[GUIDE/HOW-TO] Beginner's "Getting Started" Guide :: Root, Recovery, Roms etc

Was this thread helpful to you in any way?

• Total voters
Search This thread

a.cid

RC / Retired Mod / Portal Team
Nov 18, 2011
Mumbai

Update: Links are dead, mediafire decided to pull them without any notice. However, all important files can be found on my DevHost Account

This guide is made to help newbies get started on the basic customizations they can do to their Galaxy Fit, and with minimum possible risk of bricking it. Plus, recent update will help users to move on from being android newbies to experienced users.

Before you think of posting as ‘copied’, I want to inform you that more than 90% of the guide has been typed by me, using my own experiences with my Galaxy Fit, and has not been simply copy-pasted from anywhere.

Note: Even though care is taken to help you minimize risk of bricking your phone,
no one, except yourself, is responsible for any damage that happens to your phone.

Also, doing most of the modifications below WILL void your warranty.

Do not quote the entire post!
Quote only the part where you are facing problems...

If you completely quote the posts by me, I will not help, since I can safely assume that you are not following instructions as stated.
And do NOT pm me asking help, with regards to this thread...I will not help you there!
If you have questions/problems, ask here...I'll try my best to help you here!

Topics covered in this guide:
  1. Most stuff related to Rooting
  2. Backing up data using Titanium Backup Pro
  3. Installing Stock Roms
  4. Installing Custom Recovery
  5. Installing Custom Roms (Continued in second post)
  6. Creating and Deleting Sd-card Partition
  7. Setting up and using Link2sd
  8. Installing apk’s through “Root Explorer” method
  9. Nandroid Backups (Continued in third post)
  10. Overclocking
  11. Bricked Galaxy Fit
  12. Bootloops (Continued in fourth post)
  13. How to reclaim warranty?
  14. Battery Care
  15. Android Debugging Bridge (In fifth post)
  16. Logcats (In sixth post)

Pre-requisites:
Before you proceed, you need to have the following things ready with you:
  1. Samsung Galaxy Fit S5670 (obviously)
  2. Windows PC (Xp, Vista, 7)
  3. Usb Data Cable
  4. Samsung Usb Drivers installed on your computer (Download)
  5. Usb Debugging Enabled (Enable it from Settings> Applications> Development> Usb Debugging)
  6. A minimum of 50% Battery left for use
  7. Knowledge on how to use a windows pc (optional, but recommended :p)
  8. A calm mind, and plenty of patience.
  9. Also, remember this:
    a.To reboot into “recovery mode”, first shutdown your phone completely, then press and hold power + home button and wait for phone to switch on.
    b.To reboot into “download mode”, first shutdown your phone completely, then press and hold power + home + volume down button and wait till phone switches on (you’ll get a yellow triangle with an android inside it, with the word “Downloading” written under it)

Edit: Since a proper "route" to installing custom roms isn't very clear, I'll just add this:-
Let's say you have a stock froyo rom, and want to try some custom rom, then
  1. [OPTIONAL] Root Froyo, if you wish.
  2. Then, you update to Gingerbread.
  3. [OPTIONAL] Root GB, if you wish.
  4. Install ClockworkMod Recovery
  5. Then finally, install the custom rom of your choice.
Hope the "path" is now clearer :)

1. Rooting

Q) What is “rooting”? What are its advantages and disadvantages?
A) “Rooting” your device means obtaining “superuser” rights and permissions to your Android’s software. With these elevated user privileges, you gain the ability to load custom software (ROM’s), install custom themes, increase performance, increase battery life, and the ability to install software that would otherwise cost extra money (ex: Wi-Fi tethering). Rooting is essentially “hacking” your Android device.

For more info, refer Source

Though, one thing worth mentioning, YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE ROOTED IN ORDER TO INSTALL ANY CUSTOM ROM OR RECOVERY, it is optional but recommended…
People usually root beforehand as it helps them to backup their data…and you won't be able to root after you install a custom recovery, since the scripts are made only for stock Samsung recovery

Q) Okay, now how do I root my Galaxy Fit?

• A)
    If you are running Froyo (android version 2.2.1), then:
  • Download SuperOneClick (Source Link)
  • Make sure your phone is connected to the computer via USB, AND your SD card is NOT mounted.
  • Run the app
  • When SuperOneClick launches, you’ll see several large buttons at the top of the screen. Make sure that the debugger can “see” it (activity will start logging).
  • Click “Root” in SuperOneClick.

If you are running Gingerbread (android version 2.3.x), then:
  • Download this update.zip file (Link)
  • Place it on the root of sd card (root here meaning “home directory” of your micro-sd card, i.e. the first folder which you get when you open any file explorer)
  • Make sure the file’s name is “update.zip” (without the “”)
  • Now reboot into recovery mode
  • Select the option: “Apply update.zip”
  • Wait for it to complete, and you are done!

After you have successfully rooted, you will find an app named “Superuser” in your application menu. If not, you can download it from Play Store.
Also, it is advisable to update the app (as well as the superuser binaries, option present in-app) to the latest version available.​

Q) How do I unroot my g-fit?
A) There might be various reasons why you would want to unroot your fit (the main one being to recover/reclaim your warranty)

For unrooting (in Froyo), just run SuperOneClick again, and click option “Unroot”.
For unrooting (in GB), you have a few ways: one is a sure-shot way (install/flash stock rom), another works for some and doesn’t work for some (update.zip), and one more is false un-root.

1.Sure-shot way: This method will work all the time, i.e. you will be able to unroot successfully with this method. All you’ve got to do is flash a stock rom, and you will be back to factory settings (and even get your warranty back)

2.Update.zip method: This method worked for some users, and didn’t work for some. In this, you just need to download this file, rename it to “update.zip” and install it the same way as you did to root, i.e. reboot into recovery and apply update.zip

3.False un-root: This isn’t actually unrooting, but is a little trick I used to get my warranty back.
1. First download and install Audio Manager aka Hide It Pro
2. Then use it to hide all your root-related apps (like superuser, titanium backup etc.), and done!

Note: The false un-root method isn’t actually un-rooting, as anyone with enough android knowledge will be able to tell that you still retain root access. The method only hides the notifications that you receive from superuser, when any app is requesting root access. Exercise caution when using this method, as all apps can have root access, and you wouldn’t even come to know about it.​

Since you don’t need to have root access in order to install any custom recovery/rom, hence one of the major reason left to root is to backup your phone settings and data.
You can find plenty of apps on Play Store which can backup AND restore your data, but barely any other app can do it better than Titanium Backup. The free version also does quite a lot of stuff, but in this guide I’ll be explaining how to use the pro-version (v4.8.2), including how to do one-click backup as well as restore, and scheduling backups to run at a pre-defined time automatically.

1. First, install Titanium Backup Pro
  2. Then, run the app.
  3. (I recommend going through the app settings so that you can tweak it according to your preference)
  4. Now, you can either backup apps (and their data) one-by-one or just backup all of them at once. In order to backup all of them at once, run the app, press menu button > batch > choose option “backup all apps + system data”, and then wait for the backup process to get over.
  5. To restore backups after a data reset, run the app, press menu button > batch > choose option “restore missing app + all system data”.

Note #1: Restore all system data only if you are doing a data wipe. If you have flashed a new ROM altogether, then do not restore system data, only restore missing apps + data, else you will get force closes.

Note #2: Titanium backup automatically store its preferences/settings on your sd-card, and auto restores them after a wipe, so you do not need to bother about it again.

6. To set-up schedules, run the app, and then go to the “schedules” pane/tab, and then select the ones which were pre-set, or create new ones according to your need.
Titanium Backup has other uses as well (which you can find on your own), but the main important ones have been covered.

Note #3: Use some other app to backup and restore your contacts/call logs/messages...
I use GO Backup or sometimes, MyPhoneExplorer...

3. Installing Stock Roms

• First, download the stock rom of your choice from samfirmware.com
  • Then download beni.ops and Odin Multidownloader
  • Remove the sim card and memory card of your phone, and put it in download mode
  • Next, run Odin, and connect your phone to your windows computer. Odin should respond as detected. Then, select “Ops” as beni.ops. (Doing this would disable all other fields except “One Package”)
  • After this, select your desired stock rom in “One Package”.
  • Do not alter any other option other than those mentioned, let them remain as they are.
  • Make sure that the color of “COM PORT MAPPING” is yellow, and then click “Start”.
  • Odin will start giving different responses, and the timer in Odin would also start…now all you have to do is wait till Odin completes flashing (You will get a message “Pass”, usually within 10 minutes)
    Note: Do not disconnect you phone while the process is on, and till you get that “Pass” message.

After this, it is optional but advised that you reboot into recovery mode and wipe data, otherwise you *may* face bootloops.​

Q) I already have stock Samsung recovery. Why do I need a different recovery for?
A) The stock Samsung recovery has a very limited functionality, while other recoveries offer various other functions, and support other (better) filesystems also.
Also, to install any custom rom, you will need a custom recovery.

The most popular and commonly used recovery for Galaxy Fit is ClockworkMod Recovery v5 built by tj_style.
This recovery works with all custom roms, but it does not support backing up and restoring (Nandroid Backups) of stock roms (since samsung stock roms are of rfs filesystem).
Hence, you CAN install this recovery on stock roms, but you won’t be able to take (and restore) nandroid backups of stock roms.

However, pratyush.creed has modified this cwm5 to support backups of rfs (i.e. stock roms), you can get this from here
But for this guide, we will stick to the popular, tried and tested, cwm5 by tj_styles​

Your phone needs to be on gingerbread, as this recovery doesn’t work on Froyo.
Note: Even though rooting is not required for installing CWM, it is recommended to do so before, since you can root only from stock recovery, and CWM replaces the stock Samsung recovery.

To install this recovery:
  • Download the recovery file from the above link.
  • Also, download beni.ops and Odin Multidownloader
    (Beni.ops and Odin are the same files used, so you don’t need to download them again)
  • Next, run Odin, and connect your phone to your windows computer. Odin should respond as detected. Then, select “Ops” as beni.ops.
  • Select the recovery file under “One Package”.
  • Do not alter any other option other than those mentioned, let them remain as they are.
  • Click “Start”.
  • Wait till odin completes flashing (might take upto 10 minutes)
    Now, after your device has rebooted, restart into recovery mode to confirm that you have successfully installed ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM).

Last edited:

a.cid

Nov 18, 2011
Mumbai
5. Installing Custom Roms

Though Samsung has possibly tried its best to create the best stock roms (compared to other manufacturers), it still has a lot of potential. Custom roms are made to achieve this potential, helping you get more returns from your Fit.​

Q) How to install custom roms?
A) Before proceeding, you will need to have any custom recovery installed, since the stock Samsung recovery cannot be used here. Preferably, use CWM5 by tj_style (the one explained above). Also, remember that your phone’s data (not the one stored on sd-card) will be erased/reset, so be sure to make a backup.

1. Now, download the custom rom of your choice from the Development Section of our sub-forum.
  2. Optional: Check if the zip file you have downloaded is proper (i.e. not corrupt).
    To do this, simply use WinZip (Windows) or other similar program to extract the file on your desktop. If the extraction has completed without any errors, then the file is proper, but if you get any errors while extracting, then the file is corrupt and you will have to re-download it.
  3. Now, copy the file onto your sd-card.
  4. Reboot into recovery mode.
  5. Select “wipe data / reset”.
  6. After this completes, select “wipe cache partition”.
  7. After this, select “advanced”>”wipe dalvik cache”.
  8. Now that you have wiped all data, select “install zip from sd” from the main recovery menu, then “choose zip from sdcard”.
    [*] Optional, but recommended: Select “mounts and storage”>”format /system”.
    (Important, if you are installing any variation of CyanogenMod 7 (cm7) for the first time, or are moving from a stock based custom rom to a cm based custom rom...else you will be stuck on the "android" text screen)
  9. Now select the custom rom that you had placed on your card, and wait for it to install.
  10. Optional: When the install completes, wipe data, cache and dalvik cache again (steps 5,6,7)
  11. Select “reboot system now”, and be prepared to wait till the phone restarts. (Note: first boot may take upto 10 minutes, so do not panic)
  12. Enjoy your new rom!!!

If you want to get back to your stock rom, you will have to flash the stock rom using Odin.
Also, all custom roms are pre-rooted, so you don’t have to bother with rooting again (though you might have to update superuser and its binaries)​

For your first custom ROM, I would suggest sticking to stock based custom roms...
Some sim cards aren't compatible for CM7 and CM9/10 (cm = short for CyanogenMod)...we don't know the cause and effect relationship between them, as of yet...
So, if your CM doesn't boot into the homescreen, try removing your sim card...

If it then boots up without any additional steps required, then unfortunately, you belong to the group of people who can't use CM7 with their current SIM...

The only workaround available are:
  1. Use phone without SIM (unrealistic, since it wouldn't do the primary functions of a phone then)
  2. Change your SIM card
  3. Use stock based custom rom's, and forgo CM entirely

Partitioning sd-card is basically virtually “dividing” your sd card into parts, so that you can use each one separately for different purposes.
So, in easy words, you can virtually increase your phone’s internal memory and ram (both of which are unsatisfactorily low in our device)

However, there is a disadvantage to partitioning, mainly a slightly slowed phone. This “slowdown” is caused mostly if you:
  • Have a low-speed (technical word = “class”) sd card
  • Have moved dalvik cache to sd partition that you have created
  • Have attempted to use a swap partition

But a lot of people don’t mind this slowdown a lot, since a partition allows them to have access to more apps.
Also, you will lose hot-swapability, i.e. you won’t be able to remove your card from your phone, will the phone is running.​

Before you proceed, you SHOULD backup all of your data on your card since it will be deleted, as the card will be formatted during the process.

Q) How to create a sd partition?
A) You will need
• A good micro sd-card, with a class greater than 4
(the class is usually printed on the card itself, it’s the number inside the letter ‘C’)
• A rooted galaxy fit running android 2.3.x (preferably on a stock rom), with ClockworkMod recovery

Steps:
  • Backup all your data.
  • Reboot into CWM.
  • Go under “advanced”>”partition sd card”.
  • Select the size of your second partition (On my first try, I made a partition of 1024MB but found it too big with a lot of space unused, so I deleted the partition and made a new one of 512MB)
    This is your choice, choose one depending on the total size of your card, the no. of apps/games you’ll have etc.
  • After selecting that, select swap size as 0MB (This one also is your choice, but I’ll explain why to take 0MB, and not anything else)
  • Now wait till the process is completed, and reboot.
    As far as I know, CWM v5 makes a partition of EXT3 format, by default.

Q) Why to select swap size as 0MB?
A) Swap partition is made with the objective of utilizing it as VIRTUAL RAM. Now this may sound as a good thing, but in reality the ram in our fit is way faster than the average class 10 micro sd-card. So, instead of speeding up your system, it will slow down your system horribly after a certain point.
So, in short, you shouldn’t be using a swap partition, hence there is no point in creating one if you are not utilizing it.
You are still free to create a swap partition, but I shall not be providing support for that in this thread.​

Q) What if I want to delete all my partitions and get back my sd card the way it was?
A) There are a few ways to delete your partitions and reset your card, and I’ll explain the easiest one.

• Backup the data on your card.
  • Make sure your card is in the phone’s card slot, and that your phone is booted/running.
  • Go into Settings>Storage, then select option “Unmount sd card”
  • When the card is unmounted, you will be able to select the option “Format sd card” (which you previously couldn’t)
  • Select the option and wait for it to complete.
    If you want to delete the ext partition, I recommend doing it after a clean install of a stock rom. Else, make sure to move all your apps from the ext partition to your phone.

Now that you have created an ext partition, you need to make use of it (duh).
There are a lot of ways and scripts to transfer apps from your internal memory to the sd ext partition, but the most consistent method I found was Link2sd.
This method works across all roms (rooted stock and custom, both) that I’ve tried, even on all variations of CyanogenMod7 (CM7) as well as on ICS CM9 and JB CM10, and is very easy to setup and use.

However, if a custom rom already has DarkTremor's a2sd (a2sdgui app will be present) or any similar script, then DO NOT configure them.
For example: Creeds v3 has a2sdgui, and if i want to use Link2sd, then after flashing Creeds, I SHOULD NOT run a2sdgui, and directly install (and configure) Link2sd...if you run/configure a2sdgui, then it will clash with the working of Link2sd.
Similarly, if any custom rom has any memory hack already implemented, then you cannot use Link2sd...

Steps to setup Link2sd:
  • Download Link2sd from Play Store (it’s a free app).
  • After it gets installed, run it, and allow root access.
  • You will get a message to select the format of your sd partition, select “ext3”.
  • Link2sd will then automatically create mount scripts that it requires to work, and will then tell you to reboot your phone.
  • Do a proper reboot, and not a ‘hot reboot’.
  • After rebooting, open up Link2sd, press menu then select “settings”.
  • Select/check the options “automatically link newly installed applications to sd”, “auto link notification”, “relink lib files at boot” (and “fast scroll”, if you want).
  • For “install location” option, select “internal”.
  • Then go to “auto link settings” and select/check all the three options (you can skip/ unselect “link dalvik-cache file” if you wish)
  • Done
Now, every new app that you will install will automatically be moved to your sd ext partition.​

Link2sd is also an excellent (and fast loading) app manager, with which you can freeze, uninstall, re-install…though you can move only user apps to sd-ext partition.

Also, there is no point in having your entire phone memory empty, so you probably should unlink the dex (dalvik cache) of your apps. I usually link only the apk and lib files, and leave the dex files unlinked and on the phone storage, so as to avoid any sluggishness in operation., though if your phone memory still fills up, you can link the dex of your rarely-used apps, and leave the dex of important and frequently used apps on the phone storage.​

1. Suppose a custom rom has s2e/app2sd pre-implemented, then after a fresh install, FREEZE the app (rather than uninstall), and then install Link2sd...
  2. Also, if you get error "mount script not created", then choose partition as ext4 (rather than ext3 mentioned below), even though your partition might be ext3...(don't know why this happens with some roms :confused: )
  3. If on some ROM, you get “device/resource busy”, then you need to format your SD-EXT partition from CWM (should be under “mounts and storage”)
    [DO NOT confuse this with deleting and re-creating a partition]

8. Installing apk’s through root explorer method.

At times, some of your apk files won’t get installed in the normal way, so you can use this approach to install them. This method is coomonly referred to as "root explorer method".

For this, you will need:
•A rooted phone
Root Explorer or any other file manager.
Since root explorer isn’t a free app, you can use this free File Manager (my personal preference).

If you are unable to uninstall a newer version of any app, then first uninstall the old version, and then use this method.
Steps:
  • Get the apk file of the app that you want to install.
  • Now launch Root Explorer
  • On the top left side, it will be written as “Mount as r/w”, click that, and allow root access. (basically mount system as read and write, if you are using other file managers)
  • Now place the apk file at either /data/app or /system/app (if you want it as a system file)
  • Now set appropriate permissions (For /data/app, the default permissions are rwx rwx rwx and for /system/app, the default permissions are rw- r-- r--)
  • Reboot your phone, and then check your app drawer, you will find your app installed.

Last edited:

a.cid

Nov 18, 2011
Mumbai
12. Bootloops:

If you have flashed any custom rom/recovery/hack/kernel/update.zip, and unfortunately, have got stuck in a bootloop (i.e. you cannot reach the app launcher as the phone keeps rebooting again and again), then before asking for help, do try wiping data, cache, and dalvik cache from recovery mode...
This should stop bootloops (in lots of cases)...​

Let's just say you need your warranty back for some reason...but have done any of the above stuff (which voids your warranty)...
Then all you got to do is flash any stock rom (preferably, of your region), and you will have your warranty back ;)
(This, ofcourse, assumes that you had warranty, in the first place)​

14. Battery care

A lot of people have said that their battery has swollen. If this is the case, then this could be dangerous for YOUR HEALTH.
If this happens, you SHOULD replace your battery.​

Q) Why would the battery swell up?
A) My phone's battery looks safe enough, so I do not know the perfect cause. But from the users who complained about this, I did notice that most of them just leave their phones plugged in, unattended, for more than 4-5 hours at end (Usually, they just leave it to charge overnight)

So, if you do this on a regular basis, then watch out!​

Q) How do I know if its swollen?
A) To know if its swollen, just see if the battery surface is smooth or not, from all the sides. If there is any swelling, you will notice it.
Also, if you get REALLY POOR battery life, (only 3-4 on single full charge, with light usage), then this could be an indication that you have battery problems. [Just to confirm, ask other fellow users how much usage they get on that rom and baseband, since this could happen due to ROM and kernel also.]​

Q) What do I do if it's swollen?
A) There is no other option but to replace the battery with a new one. I STRONGLY ADVICE to buy them from your local Samsung Service Center. Avoid online sellers, or other 3rd party batteries, as they may not be proper.​

Q) Any precautions that can be taken?
A) Yup, DO NOT LEAVE YOUR PHONE TO CHARGE FOR LONG PERIODS, ALL THE TIME.
That's what has been deduced from the people who have complained.

Take Care!!​

Last edited:

a.cid

Nov 18, 2011
Mumbai
9. Nandroid Backups

Q) What are Nandroid Backups?
A) Nandroid Backups are like an exact copy image of your phone’s state, saved on your sd card. It stores all your apps, data, settings, sd-ext etc. of the phone (obviously, the state when you took the backup). Nandroid Backups are a very convenient way to restore your data after something has gone wrong (or want to change between roms), and their size can be anywhere starting from 150mb+.

If you want to test some stuff from the development section (like different mods/hacks/scripts), it is advisable to make a Nandroid Backup before you proceed...​

Q) How to make Nandroid Backups?
A) Perquisites to make a nandroid backup:
•ClockworkMod Recovery (any version) on your galaxy fit.
•Plenty of free space on your sd card (this depends on how many apps you have, my backups usually average around 450-500 MB)

Steps:
  • Do a clean reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery (i.e. shutdown properly, then reboot into recovery mode)
  • Go to “backup and restore”>”backup”
  • Wait for the process to get completed, and you are done!
    The backup that you just made has been saved to your sd-card, in a folder named clockworkmod (complete location is /mnt/sdcard/clockworkmod/backup).

Restoring:
Now, suppose, while flashing any rom, you are stuck in a never-ending bootloop, and you have wiped everything (i.e. data, cache, dalvik cache), and just want to get back the way it was, then just follow these steps to restore:
  • Boot into CWM
  • Wipe data, cache, and dalvik cache (optional, but recommended).
  • Go to “backup and restore”>”restore”, and then select your backup.
  • Wait for it to complete (time taken depends on the size of your backup, which in turn depends on the number of apps that you had installed), and reboot
  • You will find that you are now back to last state before you did that backup, with all your apps, settings etc. the way it was left.

If you keep more than one nandroid backup, you may find it confusing to remember which one is what…
So you can rename them in the following way:
Suppose the default name of my backup of a cm7 rom is 2012-03-29.14.04.59 , then I can rename it as cm72012-03-29.14.04.59
In this way, if you ever get a md5 mismatch error while restoring, then you can simply edit it back to the way it was.
However, if you still get an md5 mismatch error, then you can use this method suggested by fellow xda member, arhant. Though if the backup wasn’t created by you (i.e. you took it from someone else), then exercise caution while doing this.​

10. Overclocking

Q) What is overclocking?
A) Overclocking refers to running your processor above the “safe” limit set by Samsung (or the manufacturer, in general). This limit is usually set so that the battery life is extended, less overheating problems occur as well as minimum possible damage is done to the processor in the long run.​

Why to overclock:
  • Helps make Fit more “usable”, i.e. makes launcher smooth, games a little less laggy etc.
Why not to overclock (Most of this happens only if you don’t overclock properly):
  • Poor battery life
  • Abnormal heating of the phone
  • Increased instability

Q) How to overclock (oc) Galaxy Fit?
A) In order to overclock Galaxy Fit, you need to have a custom kernel, as the stock kernel doesn’t support overclocking, as well as root access.
Note: Stock roms can be overclocked! They just need another kernel, the in-built kernel cannot be overclocked.
• If you want to overclock on stock (at your own risk), you can flash any kernel from this via cwm (so, obviously you need cwm, stock recovery won’t do).
• Most custom roms have oc kernel in-built, so you usually don’t need to flash anything extra.

After you have a custom overclock-able kernel, you just need to install either No-frills CPU Control or SetCPU for Root Users (No-frills is free :) ) or any other such app, run them, and select the desired max frequency, governor, and i/o scheduler. (Don’t set the max frequency above 800+ mhz, unless you know what you are doing)

You have to use trial-and-error to find out the combination of governor, i/o scheduler, and max frequency, which suits your need…and you will get different results on different kernels, roms and basebands, so keep experimenting.​

11. Bricked phone

Q) What do you mean by a "bricked" phone??
A) A "bricked" phone is a phone which cannot start normally, AND cannot be rebooted into both, the recovery mode as well as the download mode...thus, effectively, it becomes just a paperweight, i.e. a brick :p
It is more of a "state" your phone can go into, if you do things wrong...​

If your phone can enter recovery mode OR download mode, then it is not bricked!
You can try and fix it yourself!

If your phone can enter recovery mode, (and assuming you have a custom recovery installed), then you simply have to flash any custom rom to get your phone back in working condition.

If your phone can enter download mode, then you can install any stock rom (via odin), to get back your phone in working condition.

Note: These solutions are general in nature, i.e. they will work for the majority of cases, but may not work for some.​

HOWEVER, IF YOUR PHONE IS BRICKED,
Then there is nothing much that we can do...only the samsng service center will be able to repair it (they replace the motherboard).​

Last edited:

a.cid

Nov 18, 2011
Mumbai
15. Android Debugging Bridge (ADB)

To put it simply, adb is two different applications - one running on your computer (Windows, Linux or Mac) and one running on your phone (which you don’t have to bother about). When your phone is connected, and USB debugging is enabled, you can issue commands and communicate with the phone using your computer screen and keyboard.
Your Android phone uses a modified Linux kernel and tools as a base. This means that quite a few Linux commands can be sent via the adb server (the one running on your computer) to the adb client (the one running on your phone) and they will be executed. – Android Central
Q) How do I setup ADB on my Windows PC?
A) With the help of my friend wilfredcool007, I have made a really simple method to use adb and also provided some tools for hassle-free logcats. This method is portable in nature (you do not have to install any untrusted application), does not need large downloads, neither the full Android SDK installation. You will just have to download a small compressed file, which is all that you require.
Thank You Wilfred!

Make sure you have the device drivers installed beforehand. If you have been following this guide since the beginning, you will have it on your computer. If not, just simply refer the beginning of this thread.

Steps:
  • Download this file: ADB & Logcat Tools.zip
  • Extract the .zip file to any suitable location, wherever you wish. I extracted it on to C:\Android Debugging Bridge just so that it’s easy to remember where it is.
  • Now, once you’ve extracted the zip, you will find 7 files in it [of which the 3 files named as “Logcat xxxxxx”, and “dmesg”, will be used in the later part of this guide for making logcats].
  • To launch ADB, just hold the “Shift” key and right click on a blank area in the folder, and in the drop down menu which follows, select the option “Open Command Window Here”.
  • And you’re done! Now you can use any of the adb commands that you wish! It really is this simple!

Some common ADB commands are:
Code:
adb devices – list all connected devices
adb push <local> <remote> – copy file/dir to device
adb pull <remote> [<local>] – copy file/dir from device
adb sync [ <directory> ] – copy host->device only if changed
adb shell – run remote shell interactively
adb shell <command> – run remote shell command
adb emu <command> – run emulator console command
adb logcat [ <filter-spec> ] – View device log
adb forward <local> <remote> – forward socket connections forward specs are one of: tcp:<port>
localabstract:<unix domain socket name>
localreserved:<unix domain socket name>
localfilesystem:<unix domain socket name>
dev:<character device name>
jdwp:<process pid> (remote only)
adb jdwp – list PIDs of processes hosting a JDWP transport
adb install [-l] [-r] [-s] <file> – push this package file to the device and install it
adb uninstall [-k] <package> – remove this app package from the device (‘-k’ means keep the data and cache directories)
adb bugreport – return all information from the device that should be included in a bug report.
adb help – show this help message
adb version – show version num
adb wait-for-device – block until device is online
adb start-server – ensure that there is a server running
adb kill-server – kill the server if it is running
adb get-state – prints: offline | bootloader | device
adb get-serialno – prints: <serial-number>
adb status-window – continuously print device status for a specified device
adb remount – remounts the /system partition on the device read-write
adb reboot [bootloader|recovery] – reboots the device, optionally into the bootloader or recovery program
adb reboot-bootloader – reboots the device into the bootloader
adb root – restarts the adbd daemon with root permissions
adb usb – restarts the adbd daemon listening on USB
More information regarding some common ones will come soon.
You can also refer Google’s Official Page too.

Last edited:

a.cid

Nov 18, 2011
Mumbai
16. Logcats

A lot of time, you'll see developers asking for logcat. Viewing a logcat is usually the best, and in some cases, the only way to diagnose a problem.
You can do it two ways:
  1. Within the device, through apps like aLogcat or Catlog or any other application that is capable of logging (This is self explanatory, all you got to do is download and run the app, and the app will do the work. Do check out the options to tweak out the settings and other stuff. I shall not be providing help for these in this thread.)
  2. With ADB (explained further)
Thanks to the zip provided in the previous step, it’s really easy to do so via adb.
Steps:
  • If you haven’t downloaded it already, do download the ADB & Logcat Tools.zip (it’s the same file mentioned above) and extract it to a suitable location.
  • You have two options now.
    You can either run adb as explained above and use the command
    Code:
    adb logcat >logcat.txt
    There will be no further activity on the screen, but the logging will start. Recreate the problem that you wanted, and when you need to stop the logcat, just press “Ctrl” + “C” [Hold Ctrl and press C], and then press “Y” and “Enter” key to stop logging.
    You will notice that a file named logcat.txt has appeared, and when you open the file in Notepad, you shall see its contents.
    Example:
    Code:
    --------- beginning of /dev/log/system 
    I/ActivityManager( 1019): Starting: Intent { flg=0x14000000 cmp=com.whatsapp/.Conversation (has extras) } from pid 18867 
    D/VoldCmdListener(  891): volume shared /mnt/sdcard ums W/ActivityManager( 1019): Activity pause timeout for HistoryRecord{405690f0 com.whatsapp/.Conversation} 
    D/VoldCmdListener(  891): volume shared /mnt/sdcard ums 
    I/ActivityManager( 1019): Starting: Intent { flg=0x14000000 cmp=com.whatsapp/.Conversation (has extras) } from pid 18867 
    W/InputManagerService( 1019): Starting input on non-focused client com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@408a7808 (uid=10080 pid=18867) 
    D/MusicControls( 1279): Updating Music Controls Visibility 
    D/MusicControls( 1279): Music is not active 
    W/InputManagerService( 1019): Window already focused, ignoring focus gain of: com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@407d78e0 
    W/InputManagerService( 1019): Window already focused, ignoring focus gain of: com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@40751610 
    D/StatusBarService( 1279): DISABLE_CLOCK: yes 
    D/StatusBarService( 1279): DISABLE_NAVIGATION: yes 
    W/ProcessStats( 1019): Skipping unknown process pid 26719 
    I/ActivityManager( 1019): Start proc mobi.mgeek.TunnyBrowser:DolphinNotification for service mobi.mgeek.TunnyBrowser/com.dolphin.browser.message.C2DMService: pid=26767 uid=10119 gids={3003, 1015, 1007} 
    I/ActivityManager( 1019): Process com.google.android.talk (pid 18915) has died. 
    I/ActivityManager( 1019): Process mobi.mgeek.TunnyBrowser:DolphinNotification (pid 26767) has died. 
    W/ProcessStats( 1019): Skipping unknown process pid 27439 
    I/TelephonyRegistry( 1019): notifyDataConnection: state=0 isDataConnectivityPossible=false reason=null interfaceName=null networkType=2 
    I/TelephonyRegistry( 1019): notifyDataConnection: state=1 isDataConnectivityPossible=true reason=null interfaceName=null networkType=2 
    I/ActivityManager( 1019): Start proc com.google.android.apps.uploader for broadcast com.google.android.apps.uploader/.ConnectivityBroadcastReceiver: pid=27556 uid=10005 gids={3003}
    Logcats get longer the longer they run. So it is advisable that you run the logcat and immediately proceed to recreate the problem.

Also, paste the resulting logcat on sites like Pastebin and share the link to the dev!​

Now, you must be wondering what the rest of the files in the Zip were for…
Well, those files are pre-configured commands for logcats to run. All that has to be done is double click the .bat files, and logging shall start. To stop logging, as stated above, press CTRL+C, then Y and ENTER.
Remember: Do delete/rename/move the output logcat file before creating a new logcat with the following files.
Files:
  • Logcat 1 (Long and Detailed).bat : Normal Logcat command. Same result as the example given above.
  • Logcat 2 (Short and Errors only).bat : Shorter Logcat command. Omits out Verbose, Debug and Info. Displays/Filters only Warning, Error And Fatal. Useful when logcat duration is very long, as this displays only the error and fault messages. Example:
    Code:
    11-13 12:13:40.099  1019  1019 W InputManagerService: Window already focused, ignoring focus gain of: com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@4073a980
    11-13 12:20:34.359  1019  1360 W InputManagerService: Window already focused, ignoring focus gain of: com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@4052c3b8 
    11-13 12:22:31.069  1019  1045 W ActivityManager: Activity pause timeout for HistoryRecord{4085daf8 com.quoord.tapatalkxdapre.activity/.forum.ForumNavigationActivity} 
    11-13 12:23:42.009  1019  1402 W InputManagerService: Window already focused, ignoring focus gain of: com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@4068b790 
    11-13 12:28:36.779  1019 28921 W InputManagerService: Window already focused, ignoring focus gain of: com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@408d2f90 
    11-13 12:31:20.980  1019  1402 W InputManagerService: Window already focused, ignoring focus gain of: com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@40684258 
    11-13 12:58:05.899  1019  1057 W ProcessStats: Skipping unknown process pid 29887 
    11-13 13:06:11.630  1019  1045 W ActivityManager: Activity pause timeout for HistoryRecord{405d5100 com.android.phone/.InCallScreen} 
    11-13 13:06:14.400  1019 26640 W WindowManager: Layout repeat skipped after too many iterations 
    11-13 13:06:14.400  1019 26640 W WindowManager: Layout repeat skipped after too many iterations 
    11-13 13:06:14.400  1019 26640 W WindowManager: Animation repeat aborted after too many iterations 
    11-13 13:06:14.420  1019  1211 W WindowManager: Layout repeat skipped after too many iterations
    11-13 13:06:14.750  1019  1211 W WindowManager: Animation repeat aborted after too many iterations 
    11-13 13:06:21.069  1019  1045 W ActivityManager: Activity idle timeout for HistoryRecord{405d5100 com.android.phone/.InCallScreen} 
    11-13 13:17:41.240  1019 28924 W InputManagerService: Window already focused, ignoring focus gain of: com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@4084bdb8
    11-13 14:02:27.259  1019  1328 W InputManagerService: Window already focused, ignoring focus gain of: com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@4085bef0 
    11-13 14:06:00.389  1019  1330 W ActivityManager: Scheduling restart of crashed service com.whatsapp/.messaging.MessageService in 5000ms 
    11-13 14:06:03.459  1019 28922 W InputManagerService: Window already focused, ignoring focus gain of: com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@408d4728
    11-13 14:09:21.689  1019 21101 W InputManagerService: Window already focused, ignoring focus gain of: com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@405b05f0 
    11-13 14:09:23.329  1019  1330 W ActivityManager: Scheduling restart of crashed service com.jim2/.UpdateService in 5000ms 
    11-13 14:09:35.339  1019  1045 W ActivityManager: Launch timeout has expired, giving up wake lock! 
    11-13 14:09:35.399  1019  1057 W ActivityManager: Process ProcessRecord{406b4718 32036:com.imgurforandroid/10108} failed to attach 
    11-13 14:09:41.639  1019  1045 W ActivityManager: Activity pause timeout for HistoryRecord{4050c488 com.imgurforandroid/.activity.LaunchUploadUi} 
    11-13 14:09:41.679  1019  1034 W InputManagerService: Window already focused, ignoring focus gain of: com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@406d4f48 
    11-13 14:10:23.679  1019  1033 W InputManagerService: Window already focused, ignoring focus gain of: com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@40553d10 
    11-13 14:11:00.629  1019 28924 W ActivityManager: startActivity called from non-Activity context; forcing Intent.FLAG_ACTIVITY_NEW_TASK for: Intent { cmp=com.imgurforandroid/.activity.ImageDetails bnds=[0,138][240,189] (has extras) } 
    11-13 14:11:25.639  1019  1033 W InputManagerService: Window already focused, ignoring focus gain of: com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@406e0698 
    11-13 14:11:58.979  1019  1045 W ActivityManager: Activity pause timeout for HistoryRecord{408690f0 com.quoord.tapatalkxdapre.activity/.forum.ForumNavigationActivity} 
    11-13 14:12:26.129  1019  1360 W InputManagerService: Window already focused, ignoring focus gain of: com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@40666ef8 
    11-13 14:13:20.449  1019  1402 W InputManagerService: Window already focused, ignoring focus gain of: com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@406b0838 
    11-13 14:13:53.159  1019 28922 W ActivityManager: Duplicate finish request for HistoryRecord{407186d8 com.quoord.tapatalkxdapre.activity/.forum.ForumNavigationActivity} 
    11-13 14:36:20.180  1019  1034 W InputManagerService: Window already focused, ignoring focus gain of: com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@40649238 
    11-13 14:36:23.110  1019  1034 W ActivityManager: Scheduling restart of crashed service com.imgurforandroid/.ImgurUploadService in 5000ms 
    11-13 14:36:53.479  1019 26640 W InputManagerService: Starting input on non-focused client com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@408b4368 (uid=1001 pid=1304) 
    11-13 14:36:56.649  1019  1033 W BackupManagerService: dataChanged but no participant pkg='com.android.providers.settings' uid=10092 
    11-13 14:36:56.799  1019  1328 W BackupManagerService: dataChanged but no participant pkg='com.android.providers.settings' uid=10092 
    11-13 14:37:58.840  1019  1330 W InputManagerService: Window already focused, ignoring focus gain of: com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@4062e1d0 
    11-13 14:43:51.779   484   509 E ActivityThread: Failed to find provider info for com.opera.branding.BrandingProvider 
    11-13 14:43:51.779   484   509 E ActivityThread: Failed to find provider info for com.opera.branding.BrandingProvider 
    11-13 14:43:51.789   484   510 E ActivityThread: Failed to find provider info for com.opera.branding.BrandingProvider
  • Logcat 3 (Radio related only).bat : Displays only messages related to radio (telephony). Useful whenever your developer asks for a Radio logcat. Example:
    Code:
     D/RILJ    ( 1304): [1876]> QUERY_NETWORK_SELECTION_MODE 
    D/RILJ    ( 1304): Serial: 1875 
    D/RILJ    ( 1304): Error: 0 
    D/RILJ    ( 1304): [1875]< REGISTRATION_STATE {1, 1777, 0000d72a} 
    D/RILJ    ( 1304): Serial: 1876 
    D/RILJ    ( 1304): [1876]< QUERY_NETWORK_SELECTION_MODE {0} 
    D/GSM     ( 1304): Poll ServiceState done:  oldSS=[0 home TATA DOCOMO TATA DOCOMO 405039  EDGE CSS not supported -1 -1RoamInd: -1DefRoamInd: -1EmergOnly: false] newSS=[0 home TATA DOCOMO TATA DOCOMO 405039  EDGE CSS not supported -1 -1RoamInd: -1DefRoamInd: -1EmergOnly: false] oldGprs=0 newGprs=0 oldType=EDGE newType=EDGE 
    D/GSM     ( 1304): [DataConnection] Stop poll NetStat 
    D/GSM     ( 1304): [DataConnection] Start poll NetStat 
    D/RILJ    ( 1304): [1877]> SCREEN_STATE: false 
    D/RILJ    ( 1304): Serial: 1877 
    D/RILJ    ( 1304): [1877]< SCREEN_STATE  
    D/RILJ    ( 1304): [1878]> SCREEN_STATE: true 
    D/RILJ    ( 1304): [UNSL]< UNSOL_RESPONSE_NETWORK_STATE_CHANGED 
    D/RILJ    ( 1304): Serial: 1878 
    D/RILJ    ( 1304): [1878]< SCREEN_STATE  
    D/RILJ    ( 1304): [1879]> OPERATOR 
    D/RILJ    ( 1304): [1880]> GPRS_REGISTRATION_STATE 
    D/RILJ    ( 1304): [1881]> REGISTRATION_STATE 
    D/RILJ    ( 1304): Serial: 1879 
    D/RILJ    ( 1304): [1879]< OPERATOR {TATA DOCOMO, TATA DOCOMO, 405039} 
    D/RILJ    ( 1304): [1882]> QUERY_NETWORK_SELECTION_MODE
  • Dmesg.bat : Prints messages from the kernel, useful as tool for debugging drivers and other kernel code. Use this whenever the developer asks to get a dmesg output. Example:
    Code:
      # c027ce40 : [HSIL] mdp_suspend_sub(1387) will cancel_delayed_work 
    <4>[34607.196686] [HSIL] mdp_suspend_sub(1391) will flush_workqueue 
    <4>[34607.196731] [HSIL] mdp_suspend_sub(1395) will atomic_read 
    <4>[34607.196773] [HSIL] mdp_suspend_sub(1400) will mdp_pipe_ctrl 
    <4>[34607.196816] [HSIL] mdp_suspend_sub(1402) after mdp_pipe_ctrl 
    <6>[34607.196854]  # c03d7894 :  
    <6>[34607.196883]  # c03d7894 :  
    <6>[34607.196909]  # c03cb4a0 :  
    <6>[34607.196939] early_suspend: after calling suspend handlers 
    <6>[34607.205456] early_suspend: after calling sync_work_queue 
    <6>[34607.205508] early_suspend: abort label / before spin lock 
    <6>[34607.205564] early_suspend: unlocked main_wake_lock 
    <6>[34607.205599] early_suspend: end 
    <4>[34607.205636] [BACLKIGHT] : 17 
    <4>[34607.205668] Platform V:17, Find V:1 
    <4>[34607.205714] LCD Backlight re-init - wakeup time tune:1, lcd:32 
    <4>[34607.205926] [BACLKIGHT] : 15 
    <4>[34607.205956] Platform V:15, Find V:1

