Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[GUIDE] What to do if you get the UPDATE Notification (OTA) while rooted.

OP ThC23

9th June 2012, 05:16 AM   |  #31  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chochiwpg

Is the stock recovery from Telus T989D the same as T-Mobile T989?

Currently, I am just running the stock Telus ROM that came with my phone. However, I am rooted and I do have CWM Recovery installed as well so I can make backups or flash ROM's if I choose.

From my understanding, when the ICS update becomes available I can use ES file explorer to remove root by deleting both wssync apk's under /system/app. Then reboot.

I would also have to install the stock recovery on my phone. Where can I find the Telus stock recover or can I use T-Mobile version? Also, would I install the stock recovery with odin after I remove the wssync apk's to remove root or before?

Once the update has been downloaded and installed, what is the best way to re-root the device since it will now be on ICS? Thanks.

You shouldn't need to remove root to get the update. In the past on my Vibrant I needed to go back to the stock launcher to receive a OTA update, but on my Galaxy SII it prompted to me to install the maintenance update even with bloatware frozen in titanium pro and using Go Launcher EX. It removed my root once I updated, but I'm going to wait for ICS to re-root.
16th June 2012, 12:12 AM   |  #32  
Thanks Meter: 9

65 posts
So I just got done rooting my friends phone and putting the Juggernaut rom on it less than a week ago.. Now it looks like T-Mobile is rolling out ICS for GSII (I know because he is texting me asking if he should do the update)...

He said he downloaded it but did not install it yet, and it asks him if he wants to update it everyday.. He keeps saying no everyday..

Should I go through the same steps in this guide and delete the "wssyncmldm.apk" or will it keep asking since he already downloaded it? Just looking for some suggestions.
17th June 2012, 07:05 PM   |  #33  
Flag Westmont, IL

11 posts
More
I can't copy and paste
Can't copy and paste on Darkside Evolution v3, and can't post in that thread, so if someone can help me, please do so. Thanks
19th June 2012, 07:24 PM   |  #34  
Thanks Meter: 4

29 posts
More
helpful
i did the titanium backup freezing of the app. Worked great for me, no more notification!!

~B~
23rd June 2012, 09:53 PM   |  #35  

12 posts
nice!!!
27th June 2012, 07:28 AM   |  #36  
Thanks Meter: 170

857 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by icefire6933

i did the titanium backup freezing of the app. Worked great for me, no more notification!!

~B~

yeah worked great for me before too.
28th June 2012, 04:10 AM   |  #37  
Thanks Meter: 2

14 posts
Ya i tried to update while rooted. Didnt work so well.
2nd July 2012, 08:00 PM   |  #38  
Springfield
Thanks Meter: 25

246 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by icefire6933

~B~

what app did you freeze? TIA
6th July 2012, 01:58 AM   |  #39  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 8

86 posts
More
I grabbed the update from Kies - it's genuine ICS. If you go into Settings and then About Phone after the update, it reads that it is Android version 4.0.3. Plus there are new things that didn't come on the original 2.3.6, such as a very different Sammy app store (don't download from them - a lot of their apps contain embedded ads - the kind you have to opt out of or it'll show stars on your status bar) and the settings boards look very different, among other things.

Now - for the root part. I had the phone rooted before the changeover, but once that took place it was bye bye root. I used the same method I did for the initial root, only now you need to use a different version of the superuser.apk in order to make it work. The one you used for the pre-ICS update root WILL NOT WORK. It took me almost an hour and traversing quite a few places on the Web before finding the new superuser.apk for ICS, and unfortunately I don't remember where I got it from right now. All I remember is that I downloaded it onto my PC and copied it to the SD card, then flashed it on the phone. If I can find where I got it from I will definitely set up a link.
18th December 2012, 06:48 PM   |  #40  
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 5

23 posts
good stuff

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread