S Pen Only Works If You Hold It Upright

Search This thread

a_ok2me

Apr 17, 2008
Just sharing my thoughts, but I'm annoyed with the S Pen. The Note doesn't recognize it's being pressed by the S Pen when you hold the pen at an angle so that you can see the screen without your hand and the pen blocking it. This applies to writing or clicking on something. You have to hold the pen almost upright in order for the Note to recognize it. Airview works at any angle.

Last edited:

quarlow

Feb 6, 2008
Tooele, UT
I don't know if mine was just stiff, but it was like that at first too. After a few days it works at an angle just fine. It only registers a press if you press in the tip of the S-Pen. It will actually register a press if you press in the tip while hovering over the screen. I guess the screen doesn't feel the tip, which makes sense seeing it doesn't work on other phones. Once I figured out the tip had to press in, I had much better success with it. But, as I said, it seems to press in easier and work better after a few days.

Sent from my Note II

a_ok2me

Apr 17, 2008
I don't know if mine was just stiff, but it was like that at first too. After a few days it works at an angle just fine. It only registers a press if you press in the tip of the S-Pen. It will actually register a press if you press in the tip while hovering over the screen. I guess the screen doesn't feel the tip, which makes sense seeing it doesn't work on other phones. Once I figured out the tip had to press in, I had much better success with it. But, as I said, it seems to press in easier and work better after a few days.
That's correct; it works at an angle if you firmly press until the tip sinks. The problem is you have to press hard to get the tip to sink. Hard is relative, but it basically takes more physical effort to write than normal, which takes a lot away from the experience. It makes you annoyed rather than feeling relaxed.

quarlow

Feb 6, 2008
Tooele, UT
Could be at that point it's the pen itself and not the white tip touching the screen?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda premium

I agree. It works fine for me at any angle, with no more effort than when at 90 degrees to the screen. But, at about 45 degrees I start pressing the screen with the part that isn't the tip.

I did notice it was harder to use at first. How long have you had it? It took a few days of use for mine to loosen up.

Sent from my Note II

a_ok2me

Apr 17, 2008
Could be at that point it's the pen itself and not the white tip touching the screen?
It's definitely the tip. The tip has to sink in order for it to work. At vertical 90 degrees, it sinks. At 45 degrees, it sinks. 30 degrees, I really have to give it a push for the tip to sink. Now to think of it, I like to old Note pen better. It has a cushioned feel to it. It doesn't feel and sound like plastic on glass.

P1 Wookie

Jun 10, 2011
South Carolina
I agree. It works fine for me at any angle, with no more effort than when at 90 degrees to the screen. But, at about 45 degrees I start pressing the screen with the part that isn't the tip.

I did notice it was harder to use at first. How long have you had it? It took a few days of use for mine to loosen up.

Sent from my Note II

A week. Been working the same since day one. And from what I can tell, at 30 degrees, you probably have to push so hard because it contacts with the pen first. At least that's what I notice holding it at that angle when I look closely. Even the circle is on the screen like I'm hovering. Idk, I just know mine works fine for me.

quarlow

Feb 6, 2008
Tooele, UT
A week. Been working the same since day one. And from what I can tell, at 30 degrees, you probably have to push so hard because it contacts with the pen first. At least that's what I notice holding it at that angle when I look closely. Even the circle is on the screen like I'm hovering. Idk, I just know mine works fine for me.

Sorry, I meant how long has the OP had the device.

Mine does the air view too at any angle, even flat on the screen.

Sent from my Note II

a_ok2me

Apr 17, 2008
Sorry, I meant how long has the OP had the device.

Mine does the air view too at any angle, even flat on the screen.
This is my second one that I've had for a week. My first one I got on opening day, which was the same. I don't use the pen much. Air view works for me at any angle also. The problem is when you write and try to click on something.

Dmwitz

Dec 25, 2010
Umeå
I read somewhere that you should bang the tip onto a hard surface to soften it up. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS ACTION! I have not had a problem with mine at all, however if you feel yours is unresponsive carefully apply pressure to it against a hard surface such as a mirror. NOT YOUR SCREEN.
Good luck

Last edited: