Announcement: Do You have a Soft-Bricked Eris?

Search This thread

Paul.ryan

Apr 25, 2012
Just trying to understand & get s off bootloader

I bought an Eris that was stuck at skating androids. I started flashing PM00IMG zips via hboot until one worked. One did "Leak-V3".
Now I have the (1.49 s on) bootloader but I want the (1.49 s off) bootloader. I've done some searching & this is the only thread I've found that has working links to necessary files. I admit to being a noob & I don't completely understand all of the steps here or if I need them all.
I have the 1.51 bootloader part finished & unlocked but don't fully understand this part. Do I even need it? I think yes.

"create a zip file with a custom recovery image in it (named "recovery.img"), and an "android-info.txt" file with MainVer set to 2.42.0000 (see step #3 of this XDA post)"

I may be the only one doesn't get this but how exactly do I create this zip file & why isn't it already pre-packaged like everything else. No I'm not lazy. I've unzipped files and added or replaced parts and re-zipped them. For my own use I created a custom gapps package this way. I've followed the links here and read the whole post on Android Central where this idea was born. I could have missed something but I've been at this for a week.
One other part I don't get is this.

"using fastboot and the phone in RUU mode, flash this zip file ("fastboot flash zip zipfilename.zip") Again, see step #3 of the link above"

What is RUU mode? I've used fastboot already and think that they really mean boot the phone into fastboot because I've searched for RUU mode and all I find are posts that say put the phone in RUU mode & never how to do that. If fastboot is what is meant why not just say it.

I understand that some of the steps are to recover a phone with bad memory blocks & I don't think that I need them. I'm very cautious when doing these things and like to understand all of the steps so that I don't become a desperate android owner. :)
Something that I would like to have seen in this guide is a brief description of the purpose of each of the files used. I like very detailed instructions & find that details head off some problems & many questions. The first time I rooted an OG Droid I followed an awesome guide. Still screwed up 3 times but kept going back to the guide till I got it right. So I understand good instructions must be followed accurately.

Sorry for the long post. l'm trying to be thorough.

Last edited:

doogald

May 27, 2010
I bought an Eris that was stuck at skating androids. I started flashing PM00IMG zips via hboot until one worked. One did "Leak-V3".
Now I have the (1.49 s on) bootloader but I want the (1.49 s off) bootloader. I've done some searching & this is the only thread I've found that has working links to necessary files. I admit to being a noob & I don't completely understand all of the steps here or if I need them all.
I have the 1.51 bootloader part finished & unlocked but don't fully understand this part. Do I even need it? I think yes.

I'm not 100% sure. I thought that if you flashed JCase's misc partition that would let you directly flash the 1.47.2000 S-OFF root ROM but I'm not 100% sure that it wouldn't brick the phone, so this method is safe.

"create a zip file with a custom recovery image in it (named "recovery.img"), and an "android-info.txt" file with MainVer set to 2.42.0000 (see step #3 of this XDA post)"

I may be the only one doesn't get this but how exactly do I create this zip file & why isn't it already pre-packaged like everything else. No I'm not lazy. I've unzipped files and added or replaced parts and re-zipped them. For my own use I created a custom gapps package this way. I've followed the links here and read the whole post on Android Central where this idea was born. I could have missed something but I've been at this for a week.

Good news: I've already done this. See here: http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/556826-stuck-in-boot-up-screen.html#post4481107

The file is at the bottom of that post. (That whole thread I walked a user through the whole process, so worth a look in your case...)

One other part I don't get is this.

"using fastboot and the phone in RUU mode, flash this zip file ("fastboot flash zip zipfilename.zip") Again, see step #3 of the link above"

What is RUU mode? I've used fastboot already and think that they really mean boot the phone into fastboot because I've searched for RUU mode and all I find are posts that say put the phone in RUU mode & never how to do that. If fastboot is what is meant why not just say it.

Yes, it's the same thing as fastboot mode. It's the same steps that you take to flash an RUU from your computer, so perhaps that's why it was described as RUU mode. Sometimes when you type these things out from memory you get some specifics just slightly off...

I understand that some of the steps are to recover a phone with bad memory blocks & I don't think that I need them.

Right! Skip those steps (MTD_Inspect and Eris_MTDNuke.)

Something that I would like to have seen in this guide is a brief description of the purpose of each of the files used.

Well, I think that I sort of did this through this thread on androidforums.com, starting with this post #15: http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/556826-stuck-in-boot-up-screen.html#post4475687

If that doesn't help, or you need to know anything else, ask away!

Reactions: Paul.ryan

doogald

May 27, 2010

Oh, and just to answer this question: the easiest way is to create a folder with the custom recovery image (I suggest that you use Scary Alien's Trackball-optional recovery, which is called recovery-RA-eris-v1.6.2-trackball-optional.img) and rename whichever recovery image that you use to recovery.img. You then also need a text file called "android-info.txt" which has the following contents:

CIDNUM:11111111
modelid: PB0010000
cidnum: VZW__001
cidnum: UTSI_001
mainver: 2.42.0.0
hbootpreupdate:12

So, you'll have two files in that folder, called:

recovery.img
android-info.txt

Then, using whichever zip file utility that you prefer (Windows built-in zipper, 7zip, etc.), you would create a zip file called recovery.zip that contains those two files.

(Source for this: this post by Ammar-y.)

Paul.ryan

Apr 25, 2012
Oh, and just to answer this question: the easiest way is to create a folder with the custom recovery image (I suggest that you use Scary Alien's Trackball-optional recovery, which is called recovery-RA-eris-v1.6.2-trackball-optional.img) and rename whichever recovery image that you use to recovery.img. You then also need a text file called "android-info.txt" which has the following contents:

So, you'll have two files in that folder, called:

recovery.img
android-info.txt

Then, using whichever zip file utility that you prefer (Windows built-in zipper, 7zip, etc.), you would create a zip file called recovery.zip that contains those two files.

(Source for this: this post by Ammar-y.)

OK. I think I've got it. I read the thread with your "recovery zip" file in it before. I just missed that it was the prepackaged file I needed. For some reason I thought was the "tiny-eris-recovery-zip".
What I wanted to understand was how to create the "android-info.txt" file. By unzipping the one you posted I think I understand. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I used my file browser in a folder to create a new file then opened that file with Root Browser text editor. Then just copy and paste the appropriate text in it and then name it "android-info.text". There is probably a way to do the same thing on a computer but I haven't tried and I"m more at home using my Touchpad anyway.
I need a tutorial on writing posts that look as pretty as yours with all of the grey quote boxes & links. I'm sure if if I looked there is one. I haven't figured out how to select one of these icons from the list either. Google is my friend but sometimes he keeps me up to late at night.

Thank you for your input.

doogald

May 27, 2010
I used my file browser in a folder to create a new file then opened that file with Root Browser text editor. Then just copy and paste the appropriate text in it and then name it "android-info.text". There is probably a way to do the same thing on a computer but I haven't tried and I"m more at home using my Touchpad anyway.

Yes, that should do it. Or, again, you can just download the recovery.zip file I already prepared.

Reactions: Paul.ryan

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The release by HTC of an unlockable bootloader (v 1.51.0000) for the Droid Eris has created a potential opportunity for rescue of some soft-bricked Eris handsets.

Are you an owner of one of these units? There is a decent chance of recovery back to a working state!

(Props go to Android Forums user "scotty85" for figuring this out.)

This (v 1.51.0000) bootloader is rather quirky - it does not allow direct flashing of individual partitions using fastboot - but it does allow flashing of zip files containing recovery, boot, and system partitions via fastboot with the phone in "RUU mode" once the bootloader is unlocked with a procedure from HTC.

If your phone can be booted into its' bootloader (HBOOT, FASTBOOT, or RUU mode), but can not successfully boot all the way up - or it gets stuck in a bootloop during booting, and you only have a stock recovery on the phone, this might be the approach for you.

Rather than write up the whole method to begin with, I'll just ask for responses to see if anyone is interested. And then take it from there if I get some nibbles.

If you think you have a phone you want to try to rescue, speak up - and say a few words about whether the phone can get into different bootloader modes, which bootloader version you have on the phone, and so forth.

Note: at the moment, getting this to work requires getting the fastboot program running on your PC - it is not a phone-only method. The amount of effort at the command line is minimal, but you will need to be able to get your PC talking to your phone to do this.

bftb0
    I have a friend who is in this exact situation. Any help you can provide would be great.

Take your time, and read and understand this whole post before you begin.

[size=+2]Files Needed:[/size]

Collect all the files you will need, get them on to the root folder of your SD card, and verify their MD5 signatures (the copy that makes it to your SD card, not the copy on your computer) :

"rom.zip" - the 1.51.0000 bootloader install payload - here **
    MD5: daab6bcbe78c41938a95c4963c5c44e8

custom recovery - either Amon_RA's ("recovery-RA-eris-v1.6.2.img"), or scary alien's trackball-free derivatives here (e.g. the New 1.7.1 version)

"ErisMiscReset_v0.9.zip" here

"MTD_Inspect_v0.9.zip" here

"ErisMTDNuke_v0.9.zip" here (also, please see disclaimer here)

"Eris_RootROM_v2.19.605.1_PB00IMG.zip" from shipped-roms.com. Note that this (also) is renamed to PB00IMG.zip at the appropriate time. **

A custom (dev) ROM, or even a fully stock ROM such as the HTC Eris March 2011 OTA Stock ROM - v2.41.605.6

[size=+2]Installation Method:[/size]

Note:

A less thorough method than what is described here, but shorter, is reported here. Even though I built the "ErisMTDNuke_v0.9.zip" repair tool, I do not advocate using it unless it is confirmed to be absolutely necessary. Moreover, in almost every case, having the Eris S-OFF bootloader on a rooted phone is an advantage, and (also) having the "misc" partition "MainVer" value reset back to a low value after fooling with RUUs or PB00IMG.zip installs is a good idea to prevent future disasters. The short method does not document either of these two steps.

Note #2: In any of these procedures, it is important to do so with A FULLY CHARGED PHONE. Do not let the phone sit idle for long periods of time in HBOOT, FASTBOOT, or RUU modes - even with the Eris plugged in to a USB port, in those modes it will discharge very rapidly - about two hours or so. That little green light is your friend.

- get fastboot on a PC working and communicating with the phone in its' current state (with the phone in fastboot mode or RUU mode). Doubtful if I will reply to inquiries about Windows and driver installs - it's covered in gory detail all over the place. Same goes with getting a copy of "fastboot.exe" for windows. (Google is your friend).

- Install the "rom.zip" file for the 1.51.0000 bootloader, (Rename to PB00IMG.zip and install it by booting the phone into HBOOT mode**)

- register with htcdev.com for unlocking this new Eris bootloader & follow the bootloader unlocking instructions (you can skip downloading & running the RUU, as you have installed the bootloader already)

- create a zip file with a custom recovery image in it (named "recovery.img"), and an "android-info.txt" file with MainVer set to 2.42.0000 (see step #3 of this XDA post).

- using fastboot and the phone in RUU mode, flash this zip file ("fastboot flash zip zipfilename.zip") Again, see step #3 of the link above.

- power off the phone and boot into the custom recovery and flash the ErisMiscReset_v0.9.zip file (watch for any errors - stop if you see errors!).

- in the same recovery session flash the MTD_Inspect_v0.9.zip file and determine if you have massive (bad block) corruption in any of /boot, /system, or /data. (See instructions here)

- If the above mentioned partitions only have one or two bad blocks, skip the next step.

- Flash (in recovery) ErisMTDNuke_v0.9.zip

- Re-lock the 1.51.0000 bootloader (phone in fastboot mode) with "fastboot oem lock"

- Flash the Eris Root ROM (from shipped-roms.com), using the HBOOT+PB00IMG.zip install method. The objective of this step is primarily to get rid of the 1.51.0000 bootloader, and install the 1.49.2000 S-OFF bootloader. Note this will stomp on your custom recovery (unless you use the battery pull trick), but that's OK.**

- get the custom recovery back onto the phone - using either the standard Eris rooting tools (Dummies or One-Click), or simply flash it using fastboot (e.g. "fastboot flash recovery recovery-RA-eris-v1.6.2.img")

- one last time: in the custom recovery, flash the ErisMiscReset_v0.9.zip file

- Install a ROM and be happy.

** after using any PB00IMG.zip file, it is a really good idea to rename it ASAP, so that you don't accidentally re-install it by inadvertently powering up the phone in HBOOT mode.

bftb0
    Well these "steps" got me no where . First step was put the hboot on my sd card and boot into hboot . still have Hboot 1.49.0000 (PB0010000) S-ON :(((( That don't work . I got a box full of eris all 1.49.0000 s-on that show some kind of semi recovery on them where i can flash an update.zip and clear to factory .etc.. Still all stuck on three green androids.. Not very good with adb on pc but tried it in fastbootusb mode on phone and gave the command fastboot flash zip zipfilename.zip (my zip) and said remote not allowed . I have 15 tabs up on firefox and is just too much back and forth . is there a Dummy guide:)

You will always get "remote not allowed" with a S-ON bootloader, or with the 1.51.000 bootloader in the locked state. And you will probably also get that error even with a 1.51.0000 bootloader in an unlocked state if you try putting a "boot.img" or "recovery.img" file in the zip. Don't bother using fastboot with a 1.4x.00 S-ON bootloader - it doesn't ever work for anything useful.

Note also that the steps given above need to be performed in sequence and each step needs to succeed. There is no point in doing a 2nd or 3rd step if the first step fails.

As for the PB00IMG.zip install of the 1.51.0000 bootloader, when you boot the phone into HBOOT mode, you should see SOMETHING different happen - even if it is a failure of some sort - than how HBOOT behaves when there is no PB00IMG.zip file on the SD card. If the phone behaves identically whether or not you have the SD card in place, then that means you mis-spelled the name of the PB00IMG.zip file, or didn't put it in the top-level folder of the SD card. Even in the case where it is there on the card, but corrupted, you will see a different behavior of the HBOOT from when there is no PB00IMG.zip file present.

Unfortunately, your post above gives no details about this. That means that anybody that is willing to try and help you is forced to guess about what you are seeing your phone do.

bftb0
    zmanzbo,

What were the contents of the "recovery.zip" file you were trying to flash? (specifically, were there any .img files contained in it?)

Even when the 1.51.0000 bootloader is in the unlocked state, the flash will be disallowed if you have certain .img files in there (radio.img or recovery.img iirc - but don't quote me on that, I would need to go and re-read scotty's notes over in the AF thread).

Apologies for the vagueness - I'm afk at this time and am typing this from my phone.

bftb0

Yes, that should do it. Or, again, you can just download the recovery.zip file I already prepared.