Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,289 Members 36,385 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 7 with 4.2 - Bluetooth issues

Tip us?

MysteriousDiary
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Default Nexus 7 with 4.2 - Bluetooth issues

Can anyone with a N7 and 4.2 confirm my issue?

I'm using the N7 everday to stream music from TuneIn, Google Music and Spotify to stream to my Bluetooth speakers. I never had issues with Android 4.1, but since 4.2 it's stuttering every few seconds. Especially when the content gets streamed over wifi and is not stored on the N7. To go sure that it's not just my wifi I tried it with my GNex and 4.1 and there I don't have this issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to MysteriousDiary For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

robyr
Old
Thanks Meter 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteriousDiary View Post
Can anyone with a N7 and 4.2 confirm my issue?

I'm using the N7 everday to stream music from TuneIn, Google Music and Spotify to stream to my Bluetooth speakers. I never had issues with Android 4.1, but since 4.2 it's stuttering every few seconds. Especially when the content gets streamed over wifi and is not stored on the N7. To go sure that it's not just my wifi I tried it with my GNex and 4.1 and there I don't have this issue.
Yes, I believe all Nexus 7's will be affected, too. Check out this Google Code bugreport:

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=39633

I am highly disappointed in Google for this. This is a HUGE use-case for me, and it has essentially made my $150 headphones worthless, as well as essentially ruined my use of the Nexus 7 in public, as I cannot listen to music/videos at a public shop/location with the BT headset/headphones that I always have with me. Wired headphones? Ick.

MysteriousDiary
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Yes, I've created that issue in the bug tracker. Please star it if you've the same issue. I'm now thinking of going back to 4.1 since I used this feature daily.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MysteriousDiary For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

robyr
Old
Thanks Meter 83
Quote:
Yes, I've created that issue in the bug tracker. Please star it if you've the same issue. I'm now thinking of going back to 4.1 since I used this feature daily.
I did star it, haha. Small world, I suppose. Did you see this too: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=39632

Very similar to what happens on my N7 on the odd few seconds I have uninterrupted BT audio output. WTF does Google keep doing with their BT stack? This is ridiculous. It is affected BOTH of their flagship devices. I will all but guarantee that the N4 is affected too.

smurfster
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Well since the 4.2 update my nexus has become quite useless to me. I used to use the bluetooth tethering feature on my phone (which I pay for).
Since the update this feature no longer works

http://code.google.com/p/android/iss...&ts=1352902123

NicotineCanada
Old
Thanks Meter 4
just tried my bluetooth headset. crackling/studdering issues.

nexus 7, 32gb.

MysteriousDiary
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
I can confirm the bluetooth tethering issue as well. Sound is stuttering and tethering over bluetooth is impossible. So now we've two big bluetooth issues :/

mrchiggles
Old
Thanks Meter 7
I have the same issue. What's weird is that it's fine when playing through my creative bluetooth speakers in my kitchen but affects my philips fidelo bluetooth speakers in my bedroom!
The Following User Says Thank You to mrchiggles For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

roonster
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
I can confirm the bluetooth tethering issue as well. Sound is stuttering and tethering over bluetooth is impossible. So now we've two big bluetooth issues :/
Have you checked "connect to device for internet access"?
I'm having no issues tethering to my HTC desire since upgrading to 4.2, but I did notice that i have to check this box every time that I connect via Bluetooth now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to roonster For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

robyr
Old
Thanks Meter 83
I just tested BT tethering to my Galaxy Note, all is well there too. The audio problems are not acceptable, though. I am not happy at all.