The Best Way to Download Youtube Videos (GUARANTEED)
I have finally discovered the best method to download youtube videos in the highest quality in playable format on our G1's.
I will update this as frequently as I can to make sure it stays current/works properly.
Alright, so steps 1 and 2 only need to be done one time.
1st: Go to the market and download MyBookmarks.
2nd: Open it, click import your bookmarks (type in 0420420420 when asked for your phone #)
Simply import the bookmark! (one by one or all at once)
3rd: Just go to the youtube page of choice on your stock browser, and once on it go to your bookmarks. Find and click the new bookmark (usually at the very bottom) called "YouTube Downloader".
Thats it. It'll instantly start downloading.
If you would like to rename the file, get a file manager such as ASTRO from the market. For Astro open it up, find the file in /sdcard/downloads and long press it. Then choose edit and rename..
Don't forget to 5* Rerwares great apps! Show them some support
Also Steel functionality has been added.
1. Go to www.xblight.com/tube.html on your steel browser.
2. Since copy and paste doesnt work too well on steel, do this. Hold down shift (arrow facing up, bottom left of keyboard) and start moving the trackball around until the code it all highlighted. Then hold down the track ball and copy all.
3. Now simply add a new bookmark and paste that in the bottom portion.
4. Now just do it the same way as before. Go to a youtube video page and click on the bookmark.
The good thing about the steel method is that it lets you rename the file on the fly
If you are on the youtube application, watching a video, and suddenly decide you want to download it, do the following. Hit menu -> share. Long press the link and copy all. Then just paste it in the URL hit enter, and click on your bookmark =)
I've also added several things which you can see below in the changelog.
Don't try to do it any other way, the steel code does NOT work in the stock browser and vice versa.
E-mail me at TopDNBass@gmail.com with any suggestions or problems.
1.0 - Works and downloads the very highest available quality.
1.1 - Quick fix. Found out that our g1's don't like to play the HD videos so now it gets the highest quality that isn't HD.
1.2 - Now it will check to see if you are actually on a youtube video page. If not itll redirect you to the youtube homepage. (Code altered to work on steel)
1.3 [1-3-09] - It now gives you a message right before you redirect so you know whats going on =P. Also the name was changed to YouTube Downloader.
1. goto youtube.com/foo?goo=hoo&ioo=joo
2. goto someutubehack.com/getmedavid
3. script getmedavid looks at the referrer which is the url in 1
4. script getmedavid gets the vid and sends it back to you
5. you save it
6. profit! (sorry I read to much /.)
That works, but this way is the quickest way for android phones.
And yea, it just changes the url on the fly,
and if the video has HD available, it gets that version.
Meaning best quality every time =)
Go to the URL in my first post.
There are several methods to do the same thing.
Modification has always been one of the strong suits of Android, due in … more
01 Sep 2014
By Faiz Malkani
XDA Developers was founded by developers, for developers. It is now a valuable resource for people who want to make the most of their mobile devices, from customizing the look and feel to adding new functionality. Are you a developer?