[TUT]Move All Installed Apps To SD Card

Search This thread

anivesh93

Jun 25, 2012
Jaipur
www.anivesh93.tk
1)Download the latest version of Android SDK (which includes adb executable)

2)If you are installing Android SDK on Windows machine, you also need to install USB driver.

ubxOp

3)Connect the phone using USB cable and do not enable USB storage mode.
Go to Settings -> Applications -> Development and enable USB debugging.
Make sure you also check install from unknown sources option.

4)Start terminal window on your computer (on Windows: click Start, type “cmd” and press Enter).

5)In the terminal window, navigate to this folder : C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools by default.
Check C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools if you’re using a 32-bit version of Windows.

6)Run the adb devices command and you should see your connected Android device.Enter : adb devices

7)Enter : adb shell pm set-install-location 2
(If this command doesn’t work try using the “old” command: pm setInstallLocation 2)

8)If you want to revert this change later and install apps to the internal storage by default, run this command: adb shell pm set-install-location 0
( 0 represents your device’s internal storage, and is the default. 2 represents the external storage, whether it’s an SD card or USB storage. )

9)If the process is sucessfully completed,you will get a new prompt in the cmd window.Reboot and start moving the apps.

A Warning:Some apps shouldn’t be installed to your SD card and should remain installed on the internal storage. The external storage is unavailable when your Android device is mounted on your computer, so apps that remain running all the time should be left on your internal storage.

PRESS THANKS IF IT HELPED,CHEERS!

Video Link to the tutorial : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjfk9lqmdYo&feature=youtu.be

Attachments

• tut0.PNG
    tut0.PNG
    63.3 KB · Views: 4,081
  • tut1.PNG
    tut1.PNG
    23.7 KB · Views: 2,951
  • tut2.PNG
    tut2.PNG
    24.8 KB · Views: 2,821
Last edited:

goro17

Sep 30, 2012
Sorry noob Q. Does this install to the external SD? it seems it installs to the sdcard folder on the phone.

mihahn

May 26, 2012
Sorry noob Q. Does this install to the external SD? it seems it installs to the sdcard folder on the phone.

There is no internal sd card folder, if you see the folder in a file manager it ever means the "external sd card" cause we have no internal (like on the galaxy nexus or sgs3) ;)

Sent from my SK17i running Jelly Bean via CM10

Reactions: goro17

anivesh93

Jun 25, 2012
Jaipur
www.anivesh93.tk
There is no internal sd card folder, if you see the folder in a file manager it ever means the "external sd card" cause we have no internal (like on the galaxy nexus or sgs3) ;)

I meant internal storage....which every phone has(atleast in sony phones.....IDK abt others).....this is where the apps are installed by default

Reactions: goro17

goro17

Sep 30, 2012
I meant internal storage....which every phone has(atleast in sony phones.....IDK abt others).....this is where the apps are installed by default

Couple more Qs:

1) Just to be clear... the method mentioned above " install app to SD card" means installing to the USB storage in SG S2 right? (I just noticed that this the SONY area...I thought the problem would be universal for all android?)

2) Except for the system apps, can't you just move the apps that you get from the market to the USB storage (SD card folder) by going to setup>applications.....move to SD card ?? I thought going through the setup moved the app files to the USB storage anyway. Then why go through the ADB? Is it just for the convenience of not have to move the apps individually one by one?

3) So, there's no way to install the apps directly to an external SD (miro SD)?

anivesh93

Jun 25, 2012
Jaipur
www.anivesh93.tk
Couple more Qs:

1) Just to be clear... the method mentioned above " install app to SD card" means installing to the USB storage in SG S2 right? (I just noticed that this the SONY area...I thought the problem would be universal for all android?)

2) Except for the system apps, can't you just move the apps that you get from the market to the USB storage (SD card folder) by going to setup>applications.....move to SD card ?? I thought going through the setup moved the app files to the USB storage anyway. Then why go through the ADB? Is it just for the convenience of not have to move the apps individually one by one?

3) So, there's no way to install the apps directly to an external SD (miro SD)?

1)yes,this will move the apps to the external storage...
2)Some apps like the flash player and whatsapp can't be moved to the sd card even if they aren't system apps,this method will move them too..
3)if you enable this method...then apps will be installed to the sd card by default

goro17

Sep 30, 2012
1)yes,this will move the apps to the external storage...
2)Some apps like the flash player and whatsapp can't be moved to the sd card even if they aren't system apps,this method will move them too..
3)if you enable this method...then apps will be installed to the sd card by default

Tried it and seemed as if there was no prob....,but it still installs apps to internal memory...rebooted and retried several times. I installed apps from the playstore....

There were no errors and after downloading ADB from SDK i followed your instructions and typed the following:

adb devices
adb shell pm set-install-location 2 (initially tried setinstalLocation 2, but came up with error)

any idea why its not working?

My phone is SGS2 GT-i9100T

archz2

Jan 25, 2013
New Delhi
OnePlus 9RT
i did this trick, i cross checked the default install location to 2. it shows fine. but i want to ask that do all the files of an installed program get installed on the sd card? I mean is it complete and full installation of an application on the SD card or some program files will get to internal memory also and rest would be in the sd card?

I factory reset my spice mi-280 android 2.3 version phone and tried this trick, but as i am installing an application, my internal memory is getting filled up little by little as i install more apps.

anivesh93

Jun 25, 2012
Jaipur
www.anivesh93.tk
Some part of the app obviously remains in the internal memory.These are the important files need to start the app and run it without bugs.As you must have seen in the case of games,most of it is transferred to the SD card but some part remains in the internal storage.The tutorial enabled the remaining apps to move part of the installed app to the SD card so as to make space in the internal memory.

Hope it helped.

zodoz

Feb 13, 2013
NY
Samsung Galaxy A32 4G
@anivesh93

Thanks so much for posting this. I am just a regular kind of phone user, without much knowledge on Android, etc.
When I saw on my phone that I could not "get rid of" Facebook I was disappointed with my ST15i.
Don't get me wrong, the phone is far and away better than any other phones I have owned.

I am going to test out your method and see if it will allow me to control apps like I had hoped when I originally bought the phone.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
P.S. Maybe you could point me in the right direction on my own goals.
{I should note I am not a person who does not try to find out how to do something, but I don't even know the right search terms to begin to look....To crunch through 1000s of replies and guides would get too much}

Would you please take a look at my post and tell me if what I am wanting to do could be even done? I am not looking for a lengthy explanation, just to know that "yes,it can be done" or "no,it can't be done" {unless I am willing to figure out a lot of complicated stuff :) and most likley brick my phone (which I cannot risk doing }

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2146075

anivesh93

Jun 25, 2012
Jaipur
www.anivesh93.tk
@zodoz

Your Mission is quite a good one if it works.

Honestly,I am not sure whether this is possible or not,as I haven't come across this ever.You could try putting this question in front of senior developers,they will be of much help to you than me ;)

zodoz

Feb 13, 2013
NY
Samsung Galaxy A32 4G
Honestly,I am not sure whether this is possible or not,as I haven't come across this ever.

I was afraid you might say that :eek:

Honestly, it is so easy and inexpensive to switch SIM cards here, that to have 2 numbers to separate work & personal life, seemed a no-brainer.

A new number costs me less than $4.....and gives me access to a 3G network + GPS. No contract. Pay as you go....

I am beginning to take a look at where the overlaps/shares are occuring. It seems to me {in my limited knowledge} that the key here is the actual phone number & possibly, the IMEI #. How to route data by setting up the phone to switch from one set of storage/files/settings to another is not yet apparent...Will keep trying..

Thanks Anivesh

zodoz

Feb 13, 2013
NY
Samsung Galaxy A32 4G
alntiab Essen

@Anivesh

After some reading, it appears what I am trying to accomplish may not be as difficult as I first thought.

I am thinking of a Dual Boot scenario with 2 different Sim + SD combinations...

The OS would basically be 2 slightly different versions of Jelly Bean...

The difference may only end up being coding/setting where info & folders are stored on each SD card...

anivesh93

Jun 25, 2012
Jaipur
www.anivesh93.tk
@Anivesh

After some reading, it appears what I am trying to accomplish may not be as difficult as I first thought.

I am thinking of a Dual Boot scenario with 2 different Sim + SD combinations...

The OS would basically be 2 slightly different versions of Jelly Bean...

The difference may only end up being coding/setting where info & folders are stored on each SD card...

Yeah,the task is simple and will be a revolutionary one when completed.... :)
(Wish I had some knowledge on this :p)

L0GAN0

Apr 26, 2013
Trying on CM 10

I used this before I rooted my xperia ray and worked perfectly. Now I just rooted and flashed to CM 10, hope this continues to work( because I saw its actually made for ICS )

abu amar

Oct 16, 2013
Laptop doesnt detect device

Dear kind sir,

Im a total noob on this. So i apologize if my question offends you.

I've been trying this techic but i couldnt make it work. My laptop can seem to detect my device while in cmd prompt.

Im running a HTC HD2 with ICS 4.0.3, and my laptop is a Win 7 Pro 32 bit.
I've disable the root, enable the USB debugging, Enable ADB over network, and Allow mock location.
However, i failed to find the "Make sure you also check install from unknown sources option" on the Settings -> Applications MENU...

So how do you advice i go about this???

anivesh93

Jun 25, 2012
Jaipur
www.anivesh93.tk
Dear kind sir,

I've been trying this techic but i couldnt make it work. My laptop can seem to detect my device while in cmd prompt.

I've disable the root, enable the USB debugging, Enable ADB over network, and Allow mock location.
However, i failed to find the "Make sure you also check install from unknown sources option" on the Settings -> Applications MENU...

Try finding that option in the security menu in settings or you can google it.It is very easy to find(I am currently on JB and don't remember exactly where it appears in ICS).

Cheers.

Reactions: abu amar

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1)Download the latest version of Android SDK (which includes adb executable)

2)If you are installing Android SDK on Windows machine, you also need to install USB driver.

ubxOp

3)Connect the phone using USB cable and do not enable USB storage mode.
    Go to Settings -> Applications -> Development and enable USB debugging.
    Make sure you also check install from unknown sources option.

4)Start terminal window on your computer (on Windows: click Start, type “cmd” and press Enter).

5)In the terminal window, navigate to this folder : C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools by default.
    Check C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools if you’re using a 32-bit version of Windows.

6)Run the adb devices command and you should see your connected Android device.Enter : adb devices

7)Enter : adb shell pm set-install-location 2
    (If this command doesn’t work try using the “old” command: pm setInstallLocation 2)

8)If you want to revert this change later and install apps to the internal storage by default, run this command: adb shell pm set-install-location 0
    ( 0 represents your device’s internal storage, and is the default. 2 represents the external storage, whether it’s an SD card or USB storage. )

9)If the process is sucessfully completed,you will get a new prompt in the cmd window.Reboot and start moving the apps.

A Warning:Some apps shouldn’t be installed to your SD card and should remain installed on the internal storage. The external storage is unavailable when your Android device is mounted on your computer, so apps that remain running all the time should be left on your internal storage.

PRESS THANKS IF IT HELPED,CHEERS!

Video Link to the tutorial : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjfk9lqmdYo&feature=youtu.be

I used this before I rooted my xperia ray and worked perfectly. Now I just rooted and flashed to CM 10, hope this continues to work( because I saw its actually made for ICS )

If you watched my video,you would have noticed that I've performed the whole procedure on CM10...

It Works !
    Dear kind sir,

Try finding that option in the security menu in settings or you can google it.It is very easy to find(I am currently on JB and don't remember exactly where it appears in ICS).

Cheers.