I want to flash a ROM. For all intents and purposes, we'll say I want to flash FreeGS3. I went and downloaded FreeGS3 and the Kernel they recommend you use with it. My problem is, custom recovery simply DOES NOT WORK FOR ME. I don't know why, it just never has. I have done everything I could find on making CWM or other recoveries work. Nada. I currently have TWRP recovery which I installed through the app on Play Store, GooManager. Flashing .zip with recovery, I always get an error, usually status 7 report.
So I eventually gave up on that, and I want to flash FreeGS3 through either Heimdall or Mobile Odin Pro (I don't have a Windows comp). My problem is how do I repackage the .zip do be a flash-able .tar file? I've looked on other threads that said it was either impossible or too dangerous to be practical. Here's what I've done so far (before realizing that you can't just flash any .tar file)
1. unzipped both freegs3 and the kernel.
2. copied files over from the kernel, only the files that didn't already exist in freegs3
3. repackaged the modified freegs3-kernel mix as .tar file (named it rom.tar)
4. copied it onto my phone /sdcard/Movies/
5. tried (failed) to flash using Mobile Odin Pro
I also have stock firmware for my phone on both my phone and on my computer as a .tar.md5 file that IS flash-able, incase I need to do any fixing.
Soooo what do?
How do I repackage this stuff into a flashable .tar or .tar.md5? If I can't, any alternative ideas?