but it ignores all those files. DONT use this one unless you know you flashed the minimal Nabi and even then it may not work.

2311to246minimal.zip

Finally I new TWRP

Nabi Specific: Add 2.4.6 kernel

TWRP Changes

Add GUI option to change or repair file systems on individual partitions. The change is destructive so backup your data including internal sdcard first. This option should make it a little easier to migrate a device from ext4 -> f2fs, for instance. You will find this option under Wipe -> Advanced Wipe, then select only one partition and then press the Repair or Change File System button. If a developer has added f2fs support for your device and we don't have it in TWRP, please contact me via PM to arrange for it to be added.
    Various bugfixes to backup and restore
    Improvements to USB storage handling
    Added a class to search for files to make finding the correct brightness file automatic in most cases
    Various other bugfixes and tweaks

NABI2JBTWRP271.zip (fastboot)

twrp-recovery-JBNV7AUS-271.zip (flashable)

Latest device tree for building recovery with Omni 4.4.4 as base with 2.4.6 kernel

https://github.com/aicjofs/android_device_fuhu_mt799_omni

There ya go just enough to cause a lot of chaos. It's been too quite around here anyway... :p
    Ok I managed to fit everything in the recovery(exfat/super user) at 8MB and changed the color space so that Aroma works but the colors aren't all crazy. Added the Nabi theme back in.

3.0.13 users can flash 285 for KK

Everyone else(Disney, Nick, UK, original 2.4.6 and below) should use 285 for JB
    EDIT: Note Disney and Nick have received KK update since this post was made.