There you have it! Life made simpler, just double click and you are done!

Q) What’s the difference between Logcat and Dmesg?
A) Read this for info.

Last edited:

a.cid

Nov 18, 2011
Mumbai
Hope this guide helped you. :)

I appreciate feedback and constructive criticism, but please, no “haters”/”trolls”.
Whatever questions/doubts you have regarding this guide, then please post it here itself…I don’t guarantee replying tech support questions via pm :).
Do consider clicking on the “thanks” button rather than just posting thanks, and also joining us on our Facebook Group :)

Last edited:

martin_s5670

Feb 20, 2012
Berlin

a.cid

Nov 18, 2011
Mumbai
the first troll here hehe
What is s5670? Can i eat it? :D

Ok good work for newbie - who messup forum :)
Idk what s is, but 5670 are part of the number series...
You know 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 0 :p
Pratyush mentioned in:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=24719114&postcount=1387
a cwm for rfs / see download-link, therefore exists in theory the possibility to oc stock-roms.

Ohhh sorry I totally forgot about that...will update the thread tomorrow from comp...
But I haven't tried it personally :/
And other recoveries (like the touch ones) give errors while flashing a few stuff...

Sent from my g-fit using xda premium

a.cid

Nov 18, 2011
Mumbai
Reactions: aya.yaya

a.cid

Nov 18, 2011
Mumbai
Deleting
xn--http-fb7a//
in adress helps!

Links updated...
i had typed in this in ms word, and it has messed around with the foramtting...
anyways, if you still find something wrong, do inform me :)

edit: added pratyush's recovery, as well as updated post to clarify...

Last edited:

a.cid

Nov 18, 2011
Mumbai
Pardon, its not pratyush's recovery, ..its of tj's !, see:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=24749890&postcount=1392

I know :p

The most popular and commonly used recovery for Galaxy Fit is ClockworkMod Recovery v5 built by tj_style.
This recovery works with all custom roms, but it does not support backing up and restoring (Nandroid Backups) of stock roms (since samsung stock roms are of rfs filesystem).
Hence, you CAN install this recovery on stock roms, but you wont be able to take (and restore) nandroid backups of stock roms.

However, pratyush.creed has modified this cwm5 to support backups of rfs (i.e. stock roms), you can get this from here
But for this guide, we will stick to the popular, tried and tested, cwm5 by tj_styles

Reactions: Nikhil_G

yzak58

Oct 2, 2011
Trivandrum
:)

first of all I really thank you for this wonderful guide...:D

btw,the main reason to write this post -
what difference does it make if i select EXT4 instead of EXT3 while partitioning SD card

thnx :)

Reactions: a.cid

a.cid

Nov 18, 2011
Mumbai
first of all I really thank you for this wonderful guide...:D

btw,the main reason to write this post -
what difference does it make if i select EXT4 instead of EXT3 while partitioning SD card

thnx :)

The cwm mentioned in my post doesn't give you the option to select ext3 or ext4 :p
It, by default, partitions it to ext3...

Typed on a small touchscreen

akash6448

May 6, 2012
Vadodara
Hey friend.. i m unable to root my mobile...
I have installed "GINGERBREAD.DXKT7 2.3.6"
So please say how can i root this stock rom...

Last edited by a moderator:

a.cid

Nov 18, 2011
Mumbai
Hey friend.. i m unable to root my mobile...
I have installed "GINGERBREAD.DXKT7 2.3.6"
So please say how can i root this stock rom...

Can you list the steps you did?
Also check if you have downloaded the update.zip correctly (simply try and extract it on your comp)...

Typed using a small touchscreen

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Update: Links are dead, mediafire decided to pull them without any notice. However, all important files can be found on my DevHost Account

This guide is made to help newbies get started on the basic customizations they can do to their Galaxy Fit, and with minimum possible risk of bricking it. Plus, recent update will help users to move on from being android newbies to experienced users.

Before you think of posting as ‘copied’, I want to inform you that more than 90% of the guide has been typed by me, using my own experiences with my Galaxy Fit, and has not been simply copy-pasted from anywhere.

Note: Even though care is taken to help you minimize risk of bricking your phone,
    no one, except yourself, is responsible for any damage that happens to your phone.

Also, doing most of the modifications below WILL void your warranty.

Do not quote the entire post!
    Quote only the part where you are facing problems...

If you completely quote the posts by me, I will not help, since I can safely assume that you are not following instructions as stated.
    And do NOT pm me asking help, with regards to this thread...I will not help you there!
    If you have questions/problems, ask here...I'll try my best to help you here!

Topics covered in this guide:
    1. Most stuff related to Rooting
    3. Installing Stock Roms
    5. Installing Custom Roms (Continued in second post)
    8. Installing apk’s through “Root Explorer” method
    9. Nandroid Backups (Continued in third post)
    10. Overclocking
    11. Bricked Galaxy Fit
    12. Bootloops (Continued in fourth post)
    14. Battery Care
    15. Android Debugging Bridge (In fifth post)
    16. Logcats (In sixth post)

Pre-requisites:
    Before you proceed, you need to have the following things ready with you:
    1. Samsung Galaxy Fit S5670 (obviously)
    2. Windows PC (Xp, Vista, 7)
    3. Usb Data Cable
    4. Samsung Usb Drivers installed on your computer (Download)
    5. Usb Debugging Enabled (Enable it from Settings> Applications> Development> Usb Debugging)
    6. A minimum of 50% Battery left for use
    7. Knowledge on how to use a windows pc (optional, but recommended :p)
    8. A calm mind, and plenty of patience.
    9. Also, remember this:
      a.To reboot into “recovery mode”, first shutdown your phone completely, then press and hold power + home button and wait for phone to switch on.
      b.To reboot into “download mode”, first shutdown your phone completely, then press and hold power + home + volume down button and wait till phone switches on (you’ll get a yellow triangle with an android inside it, with the word “Downloading” written under it)

Edit: Since a proper "route" to installing custom roms isn't very clear, I'll just add this:-
    Let's say you have a stock froyo rom, and want to try some custom rom, then
    1. [OPTIONAL] Root Froyo, if you wish.
    2. Then, you update to Gingerbread.
    3. [OPTIONAL] Root GB, if you wish.
    4. Install ClockworkMod Recovery
    5. Then finally, install the custom rom of your choice.
    Hope the "path" is now clearer :)

1. Rooting

Q) What is “rooting”? What are its advantages and disadvantages?
    A) “Rooting” your device means obtaining “superuser” rights and permissions to your Android’s software. With these elevated user privileges, you gain the ability to load custom software (ROM’s), install custom themes, increase performance, increase battery life, and the ability to install software that would otherwise cost extra money (ex: Wi-Fi tethering). Rooting is essentially “hacking” your Android device.

For more info, refer Source

Though, one thing worth mentioning, YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE ROOTED IN ORDER TO INSTALL ANY CUSTOM ROM OR RECOVERY, it is optional but recommended…
    People usually root beforehand as it helps them to backup their data…and you won't be able to root after you install a custom recovery, since the scripts are made only for stock Samsung recovery

Q) Okay, now how do I root my Galaxy Fit?

• A)
      If you are running Froyo (android version 2.2.1), then:
    • Download SuperOneClick (Source Link)
    • Make sure your phone is connected to the computer via USB, AND your SD card is NOT mounted.
    • Run the app
    • When SuperOneClick launches, you’ll see several large buttons at the top of the screen. Make sure that the debugger can “see” it (activity will start logging).
    • Click “Root” in SuperOneClick.

If you are running Gingerbread (android version 2.3.x), then:
    • Download this update.zip file (Link)
    • Place it on the root of sd card (root here meaning “home directory” of your micro-sd card, i.e. the first folder which you get when you open any file explorer)
    • Make sure the file’s name is “update.zip” (without the “”)
    • Now reboot into recovery mode
    • Select the option: “Apply update.zip”
    • Wait for it to complete, and you are done!

After you have successfully rooted, you will find an app named “Superuser” in your application menu. If not, you can download it from Play Store.
    Also, it is advisable to update the app (as well as the superuser binaries, option present in-app) to the latest version available.​

Q) How do I unroot my g-fit?
    A) There might be various reasons why you would want to unroot your fit (the main one being to recover/reclaim your warranty)

For unrooting (in Froyo), just run SuperOneClick again, and click option “Unroot”.
    For unrooting (in GB), you have a few ways: one is a sure-shot way (install/flash stock rom), another works for some and doesn’t work for some (update.zip), and one more is false un-root.

1.Sure-shot way: This method will work all the time, i.e. you will be able to unroot successfully with this method. All you’ve got to do is flash a stock rom, and you will be back to factory settings (and even get your warranty back)

2.Update.zip method: This method worked for some users, and didn’t work for some. In this, you just need to download this file, rename it to “update.zip” and install it the same way as you did to root, i.e. reboot into recovery and apply update.zip

3.False un-root: This isn’t actually unrooting, but is a little trick I used to get my warranty back.
    1. First download and install Audio Manager aka Hide It Pro
    2. Then use it to hide all your root-related apps (like superuser, titanium backup etc.), and done!

Note: The false un-root method isn’t actually un-rooting, as anyone with enough android knowledge will be able to tell that you still retain root access. The method only hides the notifications that you receive from superuser, when any app is requesting root access. Exercise caution when using this method, as all apps can have root access, and you wouldn’t even come to know about it.​

Since you don’t need to have root access in order to install any custom recovery/rom, hence one of the major reason left to root is to backup your phone settings and data.
    You can find plenty of apps on Play Store which can backup AND restore your data, but barely any other app can do it better than Titanium Backup. The free version also does quite a lot of stuff, but in this guide I’ll be explaining how to use the pro-version (v4.8.2), including how to do one-click backup as well as restore, and scheduling backups to run at a pre-defined time automatically.

1. First, install Titanium Backup Pro
    2. Then, run the app.
    3. (I recommend going through the app settings so that you can tweak it according to your preference)
    4. Now, you can either backup apps (and their data) one-by-one or just backup all of them at once. In order to backup all of them at once, run the app, press menu button > batch > choose option “backup all apps + system data”, and then wait for the backup process to get over.
    5. To restore backups after a data reset, run the app, press menu button > batch > choose option “restore missing app + all system data”.

Note #1: Restore all system data only if you are doing a data wipe. If you have flashed a new ROM altogether, then do not restore system data, only restore missing apps + data, else you will get force closes.

Note #2: Titanium backup automatically store its preferences/settings on your sd-card, and auto restores them after a wipe, so you do not need to bother about it again.

6. To set-up schedules, run the app, and then go to the “schedules” pane/tab, and then select the ones which were pre-set, or create new ones according to your need.
    Titanium Backup has other uses as well (which you can find on your own), but the main important ones have been covered.

Note #3: Use some other app to backup and restore your contacts/call logs/messages...
    I use GO Backup or sometimes, MyPhoneExplorer...

3. Installing Stock Roms

• First, download the stock rom of your choice from samfirmware.com
    • Then download beni.ops and Odin Multidownloader
    • Remove the sim card and memory card of your phone, and put it in download mode
    • Next, run Odin, and connect your phone to your windows computer. Odin should respond as detected. Then, select “Ops” as beni.ops. (Doing this would disable all other fields except “One Package”)
    • After this, select your desired stock rom in “One Package”.
    • Make sure that the color of “COM PORT MAPPING” is yellow, and then click “Start”.
    • Odin will start giving different responses, and the timer in Odin would also start…now all you have to do is wait till Odin completes flashing (You will get a message “Pass”, usually within 10 minutes)
      Note: Do not disconnect you phone while the process is on, and till you get that “Pass” message.

After this, it is optional but advised that you reboot into recovery mode and wipe data, otherwise you *may* face bootloops.​

Q) I already have stock Samsung recovery. Why do I need a different recovery for?
    A) The stock Samsung recovery has a very limited functionality, while other recoveries offer various other functions, and support other (better) filesystems also.
    Also, to install any custom rom, you will need a custom recovery.

Hence, you CAN install this recovery on stock roms, but you won’t be able to take (and restore) nandroid backups of stock roms.

But for this guide, we will stick to the popular, tried and tested, cwm5 by tj_styles​

Your phone needs to be on gingerbread, as this recovery doesn’t work on Froyo.
    Note: Even though rooting is not required for installing CWM, it is recommended to do so before, since you can root only from stock recovery, and CWM replaces the stock Samsung recovery.

To install this recovery:
    • Download the recovery file from the above link.
    • Also, download beni.ops and Odin Multidownloader
      (Beni.ops and Odin are the same files used, so you don’t need to download them again)
    • Next, run Odin, and connect your phone to your windows computer. Odin should respond as detected. Then, select “Ops” as beni.ops.
    • Select the recovery file under “One Package”.
    • Click “Start”.
    • Wait till odin completes flashing (might take upto 10 minutes)
      Now, after your device has rebooted, restart into recovery mode to confirm that you have successfully installed ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM).
    5. Installing Custom Roms

Though Samsung has possibly tried its best to create the best stock roms (compared to other manufacturers), it still has a lot of potential. Custom roms are made to achieve this potential, helping you get more returns from your Fit.​

Q) How to install custom roms?
    A) Before proceeding, you will need to have any custom recovery installed, since the stock Samsung recovery cannot be used here. Preferably, use CWM5 by tj_style (the one explained above). Also, remember that your phone’s data (not the one stored on sd-card) will be erased/reset, so be sure to make a backup.

1. Now, download the custom rom of your choice from the Development Section of our sub-forum.
    2. Optional: Check if the zip file you have downloaded is proper (i.e. not corrupt).
      To do this, simply use WinZip (Windows) or other similar program to extract the file on your desktop. If the extraction has completed without any errors, then the file is proper, but if you get any errors while extracting, then the file is corrupt and you will have to re-download it.
    3. Now, copy the file onto your sd-card.
    4. Reboot into recovery mode.
    5. Select “wipe data / reset”.
    6. After this completes, select “wipe cache partition”.
    7. After this, select “advanced”>”wipe dalvik cache”.
    8. Now that you have wiped all data, select “install zip from sd” from the main recovery menu, then “choose zip from sdcard”.
      [*] Optional, but recommended: Select “mounts and storage”>”format /system”.
      (Important, if you are installing any variation of CyanogenMod 7 (cm7) for the first time, or are moving from a stock based custom rom to a cm based custom rom...else you will be stuck on the "android" text screen)
    9. Now select the custom rom that you had placed on your card, and wait for it to install.
    10. Optional: When the install completes, wipe data, cache and dalvik cache again (steps 5,6,7)
    11. Select “reboot system now”, and be prepared to wait till the phone restarts. (Note: first boot may take upto 10 minutes, so do not panic)
    12. Enjoy your new rom!!!

If you want to get back to your stock rom, you will have to flash the stock rom using Odin.
    Also, all custom roms are pre-rooted, so you don’t have to bother with rooting again (though you might have to update superuser and its binaries)​

For your first custom ROM, I would suggest sticking to stock based custom roms...
    Some sim cards aren't compatible for CM7 and CM9/10 (cm = short for CyanogenMod)...we don't know the cause and effect relationship between them, as of yet...
    So, if your CM doesn't boot into the homescreen, try removing your sim card...

If it then boots up without any additional steps required, then unfortunately, you belong to the group of people who can't use CM7 with their current SIM...

The only workaround available are:
    1. Use phone without SIM (unrealistic, since it wouldn't do the primary functions of a phone then)
    2. Change your SIM card
    3. Use stock based custom rom's, and forgo CM entirely

Partitioning sd-card is basically virtually “dividing” your sd card into parts, so that you can use each one separately for different purposes.
    So, in easy words, you can virtually increase your phone’s internal memory and ram (both of which are unsatisfactorily low in our device)

However, there is a disadvantage to partitioning, mainly a slightly slowed phone. This “slowdown” is caused mostly if you:
    • Have a low-speed (technical word = “class”) sd card
    • Have moved dalvik cache to sd partition that you have created
    • Have attempted to use a swap partition

But a lot of people don’t mind this slowdown a lot, since a partition allows them to have access to more apps.
    Also, you will lose hot-swapability, i.e. you won’t be able to remove your card from your phone, will the phone is running.​

Before you proceed, you SHOULD backup all of your data on your card since it will be deleted, as the card will be formatted during the process.

Q) How to create a sd partition?
    A) You will need
    • A good micro sd-card, with a class greater than 4
    (the class is usually printed on the card itself, it’s the number inside the letter ‘C’)
    • A rooted galaxy fit running android 2.3.x (preferably on a stock rom), with ClockworkMod recovery

Steps:
    • Backup all your data.
    • Reboot into CWM.
    • Go under “advanced”>”partition sd card”.
    • Select the size of your second partition (On my first try, I made a partition of 1024MB but found it too big with a lot of space unused, so I deleted the partition and made a new one of 512MB)
      This is your choice, choose one depending on the total size of your card, the no. of apps/games you’ll have etc.
    • After selecting that, select swap size as 0MB (This one also is your choice, but I’ll explain why to take 0MB, and not anything else)
    • Now wait till the process is completed, and reboot.
      As far as I know, CWM v5 makes a partition of EXT3 format, by default.

Q) Why to select swap size as 0MB?
    A) Swap partition is made with the objective of utilizing it as VIRTUAL RAM. Now this may sound as a good thing, but in reality the ram in our fit is way faster than the average class 10 micro sd-card. So, instead of speeding up your system, it will slow down your system horribly after a certain point.
    So, in short, you shouldn’t be using a swap partition, hence there is no point in creating one if you are not utilizing it.
    You are still free to create a swap partition, but I shall not be providing support for that in this thread.​

Q) What if I want to delete all my partitions and get back my sd card the way it was?
    A) There are a few ways to delete your partitions and reset your card, and I’ll explain the easiest one.

• Backup the data on your card.
    • Make sure your card is in the phone’s card slot, and that your phone is booted/running.
    • Go into Settings>Storage, then select option “Unmount sd card”
    • When the card is unmounted, you will be able to select the option “Format sd card” (which you previously couldn’t)
    • Select the option and wait for it to complete.
      If you want to delete the ext partition, I recommend doing it after a clean install of a stock rom. Else, make sure to move all your apps from the ext partition to your phone.

Now that you have created an ext partition, you need to make use of it (duh).
    There are a lot of ways and scripts to transfer apps from your internal memory to the sd ext partition, but the most consistent method I found was Link2sd.
    This method works across all roms (rooted stock and custom, both) that I’ve tried, even on all variations of CyanogenMod7 (CM7) as well as on ICS CM9 and JB CM10, and is very easy to setup and use.

However, if a custom rom already has DarkTremor's a2sd (a2sdgui app will be present) or any similar script, then DO NOT configure them.
    For example: Creeds v3 has a2sdgui, and if i want to use Link2sd, then after flashing Creeds, I SHOULD NOT run a2sdgui, and directly install (and configure) Link2sd...if you run/configure a2sdgui, then it will clash with the working of Link2sd.
    Similarly, if any custom rom has any memory hack already implemented, then you cannot use Link2sd...

Steps to setup Link2sd:
    • Download Link2sd from Play Store (it’s a free app).
    • After it gets installed, run it, and allow root access.
    • You will get a message to select the format of your sd partition, select “ext3”.
    • Link2sd will then automatically create mount scripts that it requires to work, and will then tell you to reboot your phone.
    • Do a proper reboot, and not a ‘hot reboot’.
    • After rebooting, open up Link2sd, press menu then select “settings”.
    • Select/check the options “automatically link newly installed applications to sd”, “auto link notification”, “relink lib files at boot” (and “fast scroll”, if you want).
    • For “install location” option, select “internal”.
    • Then go to “auto link settings” and select/check all the three options (you can skip/ unselect “link dalvik-cache file” if you wish)
    • Done
    Now, every new app that you will install will automatically be moved to your sd ext partition.​

Link2sd is also an excellent (and fast loading) app manager, with which you can freeze, uninstall, re-install…though you can move only user apps to sd-ext partition.

Also, there is no point in having your entire phone memory empty, so you probably should unlink the dex (dalvik cache) of your apps. I usually link only the apk and lib files, and leave the dex files unlinked and on the phone storage, so as to avoid any sluggishness in operation., though if your phone memory still fills up, you can link the dex of your rarely-used apps, and leave the dex of important and frequently used apps on the phone storage.​

1. Suppose a custom rom has s2e/app2sd pre-implemented, then after a fresh install, FREEZE the app (rather than uninstall), and then install Link2sd...
    2. Also, if you get error "mount script not created", then choose partition as ext4 (rather than ext3 mentioned below), even though your partition might be ext3...(don't know why this happens with some roms :confused: )
    3. If on some ROM, you get “device/resource busy”, then you need to format your SD-EXT partition from CWM (should be under “mounts and storage”)
      [DO NOT confuse this with deleting and re-creating a partition]

8. Installing apk’s through root explorer method.

At times, some of your apk files won’t get installed in the normal way, so you can use this approach to install them. This method is coomonly referred to as "root explorer method".

For this, you will need:
    •A rooted phone
    Root Explorer or any other file manager.
    Since root explorer isn’t a free app, you can use this free File Manager (my personal preference).

If you are unable to uninstall a newer version of any app, then first uninstall the old version, and then use this method.
    Steps:
    • Get the apk file of the app that you want to install.
    • Now launch Root Explorer
    • On the top left side, it will be written as “Mount as r/w”, click that, and allow root access. (basically mount system as read and write, if you are using other file managers)
    • Now place the apk file at either /data/app or /system/app (if you want it as a system file)
    • Now set appropriate permissions (For /data/app, the default permissions are rwx rwx rwx and for /system/app, the default permissions are rw- r-- r--)
    • Reboot your phone, and then check your app drawer, you will find your app installed.
    12. Bootloops:

If you have flashed any custom rom/recovery/hack/kernel/update.zip, and unfortunately, have got stuck in a bootloop (i.e. you cannot reach the app launcher as the phone keeps rebooting again and again), then before asking for help, do try wiping data, cache, and dalvik cache from recovery mode...
    This should stop bootloops (in lots of cases)...​

Let's just say you need your warranty back for some reason...but have done any of the above stuff (which voids your warranty)...
    Then all you got to do is flash any stock rom (preferably, of your region), and you will have your warranty back ;)
    (This, ofcourse, assumes that you had warranty, in the first place)​

14. Battery care

A lot of people have said that their battery has swollen. If this is the case, then this could be dangerous for YOUR HEALTH.
    If this happens, you SHOULD replace your battery.​

Q) Why would the battery swell up?
    A) My phone's battery looks safe enough, so I do not know the perfect cause. But from the users who complained about this, I did notice that most of them just leave their phones plugged in, unattended, for more than 4-5 hours at end (Usually, they just leave it to charge overnight)

So, if you do this on a regular basis, then watch out!​

Q) How do I know if its swollen?
    A) To know if its swollen, just see if the battery surface is smooth or not, from all the sides. If there is any swelling, you will notice it.
    Also, if you get REALLY POOR battery life, (only 3-4 on single full charge, with light usage), then this could be an indication that you have battery problems. [Just to confirm, ask other fellow users how much usage they get on that rom and baseband, since this could happen due to ROM and kernel also.]​

Q) What do I do if it's swollen?
    A) There is no other option but to replace the battery with a new one. I STRONGLY ADVICE to buy them from your local Samsung Service Center. Avoid online sellers, or other 3rd party batteries, as they may not be proper.​

Q) Any precautions that can be taken?
    A) Yup, DO NOT LEAVE YOUR PHONE TO CHARGE FOR LONG PERIODS, ALL THE TIME.
    That's what has been deduced from the people who have complained.

Take Care!!​
    16. Logcats

A lot of time, you'll see developers asking for logcat. Viewing a logcat is usually the best, and in some cases, the only way to diagnose a problem.
    You can do it two ways:
    1. Within the device, through apps like aLogcat or Catlog or any other application that is capable of logging (This is self explanatory, all you got to do is download and run the app, and the app will do the work. Do check out the options to tweak out the settings and other stuff. I shall not be providing help for these in this thread.)
    2. With ADB (explained further)
    Thanks to the zip provided in the previous step, it’s really easy to do so via adb.
    Steps:
    • If you haven’t downloaded it already, do download the ADB & Logcat Tools.zip (it’s the same file mentioned above) and extract it to a suitable location.
    • You have two options now.
      You can either run adb as explained above and use the command
      Code:
      adb logcat >logcat.txt
      There will be no further activity on the screen, but the logging will start. Recreate the problem that you wanted, and when you need to stop the logcat, just press “Ctrl” + “C” [Hold Ctrl and press C], and then press “Y” and “Enter” key to stop logging.
      You will notice that a file named logcat.txt has appeared, and when you open the file in Notepad, you shall see its contents.
      Example:
      Code:
      D/VoldCmdListener(  891): volume shared /mnt/sdcard ums W/ActivityManager( 1019): Activity pause timeout for HistoryRecord{405690f0 com.whatsapp/.Conversation} 
      W/InputManagerService( 1019): Starting input on non-focused client com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@408a7808 (uid=10080 pid=18867) 
      W/InputManagerService( 1019): Window already focused, ignoring focus gain of: com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@407d78e0 
      W/InputManagerService( 1019): Window already focused, ignoring focus gain of: com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@40751610 
      D/StatusBarService( 1279): DISABLE_CLOCK: yes 
      D/StatusBarService( 1279): DISABLE_NAVIGATION: yes 
      W/ProcessStats( 1019): Skipping unknown process pid 26719 
      I/ActivityManager( 1019): Start proc mobi.mgeek.TunnyBrowser:DolphinNotification for service mobi.mgeek.TunnyBrowser/com.dolphin.browser.message.C2DMService: pid=26767 uid=10119 gids={3003, 1015, 1007} 
      I/ActivityManager( 1019): Process com.google.android.talk (pid 18915) has died. 
      I/ActivityManager( 1019): Process mobi.mgeek.TunnyBrowser:DolphinNotification (pid 26767) has died. 
      W/ProcessStats( 1019): Skipping unknown process pid 27439 
      I/TelephonyRegistry( 1019): notifyDataConnection: state=0 isDataConnectivityPossible=false reason=null interfaceName=null networkType=2 
      I/TelephonyRegistry( 1019): notifyDataConnection: state=1 isDataConnectivityPossible=true reason=null interfaceName=null networkType=2 
      I/ActivityManager( 1019): Start proc com.google.android.apps.uploader for broadcast com.google.android.apps.uploader/.ConnectivityBroadcastReceiver: pid=27556 uid=10005 gids={3003}
      Logcats get longer the longer they run. So it is advisable that you run the logcat and immediately proceed to recreate the problem.

