Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

AOSP/AOKP MMS.apk with Quick Reply Working on Touchwiz based ROMs!!!

OP Randy Savage

2nd October 2012, 12:52 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Columbia
Thanks Meter: 7

3 posts
More
Stumbled upon this recent discovery and just wanted to share the wealth! I extracted the MMS.apk from AOKP build 4 to see if it would work with Touchwiz and it does! Quick reply in the notifications window and all. Install it like any other system app; you'll need to be rooted and have a root explorer:

1. Download MMS.apk from below
2. Move to SD Card
3. ***Backup Touchwiz Messaging App "SecMMS.apk"*** by renaming the file to "SecMMS.apk.bak"
4. Move the downloaded MMS.apk to system/app
5. Fix Permissions to rw-r-r
6. Reboot
7. Hit your dougie or other victory dance of your choosing

I've attached screenshots to show that this is indeed working. The ROM I tried it on is incubus' JellyWiz RLS7 but it should work on any rom. I'm not responsible if you brick your phone or mess up your messaging app but it's pretty straight forward! If you're scared, go to church... or just nandroid

This is my first "helpful" post so if it's in the wrong section or if I've done something else that may cause WWIII than just let me know and I will fix it. I didn't see any other threads like this one though!

Edit: Didn't test thoroughly enough and as other users have pointed out, it FC's when trying to send or receive a picture message. Still, for someone who likes the quick reply, emoji, look and feel of AOSP, I think that it's a small price to pay. Also, this will ONLY work on Jelly Bean Roms!

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1349131660638.jpg
Views:	1934
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	1368830   Click image for larger version

Name:	1349131691146.jpg
Views:	1789
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	1368831  
Attached Files
File Type: apk Mms.apk - [Click for QR Code] (2.96 MB, 836 views)
Last edited by Randy Savage; 2nd October 2012 at 02:32 AM. Reason: FC on MMS send/receive
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Randy Savage For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd October 2012, 01:06 AM   |  #2  
Flag Upstate , SC
Thanks Meter: 45

669 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Savage

Stumbled upon this recent discovery and just wanted to share the wealth! I extracted the MMS.apk from AOKP build 4 to see if it would work with Touchwiz and it does! Quick reply in the notifications window and all. Install it like any other system app; you'll need to be rooted and have a root explorer:

2. Move to SD Card
3. ***Backup Touchwiz Messaging App "SecMMS.apk"*** by renaming the file to "SecMMS.apk.bak"
6. Reboot

I've attached screenshots to show that this is indeed working. The ROM I tried it on is incubus' JellyWiz RLS7 but it should work on any rom. I'm not responsible if you brick your phone or mess up your messaging app but it's pretty straight forward! If you're scared, go to church... or just nandroid

This is my first "helpful" post so if it's in the wrong section or if I've done something else that may cause WWIII than just let me know and I will fix it. I didn't see any other threads like this one though!

Where you able to send a pic message

Edit: FC when trying to send a mms
Last edited by ieisha; 2nd October 2012 at 01:22 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ieisha For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd October 2012, 01:07 AM   |  #3  
Flag Virginia
Thanks Meter: 1,138

1,986 posts
More
You should probably add that this will only work on jellybean based roms.

Edit: i'd like to point out that this isn't the most recent version of CM's messaging app. It's missing a lot of the things that they added.
Last edited by Neverendingxsin; 2nd October 2012 at 01:17 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Neverendingxsin For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd October 2012, 01:15 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 22

102 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Savage

2. Move to SD Card
6. Reboot

it crashes when you send or recieve mms
The Following User Says Thank You to S1nc3r3 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd October 2012, 02:43 AM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Hellz Kitchen, NYC
Thanks Meter: 907

2,831 posts
More
Would love to have this though! Its a start...
3rd October 2012, 07:35 AM   |  #6  
Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 120

649 posts
More
I've been trying to get this to work since the day I bought the phone. I was using (and still am on my work phone) an inverted AOSP MMS.apk that I just absolutely dig. I was sad when it didn't work on Touchwiz ROMS.

I dug a bit deeper. I got to where you guys were at, I managed to get it to install on a JB TW ROM but it crashed on MMS, just as you all are experiencing. I dug deeper.

I next tried a logcat to see if I could sniff out the issue. Nothing was glaringly obvious as being the issue. I even went so far as to Pastebin it for a well known dev on here, and he pointed it to it being the Gallery as being the issue. Since it's an AOSP app, it was probably looking for an AOSP Gallery. So I tried that. I replaced the TW Gallery with the AOSP Gallery. Still, nothing. The dev hasn't had time to really help me out since, he's a pretty busy guy and isn't even supporting the device, he was more helping me since we're more friends than anything else.

I'm going to see if I can get ahold of another dev on here and see if he can spare some time to help. Problem is, he doesn't have this phone, but I do believe he has a Galaxy Note, or the Skyrocket. I PM'd a few devs supporting our phone with ROM's to ask if they could help, and I didn't receive a response. If anyone knows anyone who can help, I'd be glad to pass along what I have.

I would REALLY like to get this working on TW ROM's. I'd settle for the old school AOSP inverted one I'm using, but the CM/AOKP one is probably pretty similar.
5th October 2012, 08:01 AM   |  #7  
Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 120

649 posts
More
I managed to get an ICS, AKA non Quick Reply version, working with TW builds. Should work with any ICS/JB builds. The file is here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1921429
The Following User Says Thank You to mexiken For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th October 2012, 07:57 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 12

149 posts
More
Can someone tell me wat im doing wrong or wat exactly im missing...i followed the instructions and the app itself is working but it's not popping up

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium
7th October 2012, 10:40 AM   |  #9  
Flag Batangas
Thanks Meter: 44

189 posts
More
It's not threading? Any help?

Sent from my GT-I9300
7th October 2012, 12:00 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 296

1,012 posts
Op should really take the time to update his apps lol.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread