Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,223 Members 42,229 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Has Anyone Jumped from Sprint to Verizon for the SGIII?

Tip us?

Biker1
Old
(Last edited by Biker1; 18th October 2012 at 03:56 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1,249
I ported over from sprint to Verizon a couple of weeks ago, from the S3 to the S3.
I was a sprint customer for almost 14 years, and the issues experienced were tolerated.
But 2 months prior to porting to Verizon, the Majority of my phone call had significant Fading issues, and it sometimes took 3 phone calls to complete what normally takes 1 call. This was very frustrating for Friends Family, Business customers and myself. What also was a concern was what if I needed to make an Emergency phone call and couldn't get through due to the calling issues I was experiencing? And in NYC, Emergency Situations pop up quite Frequently regarding Crime and other fun unexpected occurrences,

Multiple calls to Sprint, multiple trips to the Sprint store, Many Hours wasted , and three S3s later, the issues still existed.
The sprint customer service run around was at its worst, and the lack of support from account services was abysmal.
I finally ported to Verizon, and so far the Service has been excellent. Imagine not being able to complete an issue less phone call for 2 months?
It is a relief to do so now.
I never thought I'd port to Verizon because of pricing. But after checking their pricing while undergoing the Unresolveable issues at sprint, I found Verizon pricing was not as bad as it used to be. I hadn't looked at their pricing structure for years.
Verizon is costing me approximately $14-16 more per month than sprint did.
I don't get Unlimited data, but many customers with Sprint get slow as molasses 3G right now anyway.
I believe that when and IF LTE becomes available to the Majority of Sprint's Customers, their Unlimited data will go Bye Bye, as most of the other advantages sprint had over the other carriers has done already.
I realized after porting that I had put up with the bs sprint had to offer regarding their non competitive data speeds, and why I ever had to be part of their Network build out while other carriers have already been there, done that, regarding LTE or its equivalent years ago.
I'm glad to be rid of Sprint, and it took Calling issues to finally port. Sprint showed their true colors in the deplorable way it treated a long term customer when said customer was not receiving services paid for regarding the Non Ability to make calls.

Think seriously about porting from sprint as I'm sure you work hard for your money, as I do, and expect to receive Services paid for.
I suggest not to hold your breath for Sprint's LTE build out, as their track record speaks for itself, and besides, why put up with non competitive data speeds when other Carriers have pretty fast speeds already, and have for a while.
Another plus is that with Verizon I Only pay $6.99/mo. for TEC (Total Equipment Coverage, Asurion)
with a $99 deductible for a lost, stolen or water damaged S3, compared to $11/mo. and a $200 deductible with Sprint.

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFG View Post
Right. It's $10 per GB on plan.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium
It's $15 per GB overage.
On plan, it's $10 for every 2 additional GeeBee's
I'm on the Everything plan with 2GB's for $100.
T-Mobile S5 (SM-G900T)
Sprint Verizon T-Mobile

NYS/NYC, USA:
Where LAW ABIDING CITIZENS & Their FAMILIES are UNARMED & DEFENSELESS Against ARMED & DANGEROUS CRIMINALS; NYS: 77,490 VIOLENT CRIMES in 2011!

53fireman
Old
Thanks Meter 15
I pulled the trigger today and made the switch (with a temp # and my sprint SERO plan still in tact, just in case...). The only thing I don't like so far is the Voicemail and how it dials in compared to Sprint that downloads them for you to listen to right on the phone. I'm assuming that's what Visual Voicemail is that they charge you for, but is there any other way to do that besides Google voice?

cell128
Old
Thanks Meter 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53fireman View Post
I pulled the trigger today and made the switch (with a temp # and my sprint SERO plan still in tact, just in case...). The only thing I don't like so far is the Voicemail and how it dials in compared to Sprint that downloads them for you to listen to right on the phone. I'm assuming that's what Visual Voicemail is that they charge you for, but is there any other way to do that besides Google voice?
I don't know why they give the visual voicemail free to iPhone owners but they charge for any other phone it makes me angry

