CM10 Development for Kindle Fire HD 7"

Search This thread

reverendkjr

Nov 7, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
www.youtube.com
Greetings all...

You may be aware that verygreen is working on CM10 development for the 8.9" Kindle Fire HD. I am also working on getting this working on the Kindle Fire HD 7".

What works:

-Almost nothing so far. I can get past the bootloader and CWM will run (Thanks, verygreen!), but the CM10 ROM still needs to be developed further. I can flash it, and it appears to complete, but nothing comes up on the screen.

Trust me, this will be a slow process, but it IS BEING WORKED ON!

I will post any progress that I make.

::UPDATES::

[12/4] I now have screen working. :)
[12/5] Boots fully, but no touchscreen and the resolution appears to be wrong. (see image below.)

kfhd7cm10.jpg

[12/7] Touchscreen now works, but is off by 90 degrees.

[12/8] Basic functionality appears to be working now.
Wifi works, and screen and softkeys are all working now too.

Check out the video:

[12/10] 210 seems to be the magic DPI number for this device. Thanks to all of you who suggested that.

[12/18] Link to instructions on how to install revrom_alpha1:
http://www.reverendkyle.com/index.php/articles/177-how-to-install-cm10-alpha-on-kindle-fire-hd-7

Stay tuned...

Last edited:

fattire

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 11, 2010
www.eff.org
As green has noted, the nexus 7 is a far superior deal, better hardware for the $, and is inherently unlockable by the manufacturer.

(Just wanted to note that in this thread for anyone considering a 7" tablet purchase. Go with open systems. The fire hd boot loader is now unlockable, but the next hardware may not be so easy.)

reverendkjr

Nov 7, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
www.youtube.com
As green has noted, the nexus 7 is a far superior deal, better hardware for the $, and is inherently unlockable by the manufacturer.

(Just wanted to note that in this thread for anyone considering a 7" tablet purchase. Go with open systems. The fire hd boot loader is now unlockable, but the next hardware may not be so easy.)

I agree, the Nexus 7 is a better deal right now....

But once CM10 is running on the KFHD7, I bet it'll give the N7 a run for it's money. Plus, you know there are going to be a million people (exaggerated) who want to load up their KFHD7 with CM10, so someone has to make it happen.

Oh, and just so everyone knows.... I have a Nexus 7 too. :cool:

fattire

Oct 11, 2010
www.eff.org
Yeah don't get me wrong... I'm all for developing alternate oses for formerly locked devices, if only to demonstrate how futile and immoral (for lack of a better word-- dickish is another) it is to try to lock people out of their own devices. . but why buy them to begin with if there are better options?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: webyrd

jacewt

Mar 7, 2009
Los Angeles
Yeah don't get me wrong... I'm all for developing alternate oses for formerly locked devices, if only to demonstrate how futile and immoral (for lack of a better word-- dickish is another) it is to try to lock people out of their own devices. . but why buy them to begin with if there are better options?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Because people like having a choice. From everything I have seen and read, the physical quality of a nexus 7 left a lot to be desired. I like the speakers and screen on the kindle hd better. I am tied up to Amazon ecosystem. So many reasons. It's a sad world when people only want you to buy one thing. Competition is good for everyone. The original kindle fire is the entire reason the Nexus 7 came to be at that price.

craby1925

Nov 17, 2010
Not to mention, that no matter how many people you tell fattire, they aren't all going to go out and return their kfhd, and buy an N7. It would be like me going around the nexus 7 forum, and telling people that the kfhd has a way better screen and seems to be a better buy. When you post useless comments on these forums, it certainly isn't helping get anything done:these threads don't need to be arguments.

Sent from my Fire HD with root!

goochy

Mar 24, 2009
Very excited for this! If you need any support/testing let me know. I love CM10 on my phone.

fattire

Oct 11, 2010
www.eff.org
Not to mention, that no matter how many people you tell fattire, they aren't all going to go out and return their kfhd, and buy an N7. It would be like me going around the nexus 7 forum, and telling people that the kfhd has a way better screen and seems to be a better buy. When you post useless comments on these forums, it certainly isn't helping get anything done:these threads don't need to be arguments.

Sent from my Fire HD with root!

If it were true that the KFHD 7" were a better buy, then by all means anyone should say so in any forum. I'm not going to modulate my opinion because I'm in the KF HD forum. The facts are the facts. Although the build quality of the N7 is great, I wasn't talking about screen quality. I was focusing on something more fundamental-- the locked bootloader bug, which comes with every KFHD.

Without escalating this too much, I don't think our posts pointing to this bug are "useless"-- not everyone here has made a decision on what 7" device to buy yet. While the bootloader being unlocked comes very easy and quickly for you and seems to be taken for granted, poring over uboot code and finding and/or creating fixes is a lot of extra and IMO unnecessary work that could be better spent on other, more useful things.

I am tied up to Amazon ecosystem.

EXACTLY!

It's a sad world when people only want you to buy one thing.

That's precisely the problem with the locked bootloader. It's a power grab, an attempt to lock you into using only one OS, and buying only through one company. And so, without a bootloader fix, you're stuck with a single OS, without access to source code, as you are tied to their services more and more. You said "I like having a choice." Well, it's not a free system out of the box; it severely limits your choices, and that matters. As far as 7" prices go-- credit the KF all you like, but do remember the KF was an unlocked device. (Also, the 7" Nooks, ultra-cheap android tabs, and the Play Store deserve credit too, but I'll leave this for another discussion.)

Anyway, we've said our opinion. The readers can take it or ignore it.

Last edited:

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
Not to derail a thread for CM10 dev, but I thought I should weigh in so that fattire doesn't look like a complete a-hole.

I totally agree with his sentiment of "dev's cannot keep spending their time opening devices which are locked." Consumers need to understand this isn't a "given". Finding exploitable code takes weeks by a dedicated dev who does it for free. And is only getting harder. There will be a time in the not so distant future where locked bootloaders will be perfected. The only way we can tell vendors that this is wrong is by not buying their products. (However futile this may be -- see my reasoning near the end)

I also disagree on a few minor points which are more specific to the how/why we end up with these devices and the economics of ecosystems.

* We get these devices as gifts. And for various reasons we don't really want / can't return them.
* We end up with less than usable devices when we move into areas that aren't as desirable (IE: international use of Kindle's can be tough in Amazon's ecosystem)

Which makes for users wanting to install a new OS like CM10 or another variation of AOSP.

Amazon makes money on the ecosystem usage. Not from the tablet sale. So just the act of buying it isn't going to score a huge payoff for Amazon. It's more to do when you buy the books, movies and apps from their stores. If everyone bought a KFireHD and then unlocked and put CM10 on it. I think the message to Amazon would be: your ecosystem needs work.

Lastly, consider the # of users who have modded their 1st gen KFire's with a new OS. Now take that # (I'd guess it's in the 40k range) and match it up with the millions who bought them. From a practical stand point that kills the "Don't buy their products until they unlock them" argument. But it's still the right thing to do if you are the kind of user who wants to change their OS. Don't buy a locked device and then hope to be rescued later by a dev.

Perhaps we can sort of agree to disagree on some things, and let this thread continue.

EDIT: Grats ReverendKJR :)

fattire

Oct 11, 2010
www.eff.org
I think hashcode said it very well. I know a lot of dev types who refuse to contribute at all to locked devices on principal or because it's a hassle... But I (obviously I hope) think these broken devices *should* be fixed and alternative oses made available lest it appear locking bootloaders are an appropriate or successful strategy (ie , capturing and locking in customers vs. keeping their business on the merits)... Although there are security/privacy/performance/compatibility factors too) My earlier comments and i think greens too were directed to those considering a new 7" purchase.

Nice work, rev.

Last edited:

dalingrin

Nov 6, 2007
Because people like having a choice. From everything I have seen and read, the physical quality of a nexus 7 left a lot to be desired. I like the speakers and screen on the kindle hd better. I am tied up to Amazon ecosystem. So many reasons. It's a sad world when people only want you to buy one thing. Competition is good for everyone. The original kindle fire is the entire reason the Nexus 7 came to be at that price.

I suppose it comes down to priorities, but for many users here an unlocked bootloader is important. The suggestion that folks buy the Nexus 7 isn't contradictory to competition. In fact, the suggestion to buy the Nexus 7 is an exercise of buying from the competition, in part, to voice an opinion that unlocked bootloaders are important.

Locking the bootloader must have a negative financial impact on a company in order for them to leave their devices open.

For me, the trend of locked bootloaders and losing device control goes beyond simply impeding my recreation. Its a matter of security and getting my monies worth from a device.

Keep in mind the people in this thread suggesting to buy an open device are the very same people that are responsible for spending their time and money to unlock the closed devices. This should, at least in some way, give their opinions some weight.

dmroeder

Oct 14, 2012
Portland, OR
Okay, it boots. Touchscreen not working, and resolution appears to be off.

I'll add this to the OP as well.

kfhd7cm10.jpg

Nice work so far. I agree somewhat with what others regarding purchasing locked devices however I think there is something attractive about tinkering with something that a manufacturer told you they don't want you tinkering with.

That being said, I won one in a drawing and it should arrive this week or early next. I might be willing to do some testing if you need it at some point. Let me know what I can do to help.

craby1925

Nov 17, 2010
Great progress, so I believe we can agree to drop the subject with no further discussion? Very good than.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Greetings all...

You may be aware that verygreen is working on CM10 development for the 8.9" Kindle Fire HD. I am also working on getting this working on the Kindle Fire HD 7".

What works:

-Almost nothing so far. I can get past the bootloader and CWM will run (Thanks, verygreen!), but the CM10 ROM still needs to be developed further. I can flash it, and it appears to complete, but nothing comes up on the screen.

Trust me, this will be a slow process, but it IS BEING WORKED ON!

I will post any progress that I make.

::UPDATES::

[12/4] I now have screen working. :)
    [12/5] Boots fully, but no touchscreen and the resolution appears to be wrong. (see image below.)

kfhd7cm10.jpg

[12/7] Touchscreen now works, but is off by 90 degrees.

[12/8] Basic functionality appears to be working now.
    Wifi works, and screen and softkeys are all working now too.

Check out the video:

[12/10] 210 seems to be the magic DPI number for this device. Thanks to all of you who suggested that.

[12/18] Link to instructions on how to install revrom_alpha1:
    http://www.reverendkyle.com/index.php/articles/177-how-to-install-cm10-alpha-on-kindle-fire-hd-7

Stay tuned...
    Not to de-rail, this thread anymore, but a very nice XDA user has shipped me his KFireHD7. Specifically to finish the kernel updates which would bring the 7 up to speed with the 8.9.

I am still quite busy but at least it's just a matter of time now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    I know it's taking a while for me to get a 7" HD build done; sorry for the loooong delay.

I'm fighting 1 kernel bug with display, and once that's fixed you guys will be caught up to the HD 8.9" cm10.1 build.

Which is now very usable with sound.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    I'm going to post my stuff within the next day or two.
    Please don't fret folks, there will be progress.

Hashcode has helped me get his CM10.1 2nd-bootloader incorporated into my current ROM, plus there are others who are working on the kernel.

Be on the lookout for a new video from me.... soon ™.