[A700] EasyRoot 2.0

Search This thread

Vorbeth

Mar 10, 2006
*** CAUTION ***
*** FOR A700 ONLY ***
*** FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK ***

I've been getting back into the swing of thing's and decided to upload these insecure boot images for you all
The boot ramdisk is based on the EMEA.GB Jelly Bean ROM but should work for all A700's

About EasyRoot:
  • Patched Based on latest RV10RC01.EMEA.GB
  • Fully insecure boot.img
  • Full ADB access to /system
  • Installs latest cwm
  • Installs su and busybox
  • Can also be used to FULLY remove root (Does not relock bootloader)

You need:
  • Acer Iconia Tab A700 with an unlocked bootloader & already be running Jelly Bean

How to use:
  • Download zip and extract it on your computer
  • Run the included easyroot.bat
  • Follow onscreen intructions

Download:

Thanks to:
  • Moscow Desire
  • pawitp
  • chainfire
  • plus all those who helped to crack open the A700

Last edited:

ExtremeRyno

Jul 19, 2012
Totally new, here...Been working on doing this for an hour and just got it installed..Now I'm at the SuperSu step. How exactly do I install SuperSu from CWM?

Okay..Install the exact same way you install the other zip. :) This tablet wrecks my nerves, and I can't stand messing with it. I've heard so many horror stories of bricks and I saved for a long time to have enough cash to buy this thing.

Thanks for your work, I've finally got my JB rooted and can play with my emulators and screenshot tools again.

Last edited:

bidniss

Dec 15, 2010
*** CAUTION ***
*** FOR A700 ONLY ***

I've been getting back into the swing of thing's and decided to upload these insecure boot images for you all
The boot ramdisk is based on the EMEA.GB Jelly Bean ROM but should work for all A700's

About the boot.img:
  • IconiaN - Built from Acer Jelly Bean kernel source
  • Fully insecured boot.img

You need:
  • Acer Iconia Tab A700 with unlocked bootloader & already be running Jelly Bean
  • ClockworkMod Recovery - 6.0.1.5 or newer

How to flash:
  • Download zip and place it on your virtual or external SD card
  • Boot your phone into ClockworkMod Recovery (via adb or with a key combo)
  • In main menu, select "install zip from sdcard"
  • Select "choose zip from sdcard" and browse to the location of zip
  • After flashing process is complete, reboot the device

Alternative install for Stock patched kernel ONLY:
  • Reboot to bootloader
  • Extract boot.img from the zip
  • Flash boot.img via fastboot

How to get root:

Download:

Thanks to:
  • Moscow Desire
  • pawitp
  • chainfire

(Kernel is unchanged from Acer other than a single "tag" line in defconfig, I will follow GPL and upload kernel source on request)

OK..don't want to sound dumb here. My bootloader is already unlocked. What steps do I need to do to get rooted? I'm not sure so I figured it was better to ask then to guess and mess things up! Thanks to all of you that do these things for us....:)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ExtremeRyno

Jul 19, 2012
I'm sure it is a coincidence, but as soon as I finished, my external SD card became unreadable/unmountable. Trying it in my PC and it says it needs to be formatted. All my data was lost. (Well...Maybe...I'm trying some recovery stuff before I give up and reformat).

Vorbeth

Mar 10, 2006
I'm sure it is a coincidence, but as soon as I finished, my external SD card became unreadable/unmountable. Trying it in my PC and it says it needs to be formatted. All my data was lost. (Well...Maybe...I'm trying some recovery stuff before I give up and reformat).

You can look in the install script, it never touches the external sd card.
I think a lot of these issues are still related to cwm, I'm looking at it a bit to see what's really happeneing.

ExtremeRyno

Jul 19, 2012
I was able to recover all my files, but still had to reformat the card. Not too big of a deal.

Vorbeth

Mar 10, 2006
Try the stock one. Source built may not have ntfs enabled.
Seems acer don't release the exact source they actually compile and release

Sent from my EndeavorU using xda app-developers app

benjieb

Sep 24, 2008
Paris
*** CAUTION ***
*** FOR A700 ONLY ***

About the boot.img:

You need:

Hi,

this seem very attravtive, thanks for putting this together. I have a few questions for you. Bearing in mind that I start from a 100% stock JB A700:

- Will any of the install steps wipe data / settings on my system ?
- Will it prevent futur OTAs ?
- Is there there a way to go back to stock if we do this ?

thanks for your help!

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Hi,

this seem very attravtive, thanks for putting this together. I have a few questions for you. Bearing in mind that I start from a 100% stock JB A700:

thanks for your help!

I think I can answer.
1. Shouldn't effect current install. It's a boot.img only and CWM if you don't have it.
2. Yes. Unlocked bootloaders and rooting will make future OTA's inoperable. You will get a message stating "unfortunately you can not receive OTA. Please contact Acer". or something like that.
3. There's always a way to go back to stock. Typically it involves installing a stock rom, which of course will clean all your user data and such.

MD

Reactions: benjieb and bidniss

Vorbeth

Mar 10, 2006
I think I can answer.
1. Shouldn't effect current install. It's a boot.img only and CWM if you don't have it.
2. Yes. Unlocked bootloaders and rooting will make future OTA's inoperable. You will get a message stating "unfortunately you can not receive OTA. Please contact Acer". or something like that.
3. There's always a way to go back to stock. Typically it involves installing a stock rom, which of course will clean all your user data and such.

MD

Spot on,
Why go back to stock? Any ota ill be repacking so it can be flashed via cwm

Reactions: Sterist and benjieb

bidniss

Dec 15, 2010
Concerning bootloader and CWM

*** CAUTION ***
*** FOR A700 ONLY ***

About the boot.img:

You need:

How to flash:
  • Download zip and place it on your virtual or external SD card
  • Boot your phone into ClockworkMod Recovery (via adb or with a key combo)
  • In main menu, select "install zip from sdcard"
  • Select "choose zip from sdcard" and browse to the location of zip
  • After flashing process is complete, reboot the device

Alternative install for Stock patched kernel ONLY:
  • Reboot to bootloader
  • Extract boot.img from the zip
  • Flash boot.img via fastboot

How to get root:

Download:

Thanks to:
  • Moscow Desire
  • pawitp
  • chainfire

(Kernel is unchanged from Acer other than a single "tag" line in defconfig, I will follow GPL and upload kernel source on request)

If my bootloader is already unlocked and I have a previous Recovery on the tablet, do I still need to install CWM BEFORE I boot to Recovery adn install the boot.zip file?

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
If my bootloader is already unlocked and I have a previous Recovery on the tablet, do I still need to install CWM BEFORE I boot to Recovery adn install the boot.zip file?

Depends on your version of the ""previous recovery"". Seems there are many in the past 3 months. Some of them. were "brick-makers".

Generally, you are safe to "install zip only".

MD

Reactions: Sterist and bidniss

bidniss

Dec 15, 2010
Thanks to all who worked on this!

Depends on your version of the ""previous recovery"". Seems there are many in the past 3 months. Some of them. were "brick-makers".

MD

Thanks MD!- I had ot flash the boot.img via adb becasue the .zip format wouldn''t work. Basically, to play it safe, I installed CWM and then went from there and got rooted. Thanks to all of you dev kind of folks who worked on this for people like me who know just enough to be dangerous! :)

benjieb

Sep 24, 2008
Paris
Spot on,

Thanks V & MD , i appreciate your skills + patient support!

I am desperate to root my A700, but wasn't keen on having to wipe data/apps + not being able to benefit from Acer's updates.

According to your posts, both are no real issue. So root here I come!

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Thanks V & MD , i appreciate your skills + patient support!

I am desperate to root my A700, but wasn't keen on having to wipe data/apps + not being able to benefit from Acer's updates.

According to your posts, both are no real issue. So root here I come!

Well, you shouldn't need to do wipes and such for this process. In fact, I would use CWM just to install things just to play it safe.

In my opinion, the JB build runs good as it is, although you may want to delete a couple of pesky apps running in the background.

If you're really worried, you can try using adb to push SU and the superuser apk after you fastboot the insecure boot.img. ADB should be working with it now.

MD

Vorbeth

Mar 10, 2006
Well, you shouldn't need to do wipes and such for this process. In fact, I would use CWM just to install things just to play it safe.

In my opinion, the JB build runs good as it is, although you may want to delete a couple of pesky apps running in the background.

If you're really worried, you can try using adb to push SU and the superuser apk after you fastboot the insecure boot.img. ADB should be working with it now.

MD

I have to agree, when I get time I'm going to build a cwm with all the wipe features removed :D

benjieb

Sep 24, 2008
Paris

MD

I have to agree, when I get time I'm going to build a cwm with all the wipe features removed :D

Guys, this is getting quite technical. How do these useful advices relate to the steps by step initial post. Or in simple terms what are the steps starting from Stock JB and aiming at a safe route to... root :p

thx

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *** CAUTION ***
    *** FOR A700 ONLY ***

About EasyRoot:
    • Fully insecure boot.img
    • Installs latest cwm
    • Installs su and busybox
    • Can also be used to FULLY remove root (Does not relock bootloader)

You need:
    • Acer Iconia Tab A700 with an unlocked bootloader & already be running Jelly Bean

How to use:
    • Download zip and extract it on your computer
    • Run the included easyroot.bat
    • Follow onscreen intructions

Download:

Thanks to:
    • Moscow Desire
    • pawitp
    • chainfire
    I'm new to this and wanted to download easyroot 2.0 and it is giving me a Not found 404 error. Can someone please upload it again.

Thanks

Here you go:
    http://www50.zippyshare.com/v/73471463/file.html

Edit April 2018:
    Link's broken. I don't have the file anymore so can't reshare. So sorry!
    Hi,

thanks for your help!

I think I can answer.

MD
    I think I can answer.

MD

Spot on,

MD