Also, paste the resulting logcat on sites like Pastebin and share the link to the dev!​

Now, you must be wondering what the rest of the files in the Zip were for…
    Well, those files are pre-configured commands for logcats to run. All that has to be done is double click the .bat files, and logging shall start. To stop logging, as stated above, press CTRL+C, then Y and ENTER.
    Remember: Do delete/rename/move the output logcat file before creating a new logcat with the following files.
    Files:
    • Logcat 1 (Long and Detailed).bat : Normal Logcat command. Same result as the example given above.
    • Logcat 2 (Short and Errors only).bat : Shorter Logcat command. Omits out Verbose, Debug and Info. Displays/Filters only Warning, Error And Fatal. Useful when logcat duration is very long, as this displays only the error and fault messages. Example:
      Code:
      11-13 12:13:40.099  1019  1019 W InputManagerService: Window already focused, ignoring focus gain of: com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@4073a980
      11-13 12:20:34.359  1019  1360 W InputManagerService: Window already focused, ignoring focus gain of: com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@4052c3b8 
      11-13 12:22:31.069  1019  1045 W ActivityManager: Activity pause timeout for HistoryRecord{4085daf8 com.quoord.tapatalkxdapre.activity/.forum.ForumNavigationActivity} 
      11-13 12:23:42.009  1019  1402 W InputManagerService: Window already focused, ignoring focus gain of: com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@4068b790 
      11-13 12:28:36.779  1019 28921 W InputManagerService: Window already focused, ignoring focus gain of: com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@408d2f90 
      11-13 12:31:20.980  1019  1402 W InputManagerService: Window already focused, ignoring focus gain of: com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@40684258 
      11-13 12:58:05.899  1019  1057 W ProcessStats: Skipping unknown process pid 29887 
      11-13 13:06:11.630  1019  1045 W ActivityManager: Activity pause timeout for HistoryRecord{405d5100 com.android.phone/.InCallScreen} 
      11-13 13:06:14.400  1019 26640 W WindowManager: Animation repeat aborted after too many iterations 
      11-13 13:06:14.420  1019  1211 W WindowManager: Layout repeat skipped after too many iterations
      11-13 13:06:14.750  1019  1211 W WindowManager: Animation repeat aborted after too many iterations 
      11-13 13:06:21.069  1019  1045 W ActivityManager: Activity idle timeout for HistoryRecord{405d5100 com.android.phone/.InCallScreen} 
      11-13 13:17:41.240  1019 28924 W InputManagerService: Window already focused, ignoring focus gain of: com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@4084bdb8
      11-13 14:02:27.259  1019  1328 W InputManagerService: Window already focused, ignoring focus gain of: com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@4085bef0 
      11-13 14:06:00.389  1019  1330 W ActivityManager: Scheduling restart of crashed service com.whatsapp/.messaging.MessageService in 5000ms 
      11-13 14:06:03.459  1019 28922 W InputManagerService: Window already focused, ignoring focus gain of: com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@408d4728
      11-13 14:09:21.689  1019 21101 W InputManagerService: Window already focused, ignoring focus gain of: com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@405b05f0 
      11-13 14:09:23.329  1019  1330 W ActivityManager: Scheduling restart of crashed service com.jim2/.UpdateService in 5000ms 
      11-13 14:09:35.339  1019  1045 W ActivityManager: Launch timeout has expired, giving up wake lock! 
      11-13 14:09:35.399  1019  1057 W ActivityManager: Process ProcessRecord{406b4718 32036:com.imgurforandroid/10108} failed to attach 
      11-13 14:09:41.639  1019  1045 W ActivityManager: Activity pause timeout for HistoryRecord{4050c488 com.imgurforandroid/.activity.LaunchUploadUi} 
      11-13 14:09:41.679  1019  1034 W InputManagerService: Window already focused, ignoring focus gain of: com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@406d4f48 
      11-13 14:10:23.679  1019  1033 W InputManagerService: Window already focused, ignoring focus gain of: com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@40553d10 
      11-13 14:11:00.629  1019 28924 W ActivityManager: startActivity called from non-Activity context; forcing Intent.FLAG_ACTIVITY_NEW_TASK for: Intent { cmp=com.imgurforandroid/.activity.ImageDetails bnds=[0,138][240,189] (has extras) } 
      11-13 14:11:25.639  1019  1033 W InputManagerService: Window already focused, ignoring focus gain of: com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@406e0698 
      11-13 14:11:58.979  1019  1045 W ActivityManager: Activity pause timeout for HistoryRecord{408690f0 com.quoord.tapatalkxdapre.activity/.forum.ForumNavigationActivity} 
      11-13 14:12:26.129  1019  1360 W InputManagerService: Window already focused, ignoring focus gain of: com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@40666ef8 
      11-13 14:13:20.449  1019  1402 W InputManagerService: Window already focused, ignoring focus gain of: com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@406b0838 
      11-13 14:13:53.159  1019 28922 W ActivityManager: Duplicate finish request for HistoryRecord{407186d8 com.quoord.tapatalkxdapre.activity/.forum.ForumNavigationActivity} 
      11-13 14:36:20.180  1019  1034 W InputManagerService: Window already focused, ignoring focus gain of: com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@40649238 
      11-13 14:36:23.110  1019  1034 W ActivityManager: Scheduling restart of crashed service com.imgurforandroid/.ImgurUploadService in 5000ms 
      11-13 14:36:53.479  1019 26640 W InputManagerService: Starting input on non-focused client com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@408b4368 (uid=1001 pid=1304) 
      11-13 14:36:56.649  1019  1033 W BackupManagerService: dataChanged but no participant pkg='com.android.providers.settings' uid=10092 
      11-13 14:36:56.799  1019  1328 W BackupManagerService: dataChanged but no participant pkg='com.android.providers.settings' uid=10092 
      11-13 14:37:58.840  1019  1330 W InputManagerService: Window already focused, ignoring focus gain of: com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@4062e1d0 
      11-13 14:43:51.789   484   510 E ActivityThread: Failed to find provider info for com.opera.branding.BrandingProvider
    • Logcat 3 (Radio related only).bat : Displays only messages related to radio (telephony). Useful whenever your developer asks for a Radio logcat. Example:
      Code:
       D/RILJ    ( 1304): [1876]> QUERY_NETWORK_SELECTION_MODE 
      D/RILJ    ( 1304): Serial: 1875 
      D/RILJ    ( 1304): [1875]< REGISTRATION_STATE {1, 1777, 0000d72a} 
      D/RILJ    ( 1304): Serial: 1876 
      D/RILJ    ( 1304): [1876]< QUERY_NETWORK_SELECTION_MODE {0} 
      D/GSM     ( 1304): Poll ServiceState done:  oldSS=[0 home TATA DOCOMO TATA DOCOMO 405039  EDGE CSS not supported -1 -1RoamInd: -1DefRoamInd: -1EmergOnly: false] newSS=[0 home TATA DOCOMO TATA DOCOMO 405039  EDGE CSS not supported -1 -1RoamInd: -1DefRoamInd: -1EmergOnly: false] oldGprs=0 newGprs=0 oldType=EDGE newType=EDGE 
      D/RILJ    ( 1304): [1877]> SCREEN_STATE: false 
      D/RILJ    ( 1304): Serial: 1877 
      D/RILJ    ( 1304): [1877]< SCREEN_STATE  
      D/RILJ    ( 1304): [1878]> SCREEN_STATE: true 
      D/RILJ    ( 1304): [UNSL]< UNSOL_RESPONSE_NETWORK_STATE_CHANGED 
      D/RILJ    ( 1304): Serial: 1878 
      D/RILJ    ( 1304): [1878]< SCREEN_STATE  
      D/RILJ    ( 1304): [1879]> OPERATOR 
      D/RILJ    ( 1304): [1880]> GPRS_REGISTRATION_STATE 
      D/RILJ    ( 1304): [1881]> REGISTRATION_STATE 
      D/RILJ    ( 1304): Serial: 1879 
      D/RILJ    ( 1304): [1879]< OPERATOR {TATA DOCOMO, TATA DOCOMO, 405039} 
      D/RILJ    ( 1304): [1882]> QUERY_NETWORK_SELECTION_MODE
    • Dmesg.bat : Prints messages from the kernel, useful as tool for debugging drivers and other kernel code. Use this whenever the developer asks to get a dmesg output. Example:
      Code:
        # c027ce40 : [HSIL] mdp_suspend_sub(1387) will cancel_delayed_work 
      <4>[34607.196686] [HSIL] mdp_suspend_sub(1391) will flush_workqueue 
      <4>[34607.196731] [HSIL] mdp_suspend_sub(1395) will atomic_read 
      <4>[34607.196773] [HSIL] mdp_suspend_sub(1400) will mdp_pipe_ctrl 
      <4>[34607.196816] [HSIL] mdp_suspend_sub(1402) after mdp_pipe_ctrl 
      <6>[34607.196854]  # c03d7894 :  
      <6>[34607.196883]  # c03d7894 :  
      <6>[34607.196909]  # c03cb4a0 :  
      <6>[34607.196939] early_suspend: after calling suspend handlers 
      <6>[34607.205456] early_suspend: after calling sync_work_queue 
      <6>[34607.205508] early_suspend: abort label / before spin lock 
      <6>[34607.205564] early_suspend: unlocked main_wake_lock 
      <6>[34607.205599] early_suspend: end 
      <4>[34607.205636] [BACLKIGHT] : 17 
      <4>[34607.205668] Platform V:17, Find V:1 
      <4>[34607.205714] LCD Backlight re-init - wakeup time tune:1, lcd:32 
      <4>[34607.205926] [BACLKIGHT] : 15 
      <4>[34607.205956] Platform V:15, Find V:1

There you have it! Life made simpler, just double click and you are done!

Q) What’s the difference between Logcat and Dmesg?
    A) Read this for info.
    Hope this guide helped you. :)

I appreciate feedback and constructive criticism, but please, no “haters”/”trolls”.
    Whatever questions/doubts you have regarding this guide, then please post it here itself…I don’t guarantee replying tech support questions via pm :).
    Do consider clicking on the “thanks” button rather than just posting thanks, and also joining us on our Facebook Group :)