Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,262 Members 50,491 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can no longer connect to 5ghz wifi

Tip us?

geiswiz
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default [Q] Can no longer connect to 5ghz wifi

I used to be able to connect to my 5ghz wifi network without a problem. It stopped working recently when I flashed one of the CM9 ROMs. I thought it had something to do with the ROM but it was working on earlier CM9 builds. I flashed back to Task650's v14.1 ROM where it used to work fine but I still can't connect. It sees the network but when I click connect it doesn't do anything. I haven't made any changes on my router and I can connect to my 2.4ghz network fine. I have a Linksys E3200 router with the 5ghz network setup on channel 36, 40mhz channel width and WPA2 personal security. I've tried changing all the settings on the router but i still can't connect. I did Odin back to stock last week because I was getting a lot of reboots on the CM9 ROM I was running. After that I flashed CWM and then flashed the latest CM9 ROM. It seems like the trouble connecting to my 5ghz network started around that same time.

Does anyone have any idea what problem could be? I have a 7510 32gb Tab.

Thanks.

geiswiz
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Does anyone have this issue? I Odin'd back to stock 3.1 and I still couldn't connect to my 5ghz network. When I click on the network it doesn't do anything. I found this issue with the galaxy nexus connecting to 5ghz wifi - http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=22474. A lot of the posts on there describe the exact same problem I am having. I used to be able to connect fine then it stopped working. It was working fine on the stock ROM, all of Task650's ROMs and all the CM9 KAMGs. I was flashing a lot of the CM9 ROMs during the time it stopped working. It could be a hardware issue, but the fact that it sees the network fine makes me think it's not. I recently upgraded the firmware on my router and did a factory reset on it but that didn't help.

Luxferro
Old
Thanks Meter 321
I have this same problem on my Galaxy Nexus. Put your phone really close to your router (a few inches) and I bet it will connect on the 5GHz band.

If it connects at really close range then you know the hardware is damaged... my guess is samsung has some kind of serious design flaw in their phones for this to be happening to so many people on different models of their phones.

mel897
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Default 5GHz bug?

I recently discovered that my Tab 10.1 works with low channels (eg 36) but not high channels (eg 149). I was surprised to find quite a number of postings about the same issue. Is there a firmware issue or is it a bad RF chip? It seems Samsung has a problem...

Dedren
Old
Thanks Meter 2
If anyone is still having this problem I found something that worked for me. The info below is copied from this issue http://code.google.com/p/android/iss...il?id=40999#c4

"...only channels 36, 40, 44 and 48 work for 5GHz on the Galaxy Nexus. (My AP was on auto and blasting on # 149).
I manually set it to 48 and presto I was connected."

k1mu
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1523

DONATE TO ME
There's an error in the configuration file- /system/etc/wifi/nvram_net.txt
Take a look at the thread here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1866908
My Android devices:
vzw Samsung Galaxy S4 stock NC5 rooted
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, also stock but rooted.

VZ Droid Incredible 2 rooted but otherwise stock.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1