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

Biker1
Old
Thanks Meter 1,249
In have used Youmail for almost a year, and it works really nicely.
I have the paid version.
T-Mobile S5 (SM-G900T)
Sprint Verizon T-Mobile

NYS/NYC, USA:
Where LAW ABIDING CITIZENS & Their FAMILIES are UNARMED & DEFENSELESS Against ARMED & DANGEROUS CRIMINALS; NYS: 77,490 VIOLENT CRIMES in 2011!

evolishesh
Old
Thanks Meter 136
I my self made the jump last November. The good thing is that I found someone with the unlimited data, and took over the contract with an upgrade eligible. I guess I was lucky! But, now I don't know what I'm going to do when the two years are up. I don't know whether to pay full price for a phone or let go of my unlimited data;witch will sick, just because I use over 12gb a month.

diljosh
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I jumped from Sprint to Verizon, a little expensive, but the joy of having reliable service is a worth it. The voice and data just work everywhere, and I travel a lot.

Biker1
Old
(Last edited by Biker1; 19th October 2012 at 03:27 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1,249
@ evolishesh

If you see a device you like at the end of your contract, wait a month, as the Full price of the device will drop, and purchase it new on ebay or similar. This way you'll keep your unlimited data, and avoid paying $10/2GB which would be approximately $60/mo + taxes & surcharges.
The new device will cost approx $450-500 off contract, compared to $200 with a contract, which would save you only about 250-300 but you'd lose your unlimited data.
The above is assuming:
- you don't have to purchase the new device without contract from Verizon directly and can purchase another device somewhere else and just activate it on Verizon.
- data pricing remains the same @ $10/2GB
(I forgot what the pricing is for over 10GB per month)
- there are no changes in the Plan structure available from Verizon.
T-Mobile S5 (SM-G900T)
Sprint Verizon T-Mobile

NYS/NYC, USA:
The Following User Says Thank You to Biker1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

evolishesh
Old
Thanks Meter 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker1 View Post
@ evolishesh

If you see a device you like at the end of your contract, wait a month, as the Full price of the device will drop, and purchase it new on ebay or similar. This way you'll keep your unlimited data, and avoid paying $10/2GB which would be approximately $60/mo + taxes & surcharges.
The new device will cost approx $450-500 off contract, compared to $200 with a contract, which would save you only about 250-300 but you'd lose your unlimited data.
The above is assuming:
- you don't have to purchase the new device without contract from Verizon directly and can purchase another device somewhere else and just activate it on Verizon.
- data pricing remains the same @ $10/2GB
(I forgot what the pricing is for over 10GB per month)
- there are no changes in the Plan structure available from Verizon.
Thanks. That makes sense, just paying over $600 for a phone is crazy and sickly

Biker1
Old
Thanks Meter 1,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolishesh View Post
Thanks. That makes sense, just paying over $600 for a phone is crazy and sickly

This is what I did previously, when I was with Sprint:
- the S2 (SE4GT) was available. But I didn't want to renew my contract. I purchased the device New on ebay for $420, and compared to $220 from sprint with a 2 year renewal. I used the S2 for 9 months, until the S3 was available on sprint.
I was going to purchase the S3 32GB on ebay, without contract but the S3 was going for approx. $650, compared to $275 from sprint with a contract renewal.
I didn't want to spend almost an additional $400 for the S3, so I renewed my sprint contract, after being out of contract for almost a year, figuring that things were ok with Sprint, and I would stay with them.
WRONG!
Service went South, and after 2 months, I ended up Selling my in Like New condition S3 on ebay for $385.
The S3 New on ebay could be had for about $450.
I should have waited, and then I would have purchased the S3 without contract, as I did with the S2.

I then purchased my S3 i535 32GB from BBM for $199.
Goes to show you that waiting just a month or so, can save you about $200 if you purchase the device off contract.
In my case, purchasing off contract was so not to sign a renewal, which would have the $350 ETF if I chose to port.
T-Mobile S5 (SM-G900T)
Sprint Verizon T-Mobile

NYS/NYC, USA: