The thing that may kill the DNA for me...

Search This thread

adrynalyne

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2008
Its probably not what you think.

Battery is superb.
The screen, OMG its nice.
Phone is smooth as butter, despite heavy Sense.
Build quality is great.

However, so many games that I truly enjoy and have purchased do not work. The legacy menu button on so many apps eats screen real estate, and it is ridiculous.

I am aware that these aren't really the phone's fault entirely, but if the phone isn't a big seller, developers are going to drag their feet. That means we see fixes in months and in smartphone years, that's ancient.

So while I believe software will catch up, it will be later when 1080p becomes more mainstream. By that time, I am looking for another phone. So why do I want to suffer with incompatibilities?

Please don't tell me to sideload my stuff; I am getting incompatibility messages on launch as well.

As for the legacy menu, this is a two-fold problem.

1. Developers are lazy and not updating to Android standards like they should.
2. There is an abundance of false legacy menus.

The first issue needs to be fixed by app devs, period. The second one baffles me. I have a Galaxy Nexus. Not one of my apps has a legacy menu in it because if they did I wouldn't use it. Yet, my phone doesn't have a menu key either.

However, I am getting legacy menus, even in some games. What is worse, these menus don't work, or they replicate a clickable menu in the game. Why??? My Galaxy Nexus didn't have that issue. I can't even enjoy the screen to its full potential with legacy menus. I am aware I can mod this myself, but that isn't the point.

I know they are small nitpicks, but I think the screen in all its awesomeness might kill it for me as well with incompatibilities. I am not naive enough to believe that these will be cleared up any time soon.

Last edited:

broons

Dec 7, 2010
The little black bar on the bottom doesn't bother me at all. I barely notice it. Just another one of those "opinions will vary" things.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
The second one baffles me. I have a Galaxy Nexus. Not one of my apps has a legacy menu in it because if they did I wouldn't use it. Yet, my phone doesn't have a menu key either.

The fact that this exists is kind of odd. When the One X(s) launched they had the same set up and it was even more annoying having less screen real estate to work with. HTC fixed it in the 4.0.3>4.0.4 update a couple of months ago. Basically, the recent apps capacitive button became a toggle. You were given three options:

1) As-is; launch recent apps
2) Long-press=recent apps, short-press=settings
3) Long-press=settings; short-press=recent apps

Check out the Teg3 One X dev forum. You should be able to find a solution you can port there.

---------- Post added at 12:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

Here's what the menu looks like...

Reactions: atishpatel2012

adrynalyne

Dec 13, 2008
Ironically, HTC removed that option for the DNA.

It finally pushed me overboard. The app compatibility, that is. I returned the DNA. I got tired of playing Russian roulette with app purchases and wondering if I was going to run into a problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: geoff5093

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Ironically, HTC removed that option for the DNA.

It finally pushed me overboard. The app compatibility, that is. I returned the DNA.

VZW seems to enjoy butchering their devices from stock. There's a ton "enhancements" they made to the N2 that really don't make any sense. S-Planner is one of the coolest and most functional S-Pen enabled apps and they removed it and have Google Calendar set as the default. They also made the Wi-Fi notification toggle in to a Wi-Fi monitor so you have to go in to settings manually to turn Wi-Fi off and on. The N2 has a call and MMS blocking tool that they disabled also. Odd.

another581

Apr 29, 2012
I agree about the menu button; it would have been better if it only took a small screen estate on either corners at the bottom instead.

As for compatibility issue, I have not yet came across that problem...well probably because I do not play any games. I'm sure many apps will start to optimize for the 1080p resolution, now that we have it on the phone.

I have been using Samsung Fascinate ever since it came out...even with the minimal level of developer support before it boomed with tons of roms, I had no problem using it for all of my essential needs. People usually assume that outdated devices are incapable of handling most tasks, but I think a single core is enough to cover a smartphone's functionalities. I bought the DNA because its spec somewhat overkills the current smartphone standards to the extent where it will be enough for another three or five years.

Technology will only continue to advance without ever having a "Peak", so I wouldn't stress over playing the waiting game for the next new thing to come out. Well, that's just me of course

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
I'm sure many apps will start to optimize for the 1080p resolution, now that we have it on the phone.

Now that a 1080P phone has hit the market you can expect the spec wars to continue. The rumored SGS4 is supposed to have a 1080P display as well as an unannounced LG phone. People with the N10 are having the same issue. So it'll get resolved in time it's a matter of whether you're willing to wait.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Smartphones-1080p-Screen-Retina-Display-HD,18639.html

milan03

Feb 22, 2011
New York City
Now that a 1080P phone has hit the market you can expect the spec wars to continue. The rumored SGS4 is supposed to have a 1080P display as well as an unannounced LG phone. People with the N10 are having the same issue. So it'll get resolved in time it's a matter of whether you're willing to wait.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Smartphones-1080p-Screen-Retina-Display-HD,18639.html

The only issue is that those 1080p phones won't hit the mainstream market until April-May timeframe. This even further emphasizes the fact that DNA is the phone from the future... As an early adopter, I'm loving it!

cowisland

May 2, 2011
Sorry to hear you returned the phone, it was great having you in this forum. Enjoy your alternative phone choice!

I am also disappointed with game incompatibility, but keeping the DNA as I don't play that much. My son was upset about angry birds star wars turning up as a black screen though.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

adrynalyne

Dec 13, 2008
Sorry to hear you returned the phone, it was great having you in this forum. Enjoy your alternative phone choice!

I am also disappointed with game incompatibility, but keeping the DNA as I don't play that much. My son was upset about angry birds star wars turning up as a black screen though.

Thank you for the kind words. :)

I really hope the device takes off. It has a ton of untapped potential.

Reactions: typeriz

trebb

Mar 26, 2011
DC
I don't really game so I haven't come across any applications that don't work on this device. My two primary applications, however, are Facebook and Twitter...and the menu bar at the bottom is just a straight up pain in the ass. I don't understand why they couldn't either 1) add capacitive menu button or 2) do the menu buttons like the Galaxy S3/Note 2 etc. It just seems like an awful design decision to me, and I'm surprised more reviews didn't pick up on it.

It's things like this that lends to consumers thinking that Android lacks the 'polish' of iOS. I know it's not Android's fault by design, but the average consumer doesn't tend to care about AOSP vs. Sense, etc.

fernando sor

Inactive Recognized Themer
Sep 7, 2010
north of the wall
HTC completely changing sense on every update is baffling. They are so terrified of their market loss that it appears they have zero confidence.
And what happened to the button remap mod in 4.1? Gone.
I think this may be my last HTC phone if they don't get their **** together

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda premium

nkgangew

Jun 19, 2011
Thank you for the kind words. :)

I really hope the device takes off. It has a ton of untapped potential.

You are definitely one of the most refreshing people that post here. I hope to see you around from time to time ;)
Definitely admire your choice. I feel like the DNA is the better phone for me, but then again, I don't do any gaming. And the Note 2, with its screen size, S pen, memory and massive battery make it a good choice for you my friend. I wish I could own both.

Last edited:

Damented

Nov 29, 2008
Colorado Springs
sorry to hear you returned it. When I seen your name on these forums I was excited because I always loved your work. I understand though

Battery is superb.
Build quality is great.

However, so many games that I truly enjoy and have purchased do not work. The legacy menu button on so many apps eats screen real estate, and it is ridiculous.

I am aware that these aren't really the phone's fault entirely, but if the phone isn't a big seller, developers are going to drag their feet. That means we see fixes in months and in smartphone years, that's ancient.

So while I believe software will catch up, it will be later when 1080p becomes more mainstream. By that time, I am looking for another phone. So why do I want to suffer with incompatibilities?

Please don't tell me to sideload my stuff; I am getting incompatibility messages on launch as well.

The first issue needs to be fixed by app devs, period. The second one baffles me. I have a Galaxy Nexus. Not one of my apps has a legacy menu in it because if they did I wouldn't use it. Yet, my phone doesn't have a menu key either.

However, I am getting legacy menus, even in some games. What is worse, these menus don't work, or they replicate a clickable menu in the game. Why??? My Galaxy Nexus didn't have that issue. I can't even enjoy the screen to its full potential with legacy menus. I am aware I can mod this myself, but that isn't the point.

I know they are small nitpicks, but I think the screen in all its awesomeness might kill it for me as well with incompatibilities. I am not naive enough to believe that these will be cleared up any time soon.

nrfitchett4

Oct 12, 2009
San Antonio
You are definitely one of the most refreshing people that post here. I hope to see you around from time to time ;)
Definitely admire your choice. I feel like the DNA is the better phone for me, but then again, I don't do any gaming. And the Note 2, with its screen size, S pen, memory and massive battery make it a good choice for you my friend. I wish I could own both.

I think he's holding out for the next group of super phones.

latebeat

May 10, 2012

Battery is superb.
Build quality is great.

Wow, this post was spot on! I'm an android newbie and DNA is my fist phone without the menu button. So all this time I'm seeing these 3 dots at the bottom taking up precious real estate and I JUST signed up in this forum so that I could ask what is it and how to remove it. I'm glad I found this thread cause I've about reached the point where I'm ready to return this phone back!!

Let me ask you this, do you think it will better? Also in the end I didn't get it, is it the apps fault or is it HTC sense that's at fault for not letting us have a choice. Also one final question, are there any other mods that allow you to change the setting, making the recent apps button act like a settings buttion?
and lastly THANK you for sharing my frustration! At least I know I'm not alone or crazy for being so annoyed that I'm losing at least .3 of an inch. What's the point of advertizing that it's a 5" phone then?!

Last edited:

robertmoore208

Mar 30, 2011
Post Falls
this phone will get better with time .. it hasn't been out that long , nor has the unlock... The devs are starting to rip it apart , and then the fun starts
My HTC DNA

Last edited:

adrynalyne

Dec 13, 2008
Wow, this post was spot on! I'm an android newbie and DNA is my fist phone without the menu button. So all this time I'm seeing these 3 dots at the bottom taking up precious real estate and I JUST signed up in this forum so that I could ask what is it and how to remove it. I'm glad I found this thread cause I've about reached the point where I'm ready to return this phone back!!

Let me ask you this, do you think it will better? Also in the end I didn't get it, is it the apps fault or is it HTC sense that's at fault for not letting us have a choice. Also one final question, are there any other mods that allow you to change the setting, making the recent apps button act like a settings buttion?
and lastly THANK you for sharing my frustration! At least I know I'm not alone or crazy for being so annoyed that I'm losing at least .3 of an inch. What's the point of advertizing that it's a 5" phone then?!

Note: it can be fixed through root and mods. HTC may patch it as well eventually.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The only issue is that those 1080p phones won't hit the mainstream market until April-May timeframe. This even further emphasizes the fact that DNA is the phone from the future... As an early adopter, I'm loving it!

Battery is superb.
    Build quality is great.

how do you like the note 2 so far ADR??

Its nice. It is no DNA, but it is nice.

Pros
    Most of my apps work again, even ones that didn't on Gnex.
    Battery life
    Utility
    sd slot

Cons
    Too big
    Lower resolution screen
    Too big
    Audio isn't as good
    Mali-400 GPU vs. Adreno 320
    Too big
    Not as good reception (still better than Gnex)

You can't really go wrong with a DNA or Note II, but I definitely like the DNA better as a smartphone. I see the Note II as a tablet that makes calls. The S-Pen ended up how I expected, with it being a gimmicky feature.
    The second one baffles me. I have a Galaxy Nexus. Not one of my apps has a legacy menu in it because if they did I wouldn't use it. Yet, my phone doesn't have a menu key either.

The fact that this exists is kind of odd. When the One X(s) launched they had the same set up and it was even more annoying having less screen real estate to work with. HTC fixed it in the 4.0.3>4.0.4 update a couple of months ago. Basically, the recent apps capacitive button became a toggle. You were given three options:

1) As-is; launch recent apps
    2) Long-press=recent apps, short-press=settings
    3) Long-press=settings; short-press=recent apps

Check out the Teg3 One X dev forum. You should be able to find a solution you can port there.

---------- Post added at 12:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

Here's what the menu looks like...