This hack is for the desktop Surface browser, not the metro Surface browser.
The downside with this hack is that, so far it appears that it only works for one website at a time.
Major disclaimer that you've heard a million times before - Tinkering with the registry has its risks - If you screw something up don't blame me.
How to do it:
2. Swipe up from bottom and Select: "All apps" on bottom right menu
3. Select: Command Prompt
4. type regedit at the cursor and press enter
5. User account control appears - Do you want program to make changes - Yes
6. Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer
7. Make Sure "Internet Explorer" is selected then go to "Edit" and Select "New" and "Key" from the menu that appears.
8. The New Yellow Key folder will appear on the file tree - name it: Flash
9. If you click View and Refresh, the new Key "Flash" should be just below "Feed Discovery" in the tree.
10. Make sure your new key "Flash" is selected (the only assigned value at this point will read: "Default")
11. Now go to Edit/New and select "String Value" Name the new value DebugDomain
10. Double Click the new string value. Edit box will open. In the field: "Value Data" put the domain of your website for example "www.myflashcrippledsite.com"
11. Click OK Close Regedit and your done.
12. In the Desktop Browser Make sure the setting ActiveX Filtering is unchecked. (Right side of browser where there are the Home, Favorites and Gear icons - select the little round Gear (tools icon) and then Safety and then uncheck ActiveX Filtering
Now try browsing your site -might have to restart the browser or refresh your page - its worked for me without a restart of the computer but you might need to restart the Surface itself (Right swipe, Settings, Power, Restart.)
If you have problems, make sure you use the right domain for your website for example www.microsoft.com not http//www.microsoft.com
Also remember this works in the Desktop version of the browser not the metro version accessed from the Start screen.
And like I said above, make sure you don't forget to uncheck "ActiveX Filtering" or Flash still won't work.
For now, to view another site, you need to change the DebugDomain value to the domain of your new site - pretty quick once the key has been made, and shouldn't require a restart of the computer. Tomorrow I'll see if there's a way to put multiple DebugDomain keys.
Sorry if this is unclear, I just figured this out then typed it at 2:30 in the morning. I've tested it on a couple of sites with success. But this is still very experimental, haven't done much testing as its too late - more tomorrow.
But I'm simultaneously thrilled and annoyed at this - because after seeing how well flash works on many crippled sites, it makes me really angry that this function isn't on by default and I have to jump through ridiculous hoops just to get flash to work.