ICS 4.0 Sources Out - All discussions here!

OP PG101

1st October 2012, 06:07 PM   |  #5961  
Thanks Meter: 100

439 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lopiop

just tipped GSMArena, lol
ICS update has been delayed for the umpteenth time. As a popular news and blog that is GSMARena, I hope that the news of LG not providing timely updates would be posted to serve as wake up call for such sloppy and incompetent companies. Do the right thing, GSMArena, or at least spread the hate towards LG Mobile Division.
Best Regards

To what e-mail did you send the email? I mean, I sent them a tip too about LG being late again and they did not respond or publish an article

Sent from my Optimus 2X using xda app-developers app
1st October 2012, 06:10 PM   |  #5962  
Thanks Meter: 121

667 posts
just go to the site and click tip us, im sure they treat my message as some sort of spam message
1st October 2012, 06:46 PM   |  #5963  
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
So, again, there's no ETA for ICS?
1st October 2012, 06:49 PM   |  #5964  
Flag Port Elizabeth
Thanks Meter: 1,844

2,437 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lopiop

just go to the site and click tip us, im sure they treat my message as some sort of spam message

They don't really care engadget also LG has silenced them imo to them if its not apple or samsung its not news
1st October 2012, 08:36 PM   |  #5965  
Flag Maracaibo
Thanks Meter: 79

182 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sörnäinen

For me that means I am trying to get a Xiaomi Mi2, but it's tricky. Maybe in the end I switch to Windows and Nokia. I am not sure if it will be better there, but it CAN'T be worse.

It can be worse. Old Windows mobile phones can't be upgraded to Windows phone 7. WP7 phone's can't be upgraded to wp7.5 (not completely sure about that). WP7.5 phone's can't be upgraded to wp8, only to wp7.8 which is a consolation prize.
The software is closed source, so there's no custom roms, if you're not happy with what you get there's no way of changing anything. No customizability whatsoever, only the color of the squares, not even wallpapers... So imo it can be worse.

LG optimus 2x, rom Gueste Hybrid 3.7
The Following User Says Thank You to daas88 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st October 2012, 08:52 PM   |  #5966  
Thanks Meter: 25

99 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daas88

It can be worse. Old Windows mobile phones can't be upgraded to Windows phone 7. WP7 phone's can't be upgraded to wp7.5 (not completely sure about that). WP7.5 phone's can't be upgraded to wp8, only to wp7.8 which is a consolation prize.
The software is closed source, so there's no custom roms, if you're not happy with what you get there's no way of changing anything. No customizability whatsoever, only the color of the squares, not even wallpapers... So imo it can be worse.

LG optimus 2x, rom Gueste Hybrid 3.7

Ok but....we don't give a **** about wp!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to H€¥ For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st October 2012, 09:04 PM   |  #5967  
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 245

738 posts
More
so, if anyone here wants a spare P990 to run tests on, I'm happy to oblige as I really want to sell mine now. It's more prone to bugs than my backup HTC Desire Z anyways. Using CM7.2 with the etana kernel worked well, but I still encountered crashes and other glitches (including airplane mode turning on by itself after a reboot then taking forever to turn off) that never happened at all on my trusty DZ.

Currently browsing on Kijiji and ebay for good deals on a Galaxy Nexus, HTC One S, Galaxy S2, or a high end Xperia without SE's idiotic bootloader policy.

As for Windows Phone... if there's one positive thing I can say about it, it's that MS enforces hardware and software standardization regardless of manufacturer so that updates can be delivered across the board (yes I know 7.5 can't be updated to 8, but the updates that do come to 7.5 will be received by EVERY 7.5 handset). If we had this kind of "universality" in Android then we wouldn't have to deal with sh!tty OEM UIs (looking at you, HTC Sense) and of course this LG O2X update fiasco!

And on that topic, the only way I would buy another LG phone is if it were either a Nexus, or shared most components with a Nexus like how all the WPs have more or less the same CPU and RAM just with different screen size, storage, and cameras.

It's a shame because I can get the LG Optimus LTE which has good specs and official CM9 for only $200, but this O2X disaster makes me hesitant to buy it, instead I focus on the aforementioned alternatives which cost at least $50 more.

For now, I'm back to my DZ while my O2x is wiped (but still running CM7.2 with etana kernel) so that I don't drain the battery any further before it's sold.
Last edited by machoman1337; 1st October 2012 at 09:09 PM.
1st October 2012, 09:09 PM   |  #5968  
Recognized Developer / Contributor
Thanks Meter: 33,470

4,774 posts
Donate to Me
I got a free wifi pass at my hotel so I thought let's do a quick read through xda.
I read the 30 new pages in this thread as well, do you think I need psychological help?

Anyways, as someone else (mustangtim) wrote about it in the G2x section I can finally write it without some stupid hints here as well:
Ricardo has a fully working P990 CM10 version (yes, with hwa). He got an earlier su660 ics dev leak directly from LG, even before leaks were on their server.
The leak was a little different though, he was able to boot with the kernel.
Long story short: jb runs great. He can't release it as he can't damage his good relationship to LG, I think you can understand that - so don't bug him about it.
I'm just writing this to answer the people who have doubts.
We will get cm10 as soon as the su660 kernel source drops. And it does run great on our hardware.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
Last edited by tonyp; 1st October 2012 at 09:19 PM.
The Following 93 Users Say Thank You to tonyp For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st October 2012, 09:15 PM   |  #5969  
Thanks Meter: 10

84 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp

I got a free wifi pass at my hotel so I thought let's do a quick read through xda.
I read the 30 new pages in this thread as well, do you think I need psychological help?

Anyways, as someone else (mustangtim) wrote about it in the G2x section I can finally write it without some stupid hints here as well:
Ricardo has a fully working P990 JB version (yes, with hwa). He got an earlier su660 ics dev leak directly from LG, even before leaks were on their server.
Long story short: ics runs great. He can't release it as he can't damage his good relationship to LG, I think you can understand that - so don't bug him about it.
We will get cm10 as soon as the su660 kernel source drops. And it does run great on our hardware.

What a delicious thing to be read
1st October 2012, 09:16 PM   |  #5970  
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 245

738 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp

Ricardo has a fully working P990 JB version (yes, with hwa). He got an earlier su660 ics dev leak directly from LG, even before leaks were on their server.
Long story short: ics runs great. He can't release it as he can't damage his good relationship to LG, I think you can understand that - so don't bug him about it.

Holy smokes... right when I had given up and switched to my DZ in preparation for a sale of my P990. Thanks man!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ice cream sandwich, ics, samsung galaxy r
Previous Thread Next Thread