Rooting Xperia Mini/Mini pro/Active/Walkman on Firmware .62 and ICS 4.0.4

Search This thread

florante

Sep 20, 2012
I just want to ask if i can possibly do this to my 5 months old xperia mini with build number 4.0.2.A.0.62?

Thank you in advance.. im so noob and afraid that i may fail the process..

mihahn

May 26, 2012
I just want to ask if i can possibly do this to my 5 months old xperia mini with build number 4.0.2.A.0.62?

Thank you in advance.. im so noob and afraid that i may fail the process..

Of course, just do it like he explained or look in my signature, there's the same method, but with screenshots and how to update again for each firmware :)

florante

Sep 20, 2012
Of course, just do it like he explained or look in my signature, there's the same method, but with screenshots and how to update again for each firmware :)

thanks mihahn, i'll will try this procedure and yours to tommorow after office as i may need more time to understand each and every step that is needed to be done carefully... I'll give an update and i hope XDA can help me as long i encounter a problem in the process. :fingers-crossed:

vulturext

Dec 5, 2012
Redmi Note 2
Asus Zenfone 5
how to upgrade to .62 firmware via flashtool?

i use this method, downgrade from .42 to .62 firmware on my xperia active.able to root then, no problem.but i'm unable to upgrade it back to .62 firmware build.PC companion shows update available, but only ICS update.where can i get tft file of .62 stock firmware for xperia active, so that i can flash it via flashtool?

mihahn

May 26, 2012
i use this method, downgrade from .42 to .62 firmware on my xperia active.able to root then, no problem.but i'm unable to upgrade it back to .62 firmware build.PC companion shows update available, but only ICS update.where can i get tft file of .62 stock firmware for xperia active, so that i can flash it via flashtool?

If you flash the ftf it won't work, just if you run local-prop first (from rooting ics .431 thread), flash the ftf without wiping data and run push-root-files.

This is more work, try connecting to your wlan network and search for the update over the air (just do it if your bootloader is locked). This is explained in the sticked rooting guide, too :good:

vulturext

Dec 5, 2012
Redmi Note 2
Asus Zenfone 5
i've figured it out!

If you flash the ftf it won't work, just if you run local-prop first (from rooting ics .431 thread), flash the ftf without wiping data and run push-root-files.

This is more work, try connecting to your wlan network and search for the update over the air (just do it if your bootloader is locked). This is explained in the sticked rooting guide, too :good:

thanks for replying.this is my first time messing with android.through reading all the post and google, somehow i've managed to find the tft file and root it.but what's concerning me is that, it becomes laggy sometimes.i got non responsive screen once, yesterday.the screen goes black, only the back,home,and menu button is lighted up.but after removing and remounting the battery, it booted up normally.is it normal?or was it because of Link2SD or my 16GB microSD memory?one more thing, somehow it's hard for me to receive mobile reception.

mihahn

May 26, 2012
thanks for replying.this is my first time messing with android.through reading all the post and google, somehow i've managed to find the tft file and root it.but what's concerning me is that, it becomes laggy sometimes.i got non responsive screen once, yesterday.the screen goes black, only the back,home,and menu button is lighted up.but after removing and remounting the battery, it booted up normally.is it normal?or was it because of Link2SD or my 16GB microSD memory?one more thing, somehow it's hard for me to receive mobile reception.

Maybe you have uninstalled a wrong app? If it's laggy, I would flash .42 back, root it and try an ota update again. It must appear!

Network could be because of the baseband, maybe you have to flash a later one ;)

Reactions: vulturext

vulturext

Dec 5, 2012
Redmi Note 2
Asus Zenfone 5
a noob question please?

Maybe you have uninstalled a wrong app? If it's laggy, I would flash .42 back, root it and try an ota update again. It must appear!

Network could be because of the baseband, maybe you have to flash a later one ;)

it's only been one full week since the first time i get to touch an android.what is exactly OTA (over-the -air) update method?is it by updating using th e update center on phone?i don't have any mobile data plan on phone, or wifi to use.the only way i know is by using flashtool and PC suite.but PC suite is showing the ICS update.i'm thinking of sticking to GB due to performance issue.and about the baseband, what effect can you get by changing it?is it different for every country?can i use flashtool to install it?

mihahn

May 26, 2012
it's only been one full week since the first time i get to touch an android.what is exactly OTA (over-the -air) update method?is it by updating using th e update center on phone?i don't have any mobile data plan on phone, or wifi to use.the only way i know is by using flashtool and PC suite.but PC suite is showing the ICS update.i'm thinking of sticking to GB due to performance issue.and about the baseband, what effect can you get by changing it?is it different for every country?can i use flashtool to install it?

OTA (Over-The-Air) is the update via wifi. Is there no public network you can use? Or for example you could start a hotspot on your pc -> update center -> search for updates and install them.

This will only work if you are on .42. Or you install clockworkmod recovery and you flash the .69 firmware zip. If you want to do that I can explain all the steps ;)

vulturext

Dec 5, 2012
Redmi Note 2
Asus Zenfone 5
thanks, i do want to know

OTA (Over-The-Air) is the update via wifi. Is there no public network you can use? Or for example you could start a hotspot on your pc -> update center -> search for updates and install them.

This will only work if you are on .42. Or you install clockworkmod recovery and you flash the .69 firmware zip. If you want to do that I can explain all the steps ;)

yes, please do tell me.im on .62 now and have updated to .66 baseband.i have downloaded the genericDE .69 tft file already, but is searching the forum for any unstable issue for using the .69 build on xperia active.i'm thinking of using the sparta v.2.2.0 ROM.but i might prioritize the stock one first before trying any custom build.i have one minor problem now, which is i can't view my contact.the list is there, but when i touch on name, the view doesn't come out.this is making the favourite contact widget is useless, since nothing happen when i choose any contact from the widget.is it because of the baseband .66 being combined with firmware build .62? sorry for long detail, i hope my english is able to be understand.i'm really new to android, but i can catch up.about the CWM, is it necessary to have it?

mihahn

May 26, 2012
yes, please do tell me.im on .62 now and have updated to .66 baseband.i have downloaded the genericDE .69 tft file already, but is searching the forum for any unstable issue for using the .69 build on xperia active.i'm thinking of using the sparta v.2.2.0 ROM.but i might prioritize the stock one first before trying any custom build.i have one minor problem now, which is i can't view my contact.the list is there, but when i touch on name, the view doesn't come out.this is making the favourite contact widget is useless, since nothing happen when i choose any contact from the widget.is it because of the baseband .66 being combined with firmware build .62? sorry for long detail, i hope my english is able to be understand.i'm really new to android, but i can catch up.about the CWM, is it necessary to have it?

Where did you get the .69 ftf? I meant the zip from someguyfromhell's sticked post, but if you have the ftf, run (from .431 rooting thread) the local-prop script, flash the .69 ftf (be sure you didn't check wipe data) and after the first reboot you run push-root-files. This should work ;)

vulturext

Dec 5, 2012
Redmi Note 2
Asus Zenfone 5
thanks, it works.

Where did you get the .69 ftf? I meant the zip from someguyfromhell's sticked post, but if you have the ftf, run (from .431 rooting thread) the local-prop script, flash the .69 ftf (be sure you didn't check wipe data) and after the first reboot you run push-root-files. This should work ;)

looks like i have to just follow the exact same step as in upgrading from .42 to .62.do i really need to run local-prop everytime upgrading my firmware?or i just need to run push-root only after flashing?and, can you please explain more on CWM?i seems to fail in installing it.as always, i'll give you my thanks for always being supportive.

mihahn

May 26, 2012
looks like i have to just follow the exact same step as in upgrading from .42 to .62.do i really need to run local-prop everytime upgrading my firmware?or i just need to run push-root only after flashing?and, can you please explain more on CWM?i seems to fail in installing it.as always, i'll give you my thanks for always being supportive.

Yes you have to run local-prop first to get the files where they should be. This is necessary if you upgrade with PC Companion.

If you use the ota function, you don't need to run local-prop and push-root-files!

What questions do you have about cwm? What fails, what are you trying to install? :)

Thanks for your thanks, but you only need to hit thanks if you want to say thanks to a post that is helpfull :silly:

Last edited:

vulturext

Dec 5, 2012
Redmi Note 2
Asus Zenfone 5
about the CWM

Yes you have to run local-prop first to get the files where they should be. This is necessary if you upgrade with PC Companion.

If you use the ota function, you don't need to run local-prop and push-root-files!

