CraigsDocks review - True one hand Dock with digital USB-OTG audio out to DAC

Search This thread

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
Yesterday I installed my new CraigsDocks dock for my AT&T Galaxy S3.

I give it two :good: :good: up.

I created a DIY USB-OTG with power cable.
So the phone gets dropped into the dock.
It goes into dock mode automatically.
This USB-OTG cable bypasses the internal crappy DAC and sends digital audio out to my Behringer UCA202 DAC.
Which then sends the converted analog signal to my car stereo.

Here's my review/how-to on the whole DAC to Car Stereo thing:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2033527

The dock is much smaller in profile than my iBOLT dock. And also easier to put the phone in and remove it from the dock.
It's also more heavy duty and looks pretty good.
My DIY cable of course, detracts from the looks. But it's not too bad.

The dock is very sturdy. I can easily put the phone in one handed. It just slides right into the USB-OTG connector.

Youtube video of my dock in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Rda6Vsd9Wc&feature=youtu.be

MFG's info & ordering page for CraigsDocks:
http://www.craigsdocks.com/samsung-galaxy-s3-car-dock/

Pics.

IMG_20121220_143900_zpsdc36120e.jpg

IMG_20121220_143822_zps741ebbb9.jpg

IMG_20121220_143746_zps3931b3ae.jpg

IMG_20121220_143740_zpsa610ad8e.jpg

IMG_20121220_143731_zps9e7a1072.jpg

Last edited:

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but it sounds like according to the MFGR, that the supplied MicroUSB power/media cable that comes with the dock is actually USB-OTG capable. Either as-is, or with a small DIY mod. I didn't understand exactly.

I'm still incredibly happy with this dock. I have yet to need both hands to insert my phone. True one-handed connect in and remove phone action! :good:

Another benefit to this dock is that because it's adjustable, it will probably work for any similar sized phone with MicroUSB on the bottom. I wouldn't even be surprised if a NOTE II works in this dock. Or a GSIII with extended (fatter) battery + large case.

Last edited:
Reactions: goatman101

themadproducer

Aug 28, 2009
Wiring

Cz Eddie,
I am surprised at how little action this thread has received.
I wish the CraigsDock was around before the Ibolt. Hmmm, maybe it was.
All my past car docks were this type of one handed in/out deal and I miss it.
I will probably get one soon.

When I did the analog out of micro usb tests months ago, I went as far as having my own hand made cable wired to output sound but got terrible machine/cpu noise and gargle if I had both power and audio in the car. I tested it in the house with use wall power...same thing. I tested with a ground loop isolator...worse.

So, right now I have the Ibolt and a custom plug coming out of it that plugs into the headphone jack...works fine actually. But it 2 hands and 4 steps to plug it all in...Vs 1 hand, 1 step via your brilliant craigsdock setup. Love it.

Have you shared your DIY wiring scheme for the CraigsDock + DAC?
If yes, can you point me to it. (I have read your dac thread...I don't remember seeing it there)

Cheers

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
When I did the analog out of micro usb tests months ago, I went as far as having my own hand made cable wired to output sound but got terrible machine/cpu noise and gargle if I had both power and audio in the car. I tested it in the house with use wall power...same thing. I tested with a ground loop isolator...worse.

The reason I went with USB-DAC was because of the higher quality audio. But mostly because analog USB just had bits of low level noise that annoyed me.

So, right now I have the Ibolt and a custom plug coming out of it that plugs into the headphone jack...works fine actually. But it 2 hands and 4 steps to plug it all in...Vs 1 hand, 1 step via your brilliant craigsdock setup. Love it.

Yep, the Craigsdock is true one-handed operation. You have to mess with the dock settings to get it perfect. It took me about 5-10 minutes, but the phone smoothly slips right into the USB connector and is nice and stable.

If yes, can you point me to it. (I have read your dac thread...I don't remember seeing it there)

Cheers

Well, it's either in this thread or the USB-DAC thread?

I just bought a very short USB-OTG connector that had a right-angle microUSB connector for the phone plugin at the dock.

Then I bought a normal, USB extension cable.

And bought a three way normal USB-OTG cable (USB-OTG plus a USB connector for charging).

I snipped off one end of the short USB-OTG and matched the four wires by color to the straight (longer) USB cable. Then took that end and matched it up to the three-way USB-OTG cable. Again, just soldering the four wires to each other. All the colors matched up perfectly.
Wish I didn't lose the pics I took of that procedure. I'd post them if I still had them.
It was all super easy to do.

Reactions: themadproducer

ebrowni

Jul 28, 2013
Albuquerque
Cables needed for DAC for Craig's Dock?

I just bought a very short USB-OTG connector that had a right-angle microUSB connector for the phone plugin at the dock.
And bought a three way normal USB-OTG cable (USB-OTG plus a USB connector for charging).
I snipped off one end of the short USB-OTG and matched the four wires by color to the straight (longer) USB cable. Then took that end and matched it up to the three-way USB-OTG cable. Again, just soldering the four wires to each other. All the colors matched up perfectly.
Wish I didn't lose the pics I took of that procedure. I'd post them if I still had them.

Hello, first CZ Eddie, you have been so helpful with this thread and the "The $43 Galaxy S3 + Car Stereo Upgrade for WaaaY better sound quality! USB-DAC Audio" thread. THANK YOU!

I finally bought a new car stereo and will be having it installed by a local company (I am not too handy with vehicle installations). The car stereo has aux and USB on the front side (I want to keep USB on front open for thumb drive music). I purchased a Craigs Dock (from the website you listed above - awesome!) as well. I want to provide the installer with AS MUCH OF THE EQUIPMENT as possible, and a detailed diagram on how to create what you created with the USB-DAC using the Craigs Dock.

As of now I believe I will need to provide the following for a clean installation (can you please tell me if I'm missing something like a necessary connector or cable to connect to Craigs Dock?):
* Two-USB cigarette lighter power source (from amazon, RAVPower® Car USB Charger Dual USB Port 3.1A(2.1A+1A) / 15.5W / ...)
* The new Car Stereo Kenwood KDC-X896 (I can't post links here)
* Craigs Dock (powered by USB connector in cigarette lighter)
* Behringer UCA202 USB DAC (same as posted in your thread, connected to RCA audio cable to aux in on front of stereo)
* Micro USB Host OTG Cable with Micro USB Power for Samsung i9100 i9300 i9220 i9250 (same as posted in your thread; connected from DAC's USB to a power source/micro USB, and then the other end to the Craigs Dock)
* 3.5mm Male To (2) RCA Stereo Audio Cable - (6 Feet) - Step Down Design accommodates iPhone, iTouch, SmartPhones & MP3 cases
* Mini USB male to USB male (for connecting DAC power end to cigarette lighter USB) - such as the Amazon basics A-Male-Mini-B-Cable-...)

Am I missing something? How do I connect the Micro USB Host OTG Cable end into the Craigs Dock?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX

Does USB-DAC work again for the S3? Last time I checked, it wasn't working on AOSP ROM's. I have an S4 now though so I have not kept up on things.
Btw, the S4 fits in the same Craigsdock just fine. So does the NOTE II.

I recommend this setup for power. It's cleaner and works better. Just tie it into any 12V power lead.
http://img2.media.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=43697113

You don't want Mini-USB. You need Micro-USB.

So, in this pic where it says "This end goes to MicroUSB Power Source", I would just cut off that end of the cable and hard wire it to the power source I linked above.
UCA202.jpg

I don't use DAC's anymore. I use the APT-X Bluetooth codec. It's 95% as good as a DAC when it comes to sound. But 5000% more convenient.
It won't win any audio awards but it's much better than regular Bluetooth and almost as good as DAC.

Reactions: ebrowni

ebrowni

Jul 28, 2013
Albuquerque
No need for DAC? OK much easier.

I recommend this setup for power. It's cleaner and works better. Just tie it into any 12V power lead.

I don't use DAC's anymore. I use the APT-X Bluetooth codec. It's 95% as good as a DAC when it comes to sound. But 5000% more convenient.
It won't win any audio awards but it's much better than regular Bluetooth and almost as good as DAC.

Thanks CZ Eddie! So, from what I'm reading I will just use my APT-X Bluetooth codec (inherent in the S4) to stream through my Kenwood audio system, which is bluetooth compatible. (I'm OK with a 5% less quality sound by using the bluetooth!) So the only thing I will need to do is connect the CraigsDock to the power source. Is that it?! To get high quality sound?! It just seams too easy! ;)

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
Thanks CZ Eddie! So, from what I'm reading I will just use my APT-X Bluetooth codec (inherent in the S4) to stream through my Kenwood audio system, which is bluetooth compatible. (I'm OK with a 5% less quality sound by using the bluetooth!) So the only thing I will need to do is connect the CraigsDock to the power source. Is that it?! To get high quality sound?! It just seams too easy! ;)

Amazingly easy. I love being to remove the phone from the dock and the audio never stops playing.
All you need the dock for is for charging and to hold the phone at eye level.

You can also use Car Home Ultra to give you a car friendly interface. I have mine set so Car Home Ultra automatically wakes the phone and opens up as soon as it senses the bluetooth connection.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=spinninghead.carhome.license&hl=en

Oh but one problem. No current Car Stereo has APT-X capability.
So you have to buy an APT-X receiver and plug that into the AUX-input of your car stereo.
That's the easy part. The only hard part is hard-wiring the APT-X receiver into a power source. But you can share the same power source that the phone will use.

This is the APT-X receiver I have:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketf...iver/5654132.p?id=1218679203690&skuId=5654132

I'll do a DIY thread here someday. I've had this setup for a few months and it's great.

Reactions: ebrowni

ebrowni

Jul 28, 2013
Albuquerque
Thanks so much - Another question... Of course!

So you have to buy an APT-X receiver and plug that into the AUX-input of your car stereo.
That's the easy part. The only hard part is hard-wiring the APT-X receiver into a power source. But you can share the same power source that the phone will use.

Thanks for the info on the App! I'll get that setup on my S4 once everything's in place. Also thanks for the link to the Rocketfish on bestbuy.

A few more questions (of course!):
* On installation, can I have the Rocketfish placed behind the stereo/out of sight, with it continuing to work/without interference? Assuming I hard-wire it for power then that would be easiest.
* Also, I'm guessing that I need to buy an aux cable to connect to the front aux input of my car stereo. HOWEVER, I'm attaching a picture of the back of the kenwood kdc-x896 - is there another way that I could connect to the car stereo using the connections offered in the back? then the front of the stereo would be completely clean and it would be integrated behind the stereo.

What do you think?
Thank you!

Attachments

• 12_KDC-X896_K_BACK.jpg
    12_KDC-X896_K_BACK.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 144

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
* On installation, can I have the Rocketfish placed behind the stereo/out of sight, with it continuing to work/without interference? Assuming I hard-wire it for power then that would be easiest.

Absolutely. Mine is buried way deep inside my dash somewhere.
Hard wired power for a few months... not a single problem with it at all.
It turns on when my ignition key turns. And turns off the same way.
It connects to my phone super quick every time I get in the car. I don't have to initiate the connection, ever.

Also, I'm guessing that I need to buy an aux cable to connect to the front aux input of my car stereo. HOWEVER, I'm attaching a picture of the back of the kenwood kdc-x896 - is there another way that I could connect to the car stereo using the connections offered in the back? then the front of the stereo would be completely clean and it would be integrated behind the stereo.

Nope, you have to connect to the AUX on the front.
You can find car stereo's with rear AUX. It's harder to find them, but they are out there.

If you can handle having a car stereo with rear USB input (run a cord to the front for your USB stick), then there are a couple stereos near your price range that have rear 3.5mm AUX input:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-IuY1I6ICy10/p_105KDX80BT/JVC-KD-X80BT.html

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-eYwsaEZ5rq0/p_113KDCX996/Kenwood-Excelon-KDC-X996.html

Just hafta search for the good prices on the Kenwood. I saw it under $200 somewhere.

ebrowni

Jul 28, 2013
Albuquerque
Thanks for your help!

Absolutely. Mine is buried way deep inside my dash somewhere.
Hard wired power for a few months... not a single problem with it at all.
It turns on when my ignition key turns. And turns off the same way.
It connects to my phone super quick every time I get in the car. I don't have to initiate the connection, ever.

AWESOME! I'll just tuck it in behind and hard wire to the battery with the craigsdock power... So great that the ignition starts everything and it automatically connects.

Nope, you have to connect to the AUX on the front. You can find car stereo's with rear AUX. It's harder to find them, but they are out there.

I already bought the Kenwood after lots of research... The KDC-x996 looked great but the downfall (for me) was CD insertion; it has to be done with the faceplate off, and I'm "old school" (haha) and like CDs still. :) Thanks so much for the suggestions with the rear inputs! I'm really happy that the only cable that will be seen (aside from the Craigsdock power line) is the aux input on the front. Very excited to get this setup! Thanks CZ Eddie!

:D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yesterday I installed my new CraigsDocks dock for my AT&T Galaxy S3.

I give it two :good: :good: up.

I created a DIY USB-OTG with power cable.
    So the phone gets dropped into the dock.
    It goes into dock mode automatically.
    This USB-OTG cable bypasses the internal crappy DAC and sends digital audio out to my Behringer UCA202 DAC.
    Which then sends the converted analog signal to my car stereo.

Here's my review/how-to on the whole DAC to Car Stereo thing:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2033527

The dock is much smaller in profile than my iBOLT dock. And also easier to put the phone in and remove it from the dock.
    It's also more heavy duty and looks pretty good.
    My DIY cable of course, detracts from the looks. But it's not too bad.

The dock is very sturdy. I can easily put the phone in one handed. It just slides right into the USB-OTG connector.

Youtube video of my dock in action.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Rda6Vsd9Wc&feature=youtu.be

MFG's info & ordering page for CraigsDocks:
    http://www.craigsdocks.com/samsung-galaxy-s3-car-dock/

Pics.

IMG_20121220_143900_zpsdc36120e.jpg

IMG_20121220_143822_zps741ebbb9.jpg

IMG_20121220_143746_zps3931b3ae.jpg

IMG_20121220_143740_zpsa610ad8e.jpg

IMG_20121220_143731_zps9e7a1072.jpg
    I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but it sounds like according to the MFGR, that the supplied MicroUSB power/media cable that comes with the dock is actually USB-OTG capable. Either as-is, or with a small DIY mod. I didn't understand exactly.

I'm still incredibly happy with this dock. I have yet to need both hands to insert my phone. True one-handed connect in and remove phone action! :good:

Another benefit to this dock is that because it's adjustable, it will probably work for any similar sized phone with MicroUSB on the bottom. I wouldn't even be surprised if a NOTE II works in this dock. Or a GSIII with extended (fatter) battery + large case.

The reason I went with USB-DAC was because of the higher quality audio. But mostly because analog USB just had bits of low level noise that annoyed me.

Yep, the Craigsdock is true one-handed operation. You have to mess with the dock settings to get it perfect. It took me about 5-10 minutes, but the phone smoothly slips right into the USB connector and is nice and stable.

Cheers

Does USB-DAC work again for the S3? Last time I checked, it wasn't working on AOSP ROM's. I have an S4 now though so I have not kept up on things.
    Btw, the S4 fits in the same Craigsdock just fine. So does the NOTE II.

So, in this pic where it says "This end goes to MicroUSB Power Source", I would just cut off that end of the cable and hard wire it to the power source I linked above.
    UCA202.jpg

Amazingly easy. I love being to remove the phone from the dock and the audio never stops playing.
    All you need the dock for is for charging and to hold the phone at eye level.

You can also use Car Home Ultra to give you a car friendly interface. I have mine set so Car Home Ultra automatically wakes the phone and opens up as soon as it senses the bluetooth connection.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=spinninghead.carhome.license&hl=en

This is the APT-X receiver I have:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketf...iver/5654132.p?id=1218679203690&skuId=5654132

I'll do a DIY thread here someday. I've had this setup for a few months and it's great.