[DRIVERS] Nexus 4 Driver for Windows

Search This thread

Chochiwpg

Feb 3, 2012
Winnipeg
When I plug my phone in it tries to automatically install drivers and it fails. Then when I go to device manager it has SAMSUNG Android Phone listed and under that says Nexus 4 with a Yellow exclamation mark.

If I go to the Nexus 4 device and Update Driver Software manually and browse to the folder where I saved the drivers from this thread it just keeps trying to install and either gets stuck and doesn't do anything or it fails.

Edit: What I did was uninstall the device from Device Manager, after that I plugged the phone back in again and it auto installed the drivers for me. I was able to unlock the bootloader and root without issue.

Last edited:

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
I am so confused, why is installing drivers so difficult?

When I plug my phone in it tries to automatically install drivers and it fails. Then when I go to device manager it has SAMSUNG Android Phone listed and under that says Nexus 4 with a Yellow exclamation mark.

If I go to the Nexus 4 device and Update Driver Software manually and browse to the folder where I saved the drivers from this thread it just keeps trying to install and either gets stuck and doesn't do anything or it fails.

What am I doing wrong?
You are doing something wrong.

You could always look at Google's site here. Notice the difference between "installing drivers for the first time", and "upgrading an existing driver". In your case, you need to follow the "upgrade an existing driver". Point it to the location where you downloaded the driver, either from the SDK, or or from this thread, or from 1wayjonny's driver here which works as well.

Chochiwpg

Feb 3, 2012
Winnipeg

You could always look at Google's site here. Notice the difference between "installing drivers for the first time", and "upgrading an existing driver". In your case, you need to follow the "upgrade an existing driver". Point it to the location where you downloaded the driver, either from the SDK, or or from this thread, or from 1wayjonny's driver here which works as well.

I ended up uninstalling the drivers from Device Manger, plugging the phone back in and the computer recognized the device and installed the drivers correctly. I was able to to run adb devices and my device was recognized through adb. I was also able to unlock the bootloader and root the device without issue afterward as well. Don't know why I didn't need to manually install the drivers, but all seems well now. Thanks.

countableSet

Jan 5, 2011
This isn't from LG's site. The drivers I provided are extracted from the Android SDK. The SDK downloads drivers for the Nexus 4 so it can be installed on your computer. I simply extracted those drivers and uploaded it so you can skip downloading the SDK.

Sorry about that, after re-reading the thread and now you've confirmed it; I didn't quite understand that it came from the Google USB Drivers from the SDK. Thanks for the clarification.

anonymous1

Oct 14, 2006
[Question/Help] Windows 7 not recognising Nexus 4...but XP is...odd

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions/can help me, please?

Tried both of the methods in the OP.

Plugged device via USB lead to Windows 7 desktop...device recognised as Nexus 4 or MTP USB device, but drivers fail to install with error message, 'device is unplugged', even when plugged in. Even if I try plugging in, in developer mode it goes into a continual loop of trying to install drivers, but failing and therefore no record of it in device manager where it continually appears and disappears.. If I go into bootloader and plug in, WIndows 7 recognises the bootloader state and installs correct drivers for it.

Deleted all the USB/registry keys to Android devices, tried again...still no luck.

Tried installing drivers from PDAnet drivers, Android toolkit and mskip's rooting toolkit (from xda-developers), as well, but still no luck. Uninstalled all Android drivers prior to trying each of these methods.

Funny thing is, with mskip's toolkit, installed drivers onto XP laptop and device recognised under MTP with no issues. Problem with both devices and the fact that they both work under XP suggests it isn't a problem with the device, but my Windows 7 desktop?

Kinda weird problem as never had any issues with Windows 7 not being able to find drivers before, and this is one of the latest devices there is. Tried LG website via the link for google OEM drivers site and no drivers for LG E960 available.

Annoying and time-wasting exercise, as having to transfer files via USB stick from desktop to laptop, then to Nexus 4.

If anyone knows whether I need a specific driver or has any other suggestions how to solve this problem, I'd really appreciate you posting your suggestions.

Thanks.

Stryder5

Mar 2, 2009
Texas
Plugged device via USB lead to Windows 7 desktop...device recognised as Nexus 4 or MTP USB device, but drivers fail to install with error message, 'device is unplugged', even when plugged in. Even if I try plugging in, in developer mode it goes into a continual loop of trying to install drivers, but failing and therefore no record of it in device manager where it continually appears and disappears.. If I go into bootloader and plug in, WIndows 7 recognises the bootloader state and installs correct drivers for it.

Are you using the cable that came with the phone? If not, try using it.

Also, when you uinstall the drivers, did you check the box that said to delete it as well?

lVlaciiiii

Oct 16, 2011
I'm having issues getting this to work too, which is weird, because I did it once for my girlfriend's Nexus 4, and it worked. Now, it won't work for me! I've tried using different computers and everything, still no luck. The drivers given in the OP seem to install fine, but then my Nexus 4 won't be detected by adb devices, or show up in My Computer! I don't know what to do! I've tried uninstalling them and reinstalling them a million times! When I uninstall it in Device Manager under Android Devices, I make sure to check the delete drivers text box, but then my computer goes and reinstalls the generic drivers right away. Even when I hit update drivers, it won't show up under adb. Any help? This is infuriating, since it worked once for me already!

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
I'm having issues getting this to work too, which is weird, because I did it once for my girlfriend's Nexus 4, and it worked. Now, it won't work for me! I've tried using different computers and everything, still no luck. The drivers given in the OP seem to install fine, but then my Nexus 4 won't be detected by adb devices, or show up in My Computer! I don't know what to do! I've tried uninstalling them and reinstalling them a million times! When I uninstall it in Device Manager under Android Devices, I make sure to check the delete drivers text box, but then my computer goes and reinstalls the generic drivers right away. Even when I hit update drivers, it won't show up under adb. Any help? This is infuriating, since it worked once for me already!

If the generic driver is installed, right click on it in device manager and select update, then select the option to install it manually ("let me select device from list" or whatever that option is called) and then select HAVE DISK <-- this is the important part. Then browse to the location of the drivers you extracted.

Reactions: Stryder5

Antebios

Apr 29, 2004
Houston, TX
I have a solution to people who install the drivers, but still cannot achieve ADB connection.

On your Android phone, change the USB computer connection from "Media Device (MTP)" to "Camera (PTP)". Now you can type "adb devices" and see your Android listed and carry out all the adb connection commands. After you're done, you can switch it back to Media Device.

Reactions: Jayracer7474

anonymous1

Oct 14, 2006
Are you using the cable that came with the phone? If not, try using it.

Also, when you uinstall the drivers, did you check the box that said to delete it as well?

Thanks for the reply. :)

Tried 3 different cables, including the one in the box and no difference. When the MTP device/Nexus device is listed in device manager (it keeps flashing up, then disconnects), I've tried to manually update the driver and the Windows message that pops up is ' Windows has determined that you have the latest driver'.

Looks like I'll be using my ancient laptop to use the latest smartphone! :confused:

Unless anyone has any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Stryder5

Mar 2, 2009
Texas
Thanks for the reply. :)

Tried 3 different cables, including the one in the box and no difference. When the MTP device/Nexus device is listed in device manager (it keeps flashing up, then disconnects), I've tried to manually update the driver and the Windows message that pops up is ' Windows has determined that you have the latest driver'.

Looks like I'll be using my ancient laptop to use the latest smartphone! :confused:

Unless anyone has any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Have you tried different USB ports on your computer? Having the device flash in and out indicates a bad connection somewhere. Since the phone works on a laptop, it might be your computer's USB port.

Also, if Windows determined that you have the latest drivers, then you need to follow the second set of instructions in my original post. Make sure to uninstall AND delete the drivers.

Jard16

Dec 7, 2012
Silver Spring, MD

Same issue. I can install the driver and my device shows up in Device Manager but not in My Computer. I have uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times.

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate and the cable that came with my N4.

Last edited:

amazoncom

Dec 13, 2012
Hi, thank you very much for providing the driver, but I have failed to make it work. I am running XP, and have followed your instructions closely. Upon plug in there is a prompt for me to install drivers. I selected your driver, and currently it shows Google Android Nexus 4 ADB Interface in my device manager. However, when I opened My Computer, there is no such drive for my Nexus 4. Are there any thing else that I should try at this stage?

Meanwhile, switching to PTP (Camera) on my Nexus 4 device showed a camera icon on my PC. Switching back to MTP yields no response.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you have windows, you will need these drivers to use ADB or Fastboot with your Nexus 4. The long method of getting this is downloading the SDK and running it. I have extracted the drivers and put it into a rar file for easy use.

Follow these steps if you haven't plugged your phone into your computer before.
    1. Download the file.
    2. Extra the files into a folder.
    3. Plug your phone in.
    4. When prompted, select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer", NOT "browse for driver software on your computer".
    5. Then you have to select "have disk" and then point to where you extracted the drivers (the usb_driver folder) to install the drivers.

If you already installed other drivers and they don't work for you. Download the drivers below and follow these steps:
    1. Enable USB Debugging on your phone.
    2. Plug your phone into your computer.
    3. Go to Device Manager on your computer and locate your device. It will either be under "Android Devices" or "Other Devices" depending whether drivers have been installed or not.
    4. Right click on your phone and select "Uninstall."
    5. In the box that appears, check the option to "Delete the driver software for this device" then proceed.
    6. When that is done, go back to Device Manager and refresh.
    7. Locate your phone and right click to select "Update Driver Software."
    8. When prompted, select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer", NOT "browse for driver software on your computer".
    9. Then you have to select "have disk" and then point to where you extracted the drivers (the usb_driver folder) to install the drivers.
    10. Unplug your phone and restart your computer.
    11. Plug it back in and everything should work.

Download link:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?8xb50uktar8096i

Thanks to efrant for clarifying exactly how to manually select your drivers.
    Have any other ADB drivers installed? Because then you need to uninstall those:

Go into command prompt and write:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
    start devmgmt.msc

Delete all devices including driver software in the "Android Device" section.

Then reinstall the Nexus 4 drivers.

If that still doesn't work, update the driver when connected with usb debugging on and manually add by rightclicking the device, click update driver software, then the "Browse my computer for driver software", then "Let me pick from a list..." then "Show all devices" and then Have disk.

Then you simply point to the driver and select the "Android ADB Interface" (Or something like that) it also has driver for bootloader and composite, bootloader is for fastboot, can't remember what composite is for, but you shouldn't use those.
    please help me! why can't install driver for my phone? i had followed your tutorial, but i failed at this step! (picture)
    (my phone is galaxy nexus and of cause the driver is for the galaxy nexus too)
    As I mentioned a few post above and other times in this short thread, you need to select the "let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer", NOT "browse for driver software on your computer". Then you have to select "have disk" and then point to where you extracted the drivers.
    I already have ADB up & running thru a minimal SDK install. I've been using it for my HTC device for 2 years now. Yet when I follow the directions in the OP I can never seem to get past Windows 7 REQUIRING me to reboot before installing the new supplied device drivers with ADB functions. When I DO reboot it tells me the drivers were improperly installed so I proceed. Then thru device manager I install the proper drivers BUT I can never get a better response from "adb devices" than the serial number but showing the device offline. I SEEM to be halfway there but even with debug running it won't find my new Nexus when trying the adb reboot bootloader command. What in the world am I overlooking? I'm no dummy....but I AM baffled about what I'm missing.

Are you checking the box that says delete existing drivers/software? Or are you just uninstalling? After you uninstall AND check the box to delete existing drivers, unplug the device, try rebooting, then plug it back in and see if that works.

It's important to check that box that confirms you are deleting drivers, and not just uninstalling them.
    I am so confused, why is installing drivers so difficult?

What am I doing wrong?