What questions do you have about cwm? What fails, what are you trying to install? :)

Thanks for your thanks, but you only need to hit thanks if you want to say thanks to a post that is helpfull :silly:

well, there is one thread that give CWM by copying files and giving 755 permision using root explorer.but the problem is, i get stuck on sony logo for a long time on my xperia active when trying to enter flash recovery mod.is there any way to install CWM easier?cause i wanna try some ROM.currently, i'm trying to install spartan ROM.

mihahn

May 26, 2012
well, there is one thread that give CWM by copying files and giving 755 permision using root explorer.but the problem is, i get stuck on sony logo for a long time on my xperia active when trying to enter flash recovery mod.is there any way to install CWM easier?cause i wanna try some ROM.currently, i'm trying to install spartan ROM.

Have you tried the xparts app? This should work :)

Btw: Spartan rom is for unlocked bootloader, you can only install roms for locked bootloader on locked bootloader :(

XanaRaquel

Jun 6, 2010
Hi all.
I have the firmware .62 and want to root it to remove those annoying pre-installed apps but have some questions.

1 - What exactly is a "Stock ROM"? I mean, I bought my Xperia Mini in the store, unlocked and not associated with any network. So the ROM I have (.62) is the same on any Mini found elsewhere (not messed around by any network)? I'm asking this because I'm afraid of downgrading to the .42 and losing the "language pack" and only have English or something. And some of the somewhat useful programs gone.

2 - When updating OTA back to .62, I'm assuming I will have a firmware exactly like I had previously, right? (same apps, "language pack" and such)

3 - Is it possible to "backup" the current firmware I have in case of the answer to question 2 is "no" and I want to return to the state the phone was previously before starting all this?

Thank you.

Last edited:

vulturext

Dec 5, 2012
Redmi Note 2
Asus Zenfone 5
use Flashtool

Hi all.
I have the firmware .62 and want to root it to remove those annoying pre-installed apps but have some questions.

1 - What exactly is a "Stock ROM"? I mean, I bought my Xperia Mini in the store, unlocked and not associated with any network. So the ROM I have (.62) is the same on any Mini found elsewhere (not messed around by any network)? I'm asking this because I'm afraid of downgrading to the .42 and losing the "language pack" and only have English or something. And some of the somewhat useful programs gone.

2 - When updating OTA back to .62, I'm assuming I will have a firmware exactly like I had previously, right? (same apps, "language pack" and such)

3 - Is it possible to "backup" the current firmware I have in case of the answer to question 2 is "no" and I want to return to the state the phone was previously before starting all this?

Thank you.

Stock ROM is basically the default-unmodified ROM.which is what you get from PC Suite or OTA.to root, you must downgrade to .42.you can use CWM to backup data but I can't get it to work either cause I'm still a noob(i'm using Xperia Active).for me, I have the APK version of my apps.I've downloaded all the ROM I need (.42 , .62 and .69 ).when downgrading, remember to untick the "wipe data" on flashtool and run "local-prop" from the Xperia-ROOT folder before flashing ROM for downgarding.then, i just reinstall the apps by using Flashtool.

Last edited:
Reactions: XanaRaquel

XanaRaquel

Jun 6, 2010
Thanks. I'll wait a few more days before trying it out because the phone is still on warranty. Better test everything carefully because I might lose the warranty after the root.

vulturext

Dec 5, 2012
Redmi Note 2
Asus Zenfone 5
Thanks. I'll wait a few more days before trying it out because the phone is still on warranty. Better test everything carefully because I might lose the warranty after the root.

I rooted my xperia active one week after i bought it.i've make sure every hardware is functioning correctly, then have no hesitation in meddling around with the software.i've encountered several problems (bootloop, phone wont start, ...) but as long as it's software problem, there's no need to worry.source solution is limitless, as long as you know how to search and google.but before trying anything, make sure you have all the needed ingredient in ur cooking.flashtool, xperia-root, ROM tft, easy rooting kit, etc...btw, happy trying.i'm just like you.hope i'm being helpful.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi Every1, in this tutorial am gonna show u all how to root firmware .62 on Xperia Mini ST15i.Update : Also other 2011 xperia
    Stock Firmwares (Incl ICS) (not my collection, thank that guy :) )
    Possible Result:
    1) U may lose all the data on your phone. (I have backups of everything so i dint not bother to wipe. But it is a good practice to hav backups before messing with your phone) UPDATE : Phone data is not lost
    2) Rooted xperia mini with .62 firmware.

