[APP] Android based RC car project - IOIO

OP Legomaniac

7th November 2012, 08:26 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 22

17 posts
Hello Everyone,

I am a Computer Science student at Montana State University, and have taken it upon myself this semester to develop a IOIO based R/C Car controllable by an Android to Android communication platform.

I have recently had a good deal of success with my prototype, and I have decided that it is mature enough that I can share it with this community. Please take a look at my Github repositories and my blog outlining the project details:

http://jimmyblaze.net/
https://github.com/Legomaniac

This is my first major Android project, and I have been learning as I go with this since there is no Android development class available at my University. I realize that some of my code may not be fully up to par with the Android standard, and I am looking forward to gaining input from more experienced developers. It has always been a goal of mine to either start my own open source project or a fork of another, and I believe this is the perfect opportunity to do so.

I think there is great potential in a collection of "shields" for the IOIO similar to the expansion shields that are popular with the Android platform. I have based my project on the concept of a "shield and app combo" that, when refined, could provide a "plug and play" experience in using the IOIO with hobby R/C equipment.

Any input you may have is greatly appreciated!
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Legomaniac For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th November 2012, 06:27 PM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member

17 posts

Sorry for the bump, but perhaps the Youtube video might entice some responses?

Last edited by conantroutman; 10th November 2012 at 02:22 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Legomaniac For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th November 2012, 08:44 PM   |  #3  
Recognized Developer
Flag Damascus
Thanks Meter: 3,359

1,977 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legomaniac

Sorry for the bump, but perhaps the Youtube video might entice some responses?

*Sigh* It appears the youtube bbcode tags don't work, here is a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=XPL0EDER498

In your video you said you still have to get Video streaming to work, well I've seen a video on youtube that shows a robot being controlled by an android phone, I'm sorry I wasn't able to find the video now, but if I find it I will send it to you.
Also I've looked a lot for an open source libraries to allow me video stream but failed to find. If you found any can you tell me please
By the way I'm on my graduation year studying Computer engineering
9th November 2012, 08:54 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

17 posts
Hey, thanks for the response!

Yes, I do still intend to get video working, The closest thing I have found to an Android video stream "library" is the following open source app hosted on Google code:

http://code.google.com/p/spydroid-ipcamera/

The thing that is sad about this project is that the developer disable the client portion of the program, citing issues with MediaPlayer and VideoView not being configurable enough. I was hoping to use VideoView to display the stream from the Droid on the car, but if someone who can build an IP camera app can't do it, than it doesn't look very hopeful for me.
9th November 2012, 09:00 PM   |  #5  
Recognized Developer
Flag Damascus
Thanks Meter: 3,359

1,977 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legomaniac

Hey, thanks for the response!

Yes, I do still intend to get video working, The closest thing I have found to an Android video stream "library" is the following open source app hosted on Google code:

http://code.google.com/p/spydroid-ipcamera/

The thing that is sad about this project is that the developer disable the client portion of the program, citing issues with MediaPlayer and VideoView not being configurable enough. I was hoping to use VideoView to display the stream from the Droid on the car, but if someone who can build an IP camera app can't do it, than it doesn't look very hopeful for me.

check your inbox
10th November 2012, 02:23 PM   |  #6  
Moderator Committee / XDA Portal Team - Title Under Construction. Please Pardon Our Dust
Thanks Meter: 7,191

14,120 posts
More
This is awesome!
Keep an eye on the Portal...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to conantroutman For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th November 2012, 09:12 AM   |  #7  
Flag Portland
Thanks Meter: 39

195 posts
More
Did you developed the virtual joysticks or used an existing library?

Regarding the video stream i think is kinda difficult. Are you planning to use an ip camera?.

Its nice that you are doing everything opensource. Cool project
Last edited by cuyo11; 24th November 2012 at 09:14 AM.
24th November 2012, 12:55 PM   |  #8  
Flag Nantes (44)
Thanks Meter: 2

122 posts
More
Wow really good project here !

I also own a R/C car ^^

Do you have really instant response from remote to the car ? No lag ?

Do you think it is possible for an Android phone to communicate directly with the R/C car's receiver ?

Thanks a lot for sharing, gonna keep an eye on it
24th November 2012, 02:05 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 111

625 posts
Donate to Me
More
this is epic, great achievement mate!
24th November 2012, 09:33 PM   |  #10  
Flag Rome
Thanks Meter: 419

1,194 posts
More