4.1 Update fails

Search This thread

Tyler2265

Dec 6, 2012
When I tried to install the update on my phone it reboots into recovery mode and starts installing but suddenly stops and gives me a red caution sign... then it reboots and tells me the update failed........... any ideas?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using xda app-developers app

jeddster2013

Dec 6, 2010
Nebraska
This happened to me a couple of times.

After I made sure I was un rooted I thought it would be fine but after it still wouldn't work and checked that I still had a non-functioning version of safestrap installed.

So make sure you're un rooted and don't have anything left hanging like I did with the safestrap.

If you're on complete stock or you get there and it's still not working, I don't know what to tell you. In Recovery you can hit the two volume buttons at once to view the log while it's installing. Maybe try installing it again and watching that log to see the point where it fails.
Hope I could help.
Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Tyler2265

Dec 6, 2012
Ok I'll try that and report back what I find out thanks

Tyler2265

Dec 6, 2012
Ok so here's what happened

Verifying update
Installing update
Verifying system
Assert failed: apply_patch_check (/system/app/ChromeSystemBrowser.APK
E:Error in /cache/Blur_version.0.7.2.XT926.Verizon.en.US.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted

I decided I would try it again just for the heck of it and it did the same thing EXCEPT
E:Error in/tmp/sideload/package.zip

Last edited:

Tyler2265

Dec 6, 2012
Also I did decide that I didn't like the verizon bookmarks on chrome so I uninstalled it and reinstalled from market.... that could be the error about chrome but not sure

Soupskin

Oct 2, 2007

After I made sure I was un rooted I thought it would be fine but after it still wouldn't work and checked that I still had a non-functioning version of safestrap installed.

So make sure you're un rooted and don't have anything left hanging like I did with the safestrap.

If you're on complete stock or you get there and it's still not working, I don't know what to tell you. In Recovery you can hit the two volume buttons at once to view the log while it's installing. Maybe try installing it again and watching that log to see the point where it fails.
Hope I could help.

That did the trick for me, thanks!

jeddster2013

Dec 6, 2010
Nebraska
Ok so here's what happened

Verifying update
Installing update
Verifying system
Assert failed: apply_patch_check (/system/app/ChromeSystemBrowser.APK
E:Error in /cache/Blur_version.0.7.2.XT926.Verizon.en.US.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted

I decided I would try it again just for the heck of it and it did the same thing EXCEPT
E:Error in/tmp/sideload/package.zip

Yeah, looks like it's definitely that Chrome you uninstalled. That's what the, " Assert failed: apply_patch_check (/system/app/ChromeSystemBrowser.APK" part indicates. You may be able to track down the original vzw chrome apk file and push it through adb. Otherwise I'd say you may have to just wipe data and start completely over. :/

Tyler2265

Dec 6, 2012
Wow that really sucks..... what if I used titanium and made it a system app... would it work then?

jeddster2013

Dec 6, 2010
Nebraska
Wow that really sucks..... what if I used titanium and made it a system app... would it work then?

I don't think that would work. Still not the same app. I planned on copying over my backup I made before going to JB. However, I performed another backup without thinking I might need the old one, so I'm pretty sure my backup of chrome won't work. Sorry!! :( I'd say just backup everything in titanium, unroot (make sure it's with Voodoo Root Keeper), factory reset, update to JB, reroot (again, Voodoo Root Keeper) then restore from titanium. It's the best advice I've got for ya.
Best of luck!!!

Reactions: Tyler2265

DertyDOH

Dec 30, 2010
probably easiest to just use the utility and go back total stock, start fresh, thats what I had to do once

OutdoorOBW

Feb 24, 2011
probably easiest to just use the utility and go back total stock, start fresh, thats what I had to do once

This is what I had to do. All I did was freeze bloatware and then thaw it and I still couldn't get it to work. Used the utility and did the ICS update, root and protect root then update to JB. Sucks having to set your phone up all over again.

Tyler2265

Dec 6, 2012
Yea it does suck but if you know what the different options meen in titanium backup you wouldn't have to set it all the way back up

OutdoorOBW

Feb 24, 2011
Yea it does suck but if you know what the different options meen in titanium backup you wouldn't have to set it all the way back up

The different options in TiBU won't help if you wipe your phone before the update and don't upload it to drop box or your computer first (as I forgot to). Plus its always better to start clean with a major update like this.

Tyler2265

Dec 6, 2012
Well that's wy there's a SD card port on the side of your phone..... I can't figure out wy they have the system set up like that it should be configured just to delete the system not all your files....

Tyler2265

Dec 6, 2012
Thanks a lot guys I finally got it updated and its ALOT FASTER!! ... thanks for the help I really appreciate it...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hope I could help.

I don't think that would work. Still not the same app. I planned on copying over my backup I made before going to JB. However, I performed another backup without thinking I might need the old one, so I'm pretty sure my backup of chrome won't work. Sorry!! :( I'd say just backup everything in titanium, unroot (make sure it's with Voodoo Root Keeper), factory reset, update to JB, reroot (again, Voodoo Root Keeper) then restore from titanium. It's the best advice I've got for ya.
    Best of luck!!!