Ditching SNote for LectureNotes...

Search This thread

HasC

Mar 2, 2006
Hope someone can answer some of my queries below, many thanks in advance:

When using text, is there a setting that enables text to be seen as text when exporting to pdf i.e. to make text in pdf documents searchable from a native pdf app?

What are standard pdf settings to obtain average quality results when exporting and to keep the pdf size to a minimum? I find the default level renders the pdf as below average when I exported a mind map as a png/jpeg into lecture notes. What settings are people using and how many pages/file size?

Is there a way to make the hover marker smaller? Love how you can scroll pages without touching the screen but find it annoying when writing. Can't the default hover dot be used that comes with the tablet after enabling it in settings and still have lecture notes functionality?

acadoid

Apr 29, 2012
www.acadoid.com
@HasC: Text is presently rendered into your notebook and not kept as text, hence it is not searchable (if you export your notebooks for instance to Evernote, they will run a recognition over your notes and make it searchable, though).

Assuming a notebook page size of 1280 times 1811 for A4 without margins, a PDF resolution of 155 dpi fits exactly the resolution (A4 width is 21 cm, which is 8.2677 in, and 1280 dots divided by 8.2677 inch gives 154.8 dots per inch).

At the moment, the hover size cannot be changed, but this is an interesting idea, I noted it down.

Reactions: arjag and HasC

Nefariouss

Jul 5, 2010
Houston
I know this is off topic but Acadoid you have to be one of the best android app developers. Thanks for your work and interaction with your customers.

junrider

Jan 10, 2012
@acadoid: Is there a feature to import whole pdf files into LN? I downloaded your pdf viewer, but when I tried to import it only allows me to do 1 page and then I have to resize the pdf page.

HasC

Mar 2, 2006
@acadoid: Is there a feature to import whole pdf files into LN? I downloaded your pdf viewer, but when I tried to import it only allows me to do 1 page and then I have to resize the pdf page.

Hi junrider, hope you don't mind me answering and pointing out that there is a comprehensive help file that acadoid has provided in the app, it also has a search function which is where I have taken the following answer from in reference to pdf's:

To annotate a PDF file, either :

1. convert it to PNG files, one PNG file per page, and combine the PNG files in a single ZIP file (the order in the ZIP file determines the order of import), open notebook overview, select ‘Import image set as new pages’ in the main menu, and select the ZIP file (requires a file manager app to be installed for ZIP file selection);

2. alternatively, install the PDFView helper app for PDF on-the-fly conversion to PNG and import PDF files directly, either 1. page by page in notebook content view by selecting ‘Import PDF’ in the main menu, 2. all pages at once in notebook overview by selecting ‘Import PDF as new pages’ in the main menu, or

3. create a new notebook on the notebooks board based on all pages of a PDF file by selecting ‘Import PDF as new notebook’ in the main menu (requires a file manager app to be installed for PDF file selection and PDFView for PDF rendering, cf. the app's settings for PDF rendering resolution and margins). In any case, it is advisable to use the app's multi-layer capabilities and import the to-be-annotated material into the first layer and put your annotations into the second layer, this allows for instance to erase your writing without interfering with the imported material.

Import notebook’ and ‘Import image set as new pages’ require a file manager app to be installed for ZIP file selection; ‘Import PDF’ and ‘Import PDF as new pages’ require a file manager app to be installed for PDF file selection and PDFView to be installed for PDF rendering; ‘Export to Evernote’ and ‘Export tagged pages to Evernote’ require the Evernote app to be installed.

I have used step 3 above and it works really well.

Last edited:

junrider

Jan 10, 2012
Hi junrider, hope you don't mind me answering and pointing out that there is a comprehensive help file that acadoid has provided in the app, it also has a search function which is where I have taken the following answer from in reference to pdf's:

1. convert it to PNG files, one PNG file per page, and combine the PNG files in a single ZIP file (the order in the ZIP file determines the order of import), open notebook overview, select ‘Import image set as new pages’ in the main menu, and select the ZIP file (requires a file manager app to be installed for ZIP file selection);

2. alternatively, install the PDFView helper app for PDF on-the-fly conversion to PNG and import PDF files directly, either 1. page by page in notebook content view by selecting ‘Import PDF’ in the main menu, 2. all pages at once in notebook overview by selecting ‘Import PDF as new pages’ in the main menu, or

3. create a new notebook on the notebooks board based on all pages of a PDF file by selecting ‘Import PDF as new notebook’ in the main menu (requires a file manager app to be installed for PDF file selection and PDFView for PDF rendering, cf. the app's settings for PDF rendering resolution and margins). In any case, it is advisable to use the app's multi-layer capabilities and import the to-be-annotated material into the first layer and put your annotations into the second layer, this allows for instance to erase your writing without interfering with the imported material.

Import notebook’ and ‘Import image set as new pages’ require a file manager app to be installed for ZIP file selection; ‘Import PDF’ and ‘Import PDF as new pages’ require a file manager app to be installed for PDF file selection and PDFView to be installed for PDF rendering; ‘Export to Evernote’ and ‘Export tagged pages to Evernote’ require the Evernote app to be installed.

I was missing the notebook overview instruction. Thank you.

Only thing with the layering has added lag to the program when using it on portrait mode but not lag in landscape... or is it just me 41 pages of pdf.

Last edited:

acadoid

Apr 29, 2012
www.acadoid.com
@HasC: Thanks for answering junrider's question.

I uploaded v1.16.11 into Google Play (I learned today about a bug in notebook overview which this update fixes) which allows to adjust the hover size in the app's settings.

@junrider: The CPU time for rendering scales in first order with the area of a notebook page shown. In case your notebook pages are of portrait shape and you set `Fit width´, more of a notebook page is shown in portrait than in landscape device orientation (approx. full page vs approx. half page, depending on the aspect ratios). When you zoom in, the rendering will get faster again.

@toenail_flicker: Many thanks for your kind comments which I much appreciate.

Last edited:

HasC

Mar 2, 2006
[/COLOR]@HasC: I uploaded v1.16.11 into Google Play (I learned today about a bug in notebook overview which this update fixes) which allows to adjust the hover size in the app's settings.

Wow, that was fast! I tried adjusting the setting and it is almost perfect, I set it to the lowest value which is the same size as the Samsung hover dot. The only issue is that there are two dots that appear because I have the hover dot on by default.

Thanks for making the change though, it's much better than the big circle you had earlier.

Just a couple more suggestions for future if you have time, can we have an arrow drawing tool just like the circle and rectangle one. Also a small icon for a note whereby you can place the note icon next to a sentence on a pdf and when clicked, it expands to show personal notes you made against the sentence. Last but not least, on the floating tool bar, can we have the arrows to move back and forth between pages?

Thanks again for all your help.

ratindahat

Nov 11, 2006
@acadoid. Recent updates were nice. Just have to find a way of fixing the jaggies and what not. Other than that, working great.

Did you pick up a note yet?

acadoid

Apr 29, 2012
www.acadoid.com
@ratindahat: Yes, my Note 10.1 finally arrived. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on the point of view), I do not see any jagged lines. I was wondering whether I just got a particularly well done hardware, or whether Samsung did something on the software side.

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 AM ----------

@HasC: Glad to hear that you like it.

To improve concerning the drawing tools is on my agenda. I plan to allow users to define their own drawing tools using JavaScript, similarly as to the custom paper pattern, but I have to ask you for some patience.

Should link to notes be within the PDF file? LectureNotes cannot directly handle PDF.

There are arrow icons which allow to move page-wise (disabled by default).

Ravlyk

Sep 12, 2012
ilmntl didft

This is great app.
But I have an issue, when I try to import PDF as new notebook it shows Choose File dialog with DropBox folder and I can't select any other location. Does anyone know why is that and how to fix it?
Thanks.

HasC

Mar 2, 2006
@ratindahat: Yes, my Note 10.1 finally arrived. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on the point of view), I do not see any jagged lines. I was wondering whether I just got a particularly well done hardware, or whether Samsung did something on the software side.

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 AM ----------

@HasC: Glad to hear that you like it.

To improve concerning the drawing tools is on my agenda. I plan to allow users to define their own drawing tools using JavaScript, similarly as to the custom paper pattern, but I have to ask you for some patience.

Should link to notes be within the PDF file? LectureNotes cannot directly handle PDF.

There are arrow icons which allow to move page-wise (disabled by default).

I'll wait patiently for the improved drawing tools!

The link to the notes will be fine if available on a layer as a tool. It just so that I can use it for further clarification if I am learning a new system or putting in my comments, its just to enable longer note taking where marking the pdf will not be suffcient.

I use quite few options at the top that use up most of the space and cannot see a slide option to pick others that do not immediately show up so thought that it might be good to add it on the floating tool bar. If a slide style selection can be incorporated where the user can slide and pick other menu options that are not visable on the main screen, that would also be good.

Thanks

smrsxn

Dec 30, 2011
@acadoid: I had a few queries

1) are notes taken with lecturenotes compatible with microsoft onenote?
Asking because my company already has office2010 installed, and hence onenote is more sharable format.

2) is there a way to export diagrams created in LN with no handwritten/handdrawn stuff (just shapes, arrows and textbox) to microsoft visio format?

I installed a trial version of LN, and am happy for the functionality it provides... if it can be used to share notes with others who don't have LN themselves for further edits, then this is the tool i was looking for.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

acadoid

Apr 29, 2012
www.acadoid.com
@Ravlyk: You need a file manager installed for PDF file selection (if you want to pick a PDF file on your device).

@HasC: Keywords can be links to external files and web addresses, you can click on them in the index and a viewer is started (see the app's help page for details); this is not exactly what you suggest but somewhat close. Too many icons are a problem, I plan to add a `icons toolbox´ in the future. In the meanwhile, scrolling can be done by volume keys (advance is adjustable) or dragging the scroll bars (enable `permanently display scroll bars´ for that).

@smrsxn: Your notes are stored in PNG files, which is a standard format for bitmaps. I am not sure whether OneNote can handle that. There is presently no `interpretation´ of your notes, neither handwriting nor drawing. To share notes to persons not using LectureNotes is probably best done as PDF file.

smrsxn

Dec 30, 2011
@smrsxn: Your notes are stored in PNG files, which is a standard format for bitmaps. I am not sure whether OneNote can handle that. There is presently no `interpretation´ of your notes, neither handwriting nor drawing. To share notes to persons not using LectureNotes is probably best done as PDF file.

Thanks for the quick response.

Being able to also edit my tablet notes from windows platform is my basic use-case.

I was really impressed with customizability of LN. Hopefully LN will evolve from storing notes in a proprietry format to a more common editable format.

I will look elsewhere till then. Good Luck!

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well after 2 weeks of testing, I think I have to make the decision to use LectureNotes as my primary note taking application rather than SNote. It was tough becuase I would much prefer to use the native note taking app, but here are my reasons why in case it helps anyone else make their decision. To give a background and level set, I have been a tablet pc user for many years and have grown very dependant on OneNote for taking customer meeting notes. I always felt that using a tablet with a pen allowed me to still connect with my customers rather than typing notes. I went paperlass many years ago when I quickly realized that old notebooks could not be referenced on the road and scanning was just not something I wanted to spend my time doing.

On to my reasons.

1. I have found LetureNotes to be much more customizable than SNote.
    a. You can select which buttons are on the menu bar, each one individaully
    b. You can do away with the silly (imo) icons that respresent the notebooks and have a simple list which is much faster when you have a lot of notebooks and sub-notebooks
    c. You can literally pick each feature that you want to use or not - system bar, page numbers, zoom bars, pencil box
    d. You can set it to revert back to the pen after a single use of the eraser, zoom, or cutter

2. I have found it to be much more like OneNote in that you can do the following
    a. You can lasso tect with either a box or customer loop and move that text around on the screen - important when needing to re-organize you notes during a meeting so that they make sense later
    b. You can add a date/time stamp into your notes to remind you later
    c. You can erase with either the eraser or you can use the undo/redo buttons to move backwards and forwards thru your penstrokes.

3. There are more levels of organization. SNote only allows you to go 5 notebooks deep. I am note sure how far LN goes, but I think in my test notebook I had at least 10 notebooks deep which is more than I would ever need

4. You can add a page to a note with a single click

5. This is huge - you can set lecture notes to keep the screen on even after the tablet has locked itself. I am forced to use a PIN lock in order to access my work email. If I am in a meeting with a customer and had to unlock the screen if it locked up that would be onconvenient. It also allows it to stay on at my desk in case I have to pick up up quickly for an unexpected phone call.

6. Last thing I can think of for now is that I have swapped 3 emails with the developer for help and suggestions. I also tried this app about 6 months ago with my HTC Flyer and find it to be much better now. Probably a lot to do with the device, but I think it has also improved greatly.

I know a lot of people already like LN and many would say that the splitscreen of Snote outweighs all those things. I only hope that being able to use other apps in splitscreen mode will come in the future.

Just wanted to share incase that helps anyone else.
    @mrgerlo: I uploaded v1.16.10 into Google Play in which the S-pen button is functional. Note that you need to press and to release the stylus button when your stylus is close to the display surface but has not touched it yet, this will active the assigned function.
    I like for PDFs the AdobeReader App (free) and ezPDF ($)
    You dont have to convert it, it stays a PDF and saves your marks on it.

Hi Splotz,

I have tried both programs, I agree that AdobeReader is a simple solution for viewing PDF's if that is all you need to do. ezPDF isn't bad for doing markup, however if you have a tablet with a stylus (like the note 10.1) it's problematic as any markup you do is treated as a single element. So in order to delete things you either have to click outside of the markup, select a single part and press delete, or you need to press undo to go back step by step. This is rather irritating if you want to erase single words, or just sections of things you have recently written. I've tried repligo, ezPDF, iAnnotatePDF, SNote and lecturenotes, and without question this is the best solution I have found so far. If you combine it with dropbox/dropsync it's the ultimate solution for both notes and PDF markup. Importing PDF's into notebooks is also quite simple once you have everything setup, and the actual performance of the pen in lecturenotes is far superior to other programs I've tried - it feels like inking on real paper.

Another thing I've noted about many of the other apps (aside from SNote) is they don't allow you to set input to pen only. This alone would be good but lecturenote goes a step further by allow you to still use fingers (two finger scrolling for navigation) while only doing drawing input via the stylus. Once again the perfect implementation (in my opinion) of the stylus on a tablet.

Just my thoughts for the time being! I use this on a daily basis so I'll let you know as I discover more about it!

Take care,
    Sano

Just wanted to share this in case it helps others. I just posted a reply in the q&a about how easy you can snip something into LectureNotes. While doing that, I discovered something cool. When ever I needed to erase a word i would select the cutter tool, lasso around the word, hit the bottom right corner button (cut, I think), and then the "X". Not great, but better than selecting eraser and trying to scribble it over all my text. What I learned by luck is that if you select eraser and circle it around a word, it erases eveything in the circle you created will get erased. Maybe that is common knowledge, but it was new for me.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using XDA Premium HD app