5,595,645 Members 44,190 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Rom OP Format...DEVS READ PLEASE

Tip us?
 
Papa Smurf151
Old
(Last edited by Papa Smurf151; 16th October 2012 at 11:01 PM.)
#1  
Papa Smurf151's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6696
Posts: 5,659
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Atlanta

 
DONATE TO ME
Default Rom OP Format...DEVS READ PLEASE

Below is a format that should be used as an example of how a rom thread should look. It doesnt have to be exact. I suggest that you stay creative and use all the features in the advanced panel when creating a thread.


1. Name of rom, team, etc
2. Introduction
3. Changelog in code or php tags
4. What's included in the rom in the (apps, tweaks, scripts, addons, mods) in code of php tags
5. What works/what doesn't work in code or php tags
6. Credits (Users name-with link to (profile/github/or thread u got tweak from embedded), and what they did to help you)
7. Screenshots (2-10 different screenshots of different aspects of rom)
8. Kernel with either link to thread you got it from or github (if stock sense or cm please state that and that is enough)
9. Instructions on how to install the rom (also if special instruction for a2sd or beats audio...etc)
10. Do's and Don'ts of the rom
11. Questions & Answers section (I find this helpful to write out asked questions with solutions at the bottom of the op. I find that it cuts down on the question being asked a million times)
12. Finally the dl link
13. Additional add-ons (this can go into first post or reserved posts after)

I find the embedded link looks and feels better throughout the op if possible.
All sections should have a header with enlarged text and spaced out so people can read it easily.

I am hoping that this helps to make this section a little cleaner and easier. enjoy

The way I look at this is that it takes US weeks/days/hours to make these roms....we can take the time out to make sure that the op looks professional and clean

Also Make sure the op is fully ready before posting. I know we all get excited to release a rom but stating that half the stuff will be updated as time permits just shows that you are lazy and in a hurry which doesnt look good cause if thats the case then how does your rom run....

No posting a a rom thread without a DL link either
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Papa Smurf151 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
lreyes
Old
#2  
lreyes's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 487
Posts: 1,388
Join Date: Jun 2012
Thanks Papa Smurf151 i think everyone who is getting ready to post a rom should be redirected here!



sorry if im not allowed to post here, so please delete my comment if needed
 
Papa Smurf151
Old
#3  
Papa Smurf151's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6696
Posts: 5,659
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Atlanta

 
DONATE TO ME
i left this open for feedback
The Following User Says Thank You to Papa Smurf151 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
bennyboy78
Old
#4  
bennyboy78's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 362
Posts: 1,122
Join Date: Nov 2011
How about how stable it is like in the old days?

I remember last year everyone would label them as beta, RC, final etc.
 
Mazda
Old
#5  
Mazda's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 9462
Posts: 4,434
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Milton, Florida ✖✖✖✖✖✖✖✖✖✖

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyboy78 View Post
How about how stable it is like in the old days?

I remember last year everyone would label them as beta, RC, final etc.
I think what Papa Smurf outlined in the OP is more then enough and it covers the basics while keeping the majority of the threads uniformed or at least try to

I also don't think we should start being over critical here and require individuals that start threads in the development section to add labels like Alpha, Beta, MC, RC or whatever.

I understand that having labels would make things a whole lot easier for the user BUT it also doesn't encourage the user to read about what he or she flashes onto their phone.

I don't know how many times I've seen a user complain and harass developers over something that was clearly their (the user) fault because they didn't read the OP. They saw fancy screenshots and saw the download link and either ended up bricking their phone or causing their phone to turn into a hot pocket...lol

Not trying to tell people how to do their job BUT I think we should encourage users to read/search more not shortcut things for users.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazda For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
MBQ_
Old
#6  
MBQ_'s Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 22912
Posts: 14,122
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Tempe, Arizona

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda View Post
I think what Papa Smurf outlined in the OP is more then enough and it covers the basics while keeping the majority of the threads uniformed or at least try to

I also don't think we should start being over critical here and require individuals that start threads in the development section to add labels like Alpha, Beta, MC, RC or whatever.

I understand that having labels would make things a whole lot easier for the user BUT it also doesn't encourage the user to read about what he or she flashes onto their phone.

I don't know how many times I've seen a user complain and harass developers over something that was clearly their (the user) fault because they didn't read the OP. They saw fancy screenshots and saw the download link and either ended up bricking their phone or causing their phone to turn into a hot pocket...lol

Not trying to tell people how to do their job BUT I think we should encourage users to read/search more not shortcut things for users.
Well said, couldn't agree any more.
 
Cherokee4Life
Old
#7  
Cherokee4Life's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 30
Posts: 207
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicagoland, Illinois

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBQsniper View Post
Well said, couldn't agree any more.
See I assumed this was common sense and ROMs that are missing a lot of these details, I don't give the time of day too so those ROMs don't matter to me. Because in my mind all the good ROM's out there already follow this in some way shape or form.

I appreciate what you did but I don't see why we need it is all.
Phone: HTC EVO 4G LTE
CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightlies


Tablet:
ASUS Transformer Prime Infinity
CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightlies

2nd Tablet (kid):
Nabi 2
Stock Android
 
v5HMeca
Old
#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 139
Posts: 440
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles

 
DONATE TO ME
As long as these are only guidelines and not enforceable rules, I agree with them. But I wouldn't agree with deleting/locking threads that fail to follow these guidelines; that would send the wrong message to developers.
 
Papa Smurf151
Old
#9  
Papa Smurf151's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6696
Posts: 5,659
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Atlanta

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5HMeca View Post
As long as these are only guidelines and not enforceable rules, I agree with them. But I wouldn't agree with deleting/locking threads that fail to follow these guidelines; that would send the wrong message to developers.
Rom threads will never be locked or deleted for not following these guidelines. I would hope devs would embrace them and if a fellow dev isn't then I would hope someone would point them here and try to help them. Most rom devs want to have a nice looking op. But some of them are new and don't know better or are very young and don't know better. This just helps to give structure that they can refer to and say oh yeah maybe I should have that or this.




XDA Moderator
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Papa Smurf151 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
MBQ_
Old
#10  
MBQ_'s Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 22912
Posts: 14,122
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Tempe, Arizona

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee4Life View Post
See I assumed this was common sense and ROMs that are missing a lot of these details, I don't give the time of day too so those ROMs don't matter to me. Because in my mind all the good ROM's out there already follow this in some way shape or form.

I appreciate what you did but I don't see why we need it is all.
What?

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes