Need help renaming Partitions in Dual Boot kernel!! Please Help!!

Search This thread

fishingfon

Feb 10, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
I am having a problem getting the dual boot working.
I cloned the /data and /system to the /data/media/.secondrom/ folder like gokhan said, and I placed a file /.secondrom/media/.nextboot with the value of 2, which is supposed to get the to boot up in to the second Rom. But it still boots up in the first Rom.

Corey

Sent from my GT-N7100

If I helped you, please hit Thanks..

garyd9

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
when you boot normally, does "/data/media/.secondrom" exist as a directory? Does "/data/media/.secondrom/system.img" exist as a file? What is the output of "ls -l /data/media/.secondrom/"?

I still don't know what that "/sbin/choose_rom" file is, what it does, etc. Is that a script or a binary? If it's a script, what is it doing? (If it's missing, based on the script in the OP, booting to a second firmware will fail.)

Gary

Reactions: deeznutz1977

fishingfon

Feb 10, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
when you boot normally, does "/data/media/.secondrom" exist as a directory? Does "/data/media/.secondrom/system.img" exist as a file? What is the output of "ls -l /data/media/.secondrom/"?

I still don't know what that "/sbin/choose_rom" file is, what it does, etc. Is that a script or a binary? If it's a script, what is it doing? (If it's missing, based on the script in the OP, booting to a second firmware will fail.)

Gary

Hi,
I manually created the /data/media/secondrom folder, and I also manually created the system image in it, as I don't have the custom dual boot recovery which normally crates them yet. So they are always there.

The choose Rom you can view here I think
https://github.com/gokhanmoral/ramfs-sgs3

Although I think it's just a binary. And yes the binary is in my kernel.

The output of that command is
Code:
u0_a142@android:/ $ export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
u0_a142@android:/ $ su
u0_a142@android:/ # ls -l /data/media/.secondrom/
drwxrwx--x system   system            2012-12-28 09:24 data
-rw-rw-r-- root     sdcard_rw 2147483648 2012-12-28 10:36 system.img
u0_a142@android:/ #

Do u have any idea what it could be?, could the second system img I created not be getting mounted or anything?.
Here is a message I sent gokhan moral explaining the problem

"
Hi, i have cloned the /system and /data to the secondrom folder, and put a file in /.secondrom/media/.nextboot with the value of 2. But when I restart the phone, it still starts in to the default Rom. Could the problem be, that in the /sbin/init I changed the partitions names mmcblk0p13 and mmcblk0p13 to extra13, and extra16, so that they didn't clash with the partitions already on the note 2. Do u know if the was anything in the source binary or something that needed those partitions with the original name?.
I also changed the minors and majors so that they matched the note 2.

But when I don't put the nextboot file in ".secondrom" the folder /.secondrom in the root of the phone is empty, but when I put the nextboot file with the value of 2, and reboot the phone, the folder /.secondrom has the phone data in it. So it seems like the data is booting right ect, it's just the system that's not booting with the second Rom system.img

So could it be the system.img I put in the sd card isn't functioning correcting "

If I can get the dual boot working, it would only take about 2 min to get it working on the other n2 variants as well, as I think they all have the same partition layout.

Cheers
Corey

Sent from my GT-N7100

Last edited:

garyd9

Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
does /sbin/choose_rom exist on your device? It should be a symbolic link to /sbin/busybox... which leads to the question of if /sbin/busybox exists and from where did you get the busybox binary?

This is probably going to be a long and painful thread of questions and answers. It'd probably be easier if you walk through the script, understand what each line does (and why), and work out what SHOULD be happening. It's possible you'll have one of those "oh.. yeah!" moments and find your own issue.

fishingfon

Feb 10, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
does /sbin/choose_rom exist on your device? It should be a symbolic link to /sbin/busybox... which leads to the question of if /sbin/busybox exists and from where did you get the busybox binary?

This is probably going to be a long and painful thread of questions and answers. It'd probably be easier if you walk through the script, understand what each line does (and why), and work out what SHOULD be happening. It's possible you'll have one of those "oh.. yeah!" moments and find your own issue.

Hi,
When I repacked the ramdisk, the choose_rom file was in it, but in /sbin on my phone, it is not showing.
But /sbin/choose_rom is a binary, so I don't think it would show there anyway.

And the busybox binary was already in the ramfs source code.

I have read thru all the scripts already (quite a few times actually) but I still can't figure out why it's giving me my current issue :(

I will wait and see if gokhan moral has any idea what's wrong.

Thanks
Cheers
Corey

Sent from my GT-N7100

garyd9

Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
When I repacked the ramdisk, the choose_rom file was in it, but in /sbin on my phone, it is not showing.
But /sbin/choose_rom is a binary, so I don't think it would show there anyway.
You are insisting that it's a binary, but the github repo you pointed me to shows it as being a symbolic link to /sbin/busybox. (/sbin/busybox would be a binary.)

Your statement about it being a binary and therefore not showing up in /sbin is silly and incorrect. Does /sbin/adbd show there? That's a binary and it shows up. In fact, the script that you posted in the OP relies on /sbin/choose_rom existing. If that doesn't exist, the init script will revert to booting the primary firmware.
I have read thru all the scripts already (quite a few times actually)
(Now I'm going to get on my soapbox) If you had actually read through and understood the init script, you'd understand what I just mentioned and it wouldn't have even occurred to you to think otherwise.

fishingfon

Feb 10, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
You are insisting that it's a binary, but the github repo you pointed me to shows it as being a symbolic link to /sbin/busybox. (/sbin/busybox would be a binary.)

Your statement about it being a binary and therefore not showing up in /sbin is silly and incorrect. Does /sbin/adbd show there? That's a binary and it shows up. In fact, the script that you posted in the OP relies on /sbin/choose_rom existing. If that doesn't exist, the init script will revert to booting the primary firmware.

(Now I'm going to get on my soapbox) If you had actually read through and understood the init script, you'd understand what I just mentioned and it wouldn't have even occurred to you to think otherwise.

Hi,
Look, here is a photo of the choose_rom binary:
a5udasa5.jpg

mamumaby.jpg

There u can see that it's a binary.

The is also loads of other binary files that don't show up in /sbin/ either, so that's why I was saying that it's probably not showing there cos it's a binary.

Cheers
Corey
Sent from my GT-N7100

garyd9

Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Look, here is a photo of the choose_rom binary:
There u can see that it's a binary.
I'm sure someone is reading your reply and waiting for me to start flaming you. I'm not going to. At least not yet. (I might get a bit sarcastic, but not too much.)

First, you just showed me a picture of a GUI showing a directory, but didn't mention which directory it is. Second, please don't show me pictures of pretty GUI's. Show me pictures of pretty command lines instead. Actually, I'm not a big fan of pictures to display textual information anyway. Here's what you need to do with your phone connected:
Code:
adb shell
su
ls -l /sbin/choose_rom
If the file is there, it should show as a symbolic link to /sbin/busybox. If it's not a symbolic link or not showing at all, you messed up packing the initramfs.

(BTW, in that picture you included, see that little black arrow in the lower left corner of the icon representing choose_rom? Are you a little curious what that arrow is representing?)

fishingfon

Feb 10, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
I'm sure someone is reading your reply and waiting for me to start flaming you. I'm not going to. At least not yet. (I might get a bit sarcastic, but not too much.)

First, you just showed me a picture of a GUI showing a directory, but didn't mention which directory it is. Second, please don't show me pictures of pretty GUI's. Show me pictures of pretty command lines instead. Actually, I'm not a big fan of pictures to display textual information anyway. Here's what you need to do with your phone connected:
Code:
adb shell
su
ls -l /sbin/choose_rom
If the file is there, it should show as a symbolic link to /sbin/busybox. If it's not a symbolic link or not showing at all, you messed up packing the initramfs.

(BTW, in that picture you included, see that little black arrow in the lower left corner of the icon representing choose_rom? Are you a little curious what that arrow is representing?)

Hi,
Here is the result from the terminal:

export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
u0_a142@android:/ $ export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
u0_a142@android:/ $ su
1|u0_a142@android:/ # ls -l /sbin/choose_rom
lrwxrwxrwx root root 1970-01-01 10:00 choose_rom -> busybox
u0_a142@android:/ #

That result from the terminal looks correct to me.

And no I never noticed that little black arrow before, as I don't really use the file explorer in Linux. Do u know what it means?, cos I don't.

Thanks

Cheers
Corey
Sent from my GT-N7100

Last edited:

fishingfon

Feb 10, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Ps,
I just tried booting In to the second Rom again, and I noticed that when I boot in to the second Rom, it boots in to the first Rom still, but all the data from /data also gets mounted in /.secondrom
So it seems that that part of the dual boot is working, but the system img isn't getting mounted or something.

Corey

Last edited:

fishingfon

Feb 10, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Edit:
I just realised that when I created the system img for the second Rom, I forgot to disable the file system check (or what ever u call it). So I am making a new system img and trying the dual boot again.

Cheers
Corey

Sent from my GT-N7100

Reactions: tacchan23

fishingfon

Feb 10, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
I have found another thing to try, and if it works, it should also fix the ext sd card problem :)
As both the dual boot problem and the dual boot problem, seem to be caused in 2 files, but I will have to try it in the morning.

Corey

Sent from my GT-N7100

fishingfon

Feb 10, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Hi,
if u remember, i renamed thoses partitions "mmcblk0p13" and "mmcblk0p16" to extra16 and extra 13.
I was just wondering if the is anyway that i can check that they are working correctly now i have renamed them?.

If anyone could help, i can send them the full source code with the edits i have done ect.

Thanks

Corey

Edit:
I forgot to say, the original problem I had with the dual boot has been fixed, now it seems to be trying to boot in to thr second Rom, but it's just getting stuck at the first hurdle, it's just freezing on the choose rom screen.
I have tried everything I can think of, but no luck.

Corey

Last edited:

ima.monstaaa

Aug 31, 2012
Hi,
if u remember, i renamed thoses partitions "mmcblk0p13" and "mmcblk0p16" to extra16 and extra 13.
I was just wondering if the is anyway that i can check that they are working correctly now i have renamed them?.

If anyone could help, i can send them the full source code with the edits i have done ect.

Thanks

Corey

Edit:
I forgot to say, the original problem I had with the dual boot has been fixed, now it seems to be trying to boot in to thr second Rom, but it's just getting stuck at the first hurdle, it's just freezing on the choose rom screen.
I have tried everything I can think of, but no luck.

Corey

Could you mount them and write a test file to them? Are you just wanting to check that they exist and are read/writeable?

lassieee

Aug 28, 2009
Oostzaan
Hi fishington, first of all I'd like to thank you for the time you are taking to get this dual boot thing to work. I would love to have it on my note 2 :)

Please read garyd9's suggestions carefully. That little black arrow on choose_rom he referred to in his last post means that it IS a symlink :)

Good luck, I really hope you can get it to work!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

fishingfon

Feb 10, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Could you mount them and write a test file to them? Are you just wanting to check that they exist and are read/writeable?

Hi,
Yes i didnt think of that, i will try that later.
Thanks

Corey

Hi fishington, first of all I'd like to thank you for the time you are taking to get this dual boot thing to work. I would love to have it on my note 2 :)

Please read garyd9's suggestions carefully. That little black arrow on choose_rom he referred to in his last post means that it IS a symlink :)

Good luck, I really hope you can get it to work!

Hi,
Yes I found out what the contents of choose_ROM is, and its a symbolic link to busy box.
But I can't find anything wrong with the choose ROM thing ect.

I fixed the first problem of not being able to select the second ROM on boot, but now I have a new problem.
When I boot The phone up, with the value of 2 in .nextboot, and select the second ROM, the second ROM trys to boot, but it freezes as soon as I select the second ROM.

I am thinking something might be wrong with my second system.img
Cos I created a 1gb ext4 system img, and placed it in /data/media/.secondrom
But when I clone the second ROM to it, instead of using the 1gb of space already created, it seems to try and expand the system img, so if I clone a 500mb ROM to the IMG the system IMG will expand to 1.5gb.

I know the second system.img is getting mounted, cos if I leave the img empty, the phone will loop on the choose rom screen, but if I put a system.img with a cloned rom, the choose ROM screen freezes when it trys to boot the second rom.
I really need someone with a s3 to install a n2 ROM with the s3 update script etc as there second rom, and then send me the system.IMG but I can't seem to find anyone :(

Cheers
Corey

Sent from my GT-N7100

Unknownforce

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2008
Hi,
Thanks

Corey

Hi,
Yes I found out what the contents of choose_ROM is, and its a symbolic link to busy box.

I fixed the first problem of not being able to select the second ROM on boot, but now I have a new problem.
When I boot The phone up, with the value of 2 in .nextboot, and select the second ROM, the second ROM trys to boot, but it freezes as soon as I select the second ROM.

But when I clone the second ROM to it, instead of using the 1gb of space already created, it seems to try and expand the system img, so if I clone a 500mb ROM to the IMG the system IMG will expand to 1.5gb.

I know the second system.img is getting mounted, cos if I leave the img empty, the phone will loop on the choose rom screen, but if I put a system.img with a cloned rom, the choose ROM screen freezes when it trys to boot the second rom.
I really need someone with a s3 to install a n2 ROM with the s3 update script etc as there second rom, and then send me the system.IMG but I can't seem to find anyone :(

Cheers
Corey

Sent from my GT-N7100

I can do this, but it won't be until Sunday. I need my phone all through most the weekend. Toss me some links and I'll get on it either Saturday night or Sunday daytime.

fishingfon

Feb 10, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
I can do this, but it won't be until Sunday. I need my phone all through most the weekend. Toss me some links and I'll get on it either Saturday night or Sunday daytime.

OK thanks heaps, I will make a ROM with the n2 update script today, and send u a link.

Thanks heaps for doing this.

Cheers
Corey

Sent from my GT-N7100

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

I am in the process of porting the dual boot ramfs from the Galaxy S3 Siyah kernel to our Note II smartphones.

I have finished editing the ramfs, and changing the init files ect.
    But the is still two files I have left to edit, and I am a bit stuck on them.

In the files /sbin/init and /sbin/ueventd the is quite a few references to theses partitions:

mknod /dev/block/mmcblk0p13 b 179 9
    mknod /dev/block/mmcblk0p16 b 179 12

the problem is this, on the Galaxy S3 (which is what that ramfs was designed for) those partitions dont exist as far as I can see.
    But on the note 2, those partitions are the /DATA and /SYSTEM partitions.

So I need to change thoses partitions to something else, but I dont know what.
    I have copied the contents of the two files which thoses partitions are referenced in, and a table showing the Note 2 partitions and the coresponing S3 partitions, below

Could someone please help me find out what I should do here, as I cant do any more on the dual boot kernel till I get that sorted.

Here is the question I asked gokhan moral:

“I have edited all the files in the ramfs, apart from two files.
    In the files /sbin/init and /sbin/ueventd the is 2 partitions referenced thru out them, they are:
    mknod /dev/block/mmcblk0p16 b 179 12v
    On the Galaxy S3, thoses partition names are un-used (as far as i know)
    But on the Galaxy Note 2, thoses partitions are the /DATA and /SYSTEM partitions.
    can i just change the partition names in thoses 2 files to soemthing like:
    mknod /dev/block/mmcblk0p17 b 179 9
    mknod /dev/block/mmcblk0p18 b 179 12v
    or do i need to do something else to rename thoses two partitions?.”

And here is Gokhan Morals Response:

“block devices are created using the major and minor id's specific to your device (those do not change normally but you need to check anyway). so if they are mounted and needed you create them. if they are not needed in the script you don't have to create them. you have to try to keep the same functionality in the script. if you mount /system then you will need the block device that corresponds to /system with the correct major and minor numbers.”

but I still dont understand what I am supposed to do (I am not really a developer, I am more of a web designer ect)

Could someone please explain in simpler steps what I should do to rename thoses two partitions.

Here are the file contents (both files have the same contents, so i have only copied one here)

INIT:

#!/sbin/busybox sh
    cd /

busybox mount -t proc proc /proc
    busybox mount -t sysfs sysfs /sys

if busybox grep -q 1 /sys/class/power_supply/battery/batt_lp_charging ; then
    # low power mode
    echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/rom_feature_set
    cp -a /res/misc/init.41/* /
    chmod 755 /innt
    chmod 644 /*.rc
    chmod 644 /*.prop
    exec /sbin/init2
    fi

SECONDROM=1
    NOBOOTLOGO=0
    mkdir -p /dev/block
    mkdir /dev/input
    mkdir /dev/graphics
    mknod /dev/graphics/fb0 c 29 0
    mknod /dev/input/event1 c 13 65
    mknod /dev/input/event2 c 13 66
    mknod /dev/input/event8 c 13 72
    mknod /dev/input/event9 c 13 73
    mknod /dev/ashmem c 10 60
    mknod /dev/block/mmcblk0p16 b 179 12
    mknod /dev/block/loop0 b 7 0

mkdir /mnt
    chmod 755 /mnt
    mkdir /.secondrom
    mount -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p16 /.secondrom

NEXTBOOT=`cat /.secondrom/media/.nextboot`
    rm -f /.secondrom/media/.nextboot
    DEFAULTROM=`cat /.secondrom/media/.defaultrom`

if grep -q bootmode=2 /proc/cmdline ; then
    NEXTBOOT=0
    fi

if [ "$NEXTBOOT" == "0" ]; then
    mv -f /res/etc /
    umount /.secondrom
    echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/rom_feature_set
    mv -f /res/misc/init.41/* /
    mv -f /res/misc/recovery/* /
    chmod 755 /innt
    chmod 644 /*.smdk4x12
    chmod 644 /*.rc
    chmod 644 /*.prop
    chmod -R 755 /lib
    exec /sbin/init2
    fi

SECONDROM=1
    NOBOOTLOGO=0
    [ -f /.secondrom/media/.secondrom/system.img ] || SECONDROM=0
    [ -f /.secondrom/media/.nobootlogo ] && NOBOOTLOGO=1

if [ "$SECONDROM" == "0" ];then
    if [ "$NOBOOTLOGO" == "0" ];then
    /sbin/choose_rom $SECONDROM
    fi
    else
    if [ "$NEXTBOOT" == "1" ];then
    SECONDROM=0;
    elif [ "$NEXTBOOT" == "2" ];then
    SECONDROM=1;
    else
    if [ "$NOBOOTLOGO" == "1" ];then
    SECONDROM=$DEFAULTROM
    elif [ "$DEFAULTROM" == "1" ];then
    if [ "$?" == "1" ]; then
    SECONDROM=0
    else
    SECONDROM=1
    fi
    else
    if [ "$?" == "1" ]; then
    SECONDROM=1
    else
    SECONDROM=0
    fi
    fi
    fi
    fi

if [ "$SECONDROM" == "1" ]; then
    mount -t ext4 /.secondrom/media/.secondrom/system.img /system
    else
    mount -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p13 /system
    fi

AOSP=0
    MIUI=0
    CM10=0
    JB=0

[ -f /system/framework/framework2.jar ] || AOSP=1
    [ -f /system/framework/miui-framework.jar ] && MIUI=1
    [ -f /system/lib/ssl/engines/libkeystore.so ] && JB=1
    [ -f /system/framework/seccamera.jar ] || CM10=1

if [ "$JB" == 1 ];
    then
    if [ "$CM10" == 1 ];
    then
    echo 3 > /proc/sys/kernel/rom_feature_set
    mv -f /lib/modules/dhd_cm.ko /lib/modules/dhd.ko
    mv -f /res/misc/init.cm10/* /
    else
    echo 2 > /proc/sys/kernel/rom_feature_set
    mv -f /res/misc/init.41/* /
    fi
    fi

