Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,495 Members 37,553 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is Windows 8 & This Phone a Nightmare? File Sync Copy? Driver Update Fails

Tip us?

jazee
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default Is Windows 8 & This Phone a Nightmare? File Sync Copy? Driver Update Fails

Stock ROM. JB 4.1.1. Rooted. Windows 8 Pro 64-bit.

Had the phone 3 weeks. For the most part the external Sandisk 32GB SD card has worked fine. I use MediaMonkey to sync my music. However I noticed more than once that even though the phone and card show up in Windows Explorer there were occasions where I Windows Explorer would either crash (stop responding) or say it couldn't copy a file from the computer to the SD Card on the phone. I think I rebooted Win 8 or unplugged and plugged in the phone to get it to work.

Interestingly, if you install the latest drivers from the Samsung Site (which says Win 8 on the description), Windows Update will say after that it has a newer update. Why would Microsoft have an update newer than the Samsung site itself?

Anyway, the Update won't install. I tried all the tips I found Googling. I uninstalled the drivers and re-installed them from Samsung, uninstalled them and let Windows recognize the phone. Bla Bla bla.

Now here's the other thing. All of the sudden the phone is thinking the SD card has been removed and I have to restart or remove and reinsert the card. Also, my notebook didn't recognize the card when I put it in the adapter the card came with but when I put it in an older microSD adapter I had, Windows recognized it.

Seems to me maybe I've got a defective card. Copied thousands of files to it initially and played them, no problem. Is it common for some of these cards to just fail quickly? I guess maybe so as even though the card had like a 4.7 rating on Amazon, the negative ratings if I recalled were cards that failed within the first month of use.

Still doesn't explain why Windows 8 can't install the Samsung Update.

sd_N
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazee View Post
Stock ROM. JB 4.1.1. Rooted. Windows 8 Pro 64-bit.

Had the phone 3 weeks. For the most part the external Sandisk 32GB SD card has worked fine. I use MediaMonkey to sync my music. However I noticed more than once that even though the phone and card show up in Windows Explorer there were occasions where I Windows Explorer would either crash (stop responding) or say it couldn't copy a file from the computer to the SD Card on the phone. I think I rebooted Win 8 or unplugged and plugged in the phone to get it to work.

Interestingly, if you install the latest drivers from the Samsung Site (which says Win 8 on the description), Windows Update will say after that it has a newer update. Why would Microsoft have an update newer than the Samsung site itself?

Anyway, the Update won't install. I tried all the tips I found Googling. I uninstalled the drivers and re-installed them from Samsung, uninstalled them and let Windows recognize the phone. Bla Bla bla.

Now here's the other thing. All of the sudden the phone is thinking the SD card has been removed and I have to restart or remove and reinsert the card. Also, my notebook didn't recognize the card when I put it in the adapter the card came with but when I put it in an older microSD adapter I had, Windows recognized it.

Seems to me maybe I've got a defective card. Copied thousands of files to it initially and played them, no problem. Is it common for some of these cards to just fail quickly? I guess maybe so as even though the card had like a 4.7 rating on Amazon, the negative ratings if I recalled were cards that failed within the first month of use.

Still doesn't explain why Windows 8 can't install the Samsung Update.
I'm only replying because I just updated my win7 laptop to.windows 8 pro 64bit. I have everything installed with no problems. I have the Android SDK tools...Samsung Kies....Samsung drivers...Odin. It all works fine...recognizes my phone...sd card... and everything. I'm just giving you a heads up that it does work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
LG G3...
sd N

Thank u Devs!!!