[Q] Possible to change S-pen pull out sound?

Search This thread

Oct 25, 2012
Baldwin Park, CA
Hey guys, I was just wondering if there was a way to change the S-pen pull out noise to a custom tone? I have the Tmo version and there is only 3 that I can choose from. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: KingDave26

onslaught86

You should be able to replace the stock sounds with new files of the same names. Unsure of their exact location as I've not looked into it, but it'd stand to reason that they'd be in /system/media/ui somewhere.

Did occur to me that it'd be fun to replace them with, say, lightsaber noises. Or Steve Jobs saying "Who wants a stylus?"

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium

Oct 25, 2012
Baldwin Park, CA
I see the file under the UI folder but it seems I need to assume root, it only has read permissions. I will give it a go when theres a root for tmobile. Thanks for the reply and leading me in the right direction though. Btw you read my mind, I wanted to replace it with a lightsaber lol

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

Oct 25, 2012
Baldwin Park, CA
Just a quick update. After rooting I just used rom toolbox lite, used the roit browser to insert my custom tone, renamed it exactly to thw original and it works. Thanks onslaught for the tips

Reactions: jerdoggmckoy

dceightfive

Apr 30, 2011
London, UK
deancollins.co.uk
Found some lightsaber power-up & power-down sounds if anyone is after them, sourced them from: http://soundfxcenter.com/sound-effects/star-wars/20 and converted to .ogg and reduced the volume so they aren't too loud.

- Go to: /system/media/audio/ui in Root Explorer (or similar app)
- [Optional] Rename Pen_att_noti1.ogg & Pen_det_noti1.ogg to Pen_att_noti1.bak & Pen_det_noti1.bak
- Extract S-Pen_Lightsaber_Sounds.zip [attached below] and copy both files to /system/media/audio/ui
- Go to System Settings -> S Pen -> Pen/attach/detach and set to Sound1
- Enjoy!

I have attached the original Pen_att_noti1.ogg & Pen_det_noti1.ogg in case you overwrote/deleted the originals instead of renaming.

Attachments

• S-Pen_Lightsaber_Sounds.zip
    66.4 KB · Views: 813
  • S-Pen_noti1_orig.zip
    9.2 KB · Views: 358

KingDave26

Dec 8, 2011
This is awesome. Worked for me. Now Is there anything we can do tobincrease the volume of the spen lightsaber noise. Its very understated which is ok but I'd like it to be a little more noticeable.

Reactions: evanladoux

noizytg

Nov 18, 2012
I've looked into UI sound folder. there're many ui sounds and customisable.

including yours are great. many thanks. :good:

Mr_Armageddon

Oct 31, 2007
Denver
Thanks to all that explained how to do this. Works perfectly.
I found some other sound files that are louder than the ones provided on this thread. I have included the original files I made, along with the re-named ones to drop directly into the "ui" folder. Enjoy!

androidflea

Jul 24, 2010
Please please please can someone video this, totally awesome, would love to share this on Facebook:)

modmandan

May 6, 2010
Puyallup, Wa.
I love the Light Saber sounds, but I included a shotgun sound to you to enjoy. This will replace notification sound #2.

This came from Jellybomb. So give credit to joshbeach.

Just be sure to follow the instructions given by dceightfive

- [Optional] Rename Pen_att_noti2.ogg & Pen_det_noti2.ogg to Pen_att_noti2.bak & Pen_det_noti2.bak
- Extract shotgun sounds.zip [attached below] and copy both files to /system/media/audio/ui
- Go to System Settings -> S Pen -> Pen/attach/detach and set to Sound2
- Enjoy!

Last edited:

speedyavi

Apr 21, 2011
mumbai
I love the Light Saber sounds, but I included a shotgun sound to you to enjoy. This will replace notification sound #2.

This came from Jellybomb. So give credit to joshbeach.

Just be sure to follow the instructions given by dceightfive

- [Optional] Rename Pen_att_noti2.ogg & Pen_det_noti2.ogg to Pen_att_noti2.bak & Pen_det_noti2.bak
- Extract shotgun sounds.zip [attached below] and copy both files to /system/media/audio/ui
- Go to System Settings -> S Pen -> Pen/attach/detach and set to Sound2
- Enjoy!

The Pen att notii files on audio UI are read only files and i can not change them. Also, even though i renamed the downloaded files, i can not past or move them the required folder. Any suggestions?

Reactions: dhruvmalik

XeroHertZ

Dec 3, 2004
Bahrain
Just tried this on my Note 2 with Omega rom...loved the light sabre sound...LOL, awesome work..thanks for all :)

Last edited:

modmandan

May 6, 2010
Puyallup, Wa.
The Pen att notii files on audio UI are read only files and i can not change them. Also, even though i renamed the downloaded files, i can not past or move them the required folder. Any suggestions?

Couple of questions for you...

1. Are you rooted?
2. Are you using Root Explorer or ES File Explorer?

If your using ES, you need to be sure it has root access and has the "system" folder "mounted" for writing (both in settings of ES). Also, it's not the files you downloaded that you rename, it's the original files in the /system/media/audio/ui folder you rename to .bak, then copy and paste the new ones in.

Last edited:
Reactions: speedyavi

speedyavi

Apr 21, 2011
mumbai
Couple of questions for you...

1. Are you rooted?
2. Are you using Root Explorer or ES File Explorer?

If your using ES, you need to be sure it has root access and has the "system" folder "mounted" for writing (both in settings of ES). Also, it's not the files you downloaded that you rename, it's the original files in the /system/media/audio/ui folder you rename to .bak, then copy and paste the new ones in.

Hi
Thank you for your reply. I have my phone rooted. I tried ES. i can not highlight the Mount file system option in the root settings. Also when i click Root explorer, i get the msg that this feature can not run on my phone. I also tried the other app Explorer. When i try to change the name of the original file. i get the msg this is a read only file. So how do i proceed.thank you

Reactions: dhruvmalik

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Found some lightsaber power-up & power-down sounds if anyone is after them, sourced them from: http://soundfxcenter.com/sound-effects/star-wars/20 and converted to .ogg and reduced the volume so they aren't too loud.

- [Optional] Rename Pen_att_noti1.ogg & Pen_det_noti1.ogg to Pen_att_noti1.bak & Pen_det_noti1.bak
    - Extract S-Pen_Lightsaber_Sounds.zip [attached below] and copy both files to /system/media/audio/ui
    - Go to System Settings -> S Pen -> Pen/attach/detach and set to Sound1
    - Enjoy!

I have attached the original Pen_att_noti1.ogg & Pen_det_noti1.ogg in case you overwrote/deleted the originals instead of renaming.
    You should be able to replace the stock sounds with new files of the same names. Unsure of their exact location as I've not looked into it, but it'd stand to reason that they'd be in /system/media/ui somewhere.

Did occur to me that it'd be fun to replace them with, say, lightsaber noises. Or Steve Jobs saying "Who wants a stylus?"

Hey guys, I was just wondering if there was a way to change the S-pen pull out noise to a custom tone? I have the Tmo version and there is only 3 that I can choose from. Thanks in advance.
    Just a quick update. After rooting I just used rom toolbox lite, used the roit browser to insert my custom tone, renamed it exactly to thw original and it works. Thanks onslaught for the tips

This is awesome. Worked for me. Now Is there anything we can do tobincrease the volume of the spen lightsaber noise. Its very understated which is ok but I'd like it to be a little more noticeable.