Onda V711 Quick review and Modifications to make more "English"
I have been using an Onda V711 Tablet for a couple weeks now and have been working on fine tuning it to work properly.
I wanted to post a few modifications that I have done in order to get all of the bugs worked out.
1) Keyboard shows ALL english words as misspelled. -- Fix is to replace LatinIME.apk and add Latin imeDictionarypack.apk with an english version. Now the built in dictionary will work properly. Like all Onda tablets, the unit comes with a Chinese dictionary and even when you change the language the dictionary does not update.
2) No Contacts.apk app. I installed a default contacts.apk app and contactssync.apk app to fix this. The application would NOT show up in the app drawer nor as a widget however I was able to get it on my desktop by using the option under Shortcut "Activities" to select the option under contacts. You can also add the phone option to your desktop this way if you prefer to view "contacts" via the dialer It is also under the contacts activity.
3) Not all Google Apps were installed. I downloaded and installed the latest gapps pack. Not all are fully supported such as I have been unable to get facelock to work
4) Virgin Mobile broadband only SIM was not supported. I modified a new file called options and updated the mcli-gsm file along with updating the apns-confi.xml file for this purpose. Now I have full Virgin Broadband service using the E160E USB modem. It is fully supported with signal strength and data mode displayed.
5) Charging is pretty slow and I have been playing with the app called Fast Charge. It seems to help, and can be found on google play.
From an app standpoint I have found apex launcher along with A.I. type keyboard (only because of the typing shortcuts feature) I have found the usb Ethernet adapters are supported which is nice. I did not delete, but only disabled all of the Chinese apps.
I posted a zip file at the following link. http://d-h.st/drf
Remember when replacing files, always make a backup and ensure the file permissions are correct. If the file permissions are wrong it will NOT work. Just look at the old file to determine what the properties should be
The install readme text is listed below:
Using ES File explorer from play.google.com enable root explorer access, mout file system as writable, enable to root all enabelded. All Root settings are listed under ES explorer settings.
Before overwritting anyfile make a backup copy simply by changing the filename extension to .bak
copy apns-conf.xml to /system/etc/ set permissions to rw- r-- r--
copy LatinIME.apk to /system/app/ set permissions to rw- r-- r--
copy LatinImeDictionaryPack.apk to /system/app/ set permissions to rw- r-- r--
copy options to /system/etc/ppp/ set permissions to r-x r-x r-x
copy mcli-gsm to /system/etc/ppp/peers/ set permissions to r-x r-x r-x
For Gapps files
NOTE: to enable contacts on the launcher you must add a shortcut using the "activities" option as the contacts app will not otherwise be shown as a shortcut or in the app drawer.
copy ANY Gapp File desired to /system/app/ set permissions to rw- r-- r--
If this helped you feel free to PM me via this forum on how you can buy me a beer