[GUIDE/DEV] Building AOSP 4.2 for the skyrocket

Search This thread

sk8erwitskil

Apr 11, 2010
San Jose
Im in the process of compiling android 4.2 for the skyrocket right now. i wanted to share the changes i needed to make to get it to keep compiling. i am not currently done with the compiling process right now but i have made a few changes that others can use to get them along the way as well. if you have any other changes i have not listed here PLEASE LET ME KNOW so i can add them to this google drive doc and always have it up to date. if there also is something you think should be in there PLEASE LET ME KNOW! i would like to collaborate with some people to get this built quick. we did an awesome job with jellybean and i have hope we can get this going quick.

Here is the google drive doc i have with the changes needed to get this compiling.
Google Drive Doc to build Android AOSP 4.2

if i come across any issues that i cannot solve i will be asking on this thread so please be checking back every once in a while if you are an experienced dev.

Last edited:

sk8erwitskil

Apr 11, 2010
San Jose
i got it to completely build without any errors. http://d-h.st/Dvo
it does not boot though. and i dont know why. im going to need some help on this one.
im guessing maybe it has something to do with the ramdisk

so i diff'd the init.rc of the skyrocket cm10 and the init.rc and of the stock nexus4 system image from the android website and theyre exactly the same. so im guessing its not the init.rc. i tried copying over adbd and init from the n4 ramdisk but it gets stuck at the samsung logo.

edit: ignore that. i was looking at the same file. lol. this is what comes from no sleep

Last edited:

gs2usr

Feb 18, 2012
Tri-Cities, WA
i got it to completely build without any errors. http://d-h.st/Dvo
it does not boot though. and i dont know why. im going to need some help on this one.
im guessing maybe it has something to do with the ramdisk

thanks for sharing your efforts, ill be downloading the source over night and tackling this in the morning, with this ill have a head start on it, appreciate sharing your work.

sk8erwitskil

Apr 11, 2010
San Jose
so i diff'd the init.rc of the skyrocket cm10 and the init.rc and of the stock nexus4 system image from the android website and theyre exactly the same. so im guessing its not the init.rc. i tried copying over adbd and init from the n4 ramdisk but it gets stuck at the samsung logo.

edit: ignore that. i was looking at the same file. lol. this is what comes from no sleep

the issue is most definitely in the ramdisk. im 99% sure. so if anyone with ramdisk knowledge wants to help it would be very appreciated. i only know a little bit about what it should look like. the BOOTCLASSPATH needs to be changed and some permissions have been changed in 4.2 but besides that im lost. the init.rc that it builds is completely wrong. i think we would be best off taking the cm10 one and editing it.

gs2usr

Feb 18, 2012
Tri-Cities, WA
the issue is most definitely in the ramdisk. im 99% sure. so if anyone with ramdisk knowledge wants to help it would be very appreciated. i only know a little bit about what it should look like. the BOOTCLASSPATH needs to be changed and some permissions have been changed in 4.2 but besides that im lost. the init.rc that it builds is completely wrong. i think we would be best off taking the cm10 one and editing it.

which kernel modules did you use? since you added the kernel during the build?

m4570d0n

Nov 20, 2011
Houston
OnePlus 6T
just going through the overlays you removed. In the msm8660 overlays, you could keep
Code:
  <string name="config_datause_iface">rmnet_sdio0</string>
as that is in the config.xml in AOSP, but is set to rmnet0 by default.

Also for the location provider, in AOSP, the default is:
Code:
    [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]<!-- Package name(s) containing location provider support.
These packages can contain services implementing location providers,
such as the Geocode Provider, Network Location Provider, and
Fused Location Provider. They will each be searched for
service components implementing these providers.
It is strongly recommended that the packages explicitly named
below are on the system image, so that they will not map to
a 3rd party application.
The location framework also has support for installation
of new location providers at run-time. The new package does not
have to be explicitly listed here, however it must have a signature
that matches the signature of at least one package on this list.
-->[/COLOR]
    <string-array name="config_locationProviderPackageNames" translatable="false">
        [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]<!-- The standard AOSP fused location provider -->[/COLOR]
        <item>com.android.location.fused</item>

but in CM10, it's this:
Code:
   [COLOR="RoyalBlue"] <!-- Component name of the service providing network location support. -->[/COLOR]
    <string name="config_networkLocationProvider">com.google.android.location.NetworkLocationProvider</string>

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"] <!-- Component name of the service providing geocoder API support. -->[/COLOR]
    <string name="config_geocodeProvider">com.google.android.location.GeocodeProvider</string>

Also, in the celox-common overlays for Phone, all of those configs are in AOSP, so I'm not sure why they would need to be removed.

Doubt that any of this matters in terms of you not being able to boot, but I just thought I would make a note.

Reactions: sk8erwitskil

sk8erwitskil

Apr 11, 2010
San Jose
the fix for the kernel being added is here:

ifeq ($(TARGET_PREBUILT_KERNEL),)
LOCAL_KERNEL := device/samsung/skyrocket/kernel
else
LOCAL_KERNEL := $(TARGET_PREBUILT_KERNEL)
endif

PRODUCT_COPY_FILES += \
$(LOCAL_KERNEL):kernel

add to device.mk

Reactions: gs2usr

sk8erwitskil

Apr 11, 2010
San Jose
Oh well, was worth a shot. Anyways should be added to the list, I probably wont be of much help until I have the source downloaded, but keep up the good work

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

i made some changes to device.mk to add the kernel to the out directory. hopefully it adds the modules as well. ill see once its done compiling again.

sk8erwitskil

Apr 11, 2010
San Jose
just going through the overlays you removed. In the msm8660 overlays, you could keep
Code:
  <string name="config_datause_iface">rmnet_sdio0</string>
as that is in the config.xml in AOSP, but is set to rmnet0 by default.

Also for the location provider, in AOSP, the default is:
Code:
    [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]<!-- Package name(s) containing location provider support.
These packages can contain services implementing location providers,
such as the Geocode Provider, Network Location Provider, and
Fused Location Provider. They will each be searched for
service components implementing these providers.
It is strongly recommended that the packages explicitly named
below are on the system image, so that they will not map to
a 3rd party application.
The location framework also has support for installation
of new location providers at run-time. The new package does not
have to be explicitly listed here, however it must have a signature
that matches the signature of at least one package on this list.
-->[/COLOR]
    <string-array name="config_locationProviderPackageNames" translatable="false">
        [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]<!-- The standard AOSP fused location provider -->[/COLOR]
        <item>com.android.location.fused</item>

but in CM10, it's this:
Code:
   [COLOR="RoyalBlue"] <!-- Component name of the service providing network location support. -->[/COLOR]
    <string name="config_networkLocationProvider">com.google.android.location.NetworkLocationProvider</string>

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"] <!-- Component name of the service providing geocoder API support. -->[/COLOR]
    <string name="config_geocodeProvider">com.google.android.location.GeocodeProvider</string>

Also, in the celox-common overlays for Phone, all of those configs are in AOSP, so I'm not sure why they would need to be removed.

Doubt that any of this matters in terms of you not being able to boot, but I just thought I would make a note.

Thanks I'll add that to the doc tomorrow

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: bacheezy

Bajanman

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 17, 2009
Los Angeles Ca.
Hopefully you get this up &running. But you should soon, having Gs2 helping you out. Can't wait till this is complete so I can check it out. :good:

sk8erwitskil

Apr 11, 2010
San Jose
im trying to get aosp to compile the kernel like cm does. i added build/core/tasks/kernel.mk but it gets stuck on
Code:
out/target/product/skyrocket/obj/KERNEL_OBJ does not exist

when i check that folder does exist. for some reason its not recognizing it.

sk8erwitskil

Apr 11, 2010
San Jose
im trying to get aosp to compile the kernel like cm does. i added build/core/tasks/kernel.mk but it gets stuck on
Code:
out/target/product/skyrocket/obj/KERNEL_OBJ does not exist

when i check that folder does exist. for some reason its not recognizing it.

if i just do that prebuilt kernel option then it doesnt add any modules. not sure how to fix that.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Im in the process of compiling android 4.2 for the skyrocket right now. i wanted to share the changes i needed to make to get it to keep compiling. i am not currently done with the compiling process right now but i have made a few changes that others can use to get them along the way as well. if you have any other changes i have not listed here PLEASE LET ME KNOW so i can add them to this google drive doc and always have it up to date. if there also is something you think should be in there PLEASE LET ME KNOW! i would like to collaborate with some people to get this built quick. we did an awesome job with jellybean and i have hope we can get this going quick.

Here is the google drive doc i have with the changes needed to get this compiling.
    Google Drive Doc to build Android AOSP 4.2

if i come across any issues that i cannot solve i will be asking on this thread so please be checking back every once in a while if you are an experienced dev.
    Update: CM10.1

See the conversation I had with mikeyman77 last night for an update. Good news in short Cyanogen will be working on the kernel.

Side Note: Guys lets stay on topic and treat each other with respect.

Quote Forrest Gump: And that's all I'm going to say about that.
    Code:
    <roger_n_home> TC's IRC is very quite you must be on to something and working on it am I right?
    <mikeyman77> no
    <mikeyman77> waiting on cy
    <mikeyman77> to fix the permission error in the kernel
    <roger_n_home> Well it sound like you have some sort of a root cause so that is good news.
    <mikeyman77> we can see what the issue is, it checks if the panel power is on and its saying its not
    <mikeyman77> so it sends a permission error
    <mikeyman77> but not sure why its not showing as on
    <roger_n_home> and thats causes the reboot?
    <mikeyman77> it thinks the lcd is suspoends
    <mikeyman77> suspended
    <mikeyman77> um
    <mikeyman77> not totally sure
    <mikeyman77> thats the prob, its so unstable
    <mikeyman77> its hard to debug anything
    <roger_n_home> well you guys are slowly chipping away at it thanks for the update.
    <mikeyman77> np
    Breaking News

Breaking News Alert

Guys stay tuned for some exciting news, I'm currently testing a build that appears to be very stable. So far no random reboots or display issues. Out of common courtesy I have asked teamchopsticks (topprospect) if I can post a link to a Alpha build for XDA members.

As soon so I get an ok I will provide a link, Cyanogen went on a rampage last night and pushed a bunch of commits. So everything looks good camera still FC, BT appears to be working and so does GPS. I'm still testing so check back soon.

EDIT: I just heard back from topprospect he is going to discuss it his team members and get back with me.

Roger:cool:
    CM 10.1 4.2.1 Update

Thanks guys I have enough volunteers now plus I was able to capture a few logs myself.

Hey guys the ball is starting to roll I may need 2 - 3 experienced tester that are very familiar using "adb" and are able to capture logcats/kmsg please PM me if you're interested. I'll pm volunteers a link when we need more logs. I'm at work and can't pull log ATM.

Latest from TC:

<topprospect> roger_n_home: roger_n_work: We need logcat's and kernel logs for crashes of focused test cases. Cyanogen was not aware of any crashes and it would help him if we provided ways for him to reproduce on his device.
    <topprospect> I'll try to gather some debug output from my phone. But if you can do the same, that would help.
    <topprospect> mikeyman77: FYI ^^^^
    PS: Camera is now working

Update: CM10.1

One step closer TeamChopSticks has 10.1 booting on the Skyrocket sort of if the device goes to sleep it won't wake up and there is an issue with the modem partition. I'll keep you guys posted they are getting very close. When you get a chance make sure to give the TC boys a shout out and a thank you.