Post Reply

N7 JB 4.2 strange charging issue

OP dexterslab

15th November 2012, 12:22 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 4
 
119 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2010
My stock unrooted 16gb n7 received the 4.2 update this morning, all has been fine until this evening when it needed charge.

It often gets plugged into a htc phone charger, which has worked fine since i bought the tab a few months ago until today, its a 1amp charger so it takes ages to charge, but thats fine as it is plugged in until the morning normally.

So i plugin as normal, and come back after setting up google play music on my desktop pc, and i see the unit rebooting showing the glowing X. The screen goes blank and is unresponsive, eventually the google logo appears and it boots normally (its still plugged in btw), after unlocking the screen goes mental after maybe 5 seconds with random noise on it, then goes black.

So i unplug and use the genuine asus charger and cable, it does the same twice over, reboot, freeze, long wait then reboot.

I have now left it on charge using the asus charger and it seems to be ok now

Have google changed some charging requirements? Anyone else seen this?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to dexterslab For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th November 2012, 12:34 AM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 172
 
658 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
More
Not sure, but my nexus 7 on Android 4.2 charges like 35% slower than did with 4.1.2..... what the hell did they do??
The Following User Says Thank You to RusherDude For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th November 2012, 02:15 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 4
 
119 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2010
Funny you mention that, i might agree with you there

The N7 seems fine today, i did make a couple of videos of it misbehaving last night, watching back my circle battery widget app jumps from 16% to 0% battery just before it goes blank, indicating it might have simply run flat but thought it still had 16% battery?

Wonder if they have changed the battery meter scaling?

I think i will run it flat and check it shuts down properly like it used to

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
15th November 2012, 03:11 PM   |  #4  
Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
52 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterslab

Funny you mention that, i might agree with you there

The N7 seems fine today, i did make a couple of videos of it misbehaving last night, watching back my circle battery widget app jumps from 16% to 0% battery just before it goes blank, indicating it might have simply run flat but thought it still had 16% battery?

Wonder if they have changed the battery meter scaling?

I think i will run it flat and check it shuts down properly like it used to

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Hi dexterslab,

On a side note when you update to 4.2 were you already rooted and did you have superSU version0.98 installed? I have been reading other posts in this forum that folks have been rooted, superSU installed and the update has completely crashed their N7. ANy info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
JBIRD
The Following User Says Thank You to jbird92113 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th November 2012, 04:01 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 4
 
119 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2010
Its still as stock, locked and unrooted

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to dexterslab For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th November 2012, 04:11 PM   |  #6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2007
I've noticed slower charging since the 4.2 update too - did a quick Google search and landed here. Using the same genuine Asus charger and generic cable that I did before the update, and I would agree with the roughly 35% slower estimate.
The Following User Says Thank You to scubastevegk For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th November 2012, 05:01 PM   |  #7  
Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
52 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterslab

Its still as stock, locked and unrooted

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Thanks, did you do a factory reset prior to updating?
15th November 2012, 05:05 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 4
 
119 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2010
No, update received ota so just installed it

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
17th November 2012, 08:22 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 4
 
119 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2010
Been working and charging fine since, guess it was just a random glitch!?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
17th November 2012, 08:43 PM   |  #10  
Member
Thanks Meter: 19
 
81 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubastevegk

I've noticed slower charging since the 4.2 update too - did a quick Google search and landed here. Using the same genuine Asus charger and generic cable that I did before the update, and I would agree with the roughly 35% slower estimate.

Are you using the new Daydream feature (you can find it in the display settings). If yes this may be the cause of slower charging, because it doesn't turn of the display.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Nexus 7 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank