RAZR i Root

Search This thread

mattlgroff

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 5, 2011
San Diego
Root Your RAZR i

Before you do anything, you must unlock the bootloader on your RAZR i. See my thread here for details: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=32576654
If you do NOT want to unlock your bootloader, use this x86 version of motofail2go by Dan Rosenberg: http://174.132.194.66/~batakang//ftp/RAZRi/RootUtility/motofail2go_razri.zip

What does this do?
Flash this .zip in Clockworkmod by turl1 to Root your device.

Download:
http://batakang.com/ftp/RAZRi/RootUtility/RAZRiRoot.zip

posting.png

Brought to you by Batakang and turl1 for his Clockworkmod Recovery. Cheers!​

Last edited:

ZeuBug

Aug 31, 2007
Nantes
Yeah! now I'm rooted, I'm ready to theme... Thanks for this simple root methode.
But, if I make mistake(s) while modify system apks, is there a solution to go back to original? I have to modify framework and a lot of system apks, it will not easy to do that only with root explorer... :eek:

Thanks and happy Razr i! ;)

mattlgroff

Dec 5, 2011
San Diego

mattlgroff

Dec 5, 2011
San Diego
I saw that but I didn't realize it could flash .zips... so I go to work a little bit and going back here just after! Happy to see you here! ;)

Sent from my XT890 using xda premium

We can't flash zips just yet, need a custom recovery. These are not flashable, but contain fastbootable files for the firmware's system and boot images. The systems are not signed so it won't work on locked device.

Reactions: ZeuBug

ZeuBug

Aug 31, 2007
Nantes
We can't flash zips just yet, need a custom recovery. These are not flashable, but contain fastbootable files for the firmware's system and boot images. The systems are not signed so it won't work on locked device.

But could we do it: adb push framework-res.apk /system/framework/framework-res.apk ?

mattlgroff

Dec 5, 2011
San Diego
But could we do it: adb push framework-res.apk /system/framework/framework-res.apk ?

Well if your framework-res.apk is broken the phone tends to not boot normally. If you did have working adb you would need to mount the system as re-writable. Whether this is with the root exploit and stopping the batch at the "adb remount" command or flashing the razr_i_boot_insecured.img to allow you to run "adb remount" doesn't make a difference.

Fastboot flashing system works even if adb doesn't (assuming you have good enough battery power or a factory-style adapter from Team Black Hat).

ZeuBug

Aug 31, 2007
Nantes
Well if your framework-res.apk is broken the phone tends to not boot normally. If you did have working adb you would need to mount the system as re-writable. Whether this is with the root exploit and stopping the batch at the "adb remount" command or flashing the razr_i_boot_insecured.img to allow you to run "adb remount" doesn't make a difference.

Fastboot flashing system works even if adb doesn't (assuming you have good enough battery power or a factory-style adapter from Team Black Hat).

Sorry to ask you more detail, but it will be first time I will modifiy system files without cwm... :eek:

1-I could edit your .bat to push my modded apks?
2-with razr_i_boot_insecured.img? which lines I have to keep or not to keep?
3-is-it safe? if I do mistakes, pushing the original apks could solve the problems?
4-what is chmod number for those apks?

Thanks a lot... :eek:

mattlgroff

Dec 5, 2011
San Diego
Sorry to ask you more detail, but it will be first time I will modifiy system files without cwm... :eek:

1-I could edit your .bat to push my modded apks?
2-with razr_i_boot_insecured.img? which lines I have to keep or not to keep?
3-is-it safe? if I do mistakes, pushing the original apks could solve the problems?
4-what is chmod number for those apks?

Thanks a lot... :eek:

You can find modified source here:
http://pastebin.com/gnNfBU1H

Just edit the batch in notepad and paste that in. Have framework-res.apk in the same folder. The best idea is to just always have the insecured boot.img on your phone, so you only have to type "adb remount"

HSD-Pilot

Jan 22, 2012
NRW
Google Pixel 6
Hey Mattlgroff,

after the SS3 Hype is over here, i finally got time to get new stuff into our RazR i Forum. First thing i saw was the new Root Method. I'm right, this can be done with an complete locked Bootloader? Sounds great for many users i guess.

mattlgroff

Dec 5, 2011
San Diego
Hey Mattlgroff,

after the SS3 Hype is over here, i finally got time to get new stuff into our RazR i Forum. First thing i saw was the new Root Method. I'm right, this can be done with an complete locked Bootloader? Sounds great for many users i guess.

Yup. Some Carrier branded phones cannot be unlocked and need it to root.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: HSD-Pilot

arnoldl

Nov 14, 2005
Ok , i like to think that i'm not stupid with these kind of things...
But i can't get the vol up + power thing right.

here's what i do.
- Factory reset (from phone menu...how do we enter recovery ??)
- skip account setup
- enable usb debugging and unknown sources
- start motofail2go
- it copies the files correct to my phone..adb is working.

Then i can't get the phone to vibrate with pressing vol up + power at the same time...

Should it be a short press , long press .. tried it all with 3 different persons..

When i give up and continue without the phone vibrating , it states exploid succes , but no sign of root.. (no superuser app , no su in system/bin , no su with su checker)

HELP.....

mattlgroff

Dec 5, 2011
San Diego
Ok , i like to think that i'm not stupid with these kind of things...
But i can't get the vol up + power thing right.

here's what i do.
- Factory reset (from phone menu...how do we enter recovery ??)
- skip account setup
- enable usb debugging and unknown sources
- start motofail2go
- it copies the files correct to my phone..adb is working.

Then i can't get the phone to vibrate with pressing vol up + power at the same time...

Should it be a short press , long press .. tried it all with 3 different persons..

When i give up and continue without the phone vibrating , it states exploid succes , but no sign of root.. (no superuser app , no su in system/bin , no su with su checker)

HELP.....
It took me many tries as well. Pressing power slightly before volume up seemed to help me.

arnoldl

Nov 14, 2005
It took me many tries as well. Pressing power slightly before volume up seemed to help me.

Really not working for me... tried about 500 times now.

should it be a long or a short double press ?
phone still connected with usb ?
press when phone is tuned on just in homescreen ?

sorry to ask..but it really bugs me that i cant get this to work....

greetings , arnold

mattlgroff

Dec 5, 2011
San Diego
Really not working for me... tried about 500 times now.

should it be a long or a short double press ?
phone still connected with usb ?
press when phone is tuned on just in homescreen ?

sorry to ask..but it really bugs me that i cant get this to work....

greetings , arnold

Its a lot if trial and error. I tried about 10 different ways and finally got it. The best way to root is to unlock the boot loader and use my tool. No timing problems :)

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Root Your RAZR i

Before you do anything, you must unlock the bootloader on your RAZR i. See my thread here for details: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=32576654
    If you do NOT want to unlock your bootloader, use this x86 version of motofail2go by Dan Rosenberg: http://174.132.194.66/~batakang//ftp/RAZRi/RootUtility/motofail2go_razri.zip

What does this do?
    Flash this .zip in Clockworkmod by turl1 to Root your device.

Download:
    http://batakang.com/ftp/RAZRi/RootUtility/RAZRiRoot.zip

posting.png

Brought to you by Batakang and turl1 for his Clockworkmod Recovery. Cheers!​
    If you want root you unlock the bootloader ;)

That being said, an ARM binary isn't going to run on the RAZR i without being redone from source and cross-compiled. This is unlikely to work anyway.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    AW: RAZR i Root

No way to downgrade without unlocking your Bootloader. Try it and you will brick, if you're currently running 39.

Sent from my XT910
    I saw that but I didn't realize it could flash .zips... so I go to work a little bit and going back here just after! Happy to see you here! ;)

Sent from my XT890 using xda premium

I know this is an old thread, but I recently got my hands on a Razr i and thought I might try messing around with Android using it. I got the bootloader unlocked, and now I'm trying to install a custom recovery. The problem is that the device isn't rooted, and after scouring this forum for a couple days the only valid root method I can find involves me flashing this zip from inside Clockworkmod, which as far as I can tell can only be installed on a rooted device. Is there any way to do this? I found a post where someone had come up with their own updated version of mattlgroff's installer that can root and install a recovery, but the link is outdated.
    If you guys see this, could you help me figure out how make this work?
    Choose one, I think they all are still working fine: MotoFail2go, RAZRiRoot, and TwerkMyMoto.