Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,925 Members 51,943 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Straight Talk SGS2- SGH-S959G

Tip us?

graphicw
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoAK View Post
This will remove root though won't it?
Yes it will remove root. It can be rooted again though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using xda app-developers app

r00t4rd3d
Old
(Last edited by r00t4rd3d; 15th November 2012 at 09:57 PM.)
Thanks Meter 167
graphicw any luck with the stock kernel? You think you will be able to get it done?

Edit:
Aww, I just flashed with the UCKH7 you linked too and now my wifi wont enable. It will turn on, scan for networks for a couple seconds then just turn back off. Any ideas?

Edit2:
Deleting cache and a factory reset got my wifi back.

graphicw
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Factory reset. I see you already figured it out though. Let me know how your mobile data performs on that rom.

---------- Post added at 12:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 AM ----------

Give me a few days on compiling the kernel from source. I hope that gets us a completely functional phone again.

r00t4rd3d
Old
(Last edited by r00t4rd3d; 16th November 2012 at 01:21 AM.)
Thanks Meter 167
I use my S2 as basically a mini tablet, I dont have a sim card in it. Wifi only

Ive read where the rom I linked to below is suppose to work on this phone, think I will try that later.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1969713

graphicw
Old
Thanks Meter 2
That rom wont work because there is not a way to flash the modem on this device yet. Only Gingerbread roms will work until we have a way to flash the correct modem. Not even the official SGH-i777 rom works on this device because there is no ability to flash the compatible modem binary.

Pirateghost
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6285

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicw View Post
That rom wont work because there is not a way to flash the modem on this device yet. Only Gingerbread roms will work until we have a way to flash the correct modem. Not even the official SGH-i777 rom works on this device because there is no ability to flash the compatible modem binary.

You don't need to flash a modem to flash a rom

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

graphicw
Old
Thanks Meter 2
You can flash the rom but try making a call with it after flashing with ics. Not going to happen. Even on the att gingerbread roms the modem does not work completely right.

Entropy512
Old
(Last edited by Entropy512; 16th November 2012 at 09:50 PM.)
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 24104

DONATE TO ME
My opinion, for the time being:

There should be a thread dedicated to determining exact differences between this new device and the I777. Based on current evidence, they are minimal enough that it may make sense to make this a combined forums for both SGH-I777 and SGS-S959G. Perhaps, this thread should be renamed.

BTW, **** you Samsung for making the SGS-S959G have almost identical numbering to the T-Mobile T959, which is a ****ing GALAXY S1-SERIES DEVICE.

ALL discussion related to this new device variant should be kept in the new thread until further notice, and nowhere else.

It is, I think, valid to keep the thread in the I777 forums based on what is now known.

Other things that need to be done:
Back up of ALL partitions for the S959G variant. Kernel, /system, recovery, etc.

FIRST:

ALL owners of this new variant, DO NOT do anything to your device until you have a complete return-to-stock solution.

FIRST ORDER OF BUSINESS:
Get Heimdall running.

Use the print-pit function of Heimdall to dump the partition info of the device. Put that info in the thread mentioned above. (Which might be this thread with a rename.)

Code:
Select Code
heimdall print-pit
when the device is in download mode.

WHAT WE CURRENTLY KNOW:
I777 kernels provide 90% functionality on the S959G. Only missing functionality is recovery.

When running an I777 custom kernel, nearly everything works EXCEPT that entering recovery results in 100% stock recovery behavior.

THIS IMPLIES to me that what we seem to have, is an I777, but which actually has sane recovery operation set up in its bootloader. As in, the "recovery" partition actually does something! DO NOT **** WITH THE RECOVERY PARTITION UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.

Also:
If you own an S959G, do NOT do ANYTHING with your device, EXCEPT for the Heimdall PIT dump listed above, ESPECIALLY if your device is 100% stock. It is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to have as many devices that are 100% stock for analysis until a full return-to-stock is available for this device. IF you get impatient, you will **** things up for yourself AND ALL OTHER USERS OF THIS DEVICE

OK, another thing. An owner of this device needs to post the information from the sticker under the battery EXACTLY with no modification.

For an SGH-I777 it is:
MODEL: SGH-I777
FCC ID: A3LSGHI777

I need ONE person, and ONLY ONE, to post this information, EXACTLY as it is on your device. (Someone earlier DID post this, but it appears to have typos, so I want it reposted to confirm.)

After ONE person posts this information, if anyone else posts it with a *post time later than ten minutes from the first one with this info*, I will flame you to a crisp for not paying attention.
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

IndigoAK
Old
Thanks Meter 51
[Samsung logo]
MODEL: SGH-S959G (GP)
GPSAS959GB
FCC ID: A3LSGHI777
[voltage rating]
TracFone Wireless, Inc.

Do you want the IMEI too?

Entropy512
Old
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 24104

DONATE TO ME
Also:

Unless someone can provide me a good justification otherwise, I am only going to help people who bought this device return to stock so they can return it.

I have NO idea why ANYONE would purchase this device:

SGH-S959G: $350 unsubsidized, running Gingerbread in November 2012, hardware that is 1.5 years old
Nexus 4: $350 unsubsidized, Android 4.2, newest hardware
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]