if [ "$SECONDROM" == "1" ];then
    mv /init.smdk4x12.rc.2 /init.smdk4x12.rc
    mv /init.rc.2 /init.rc
    mv /fstab.smdk4x12.2 /fstab.smdk4x12
    else
    rm -f /init.rc.2 /init.smdk4x12.rc.2 /fstab.smdk4x12.2
    fi

umount -f /system
    umount -f /.secondrom

rm -rf /res/misc/init*
    chmod 755 /innt
    chmod 644 /*.smdk4x12
    chmod 644 /*.rc
    chmod 644 /*.prop
    chmod -R 755 /lib

# misc mods for i9300
    insmod /lib/modules/m0_mods.ko
    # cpu undervolting interfaces
    insmod /lib/modules/cpu_undervolting.ko
    # mali (gpu) interfaces
    insmod /lib/modules/mali_control.ko
    # additional CPU governors
    insmod /lib/modules/cpufreq_hotplug.ko
    insmod /lib/modules/cpufreq_lulzactiveq.ko
    # additional I/O schedulers
    insmod /lib/modules/sio-iosched.ko
    insmod /lib/modules/vr-iosched.ko
    # audio enhancements
    insmod /lib/modules/kscoobydoo.ko devicename=scoobydoo_sound

exec /sbin/init2

And here is the partition layouts:

PARTITION: ` Galaxy S3 Galaxy Note 2
    /BOOT mmcblk0p5 mmcblk0p8
    /BOTA0 mmcblk0p1 mmcblk0p1
    /BOTA1 mmcblk0p2 mmcblk0p2
    /CACHE mmcblk0p8 mmcblk0p12
    /EFS mmcblk0p3 mmcblk0p3
    /HIDDEN mmcblk0p10 mmcblk0p14
    /OTA mmcblk0p11 mmcblk0p15
    /PARAM mmcblk0p4 mmcblk0p7
    /RADIO mmcblk0p7 mmcblk0p10
    /RECOVERY mmcblk0p6 mmcblk0p9
    /SYSTEM mmcblk0p9 mmcblk0p13
    /TOMBSTONES unknown mmcblk0p11
    /USERDATA mmcblk0p12 mmcblk0p16

I think i copied thoses partitions right from my pc, but i may have got one mixed up or something

Please can someone help, as i have been searching for days, and asking lots of different people on xda, but no response

Thanks in advance

Cheers
    Corey
    Any success bro? Lot of people looking forward to this :)!

Hi,
    I have been busy studying for university, and Microsoft exams, and I have been packing to move back to England in 3 weeks, and I have had some websites that I was building that needed finishing for people, so I haven't been able to do any of The kernel the last week or two.
    Also I have had to rebuild my PC.

The kernel is still freezing on boot up of the second ROM.
    But I have found some lines of code in the ftab.2 and init.2 files in /sbin/misc/init.41 that could be causing the problem, and I will try changing them as soon as I get time.

But its all very hectic here at the moment, and my WiFi and speaker on my note 2 have broken, so I also need to send it to a service center aswell. So I don't know when I will be able to get round to it, but I will try as soon as I can.

Cheers
    Corey Bacon

Sent from my GT-N7100

Great news, I just flashed the kernel, and it didn't brick my phone :) :).
    The first rom booted fine, with the only bug being that the external sd doesn't work (but i know what i did wrong with that).
    I have cloned the data to the second rom system img, but i am still figuring out how to boot in to the second rom, as the one boot user promt doesn't work without the custom dual boot recovery (i think)

Corey

Sent from my GT-N7100

Hi,
    Thanks

Corey

Hi,

Cheers
    Corey

Sent from my GT-N7100

Ok the last 5-10 post are very confusing....do I understand right that you have dualboot working

It was easier for me to understand the code you was posting and my development skills are limited to mainly apps

Hi,
    No I haven't got dual boot working yet.
    I am editing some things in various fstabs and init files, and I will test it soon hopefully.
    The second ROM still freezes on boot at the moment.

Cheers
    Corey

Sent from my GT-N7100