Wiimote on Android 4.2

Search This thread

vowywowy

Apr 13, 2011
Oshawa
I think I have found a way to connect a wiimote to 4.2 devices like the Nexus 10, but I need some help. In the Bluetooth menu off 4.2 you are able to find the wiimote and then it asks you for the PIN. Now here lies the problem: What is the PIN for the wiimote? Well I know a way to solve the PIN but I am not skilled enough to actually solve it. Allow me to elaborate below

1. Download the App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ccpcreations.android.bluetoothmacfinder it will allow to find the wiimotes MAC address. Mine is: 00:19:1D:C2:25:CF yours will be different.

THIS IS WHERE I NEED HELP! I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO ACTUALLY CALCULATE THE PIN! I AM NOT KNOWLEDGEABLE IN C AND HAVE NO CLUE WHAT THE OUTPUT OF THE CODE WILL BE!
2. Use this method to calculate the PIN of your Wiimote:
Lets assume my Wiimote is being used and has the bluetooth address "00:19:1D:C2:25:CF". If you want the PIN for bluetooth pairing in a simple string, do the following(This is 'C' code):

char pin[6];
pin[0] = 0x00;
pin[1] = 0x19;
pin[2] = 0x1D;
pin[3] = 0xC2;
pin[4] = 0x25;
pin[5] = 0xCF;

Now "pin" contains your bluetooth pin that should be used for pairing your devices.

I HAVE NOT MADE IT TO THIS STAGE YET AND WOULD LIKE TO TEST IT!
3. Press the the red 'sync' button on the back of the Wiimote and then search for devices on your android device. When the Wiimote shows up, tap on it and enter the PIN you received from the 'C' code earlier.
I only assume that this would connect the Wiimote as an ambient bluetooth device.

4. Now install Wiimote Controller App (THIS IS JUST FOR THE WIIMOTE IME SO THAT THE INPUTS ARE RECOGNIZED BY EMULATORS AND OTHER APPS): https://play.google.com/store/apps/...BjcmVhdGlvbnMuYW5kcm9pZC5XaWlVc2VBbmRyb2lkIl0

5. Now you can use the Wiimote as you did before on your pre-4.2 devices :)

***NOTE: THIS IS NOT GUARANTEED TO WORK! AS STATED EARLIER I NEED HELP DECIPHERING THE WIIMOTE'S PIN!

ansysic

Nov 12, 2009
Germany
Are you sure, that this function creates the PIN for the Wiimote? Haven't found a source for this, but would be interested just 4 fun.

Edit: found something but doesn't work for me: http://forum.wiibrew.org/read.php?11,6850

--Found out wiimote mac address from "wiipair" (GUI version...this quoted the wiimote MAC as 23:53:81:81:02:05, whereas windows thinks its 05:02:81:81:53:23)
--Typed out "23 53 81 81 02 05" in notepad (maybe try reversing this depending on how you found out the wiimote MAC)
--Select all, copy, paste from notepad into hex editor ("HxD")
--Saved file from hex editor
--renamed hex editor file to have .txt extension
--opened this file in notepad
--select all, copy
--go to add bluetooth device
--hold 1+2 on the remote
--paste in pass code
--win :D :D

Additional info: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wiimote#Bluetooth_Pairing

Last edited:

NuclearFej

Dec 27, 2012
Tried this (just converted straight from hex to ASCII values). Didn't work. :(
No passcode, 0000, & 1234 did not work either.

Anyone figured out a way to get Wiimotes working on 4.2.1?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

ItsMeMasih

Jan 16, 2011
Orange County
Tried this (just converted straight from hex to ASCII values). Didn't work. :(
No passcode, 0000, & 1234 did not work either.

Anyone figured out a way to get Wiimotes working on 4.2.1?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

I'm in the same boat. I've trid 0000 and 1234 but I don't think either one of these will work. From what I understand, each Wiimote's pin is unique and tied to the BT MAC address, hence the decode methods discussed.

I assume the OP was suggesting a method to decode the Wiimote pin using the BT MAC address to pair using the standard BT recovery method in Android's "Settings" menu. Similar to how you would pair a BT keyboard or a BT headset. Can the OP or anyone confirm if any of the methods used in this thread work with JB 4.2.1?

dnabiker

Jan 10, 2013
I'm next to useless in C programming but I believe a more complete version of that sample would be
Code:
#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, const char * argv[])
{

// insert code here...
    char pin[6];
    pin[0] = 0x3A;
    pin[1] = 0xA1;
    pin[2] = 0x6F;
    pin[3] = 0x69;
    pin[4] = 0xA7;
    pin[5] = 0x64;
    printf(pin);
    return 0;
}

The main addition being printf which will print the contents of "pin". You can see the output if you compile and run it such as I've done at codepad.org/o1lpe4Kb

The problem of some values not converting properly remains unfortunately. The output should be 6 characters but a1 and a7 give funny output. a1 converts to i easily enough in most calculators but a7 is § which I could see causing problems. The fact remains that some bytes in most bluetooth MACs cant be properly translated. At first, spoofing the device MAC seams like an easy fix and it may be on some devices however my rom doesn't seem to have any simple options to accomplish this. I have read some success stories based around entering the MAC hex values in a hex editor and then saving as a text; anyone who has had success with this method, please post your results so we might see exactly what the wiimote is looking for. If i continue researching this tomorrow, I'll be looking at /data/misc/bluedroid/btconfig.xml. This is the only file i could find which references my MAC address and it appears as though it includes device pairing info, my hope is that info can be manipulated to bypass the pairing helper.

Vindictus

Sep 16, 2011
So, I assume that there still is no solution for this? :/

I've spent the last 2 hours looking for a way around this infuriating pairing issue. None of the wiiremote apps work, the pin is always asked for and whatever I type is always refused. I'm not even running Android 4.2, but 4.1.2 via Cyanogenmod10, so I have no idea why I'm even getting this PIN screen.

So I ended up dropping $15 on a wiimote that won't work when I was lead to believe that it did. Just have to wait, I guess.

erikieperikie

Dec 7, 2011
Apeldoorn
On 4.1.2 it should be possible. Running a Wiimote app and pairing it with your device should not be a problem, and neither ask for a key.

Maybe you should check out some youtube videos that show how easily this is done. I recommend videos made by Armando Ferreira. He's done one or two about gaming with a controller on Android.

Vindictus

Sep 16, 2011
On 4.1.2 it should be possible. Running a Wiimote app and pairing it with your device should not be a problem, and neither ask for a key.

Maybe you should check out some youtube videos that show how easily this is done. I recommend videos made by Armando Ferreira. He's done one or two about gaming with a controller on Android.

I know how it's done, as I said I've used multiple apps. Every time, the pin is asked for. I've tried XDA threads aimed at ascertaining the pin, but they don't work either. My only choice now is to run a different ROM.

bacon612

Jan 9, 2012
Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet
OnePlus 8 Pro
Oh man. I just got off a flight that I was planning on playing some super Mario bros world on my Xoom. Just upgraded it to 4.2.1 and no go on the Wii mote sync. Looking forward to a solution. I wonder if 4.2.2 will fix this. Worked fine for me on 4.2.1.

Sent from my Infectious Rezound using xda premium

erikieperikie

Dec 7, 2011
Apeldoorn
Oh man. I just got off a flight that I was planning on playing some super Mario bros world on my Xoom. Just upgraded it to 4.2.1 and no go on the Wii mote sync. Looking forward to a solution. I wonder if 4.2.2 will fix this. Worked fine for me on 4.2.1.

Sent from my Infectious Rezound using xda premium

I wonder the same. Isn't there some bluetooth fix in 4.2.2? I hope some dev(s) find a solution for us Wiimote owners.

JeroenGijselaar

May 13, 2010
It's so sad to see that there's still no fix for this, even after the fix of the SixAxis app 2 months ago. I think we'll probably never see the wiimote connected to android anymore. Unless there will be a dev to look into this...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I realize this is an old thread but I finally got my wiimote working on CM12.1 tonight and I just wanted to put it out there because I have been reading the internet for the past 2 hours trying to see if this was possible and I almost gave up but LazyCouchPotato gave me hope with a link to review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/89843/ and sure enough, wiimote pairing works great in Cyanogenmod 12+ with Bluez IME. I ended up more-or-less following the instructions from here: androidforums.com/threads/bluetooth-wiimote-fix-stock-sense.692392/ The instructions are a bit different though because I didn't need to do the quick pairing (it just works automatically).

Hopefully this confirmation helps someone else because I certainly would have loved to read something like this earlier today.
    So I finally made an XDA account just to reply to this thread.

First of all, it's amazing that you guys have put in effort for so long for finding a solution.

I wanted to bring two things to your attention: android-review.googlesource.com/#/c/137040/ and review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/89843/

I am currently running the second-latest nightly of CM12 (12/03/15) using multiboot and I gave it a try. When I try to connect the Wiimote using my primary ROM I'm asked to enter a pin. However when using CM12 the Wiimote does connect without using any sort of pin.

Imgur.com/AEdq4gm

The four lights on the remote keep blinking. If you read the comments in the CM commit, there's a link that takes you to some kernel related stuff. I don't really all of it, but could this make the Wiimote finally work?

This is what will fix it

https://android-review.googlesource.com/#/c/137040/

read latest entry
    Deckard Autoverifier
    Mar 4 4:55 AM

Patch Set 2: Verified+1
    This is an automated message from the Deckard Autoverifier.
    Patchset merges and builds in AOSP.
    Patchset merges and builds in Google's internal Android source tree.
    Assigning reviewer(s): mattx@android.com
    Everything merges and builds. Congratulations!

lc2app support was missing in current stack. That should allow older apps to work again because they will allow the bt adress 00:00:00:00:00:00 with a blank pin to connect.

THAT TOOK SO FRIGGIN' long, it's incredible.
    now, if you don't have a nexus or update phone : SOL.
    This is what will fix it

read latest entry

lc2app support was missing in current stack. That should allow older apps to work again because they will allow the bt adress 00:00:00:00:00:00 with a blank pin to connect.

THAT TOOK SO FRIGGIN' long, it's incredible.
    now, if you don't have a nexus or update phone : SOL.

Thanks for replying. I am currently running Euphoria ROM based on 5.0.2 on my Nexus 4.

In my previous post I had linked to the CM commit too : review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/89843/

I gave it a try, by installing CM12 nightly as a secondary ROM using multirom. Like I said in my previous post #79 it does connect, but I tried various apps to try to get it to actually work, it didn't.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzM0UXf-bDE

Wanted this to be noticed by you guys. Wiimote support on an Nvidia SHIELD TV. I'm not sure how they got it to work.
    Would anyone be able to make a Xposed mod to apply this fix?