[GUIDE][FIX] Nvidia PRISM/smartdimmer - fix screen washout after watching videos

Search This thread

rockvoid

Feb 3, 2011
Interesting... While I can select "Set on boot", the SmartDimmer option always reverts to "On" after a reboot. When I asked the author about it, he confirmed that it doesn't work under certain conditions (it's actually a post in this thread).

Again, I'm on a Nexus 7 using the stock ROM with stock kernel (but rooted) running the latest version of Trickster Mod and I just rebooted and the SmartDimmer option reverted back to "On".

Can anyone else running a completely stock Nexus 7 test this? Now I'm wondering! :)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

i´m on rooted stock rom and stock kernel too...
open trickster mod and clik on the menu-button (3 dots) on the right top side and select "set on boot".
smart dimmer should be set to "off" for better colors (default setting is "on")

Last edited:

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
i´m on rooted stock rom and stock kernel too...
open trickster mod and clik on the menu-button (3 dots) on the right top side and select "set on boot".
smart dimmer should be set to "off" for better colors (default setting is "on")

Yeah, that's what I've done. But, after rebooting, the "SmartDimmer" option always reverts to "On".

So you are saying that after you reboot, the SmartDimmer option stays set to "Off"?

Do you have any other tweaks installed such as init.d support or anything like that?

rockvoid

Feb 3, 2011
Yeah, that's what I've done. But, after rebooting, the "SmartDimmer" option always reverts to "On".

So you are saying that after you reboot, the SmartDimmer option stays set to "Off"?

Do you have any other tweaks installed such as init.d support or anything like that?

I didn´t install init.d support or other tweaks.....
I previoulsy had installed "script manager" for disabling smartdimmer on boot but i deleted it and use trickster mod now...
Maybe "script manager" didn´t uninstall completely??? (But if i don´t use trickster mod now it sets back to on..)

With trickster mod Smartdimmer stays"off" even if i reboot.

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
Well, I dunno then!

Maybe someone else with a stock N7 can tell us if the SmartDimmer sticks or not using Trickster Mod. I have a feeling that you actually do have init.d support (maybe left over from Script Manager?). Trickster does install the init.d scripts to reset this stuff at boot, so as far as I know, that is the only way it could work (if init.d is working).

Regardless, I just found a simple "flash this for init.d support" thread for the N7, so I'm going to do that - I'm sure the settings will stick after enabling init.d support.

Thanks!

rockvoid

Feb 3, 2011
Well, I dunno then!

Maybe someone else with a stock N7 can tell us if the SmartDimmer sticks or not using Trickster Mod. I have a feeling that you actually do have init.d support (maybe left over from Script Manager?). Trickster does install the init.d scripts to reset this stuff at boot, so as far as I know, that is the only way it could work (if init.d is working).

Regardless, I just found a simple "flash this for init.d support" thread for the N7, so I'm going to do that - I'm sure the settings will stick after enabling init.d support.

Thanks!

i don´t have /system/etc/init.d i only have /init.rc

i use stock android 4.1.1 JRO03S

Last edited:
Reactions: jtrosky

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
Well @rockvoid is 100% correct here! I was having other issues with my N7 (wouldn't shut down properly), so I decided just to wipe everything and start over. So, after rooting, I installed Trickster Mod, set the SmartDimmer to "Off" and set the "Set on boot" option - sure enough, after a reboot, the SmartDimmer setting *did* stick!

What's really strange is that before I wiped my device, I noticed that I had an /system/etc/init.d directory and the only file in it was a Trickster startup script (and I never even enabled init.d support). So I'm *guessing* that at one point, that is how the app started things at boot-time (via init.d), but a later version started things automatically using a different method (but didn't overwrite the existing method if it existed). Just a guess....

Anyway, I apologize for spreading incorrect information that Trickster Mod didn't "save" the settings properly with a stock N7 and I'd like to thank @rockvoid for helping me realize that Trickster Mod does, in fact, save these settings properly now!

Thanks again @rockvoid!

Reactions: rockvoid

rockvoid

Feb 3, 2011
Well @rockvoid is 100% correct here! I was having other issues with my N7 (wouldn't shut down properly), so I decided just to wipe everything and start over. So, after rooting, I installed Trickster Mod, set the SmartDimmer to "Off" and set the "Set on boot" option - sure enough, after a reboot, the SmartDimmer setting *did* stick!

What's really strange is that before I wiped my device, I noticed that I had an /system/etc/init.d directory and the only file in it was a Trickster startup script (and I never even enabled init.d support). So I'm *guessing* that at one point, that is how the app started things at boot-time (via init.d), but a later version started things automatically using a different method (but didn't overwrite the existing method if it existed). Just a guess....

Anyway, I apologize for spreading incorrect information that Trickster Mod didn't "save" the settings properly with a stock N7 and I'd like to thank @rockvoid for helping me realize that Trickster Mod does, in fact, save these settings properly now!

Thanks again @rockvoid!

:good: thanks for your explanation too - i already thought scriptmanager left some settings after uninstall :laugh:

KiNG OMaR

Sep 20, 2010
Chicago
For what it's worth, the Asus TF700 tablet had the same issue (only much worse). However, with the Jelly Bean upgrade for the TF700, Asus actually put an On/Off switch right in the settings so that it can easily be enabled/disabled from the Settings app.

My point is that hopefully Asus will do the same for the Nexus 7 in a future firmware update...

It's a Nexus device, lol (that means firmware is not Asus' job)

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
It's a Nexus device, lol (that means firmware is not Asus' job)

Good point!! :) Ok, so maybe an option *won't* be added to enable/disable the SmartDimmer in future versions of the firmware!

On a side note, Trickster Mod is no longer saving my SmartDimmer option again! Since the fresh install, all that I've done was update all of the "built-in" apps and installed 2 other apps (which I've since un-installed)... Still testing to see if I can determine what exactly "breaks" it (it's driving me crazy now)!

EDIT: @rockvoid - do you have stock or custom recovery installed? If custom, is it CWM or TWRP? I'm starting to wonder if it's TWRP (or any custom recovery that broke it) - I'm testing that theory now...

EDIT2: Yep, it's TWRP which "breaks" the ability for the settings to stick in Trickster Mod... Strange. Maybe, with the paid version of Trickster, you could use the "Set On Boot Delay" option to work-around this issue somehow - not sure. Oh well, I guess I'll just manually reset it each time for now! At least we determined *what* was breaking it and confirmed that it does work fine as long as you don't use a custom recovery (with TWRP at least - haven't tried it with CWM). Man, what a way to waste a few hours! :)

Thanks.

Last edited:

rockvoid

Feb 3, 2011
Good point!! :) Ok, so maybe an option *won't* be added to enable/disable the SmartDimmer in future versions of the firmware!

On a side note, Trickster Mod is no longer saving my SmartDimmer option again! Since the fresh install, all that I've done was update all of the "built-in" apps and installed 2 other apps (which I've since un-installed)... Still testing to see if I can determine what exactly "breaks" it (it's driving me crazy now)!

EDIT: @rockvoid - do you have stock or custom recovery installed? If custom, is it CWM or TWRP? I'm starting to wonder if it's TWRP (or any custom recovery that broke it) - I'm testing that theory now...

EDIT2: Yep, it's TWRP which "breaks" the ability for the settings to stick in Trickster Mod... Strange. Maybe, with the paid version of Trickster, you could use the "Set On Boot Delay" option to work-around this issue somehow - not sure. Oh well, I guess I'll just manually reset it each time for now! At least we determined *what* was breaking it and confirmed that it does work fine as long as you don't use a custom recovery (with TWRP at least - haven't tried it with CWM). Man, what a way to waste a few hours! :)

Thanks.

I use CWM ... strange that it doesn't work with TWRP...

Reactions: jtrosky

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
I use CWM ... strange that it doesn't work with TWRP...

Well, it was easy enough to test switching to CWM, so I just tried that and sure enough, Trickster Mod now saves the setting again! So, I'll just keep CWM installed, that way I don't have to worry about SmartDimmer anymore!

Thanks for all of the replies - you've been very helpful - I appreciate it! At least we got to the bottom of it!

Metallice

Jun 24, 2010
I used Root Browser to go to "/sys/devices/tegradc.0/smartdimmer/enable" changed the value from "1" to "0" (no actual apostrophes) then changed the permissions to the "enable" file from "rw-r--r--" to "r--r--r--" to prevent anything from writing to the file. It worked in the beginning. Trickster MOD couldn't alter it. Running the command even in su didn't alter it. But rebooting the device reverted it right back to "1". Is there some sort of backup that the native system overwrites the file with? If so can it be deleted or altered itself so that it automatically reverts to "0"? Does the system have higher permissions than su? How does the reversion happen?

Its not a file. Its a sysfs interface for changing kernel parameters. It loads the default values at each reboot as the kernel recreates this "file" at each reboot.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

farmerbb

Oct 9, 2011
Somewhere, Utah
I used Root Browser to go to "/sys/devices/tegradc.0/smartdimmer/enable" changed the value from "1" to "0" (no actual apostrophes) then changed the permissions to the "enable" file from "rw-r--r--" to "r--r--r--" to prevent anything from writing to the file. It worked in the beginning. Trickster MOD couldn't alter it. Running the command even in su didn't alter it. But rebooting the device reverted it right back to "1". Is there some sort of backup that the native system overwrites the file with? If so can it be deleted or altered itself so that it automatically reverts to "0"? Does the system have higher permissions than su? How does the reversion happen?

The /sys/ filesystem is a dynamically created filesystem and it's not physically located on the flash memory, which is why everything reverts itself after a reboot.

If you have a ROM that supports init.d then you should be able to add something like this to an init.d script:

Code:
# Disable NVIDIA Prism
echo 0 > /sys/devices/tegradc.0/smartdimmer/enable

That should automatically disable it on boot.

Metallice

Jun 24, 2010
If you have a ROM that supports init.d then you should be able to add something like this to an init.d script:

Code:
# Disable NVIDIA Prism
echo 0 > /sys/devices/tegradc.0/smartdimmer/enable

That should automatically disable it on boot.

I think you have to add a delay using "sleep 30" or something like that before or else it wont work.

Reactions: farmerbb

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
Is there any way to actually make the default value 0? No init.d or other modding.

Yeah, with the Trickster Mod app - that's actually what started all of this talk! :)

Only issue is that the Trickster Mod app doesn't seem to save the settings if you use TWRP, but it works perfectly if you are using CWM.

Metallice

Jun 24, 2010
You misunderstood. Trickster does exactly what the name implies. It repeatedly changes the value from 1 to 0 every time the system reverts it from 0 to 1. I don't want to fix a symptom. I want to fix the core issue.

Yes. Making the relevant change in the kernel source and then compiling it.

Wilks3y

Aug 3, 2012
Leek
This is an interesting theory and fix.
I've never noticed any of these changes, apart from Lock/Unlock you can notice the brightness change.

although I don't think this is the same as what you are describing.
But I didn't even know this happened :D

Tegra3 your so SLY!

Nospin

Nov 20, 2010
I just bought a n7 and I have a few questions about the "washed screen after watching video". First off is this hardware or software related? I red that this is a problem of the t3 chip. Also I dont notice anything after watching video's. Is this a problem that happens on lots of n7's? Or I might have it too without knowing. How can I check?

Sent from my E15i using xda app-developers app

Start the youtube app. Notice the colors and text, remember how it looks. Now start a video, watch it for a minute or two, now back out of the video to where you just were. Notice any differences.?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THE PROBLEM

To save battery while playing video Tegra intelligently decreases the backlight while increasing color brightness and contrast. Because it monitors on a frame by frame basis the changes are often unnoticable. You basically end up with the same displayed image using less backlight.

Unfortunately it seems to get stuck even after you leave the video and the changes are very noticeable as the changes were specific to the video frame you just left and not your homescreen.

This also may be the cause of some ghosting issues and for some it seems to eliminate any ghosting problems for them.

MANUAL FIX
    (will reset at each reboot)

In terminal -
    (You may need to type "su" and press enter before entering these commands)

To turn it off

echo "0" > /sys/devices/tegradc.0/smartdimmer/enable

To change how aggressive it is (untested)

echo "#" > /sys/devices/tegradc.0/smartdimmer/aggressiveness

Note: battery life while watching videos WILL decrease if you turn it off or decrease the aggresiveness

AUTOMATIC FIX

Trickster Mod
    - has the ability to disable PRISM and set it to disable on boot.

N7scripts.rar
    - A collection of scripts compiled by hamdir which, in conjunction with Script Manager (available in the market) will allow you to toggle smartdimmer/PRISM on and off at will.
    - You can also use script manager to toggle it at boot if you want.
    - Also includes a script to disable 3D scaling which may improve 3D gaming performance (untested)

Thanks to hamdir for his pack of scripts and for convincing me to make a new post for these fixes.
    I may use this for other sysfs tweaks... mine for now.
    NVidia Tegra PRISM Toggle

This should make it easier to enable/disable it : market link
    Thank you this fix made me to look at my nexus 7 too keep it and not to post it on craiglist. Thanx

---------- Post added at 06:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 AM ----------

Its just why can't this be included in the ROM's? Or maybe people don't know about this trick? I applied it and it made my screen 10 times sharper right away.

Because the dimmer prism thing is supposed to save battery :D
    And its easy to enable/disable
    I use trickster mod for this, love that app it does basically everything <3
    Thank you very much for this! While I don't own a Nexus 7, I *do* own an Asus TF700T and this problem also exists on it. On the TF700, this "mode" is active all of the time, no matter what you are doing and it is *very* noticeable and distracting, especially when watching videos (but it *is* noticeable everywhere else as well).

Disabling this "Feature" makes the problem go away. At the very least, you can enable/disable as needed now.

Thanks again!