Small issue with the "use search" response

Search This thread

Yautja_cetanu

Mar 8, 2007
Personally I don't know what the solution is to this. But one thing I've found a number of times elsewhere and on XDA-developers is that if someone starts a thread that breaks online etiquette by either:

1) Not searching before hand
2) starting a thread that has already been started
3) posted in the wrong forum.

Moderators jump on it with posts about why the thread was bad. Maybe this is not an issue with the last point but sometimes you get people responding with "use the search". Problem with that is, I do use search, and when I do I get lots of threads telling me to use the search! Its actually quite difficult to know what to search for some times to even if people provided terms to search for that would help.

I don't have any present examples of this behaviour (apart from the third, which was annoying but there were genuine answers after the first page of arguments) so maybe xda-developers is better then most sites, but I thought I'd raise this issue... if it hasn't been raised already...

DaveShaw

Senior Moderator Emeritus
Dec 4, 2007
Huddersfield
www.taeguk.co.uk
A quick point in addition to Mike's wonderful comments.

Most of the time I've seen people been told (and yes I do tell people too :eek:) to use the search is when the answer is either well known to the current user base or it's easily available in the stickies or has been answered a 100 times before.

When you first come to xda the forums seem very daunting (there are still some forums I get lost / confused in i.e. the Dream) but taking your time to read throgh the stickies and wiki pages can get you setup.

Dave

-PiLoT-

Retired Senior Moderator
Jan 17, 2008
Jefferson, SD
i tend to read more than id like to anyay due to no social life

so i dont really tend to search

in fact ill read forums for devices i have no imntemtion of buying just out of curiosity

RobtWms

I USE the search function! Promise. I recall my first time here. It took me 3 different visits just to figure what phone I purchased!!

Those that have used this forum for years don't understand the sheer volume of information that is presented here. It is daunting, to say the least.

addicus

Mar 13, 2006
Inland Empire, California
In all actuality we understand the amount of info here. Since the Kaiser the amount of phones and users on this board has grown exponentially. There are 4 regular Touch phones, the Touch Pro, Touch Hd, Dream, Diamond and however many smartphones that have hit the market in 2 years and all are supported here. The fact this place isn't a chaotic mess is due to Flar, the mods, the Wikis and THE SEARCH ENGINE. Had to do it.
Peace.

Last edited: