Beware the N7100/N7105 UK Con

Search This thread

ice_coffee

Oct 27, 2005
I hit the high street today in search of an N7105 to go on three's network with the hope of being 4G ready, this is what I found

1) I went into a 3 store and got to play with a real "3" note 2, this was an N7100 despite "3's" customer service promising me that it was 4G ready for sure, it turns out they are currently only stocking the N7100 :( what is really bad is that 3 are pushing the fact that they are upgrading their network to DC-HSDPA (theoretical 42 Mbps real world 15 mbps) but regarding Samsungs the only DC-HSDPA phone available are the Galaxy S3 LTE and the Note 2 LTE, so the regular note 2 will not be able to make the best of "3s" newly enhanced network.

2) I went into phones 4U as independent phone shops buy their own phones and so in theory will be able to sell you an N7105 on any network you want. This was even worse! where as T-mobile/Orange customers are getting the N7105 direct from their provider if they either start up new contracts or upgrade, if you sign up to a new contract or upgrade via phones 4U they are dishing out the N7100, they don't have any N7105's in stock and when they get them they will be exclusively dishing them out to people signing up to new contracts on EE.

If I was with T-Mobile/Orange and got an N7100 through phones 4U when I was meant to get an N7105 I would be very unimpressed.

koahhe

Jun 15, 2011
this is no news at all. the LTE phones available in UK now are designed to work with EE network 4G frequencies. your taking a big gamble buying one and hoping it will work with a specific network next year. and as s general advice dont believe what the sales representative will tell you. do your research before going into the shop.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

EmptyArea

Dec 17, 2010
this is no news at all. the LTE phones available in UK now are designed to work with EE network 4G frequencies. your taking a big gamble buying one and hoping it will work with a specific network next year. and as s general advice dont believe what the sales representative will tell you. do your research before going into the shop.

Sorry to say but, you're wrong.
It's well known what frequencies will be used and the n7105 will work on all of them, plus as the op said it has dc-h+ which means you can get unlimited near 4g speeds with all you can eat data from Three for as little as £12.90 pcm.
It's £509 for the phone.
£12 to unlock
Clearly the best option for the money conscious data hog.

And OP you might not be able to get an n7105 from anyone other than EE for sometime, or they might appear tomorrow. It has about the same likelihood of the 32gb version turning up.
(Actually Samsung might have said the 32 isn't coming? I'm not sure on that one?)

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda app-developers app

djashjones

Sep 22, 2007
pointless for me to have LTE. Don't live anywhere near a 4G area, the prices are a complete ripoff & by the time it arrives my contract will be up then and i will getting the note 3 :D

Reactions: sos_sifou

Suicidal Chicken

Apr 12, 2012
Personally, I wouldn't bother with 4G in the UK. Where I live, which is a heavy population (Milton Keynes,) 4G is expected to hit in 2 years; which, by then i'll probably have the note 4 :p

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 through the Space Time Continuum

Chivalryyyy

Jun 24, 2009
Personally, I wouldn't bother with 4G in the UK. Where I live, which is a heavy population (Milton Keynes,) 4G is expected to hit in 2 years; which, by then i'll probably have the note 4 :p

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 through the Space Time Continuum

Its not so much the 4g I'm bothered about... its more the resale value of a 3g phone in 2 years when all the networks are running 4g as standard ...
That and possibly the ability to use threes hspda+42 add an alternative to 4g

Reactions: pedrobas

artnada

May 27, 2012
Gloucestershire
;33846144 said:
I hit the high street today in search of an N7105 to go on three's network with the hope of being 4G ready, this is what I found

1) I went into a 3 store and got to play with a real "3" note 2, this was an N7100 despite "3's" customer service promising me that it was 4G ready for sure, it turns out they are currently only stocking the N7100 what is really bad is that 3 are pushing the fact that they are upgrading their network to DC-HSDPA (theoretical 42 Mbps real world 15 mbps) but regarding Samsungs the only DC-HSDPA phone available are the Galaxy S3 LTE and the Note 2 LTE, so the regular note 2 will not be able to make the best of "3s" newly enhanced network.

2) I went into phones 4U as independent phone shops buy their own phones and so in theory will be able to sell you an N7105 on any network you want. This was even worse! where as T-mobile/Orange customers are getting the N7105 direct from their provider if they either start up new contracts or upgrade, if you sign up to a new contract or upgrade via phones 4U they are dishing out the N7100, they don't have any N7105's in stock and when they get them they will be exclusively dishing them out to people signing up to new contracts on EE.

If I was with T-Mobile/Orange and got an N7100 through phones 4U when I was meant to get an N7105 I would be very unimpressed.

OP, I have the GT-N7100 on Three and last weekend Three upgraded their network near me. My speeds went up from the usual 3Mbps/4Mbps to between 15Mbps/16Mbps which is "near" "real" 4G speeds without the extra OTT EE cost.

So, in fact the regular note 2 will be able to make the best of "3s" newly enhanced network.

I'm more than happy with that Free from Three. :D

Speedtest Pic 1
Speedtest Pic 2
Speedtest Pic 3

Last edited:

AjunNg

Sep 24, 2012
My area which is in Central London also provides speeds of up to 15mb/s.
And that's 7100. HSPA+ 21.

Just shows that 3 are very competitive, and they give free data.

ice_coffee

Oct 27, 2005
Interesting comments,

I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S2, I regularly get 8 ish Mbps on three's network and once got a real 15 Mbps in liverpool, So im hoping that they are being conservative on their DC-HSDPA speed advertisements, but even double what I get now would be excellent.

I don't think it is a gamble, as i'm confident that 3 will be sharing T-mobiles 4G network ( they already share their 3G network) see here for proof on that.

http://www.mbnl.co.uk/about.php

and this from the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19786041

the important bit being

The UK's fourth biggest network - Three - is set to take over part of EE's 4G spectrum, but is not due to do so until September 2013.

Further, because of the network sharing it seems likely that EE are also about to get DC-HSDPA, which means they are doing right by their customers handing out N7105's even to customers that are only on 3G tariffs (unless you get your phone from phones 4U, in which case you are being parmed off with an N7100)

Last edited:

EmptyArea

Dec 17, 2010
Reports say you can get the n7105 from ee for 459. Go get it and be happy. Unless you like custom roms and want them NOW.

j4d

Jul 2, 2010
I got an N1705 as an upgrade from T-Mobile. Unfortunately there's not going to be any 4G round my way for a while.

gwelmor

Nov 10, 2012
N7105 in the UK

You're all dreaming......There is no where in any of the Uk stores (t mobile, orange, EE, phones 4 U etc) where you can buy the N7105 for £499 or £450 or any of the prices quoted here.....period! You cannot get it on Pay as you go, and the only way to get it sim free through the retailers is to pay top whack at £999 at a Samsung store or go for a pay monthly contract with EE for a min. of 12 months. Online the best bet in the UK with all the taxes paid etc. is at prepaymania.co.uk at £563 or chance it on eBay and they're currently fetching about £510 but you'll need to buy an unlock code on top of this. So......as of today in the UK that's the best you'll get for the LTE Note II

JLneonhug

Sep 5, 2009
London
Sorry haven't read whole post so apologies if this is a repeat.
The tmobile people said it's exclusive to EE until next summer. So other providers will have to latch off EE if they want it. This will mean increased premiums or lower speeds. In terms of phones I'm with tmob and I got the 7105 and upgrade to 4G thingy was £5 extra pm (didn't go for it as I don't need the speeds).

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

EmptyArea

Dec 17, 2010
You're all dreaming......There is no where in any of the Uk stores (t mobile, orange, EE, phones 4 U etc) where you can buy the N7105 for £499 or £450 or any of the prices quoted here.....period! You cannot get it on Pay as you go, and the only way to get it sim free through the retailers is to pay top whack at £999 at a Samsung store or go for a pay monthly contract with EE for a min. of 12 months. Online the best bet in the UK with all the taxes paid etc. is at prepaymania.co.uk at £563 or chance it on eBay and they're currently fetching about £510 but you'll need to buy an unlock code on top of this. So......as of today in the UK that's the best you'll get for the LTE Note II

I bought mine from an Orange shop for 509 sometime ago. I read two reports they'll let yo walk away with it for 459. Both those prices include a mandatory £10 top up.
I read a report of it this device being unlocked by a third party for £12.
Im not dreaming.

E_Goldstein

Nov 23, 2011
How is this a "con" more like sounds people not doing research and listening to stupid network staff to me

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1) I went into a 3 store and got to play with a real "3" note 2, this was an N7100 despite "3's" customer service promising me that it was 4G ready for sure, it turns out they are currently only stocking the N7100 :( what is really bad is that 3 are pushing the fact that they are upgrading their network to DC-HSDPA (theoretical 42 Mbps real world 15 mbps) but regarding Samsungs the only DC-HSDPA phone available are the Galaxy S3 LTE and the Note 2 LTE, so the regular note 2 will not be able to make the best of "3s" newly enhanced network.

Sorry to say but, you're wrong.
    It's well known what frequencies will be used and the n7105 will work on all of them, plus as the op said it has dc-h+ which means you can get unlimited near 4g speeds with all you can eat data from Three for as little as £12.90 pcm.
    It's £509 for the phone.
    £12 to unlock
    Clearly the best option for the money conscious data hog.

And OP you might not be able to get an n7105 from anyone other than EE for sometime, or they might appear tomorrow. It has about the same likelihood of the 32gb version turning up.
    (Actually Samsung might have said the 32 isn't coming? I'm not sure on that one?)

Newbie to this forum or not, I have to say that you could have got your point across without using the last line.
    I believe EE are to blame for not being able to but the N7105 SIM free they must have a deal with Samsung or something. As I work for CPW and we can sell the N7100 on Pay as u go, Pay Monthly and SIM free. Though we can only sell the N7105 on Pay Monthly with EE!

Though we have stopped being able to sell the N7100 on 3 now, they have instructed us not to, I believe this is because they are only stocking the N7105 model themselves so it stops 3rd party companies misselling etc, though it's a shame we can't sell it SIM free....it's very frustrating!

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2
    Ok so last week I rang up 3 again to ask them when my Note 2 (N7100) will accept their Ultrafast Internet.... Bearing in mind I knew before that it needs to be the N7105, but plenty of their customer service representatives and a manager all stated my phone is 4G ready. After I while I was told yes it Ultrafast Internet available, I asked is that 4G or the DC-HSPDA? I got no where so I raised a complaint after being miss sold a phone, this didn't get me any further, just wasting an hour on the phone with 3s complaints department with an obnoxious customer service representative who hasn't a clue the difference between 3G, DC-HSPDA and 4G....was I surprised no! After an hour she refused to raise my complaint higher, this didn't go down well.

I then got hold of 3s executives customers services department who rang me back today, they are based in Scotland rather than India. The guy basically admitted that 3 had mislead me and offered me the S3 LTE version for 3 as an exchange as they don't sell the Note 2 LTE version. I declined as I don't really want to go backwards, but took the Sony Xperia Z instead as it's the only phone out there other than the Note 2 which is fairly decent.

So I suggest if there is anyone else on 3 and have been told that your model is 4G ready, get it noted on your account and then complain!

:thumbup:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2