philmiami

May 13, 2011
Miami
Hello,
I have just gotten a MetroPCS Samsung Galaxy S3
I have gone and watched videos from wwjoshdew and followed these links
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1746680
But those are for Sprint/Verizon/AT&T/Tmo
So I was wondering does anyone know if the Sprint version will work on MetroPCS S3's or
does it need a 'new image' or what?
Since I can not ask this noob question I am asking it here.
If it could be forwarded to someone who is a developer and such I would appreciate it.
I just got the phone 10/20/12 and the "offical" release is 10/22/12 on www.metropcs.com but the corporate stores (like here in Miami) had it available on 10/19/12.
So, since it's new I understand that part of the question but if anyone does know, please let me know.:fingers-crossed:
philmiami

shimp208

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 25, 2011
Boston
Hello,
So I was wondering does anyone know if the Sprint version will work on MetroPCS S3's or
If it could be forwarded to someone who is a developer and such I would appreciate it.
I just got the phone 10/20/12 and the "offical" release is 10/22/12 on www.metropcs.com but the corporate stores (like here in Miami) had it available on 10/19/12.
So, since it's new I understand that part of the question but if anyone does know, please let me know.:fingers-crossed:
philmiami

You should be able to root your phone using the tool I have attached it is based on the DebugFSroot method :fingers-crossed:. Make sure to install the drivers for your phone first before attempting to use this tool, after you download it unzip the file to your desktop, plug your phone into your computer, then execute the bat file and follow the instructions (Note this is for Windows only).

Attachments

• DebugFSroot_generic.zip
    2 MB · Views: 15,209
Last edited:
Reactions: Speed72584

philmiami

May 13, 2011
Miami
Here is a screen shot of About on my phone

**This is the screen shot from the phone.*** <<- would not let me post a outside link since I just read on this forum and not post (since I am no developer, just 3 posts so far)

Have to cut/paste this link I guess
picasaweb.google.com/114859325136619356966/MetroPCSGalaxyS3

So again, I just ask do you think this tool would work on this.
I am hesitant because this is not like the other phones in which they have been Gingerbread or my wife's which is 4.0 but it is a LG Motion (MetroPCS) and the root was simple (just followed a youtube video) and the phone was $149.
This one, for me, was $500, so I don't want to get a $500 brick and then try to return/exchange it.
So I am cautious when it comes to doing this.
Thanks,
philmiami

MetroPCSGalaxyS3

You should be able to root your phone using the tool I have attached it is based on the DebugFSroot method :fingers-crossed:. Make sure to install the drivers for your phone first before attempting to use this tool, after you download it unzip the file to your desktop, plug your phone into your computer, then execute the bat file and follow the instructions (Note this is for Windows only).

Last edited:

dvdee

Sep 1, 2010

I just used this method on my metropcs S3 and it worked. Thanks, all I need now is a way to unlock the phone to use it with any SIM and I'm good to go.

Last edited:

shimp208

Jan 25, 2011
Boston
I just used this method on my metropcs S3 and it worked. Thanks, all I need now is a way to unlock the phone to use it with any SIM and I'm good to go.

To unlock the phone you will need a SIM unlock code you can find many different places to purchase a SIM unlock code, and I believe if your account is in good standing with Metro and your nice to them they might be able to unlock it for you. Also here is a link to Clockworkmod 6.0.1.5 for the MetroPCS Galaxy S3. Enjoy my friend :).

Reactions: Speed72584

philmiami

May 13, 2011
Miami
Already got root thanks

It did not take long for someone to have the root process (even for a mac) in one of the other forums
so I got my phone rooted
put titanium backup pro on there and froze the bloatware from MetroPCS
so it's doing good for me
and a lot better phone than the LG Esteem 4G I had (with MetroPCS)

To unlock the phone you will need a SIM unlock code you can find many different places to purchase a SIM unlock code, and I believe if your account is in good standing with Metro and your nice to them they might be able to unlock it for you. Also here is a link to Clockworkmod 6.0.1.5 for the MetroPCS Galaxy S3. Enjoy my friend :).

SDRebel

Dec 26, 2010
you will not be able to unlock this phone as far as the sim goes its for the 4g lte sim type cards not GSM

are you 100% sure of this? do you have proof?
They said the same of every LTE phone out there but most (if not all) of them support GSM at a varying degree, from my rezound that needed firmware updates to be fully functional to the iphone 5 that is fully capable and unlocked.

I mostly wanted to post this to know the truth and so other people looking out there don't get confused by this post that may or may not be true

haxmethod

Nov 25, 2011
Automatic root not working

every time i try this method it says that the daemon has started successfully
but then it says that there are system partitions not found, rooting failed

the drivers downloaded perfectly, but a message popped up on my phone that said they're
was no software on my pc that could detect my phone

shimp208

Jan 25, 2011
Boston
every time i try this method it says that the daemon has started successfully
but then it says that there are system partitions not found, rooting failed

the drivers downloaded perfectly, but a message popped up on my phone that said they're
was no software on my pc that could detect my phone

I would recommend uninstalling the drivers you installed then re-installing them. Also make sure USB debugging is checked in developer options.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

neimanwinters

Jan 17, 2013
ANTIOCH .ca
i need the drivers

i just wanted to know if the drivers are in the folder with the debugFsroot file and if so witch one is it. also i dont want to put a rom. but when the official update from metro comes out would it be affected by the root?

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 AM ----------

*i need the driversi just wanted to know if the drivers are in the folder with the debugFsroot file and if so witch one is it. also i dont want to put a rom. but when the official update from metro comes out would it be affected by the root?

barricademan

Jun 19, 2012
Tampa
I rooted my phone last night through Odin and didn't realize until today that I can't receive data unless connected to wifi.

Any suggestions about why and how to fix it?

Sent from my SCH-R530M using Tapatalk 2

shimp208

Jan 25, 2011
Boston
I rooted my phone last night through Odin and didn't realize until today that I can't receive data unless connected to wifi.

Any suggestions about why and how to fix it?

Is your IMEI number still intact? Because if it has been altered it will effect your ability to use mobile data. Also I would suggest re-flashing the stock ROM and seeing if that fixes your data connection issue.

barricademan

Jun 19, 2012
Tampa
Thanks for the reply. After going into Rom Manager Pro and selecting reboot my data is now working. Not sure why, I rebooted from the power button many times before and nothing happened. All is well again though.

garwynn

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 30, 2011
NE Ohio
www.extra-life.org
Any MetroPCS GS3 owners...

Can you please try Triangle Away 2.70 and see if it works?

We're also trying to get you officially added to Mobile Odin.
*Edited*
You should just need to download Mobile Odin Free, follow the prompts to make a dump, upload and link the dump.

Thanks!

Last edited:

The Round Peg

Jun 16, 2010
The current DebugFSroot method no longer works with the official Jellybean 4.1.2 update. Samsung has just started pushing the update onto MetroPCS phones. The update erased root access, and now I can't find anything to re-root my phone other than flashing a modded/rooted ROM via Odin, which I am NOT going to do. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to root MetroPCS Samsung Galaxy S3 4.1.2 Jellybean?

shimp208

Jan 25, 2011
Boston
The current DebugFSroot method no longer works with the official Jellybean 4.1.2 update. Samsung has just started pushing the update onto MetroPCS phones. The update erased root access, and now I can't find anything to re-root my phone other than flashing a modded/rooted ROM via Odin, which I am NOT going to do. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to root MetroPCS Samsung Galaxy S3 4.1.2 Jellybean?

I would recommend trying mskip's Samsung Galaxy S3 Unified Toolkit it supports the MetroPCS version of the Galaxy S3 and can root Jelly Bean builds as well.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,
    philmiami

Thanks.

Does the Android version matter for CF-Auto-Root? autoroot.chainfire.eu does not specify an Android version for any of its files, so I suppose the version not should matter. Mine is 4.1.2 Jellybean.

I believe that the Android version does not matter for the CF-Auto-Root because of the way the procedure works it's not dependent on an exploit other vulnerability in a particular version of Android.
    Okay, so I'm going to apply CF-Auto-Root to MetroPCS SCH-R530M with the file for US Cellular SCH-R530U.

The MetroPCS SCH-R530M has just been updated to 4 1.2 Jellybean, and the old exploit rooting method no longer works. Currently the only way to root SCH-R530M 4 1.2 is to flash a stock modded with root + CWM, but that would prevent future OTA updates. That is why I've been looking for an alternative method to root without flashing in CWM.

I don't think anyone else has tried to auto root SCH-R530M with the file for SCH-R530U yet. Hope it works and won't brick my phone.

Another suggestion if the CF-Auto-Root method doesn't work is to use the root method that install's CWMR and then when there is an OTA update, wait for that build to be rooted and then install the already rooted latest OTA update build.
    Thanks, but I'd like to keep the option of being able to receive OTA updates in the future. I don't do flashing, modding or theming, so I don't need custom recovery anyway.