Search This thread

Tasssadar

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 31, 2010
Brno
tasssadar.github.com
UPDATE: released - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2011403

Hi,
I am recognized developer here on XDA, and my "main" creation is multi-boot solution for LG Optimus One, MultiROM: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1304656.
The thread is kinda chaotic, so let me explain: the main ROM is in internal memory of the phone, while the other ROM(s) are on the ext partition of the sd-card. ROM on sd-card are installed via modified recovery, you just select the ZIP file and it is installed to the sd-card. During boot, a simple boot manager appears, which allows you to choose which ROM to boot (see attachments).

I've recently got my very own Nexus 7, one of the only like 2k which arrived to Czech Republic so far, so the question is following:
Do you think that it is worth it to port MultiROM to Nexus 7?

There are of course some differences between N7 and Optimus One, mainly the lack of sd-card, I can imagine having multiple ROMs in internal memory and/or booting from USB flash drive, though.

Another thing is that there are other systems than Android available on N7, I believe(?). MultiROM would need some work to support those, because the boot manager runs after the kernel is loaded, so it cannot change it, unless some workaround is used, maybe reflashing the kernel after selection of the ROM and then silent reboot, or kexec (anybody has it running on N7?).

So, what do you think? :)

Attachments

• IMG_0178.jpg
    IMG_0178.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 1,664
Last edited:

davidstech11

Jun 17, 2011
CA
I would say “no". But then again, I doubt a lot of people would comment just to say no like me. I would think most who comment here would say yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sharpen3d

smirkis

Oct 8, 2010
San Diego, CA
i was just sitting back talking with sblood86 about this, if you create multirom support, cannibalopentouch can be properly ported to support multiboot.

i would find this very useful when ubuntu comes around to being more stable and usable. bouncing between ubuntu and jellybean would be awesome. especially for us 32gb users!

Sharpen3d

Apr 11, 2011
I gotta be honest, this seems like a great idea and could be very fun, but that seems to be the limit: fun. I personally don't feel there's enough development on the N7 to warrant the need to toggle between builds for more than a novelty sake.
That being said, I would like to see this come to fruition for the hope that it inspires more development on the N7. You got my vote, good luck!

smirkis

Oct 8, 2010
San Diego, CA
I gotta be honest, this seems like a great idea and could be very fun, but that seems to be the limit: fun. I personally don't feel there's enough development on the N7 to warrant the need to toggle between builds for more than a novelty sake.
That being said, I would like to see this come to fruition for the hope that it inspires more development on the N7. You got my vote, good luck!

it is fun, development and testing is fun. being able to flash new roms to try them out and not have to keep backing up/wiping/restoring would be great. having bone stock on one partition and super custom aokp or whatever on the other would also be great. a lot of custom add ons leads to new oem features n the long run.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

dinesh690

Retired Forum Moderator
Dec 9, 2011
UK
Sounds very interesting would love to see this on the nexus 7

Sent from my LT18i

Alejandrissimo

Jan 12, 2011
unlock-bootloader.com
Shut up and take my nexus

Haha yeah I love dual boot on my s3, it will be pretty awesome to have it on the n7.

Don't forget the OTG charging patch.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

brando56894

Dec 16, 2010
Jersey City
I'd give this a go, as another user stated it would be pretty nice to not have to backup, flash, restore to try out a new rom and then if you don't like it restore. This would probably only be useful for people that have 32 GB (like me, i have a ton of games installed and still have about 20 GB free :D ) and possibly those with 16 GBs. I remember I tried a multi-boot manager on my Incredible about a year ago and it didn't work that well, but then again that was about 2 years ago.

Multi-booting Android, ChromeOS and Ubuntu via this would be EPIC

erica_renee

Sep 16, 2010
Louisville
+1 more..

Would be awesome to have a rom that you could play with and not Bork your device every time . For rom Developers and moders this could be a invaluable tool..
Would love to have total stock experience and still be able to use the bleeding edge rom development features...

Please please .

Tasssadar

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 31, 2010
Brno
tasssadar.github.com
Okay, so the main reason seems to be dual-booting ubuntu. That looks cool to me, and should be possible from what I can tell. But there is one problem - it would require kexec, and it does not work for me. It just freezes the device.

I just enabled kexec in kernel (CONFIG_KEXEC=y) and tried some kexec binaries for other devices, and the one from debian, but result is the same, just freeze (or nothing happens on the screen, adb or anything for a long time). /proc/last_kmesg looks like this:
Code:
[  187.155128] CFG80211-ERROR) wl_cfg80211_disconnect : Reason 3
[  187.163564] cpu_up(2)+
[  187.165085] CPU2: Booted secondary processor
[  187.165742] cpu_up(2)-
[  187.170464] cfg80211: Calling CRDA for country: CN
[  187.173526] Switched to NOHz mode on CPU #2
[  187.173858] wl_android_wifi_off in
[  187.174192] Wake32 for irq=340
[  187.174332] Disabling wake32
[  187.174407] gpio bank wake found: wake32 for irq=67
[  187.174481] Disabling wake32
[  187.174670] wifi_set_power = 0
[  187.174807] Powering off wifi
[  187.475191] =========== WLAN placed in RESET ========
[  187.479449] max77663-rtc max77663-rtc.0: rtc_shutdown: clean alarm
[  187.479692] wl_android_priv_cmd: Ignore private cmd "BTCOEXMODE 2" - iface wlan0 is down
[  187.482678] dhd_prot_ioctl : bus is down. we have nothing to do
[  187.482765] dhd_aoe_hostip_clr failed code -1
[  187.482899] dhd_prot_ioctl : bus is down. we have nothing to do
[  187.482972] dhd_aoe_arp_clr failed code 1
[  187.509574] smb347_shutdown+
[  187.511945] smb347_shutdown-
[  187.512152] Starting new kernel
[  187.512239] Bye!

Problem is, I have no idea how to debug what is wrong. Anybody tried kexec on N7? Or am I just doing something wrong with the parametrs, I did this:

Code:
kexec -l ./zImage --initrd=./boot.img-ramdisk.cpio.gz --command-line="$(cat /proc/cmdline)"
kexec -e

Reactions: farmerbb

jcgtreize

Jul 18, 2012
Marseille
If we are already talking about a vote (one more), mine is definitely positive. I want to keep my Android Devices on genuine Google Rom:angel:, but I really want to try alternative Rom at the same time, or even install a linux distribution, so ...

crackcaffeine

Nov 7, 2012
Would it be possible to boot from USB?

It would be absolutely amazing to have the ability to boot USB if an image is detected. 8/16/32 is IMO pretty limited if the goal is to have multiple functional boots.

Ubuntu + Kaos Droid + Stock (as backup) would be amazing.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE: released - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2011403

Hi,
    I am recognized developer here on XDA, and my "main" creation is multi-boot solution for LG Optimus One, MultiROM: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1304656.
    The thread is kinda chaotic, so let me explain: the main ROM is in internal memory of the phone, while the other ROM(s) are on the ext partition of the sd-card. ROM on sd-card are installed via modified recovery, you just select the ZIP file and it is installed to the sd-card. During boot, a simple boot manager appears, which allows you to choose which ROM to boot (see attachments).

I've recently got my very own Nexus 7, one of the only like 2k which arrived to Czech Republic so far, so the question is following:
    Do you think that it is worth it to port MultiROM to Nexus 7?

There are of course some differences between N7 and Optimus One, mainly the lack of sd-card, I can imagine having multiple ROMs in internal memory and/or booting from USB flash drive, though.

Another thing is that there are other systems than Android available on N7, I believe(?). MultiROM would need some work to support those, because the boot manager runs after the kernel is loaded, so it cannot change it, unless some workaround is used, maybe reflashing the kernel after selection of the ROM and then silent reboot, or kexec (anybody has it running on N7?).

So, what do you think? :)
    Soo... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM4mn0_8qAI

It uses two boot images, one for ubuntu and one for android. Both of them are injected with special init binary, which handles the transition. No gui, just proof of concept - it works!

Currently, / of both android and ubuntu are in the same folder, which is, well, not ideal, I suppose I'll have to copy all android files into some special directory or something.
    I would be very interested in this, especially if you can dualboot between Ubuntu/ChromeOS and Android.

it is fun, development and testing is fun. being able to flash new roms to try them out and not have to keep backing up/wiping/restoring would be great. having bone stock on one partition and super custom aokp or whatever on the other would also be great. a lot of custom add ons leads to new oem features n the long run.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
    this sounds very interesting and since my nexus 7 3g should be arriving in a few hours im very interested. has there been any progress about a week now. id be willing to help test or grateful if you pm me an alpha version

Progress is certainly being made, the actual multi-boot part is already done. I am currently working on the modified recovery. I've decided that installation and managing of MultiROM will be done by the recovery only (as opposed to LGP500, where I've used android app), so it is quite a bit of work. Nevertheless, almost half of it is done. There is a little sneak peek to MultiROM UI attached :)

I probably will not do booting from USB flash drive in the first version however. I do not have USB drive fast enough* (when I tried, it literally took hour and half to just install Ubuntu), and it is pretty much _really_ dangerous hackfest to boot Ubuntu from USB drive without kexec. I would really want to make kexec work, but it is simply too low-level stuff for my knowledge.

And I am terribly tired right now. Well, good night :)

* Yes, I know flash drives are really cheap nowadays, but only if you get several hundred $ salary each month :/