i9305 (SIII LTE/4G International) root - Warning

Search This thread

Kaibosh

Aug 18, 2010
Melbourne
Posted here for lack of a i9305 forum at the moment..

So any new owners of the international S3 4G/LTE (GT-I9305), Australian or otherwise, who have been eager to root may have google it, and come up with the post at http://www.trickytweaks.com/how-to-root-s3-i9305-4g-xxali4-4-1-1-jelly-bean-australian.html - and against their better judgement (and lack of other options since the phone's release is so limited thus far), been tempted to give it a shot hoping that it was accurate.

Don't.

The page gives fairly detailed instructions (albeit in broken english) stating that CF-Root 6.4 works a treat. The model number is listed specifically, and the instructions are fairly complete - surely it must be correct!.. Nope. Multiple bricked devices that I'm aware of (mine being amongst them).

This thread posted as a warning to anyone who may consider it, and hopefully finds this first as comments on the "instruction" page aren't being posted (awaiting moderation). It's being discussed in a few other threads - a dedicated thread is just to increase visibility to anyone who may search.

No comments pointing out how silly it was to attempt are necessary as anyone who's attempted it are already painfully aware :)

Update 28/09 - The page that this warning was about has been removed, and a working root method has been posted (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1906351), so this thread is now redundant. While I haven't personally tried the new root method yet (a bit gun shy since my previous rooting attempt!), multiple other users have posted that it works.

Last edited:

nodstuff

Apr 2, 2010
Cork
The people that write for that site are retarded, we've known this for a while now.
Sorry you didn't hear about it until it was too late.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

kamsky

Sep 20, 2012
Thanks for putting this up. What have we learnt from this? ALWAYS BACK OUR EFS FOLDER UP BEFORE FLASHING CUSTOM ROMS. I'm still upset mate that we bricked our phones on the first day! So guys please do not flash this phone until ChainFire officially supports it.

Kangburra

Sep 7, 2007
I think that site should have a sticky warning, nothing good has come from it, just spam and bricked phones.

Badelhas

Aug 12, 2012
Braga
I am really sorry to hear that you bricked your phone.
I was hoping to be able to trade my 9300 with a s3 that has 2gb of ram and lte, along with the quad core. I bought my phone a month ago and already there is a better phone available. The thing is that the lte band adopted by my country's carriers, at least until now, is the 800Mhz band so the 9305 won't work, I believe. So the korean version, k210s, would work because it's lte band is also 800Mhz. What I would like to know from you owners is if its indeed faster and smoother than the international version. For instance, what is your stock rom quadrant benchmark score? What about hspa+ speed test, what are your results?

btemtd

Aug 8, 2012
I am really sorry to hear that you bricked your phone.
I was hoping to be able to trade my 9300 with a s3 that has 2gb of ram and lte, along with the quad core. I bought my phone a month ago and already there is a better phone available. The thing is that the lte band adopted by my country's carriers, at least until now, is the 800Mhz band so the 9305 won't work, I believe. So the korean version, k210s, would work because it's lte band is also 800Mhz. What I would like to know from you owners is if its indeed faster and smoother than the international version. For instance, what is your stock rom quadrant benchmark score? What about hspa+ speed test, what are your results?

the korean version is thicker as it has a dmb antenna that slides out of it, pretty ugly when its out actually seen in a few pics.

zulu99

Jan 6, 2009
Last edited:

Badelhas

Aug 12, 2012
Braga
The GT-i9305 use the frequencies 800 Mhz 1800 Mhz 2600 Mhz you can use it in all Europe

The GT-i9305T use only the frequencies 1800 Mhz and 2600 Mhz not work on 800 Mhz

The frequency 800 MHz is the best because it travels farther, with a single cell covers a wider area
The frequency 2600 MHz is faster but cover small area.

http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=3789&c=samsung_gt-i9305_galaxy_s_iii_lte_eu

http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=3861&c=samsung_gt-i9305t_galaxy_s_iii_4g

Thanks, I didn't even know that there are 2 versions of the 9305. Just a correction, the 9305 does not use the 1800 Mhz z frequency. Also thank you for the explanation on the different bands. Do you know where we can buy the gt-i9305 unlocked?

Last edited:

Kaibosh

Aug 18, 2010
Melbourne
<sigh>

Samsung repair centre says that it needs hardware replaced. Not too sure of the details (since other phones can apparently have the iemi restored with software).

I guess I just wait and see..

Kaibosh

Aug 18, 2010
Melbourne
@kahjuay: Yep - stock rom was reflashed through Odin, but EFS was toast - iemi showed up as "null/null".. Mine went back to Samsung and they're fixing it. They've said that it needs the mainboard replaced, and they're currently waiting on parts.. For some reason, they're doing it under warranty, so I'm not going to argue as to whether it's a software or hardware fix :)

Badelhas

Aug 12, 2012
Braga
the korean version is thicker as it has a dmb antenna that slides out of it, pretty ugly when its out actually seen in a few pics.

That didn't answer any of the questions. The korean version is thicker but has the same quadcore 2GBram & LTE so it must be very similar but would like to know It's performance from a real owner.

mick.wheelz

May 20, 2008
Brisbane
i've created a custom rom that will give you root (but NO other customizations) on the i9305 (australia - optus)

will post it + a tutorial soon, so if anyone else is looking to do this, please wait. Don't try any other method at this stage. I've spend ages resarching and eventually created my own.

Reactions: poczynek

poczynek

Jul 10, 2012
Sydney
i've created a custom rom that will give you root (but NO other customizations) on the i9305 (australia - optus)

will post it + a tutorial soon, so if anyone else is looking to do this, please wait. Don't try any other method at this stage. I've spend ages resarching and eventually created my own.

Oh man that's great news! Fantastic work. Just got an i9305 and been hanging to root it.

btemtd

Aug 8, 2012
You need to wait for some one to have side by side or just watch the YouTube video like most of us had watched comparing the Korean performance to international one
can't remember the link it's in the other i9305 thread

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

Kaibosh

Aug 18, 2010
Melbourne
Picked up phone, covered under warranty (mainboard was replaced). I may have just been lucky in it being a warranty fix.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Posted here for lack of a i9305 forum at the moment..

So any new owners of the international S3 4G/LTE (GT-I9305), Australian or otherwise, who have been eager to root may have google it, and come up with the post at http://www.trickytweaks.com/how-to-root-s3-i9305-4g-xxali4-4-1-1-jelly-bean-australian.html - and against their better judgement (and lack of other options since the phone's release is so limited thus far), been tempted to give it a shot hoping that it was accurate.

Don't.

The page gives fairly detailed instructions (albeit in broken english) stating that CF-Root 6.4 works a treat. The model number is listed specifically, and the instructions are fairly complete - surely it must be correct!.. Nope. Multiple bricked devices that I'm aware of (mine being amongst them).

This thread posted as a warning to anyone who may consider it, and hopefully finds this first as comments on the "instruction" page aren't being posted (awaiting moderation). It's being discussed in a few other threads - a dedicated thread is just to increase visibility to anyone who may search.

No comments pointing out how silly it was to attempt are necessary as anyone who's attempted it are already painfully aware :)

Update 28/09 - The page that this warning was about has been removed, and a working root method has been posted (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1906351), so this thread is now redundant. While I haven't personally tried the new root method yet (a bit gun shy since my previous rooting attempt!), multiple other users have posted that it works.
    The GT-i9305 use the frequencies 800 Mhz 1800 Mhz 2600 Mhz you can use it in all Europe

The GT-i9305T use only the frequencies 1800 Mhz and 2600 Mhz not work on 800 Mhz

The frequency 800 MHz is the best because it travels farther, with a single cell covers a wider area
    The frequency 2600 MHz is faster but cover small area.

http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=3789&c=samsung_gt-i9305_galaxy_s_iii_lte_eu

http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=3861&c=samsung_gt-i9305t_galaxy_s_iii_4g

I wouldn't take the pdadb.net specs as gospel - the i9305T isn't available yet, and it's unlikely (based on existing i9xxx versus i9xxxT models) that an entire band would not be supported in the T.