No registration required

Android 4.2 - OTA/Information/Update/ETAs

OP the|gamer

15th November 2012, 08:40 AM   |  #491  
Thanks Meter: 46

85 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parmend

I'm not rooted and my when I go to install the ota I get the android with a red triangle . I don't get any messages . It looks like its installing and then the red triangle pops up and reboots back into 4.1.2

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Me too, same thing. Rooted but. Tried with wifes unrooted nexus, same thing. Any fixes?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
15th November 2012, 08:40 AM   |  #492  
Flag Paris, France
Thanks Meter: 3

62 posts
More
Hi,

I have a problem with my N7.
I can't boot to recovery.

That's to say i can not launch CWM, even with "recovery manager" that tells me cwm 6.0.1 is installed.
But more annoying, when 4.2 OTA arrived, i try to install it, butit did not work.

When it reboots, i have the "google" screen with the padlock, then a black screen for a couple of seconds (where CWM or OTA should proceed), and finally again the "google" screen with the padlock before booting the OS, still remaining in 4.1.2

Anyone has had this kind of issue ?
Any idea what to do ?
15th November 2012, 09:01 AM   |  #493  
Thanks Meter: 33

195 posts
More
Your recovery has been rolled back to stock. You need to load the CWM recovery once again. Or, if this will not work - flash the 3.34 bootloader and check the CWM again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
15th November 2012, 09:45 AM   |  #494  
Flag Paris, France
Thanks Meter: 3

62 posts
More
When i flash the bootloader, i will loose my data ? Is it like unlocking the bootloader or i will see no difference ?
15th November 2012, 03:56 PM   |  #495  
Flag NYC, USA
Thanks Meter: 775

1,436 posts
I am hoping someone here can answer this:
I have been reading a lot of threads related to 4.2 update. Some says that current ClockworkMod Recovery 6.0.1.0 is not compitable with 4.2, so they recommending to flash the stock recovery (did not see if they meant stock recovery from 4.1.2 or 4.2) and try to manually flash (or try OTA)

I start to think that my OTA fails because when OTA kicks in and asks me to install, I click install and then it boots in to my ClockworkMod Recovery 6.0.1.0, then it fails. I am just dead curious if I flash stock recovery, and go thru normal OTA process and see if it will work.

any idea?
15th November 2012, 04:14 PM   |  #496  
Flag Florida
Thanks Meter: 412

1,130 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzespresso

I am hoping someone here can answer this:
I have been reading a lot of threads related to 4.2 update. Some says that current ClockworkMod Recovery 6.0.1.0 is not compitable with 4.2, so they recommending to flash the stock recovery (did not see if they meant stock recovery from 4.1.2 or 4.2) and try to manually flash (or try OTA)

I start to think that my OTA fails because when OTA kicks in and asks me to install, I click install and then it boots in to my ClockworkMod Recovery 6.0.1.0, then it fails. I am just dead curious if I flash stock recovery, and go thru normal OTA process and see if it will work.

any idea?

A couple things.

First, there was an issue with custom recovery starting in 4.1.2. Versions of both CWM and TWRP, up until that point, would NOT work at all with the 4.1.2 bootloader. So many people had to revert to the 4.1.1 bootloader. However, since then, CWM and TWRP released newer versions that were compatible. Those compatible versions should still work with 4.2, but if you try an older version, it will probably have the same issue as 4.1.2.

Second, you will NOT be able to use the OTA update, through the system updater, unless your tablet is almost completely stock. While certain things like root or busybox are irrelevant, having a custom recovery, custom kernel, frozen/removed/modified system apks, modified build.prop, etc. will cause the auto updater to fail. You can however use that OTA update zip file in a custom recovery (manually), but again, all the other items need to be stock. The OTA update is a bunch of patches. Unlike the full image (which you can download now), which is significantly larger, the OTA update doesn't actually have all the new files, it has the information necessary to patch your current files to bring them up to the current version. In order for that patch to work, it needs to verify that they are the correct (4.1.2) version. This is a safety precaution, since patching a modified file would cause significant problems. As such, it verifies the SHA1 checksum of all the files it looks at, and if a single one is either missing or modified, it aborts.

So, assuming that you are only running a custom recovery (and maybe root and busybox), the OTA update should work manually. You can always give it a shot - if it aborts, it will tell you why. You can either find it in /cache if your system downloaded it already, or manually download it to sdcard. Then flash it like any other zip. If it works, great. If it aborts, you can either troubleshoot why (ie: replace the file it doesn't like) or download the full image and flash manually. For people with a lot of customization, the latter option is usually the quickest.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phonic For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th November 2012, 04:42 PM   |  #497  
Thanks Meter: 15

140 posts
My standby battery appears to be much improved on 4.2

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1352994125228.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	1484012

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app
15th November 2012, 04:48 PM   |  #498  
Flag NYC, USA

1,436 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonic

A couple things.

First, there was an issue with custom recovery starting in 4.1.2. Versions of both CWM and TWRP, up until that point, would NOT work at all with the 4.1.2 bootloader. So many people had to revert to the 4.1.1 bootloader. However, since then, CWM and TWRP released newer versions that were compatible. Those compatible versions should still work with 4.2, but if you try an older version, it will probably have the same issue as 4.1.2.

Second, you will NOT be able to use the OTA update, through the system updater, unless your tablet is almost completely stock. While certain things like root or busybox are irrelevant, having a custom recovery, custom kernel, frozen/removed/modified system apks, modified build.prop, etc. will cause the auto updater to fail. You can however use that OTA update zip file in a custom recovery (manually), but again, all the other items need to be stock. The OTA update is a bunch of patches. Unlike the full image (which you can download now), which is significantly larger, the OTA update doesn't actually have all the new files, it has the information necessary to patch your current files to bring them up to the current version. In order for that patch to work, it needs to verify that they are the correct (4.1.2) version. This is a safety precaution, since patching a modified file would cause significant problems. As such, it verifies the SHA1 checksum of all the files it looks at, and if a single one is either missing or modified, it aborts.

So, assuming that you are only running a custom recovery (and maybe root and busybox), the OTA update should work manually. You can always give it a shot - if it aborts, it will tell you why. You can either find it in /cache if your system downloaded it already, or manually download it to sdcard. Then flash it like any other zip. If it works, great. If it aborts, you can either troubleshoot why (ie: replace the file it doesn't like) or download the full image and flash manually. For people with a lot of customization, the latter option is usually the quickest.

First; THANK YOU!
when it goes thru the OTA update by itself and trying to install 4.2 update, it fails: assert failed apply_patch_check ("EMMC:/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/LNX:5013504:c48Fe86c73fb.....etc (did not write it down entire message). but says Status 7 at the end.
I never seen this error message before. I understand if it complains about System/app folder, which did not, but complain about EMMC:/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/LNX:5013504:c48Fe86c73fb..... no clue whatsoever..

EDIT: I went to cache folder, and saw last.log.dat file, I opened with text editor...it shows where it failed during OTA update, hope someone can ping point what the issue I am having.

last.log.dat
==========================================

tarting recovery on Wed Nov 14 16:49:19 2012
can't open /dev/tty0: No such file or directory
framebuffer: fd 3 (800 x 1280)
ClockworkMod Recovery v6.0.1.0
recovery filesystem table
=========================
0 /tmp ramdisk (null) (null) 0
1 /sdcard datamedia /dev/null (null) 0
2 /system ext4 /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/APP (null) 0
3 /cache ext4 /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/CAC (null) 0
4 /data ext4 /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/UDA (null) 0
5 /recovery emmc /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/SOS (null) 0
6 /boot emmc /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/LNX (null) 0

W:Unable to get recovery.fstab info for /datadata during fstab generation!
W:Unable to get recovery.fstab info for /emmc during fstab generation!
W:Unable to get recovery.fstab info for /sd-ext during fstab generation!
I:Completed outputting fstab.
I:Processing arguments.
I:Got arguments from /cache/recovery/command
I:Checking arguments.
I:device_recovery_start()
Command: "/sbin/recovery" "--update_package=/cache/094f6629314a.signed-nakasi-JOP40C-from-JZO54K.094f6629.zip"

ro.secure=1
ro.allow.mock.location=0
ro.debuggable=1
persist.sys.usb.config=adb
ro.build.id=IMM76L
ro.build.display.id=cm_grouper-userdebug 4.0.4 IMM76L eng.koush.20120721.115347 test-keys
ro.build.version.incremental=eng.koush.20120721.11 5347
ro.build.version.sdk=15
ro.build.version.codename=REL
ro.build.version.release=4.0.4
ro.build.date=Sat Jul 21 11:55:15 PDT 2012
ro.build.date.utc=0
ro.build.type=userdebug
ro.build.user=koush
ro.build.host=Koushik-Lion.local
ro.build.tags=test-keys
ro.product.model=grouper
ro.product.brand=asus
ro.product.name=cm_grouper
ro.product.device=grouper
ro.product.board=grouper
ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi
ro.product.manufacturer=asus
ro.product.locale.language=en
ro.product.locale.region=US
ro.wifi.channels=
ro.board.platform=unknown
ro.build.product=grouper
ro.build.description=cm_grouper-userdebug 4.0.4 IMM76L eng.koush.20120721.115347 test-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=asus/cm_grouper/grouper:4.0.4/IMM76L/eng.koush.20120721.115347:userdebug/test-keys
ro.build.characteristics=default
ro.cm.device=grouper
ro.rommanager.developerid=cyanogenmod
keyguard.no_require_sim=true
ro.url.legal=http://www.google.com/intl/%s/mobile/android/basic/phone-legal.html
ro.url.legal.android_privacy=http://www.google.com/intl/%s/mobile/android/basic/privacy.html
ro.com.google.clientidbase=android-google
ro.com.android.wifi-watchlist=GoogleGuest
ro.setupwizard.enterprise_mode=1
ro.com.android.dateformat=MM-dd-yyyy
ro.com.android.dataroaming=false
ro.cm.version=9-20120721-UNOFFICIAL-grouper
ro.modversion=9-20120721-UNOFFICIAL-grouper
ro.config.ringtone=CyanTone.ogg
ro.config.notification_sound=CyanMessage.ogg
ro.config.alarm_alert=CyanAlarm.ogg
ro.ril.hsxpa=1
ro.ril.gprsclass=10
ro.adb.qemud=1
dalvik.vm.lockprof.threshold=500
net.bt.name=Android
net.change=net.bt.name
dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file=/data/anr/traces.txt
ro.factorytest=0
ro.serialno=015d24a81b0c0c12
ro.bootmode=unknown
ro.baseband=unknown
ro.carrier=unknown
ro.bootloader=3.41
ro.hardware=grouper
ro.revision=0
ro.emmc=0
init.svc.recovery=running
service.adb.root=1
init.svc.adbd=running

Finding update package...
I:Update location: /cache/094f6629314a.signed-nakasi-JOP40C-from-JZO54K.094f6629.zip
Opening update package...
I:1 key(s) loaded from /res/keys
Verifying update package...
I:comment is 1604 bytes; signature 1586 bytes from end
E:failed to verify whole-file signature
I:verify_file returned 1
E:signature verification failed
Installing update...
Verifying current system...
contents of partition "/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/LNX" didn't match EMMC:/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/LNX:5013504:c48f8e86c73fb2c2ba1794f5ec98e27c9e206e d5:5060608:319331fae14fec8a88063751475fce26bae328e 0
file "EMMC:/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/LNX:5013504:c48f8e86c73fb2c2ba1794f5ec98e27c9e206e d5:5060608:319331fae14fec8a88063751475fce26bae328e 0" doesn't have any of expected sha1 sums; checking cache
failed to stat "/cache/saved.file": No such file or directory
failed to load cache file
script aborted: assert failed: apply_patch_check("EMMC:/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/LNX:5013504:c48f8e86c73fb2c2ba1794f5ec98e27c9e206e d5:5060608:319331fae14fec8a88063751475fce26bae328e 0")
assert failed: apply_patch_check("EMMC:/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/LNX:5013504:c48f8e86c73fb2c2ba1794f5ec98e27c9e206e d5:5060608:319331fae14fec8a88063751475fce26bae328e 0")
E:Error in /cache/094f6629314a.signed-nakasi-JOP40C-from-JZO54K.094f6629.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.
Last edited by jazzespresso; 15th November 2012 at 05:02 PM.
15th November 2012, 05:13 PM   |  #499  
Flag Florida
Thanks Meter: 412

1,130 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzespresso

First; THANK YOU!
when it goes thru the OTA update by itself and trying to install 4.2 update, it fails: assert failed apply_patch_check ("EMMC:/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/LNX:5013504:c48Fe86c73fb.....etc (did not write it down entire message). but says Status 7 at the end.
I never seen this error message before. I understand if it complains about System/app folder, which did not, but complain about EMMC:/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/LNX:5013504:c48Fe86c73fb..... no clue whatsoever..

Ok, what that means is that the 'boot' partition (ie: kernel) was modified or is not what it expected to see.

Did you install a custom kernel? Even that stock kernel with the modified ramdisk/init.d support would cause that abort issue.

On the bright side, according to the updater-script, that's the last thing it checks. Since you got that far, it indicates that everything else is kosher.

At this point, I would recommend flashing the stock 4.1.2 boot image. I'm not sure if there is a recovery flashable zip for this, but I assume there is. If not, or if you just want to do it with fastboot, you can download the full 4.1.2 image, open up the tgz, open up the .zip inside of it, put your tablet into bootloader mode and use fastboot to flash boot.img. Ie:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
using the boot.img inside of the 4.1.2 image.

That should restore the kernel/boot to stock, and you should then be able to proceed with the OTA patch update.

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 AM ----------

I just wanted to clarify that the only thing you should need to reflash with 4.1.2 stock is the kernel (boot). Leave everything else alone (system, userdata, recovery, etc.).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phonic For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th November 2012, 05:16 PM   |  #500  
Flag NYC, USA

1,436 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonic

Ok, what that means is that the 'boot' partition (ie: kernel) was modified or is not what it expected to see.

Did you install a custom kernel? Even that stock kernel with the modified ramdisk/init.d support would cause that abort issue.

On the bright side, according to the updater-script, that's the last thing it checks. Since you got that far, it indicates that everything else is kosher.

At this point, I would recommend flashing the stock 4.1.2 boot image. I'm not sure if there is a recovery flashable zip for this, but I assume there is. If not, or if you just want to do it with fastboot, you can download the full 4.1.2 image, open up the tgz, open up the .zip inside of it, put your tablet into bootloader mode and use fastboot to flash boot.img. Ie:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
using the boot.img inside of the 4.1.2 image.

That should restore the kernel/boot to stock, and you should then be able to proceed with the OTA patch update.

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 AM ----------

I just wanted to clarify that the only thing you should need to reflash with 4.1.2 stock is the kernel (boot). Leave everything else alone (system, userdata, recovery, etc.).

yeah..that's what I was thinking...I used Franco's kernel...but I thought I revert it back to stock, but does not look like.
I will try to fastboot stock boot.img and see it will work...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread