Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,276 Members 38,712 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Windows Phone SDK 8.0 Download

Tip us?

pdaimatejam
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 1,751

DONATE TO ME
Arrow Windows Phone SDK 8.0 Download

The Windows Phone Software Development Kit (SDK) 8.0 provides you with the tools that you need to develop apps and games for Windows Phone 8 and Windows Phone 7.5.

Overview
The Windows Phone SDK 8.0 is a full-featured development environment to use for building apps and games for Windows Phone 8.0 and Windows Phone 7.5. The Windows Phone SDK provides a stand-alone Visual Studio Express 2012 edition for Windows Phone or works as an add-in to Visual Studio 2012 Professional, Premium or Ultimate editions. With the SDK, you can use your existing programming skills and code to build managed or native code apps. In addition, the SDK includes multiple emulators and additional tools for profiling and testing your Windows Phone app under real-world conditions.

System requirements
Supported operating systems: Windows 8, Windows 8 Pro

Windows 8 64-bit (x64) client versions
Hardware:
4 GB of free hard disk space
4 GB RAM
64-bit (x64) CPU
Windows Phone 8 Emulator:
Windows 8 Pro edition or greater
Requires a processor that supports Second Level Address Translation (SLAT)
If your computer meets the hardware and operating system requirements, but does meet the requirements for the Windows Phone 8 Emulator, the Windows Phone SDK 8.0 will install and run. However, the Windows Phone 8 Emulator will not function and you will not be able to deploy or test apps on the Windows Phone 8 Emulator.

Instructions
Choose the language version you want to install and click the Download button for the WPexpress_full.exe file. Follow the instructions to install the SDK. Note that each localized version of Windows Phone SDK 8.0 is designed to function with the corresponding localized operating system and localized version of Visual Studio 2012.
Note - Windows Phone SDK 8.0 installs side-by-side with previous versions of the Windows Phone SDK. You don't need to uninstall previous versions before beginning this installation.
Download the release notes which are in a separate file. For Windows Phone SDK 8.0 documentation and samples, see the Windows Phone Dev Center.
To start VS Express for Windows Phone, click the application in the Apps list. If you have Visual Studio Professional, Premium or Ultimate installed on the computer, the VS Express for Windows Phone shortcut won't appear. Instead, start your Visual Studio instance as usual and then create Windows Phone SDK 8.0 projects using the installed Windows Phone templates.
If you try to run a project in Windows Phone Emulator and Hyper-V is not enabled, you will be prompted to turn on Hyper-V. Turning on Hyper-V requires you to restart your computer.
Note: this release is also available in .iso format. Choose one of the following options for handling downloaded ISO images:
(Recommended) Write the image file to a blank DVD.
(Alternative) Mount the image file virtually as DVD devices.

Download WebSite: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=35471
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pdaimatejam For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Venekor
Old
Thanks Meter 82
So how do you learn how to use an SDK? I've always had an interest but there is never any obvious guide of how to program. I picked up UE3 SDK quickly but that is because there was like 30GB of tutorials on it, where can I do the same for this SDK?

Thanx.

mcosmin222
Old
Thanks Meter 207
You learn visual C#/B/C++. You do not directly use the SDK, you use the development tools in it

monotheist
Old
Thanks Meter 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venekor View Post
So how do you learn how to use an SDK? I've always had an interest but there is never any obvious guide of how to program. I picked up UE3 SDK quickly but that is because there was like 30GB of tutorials on it, where can I do the same for this SDK?

Thanx.
First learn Silverlight/C# and then read the SDK documentation,
To put it in simple words SDK just gives all the functions that u can use on Windows Phone.
Dialling made easy with this Windows Phone app
Easy dial
[Copy paste numbers, Edit before dial, T9 style phone book search from dialpad etc]

Transfer Photos and Music via Bluetooth from your windows Phone.
BlueManager

The best way to donate to me is by clicking the "Thanks" Button
The Following User Says Thank You to monotheist For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mcosmin222
Old
(Last edited by mcosmin222; 30th October 2012 at 10:57 PM.)
Thanks Meter 207
Typically, if you learn any C# API (other than windows forms) you will learn all the others. They are very similar to each other, only some few twinks here and there due to platform differences.

---------- Post added at 11:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 PM ----------

The SDk is bugged, emulator does not work. Says it wants virtualization and my PC doesn't have it, when it clearly does. Both Android and Windows Phone 7.5 emulators work fine.

Kinda failish...from Microsoft.

oh well...the SDK system requirements are pretty damned huge. My CPU does not support SLAT apparently...
The Following User Says Thank You to mcosmin222 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Venekor
Old
Thanks Meter 82
So I can just go to the Visual Studio website and follow the tutorials there? I have bad eye sight so I learn better from videos and listening instead of reading lots of text which takes me far longer to do. Luckily typing is easier as you know what you're typing on the keyboard so you don't have to pay as much attention on reading the text on screen.

StevieBallz
Old
Thanks Meter 119
Your processor needs SLAT support (extended Virtualization) also called VT-x by Intel. It is available from the Core i3/i5/i7 processors or newer AMD processors. This is due to the fact that the WP8 Emulator relies on Hyper-V instead of VirtualPC which was used for WP7. So if you have a Core 2 processor your hardware does lack required features. This is not a bug in the SDK.

On learning development of WP Apps there are series that take you around the SDK like this one: http://www.jeffblankenburg.com/2010/...ndows-phone-7/ It's still for WP7 but almost everything said there still applies for WP8, although in WP8 it was much extended. There are also Development Webcasts and Hands-On Labs you can try out. You can Google for those - there is lots of content on the topic.

But as was said before - it would be beneficial to know some C# beforehand.
Nokia Lumia 920 (RM-821) - 8.0.10211.204 Stock HTC Titan - 7.10.8773.98 Stock

meandu229
Old
(Last edited by meandu229; 31st October 2012 at 11:05 AM.) Reason: more info
Thanks Meter 5
I keep installing the SDK but visual studio express 2012 for windows phone doesnt appear in my start menu, says everything is installed fine, Any ideas?

Edit:btw using windows 8 x64 Evaluation Version
Now - Lumia 920
Was - HTC Titan - Dynamics 1.21 (cheers ultrashot/DFT)
First Ever App - http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=...e-beb047d73f1f

StevieBallz
Old
Thanks Meter 119
Do you have a regular version of Visual Studio 2012 installed? In that case the SDK integrates itself with the regular version and just adds the project type there.
Nokia Lumia 920 (RM-821) - 8.0.10211.204 Stock HTC Titan - 7.10.8773.98 Stock

meandu229
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieBallz View Post
Do you have a regular version of Visual Studio 2012 installed? In that case the SDK integrates itself with the regular version and just adds the project type there.
That will be the one,, Cheers for reply.
Now - Lumia 920
Was - HTC Titan - Dynamics 1.21 (cheers ultrashot/DFT)
First Ever App - http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=...e-beb047d73f1f