Things you need:
    1) Doomlord's rooting kit(thank him for that). http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1321582
    2) Flashtool http://androxyde.github.com/Flashtool/
    3) .42 firmware ftf file http://www.4shared.com/file/ZdoKiVWJ/ST15i_402A042__1249-6227_.html?
    4) For rooting ics follow the other method posted below in weak wifi link.
    5) Some guts

Overview of the process:
    1) Downgrading your phone to .42 firmware.
    2) Utilizing zergrush exploit to root device.
    3) Upgrading to .62 firmware with root.

Seems simple isnt?

I would like to make clear that i do not take responsibility if anything should happen on your phone. This idea is not exactly mine and I would like thank fellow xda members for this knowledge.

Please follow the methods as it is or you may end with a brick.

Devices tested : Xperia mini(basic concpet is same "downgrading and upgrading", if any one have tested on their xperia say xperia mini pro for example please let knw).
    UPDATE : Xperia Active

The procedure:

Flashing 42 firmware:
    1) Download the ftf file from the link above. That is the .42 firmware file.
    2) Download and install flashtool and doomlord rooting kit.
    3) Now friends please make a backup of your data(contacts,messages, etc)
    4) Place the downloaded ftf file in %flashtooldirectory%/firmwares.
    5) Now open Flashtool.exe
    6) Drag the ftf file to flashtool window.
    7) A pop up window with options for flashing will be shown.
    8) Uncheck Wipe user data and wipe cache.
    ( I had an issue here, even though i uncheckd those i lost my data, but its good to give a shot here and if your phone retains data you are lucky)
    9) Make sure none of the EXCLUDE or checked.
    10) click ok, A pop up window will be telling you to connect your phone in flashmode.
    11) Check Unknown sources and debugging in your phone, switch off it. Press the vol down button and connect the usb cable.
    12) The flashing process will be done.
    13) Now Turn on your device. ( If your phone stops at the sony ericsson logo dont freak out that you have bricked your phone. This is normal)
    14) Now if you are able to get to your home screen pat yourself and tell good job!. :)
    15) Check firmware version in settings.

Rooting the Phone:
    1) Now check unknown sources and debugging in phone and connect it to pc.
    2) The drivers must automatically install.
    3) Now goto the directory where you extracted doomlord's rooting kit.
    4) Open runme.bat and press any key
    5) after few seconds your phone must restart.
    6) goto app drawer and make sure superuser app is there.
    7) to double check, download rootchecker from market and check.

Upgrading to firmware .62
    1) first i did not use my phone much, i just installed superuser and right away updated.
    2) this may be a factor since removing bloatware before updating could cause problems. But not sure.
    3) To update go to update centre app in phone.
    4) Check for update and update. :)
    5) After restart you should have Xperia MINI with root access!

Do not update via pc companion, perform Over-the-air update. Else phone could be bricked.
    UPDATE:
    For Users having weak wifi there is another method.. follow the Link

You are welcome to any suggestions so that anyone who is not clear can understand.

Screenshots :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81629148@N07/7535973454/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/81629148@N07/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81629148@N07/7535975230/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/81629148@N07/

Capture by http://www.flickr.com/people/81629148@N07/
    Wrong section.

Sent from my Xperia Live using xda premium.
    Yes... there is a method..
    Now am on my mobile.. will post the link later...

Sent from my ST15i

Okay, I'll wait for that!
    i have updated the tutorial.. have a look..
    Post if any doubts, i ll be happy to help.. :)

Thanks for the updated tutorial! Umm, do you have an estimate how long this will last? I mean the whole process from instruction 1 to 3?

EDIT:
    Oh wow, this went absolutely flawlessly. This is my first time rooting and following the instructions carefully got me through without any problem whatsoever. I just finished updating to installing the .62 firmware update and am now at the boot up screen waiting for it to finish loading.

I can't believe I've been putting off rooting this for quite some time now just because I was thinking it was hard. xD
    This tutorial worked perfectly and saved the life of my Xperia Mini ST15i.

I had a minor issue with OTA upgrade - it only worked when I inserted a SIM card - but other than that it worked flawlessly. Thanks!