Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,692 Members 40,679 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APK] Seeder 2.0.0 entropy generator to provide significant lag reduction

Tip us?

AglarondTX
Old
(Last edited by AglarondTX; 3rd January 2013 at 10:40 PM.) Reason: Added battery and install info.
Thanks Meter 15
I've done enough tests that I have some real numbers. This was done on my Galaxy Stellar, since the results (to my eyes) were more noticeable than on my Nexus 7.

I tested from a fresh reboot. Start [app], time. Force stop [app]. Repeat 4 more times. Take average.

Chrome (to bookmarks page):
Without patch: 2.1 sec
With patch: 1.4 sec

Maps (to showing my location with full map draw):
Without patch: 4.2 sec
With patch 3.1: sec

Google+ (to main page with full picture rendering):
Without patch: 3.5 sec
With patch: 2.2 sec

Bible (YouVersion) (to current passage):
Without patch: 6.3 sec
With patch: 6.5 sec

I didn't see anything near 4 or 5 times faster, but the speed increases were definitely noticeable on some of the apps. Oddly, the Bible app was actually .2 seconds slower on average. Probably no difference at all.

I also did a few framerate tests, and all came within a few fps of each other with no benefit one way or the other. It doesn't appear to help framerates at all.

So, not totally a placebo effect, but some of the benefits people are claiming I wasn't able to back up on my hardware. That said, there could be differences in hardware that aren't accounted for here. More people just need to test and give real numbers.

Edit: I haven't noticed anything significant as far as battery life goes. I just switched from m-kernel a25 to a26, so it would be hard for me to separate the difference and I don't feel like taking the time to get real numbers on this. Just the fact that I haven't noticed a problem makes me happy enough.

Also, I didn't use the APK; I flashed the zip that was linked earlier which contains an init script to start it up. Don't know if that makes a difference, or not.

-mS
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AglarondTX For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

the2rrell
Old
Thanks Meter 608
Ran the Apk on my note 2, galaxy s3, and my Skyrocket

i saw NOTHING improved......they to be fair had very little lag to begin with. but i was hoping to see/feel some sort of change in the apps, screens, something.

Maps, and other apps took the same amount of time to load up and populate than it did prior to install. unless the apk is not doing what it says it is doing.
Sent from the VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!!!!!

Chad_Petree
Old
Thanks Meter 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremysherriff View Post
Yes. Works nicely on the stock (rooted) Rom.

Sent from my Nexus 4
But can you really tell if there's an actual difference? or just a placebo effect?

antonior93
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Wonderful. Great! I just installed the apk and my Galaxy S became really fast. Is for things like this that i love Android. Thank you! I'll report back for battery life

czonin
Old
Thanks Meter 87
Great job OP! Will flashing a kernel have any affect on the mod?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jeremysherriff
Old
Thanks Meter 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmagruder View Post
Is there a way to 'uninstall' this if the technique used to 'install' it, is a zip? Do I have to reflash an entire ROM? Just the kernel? Is there a way to leave it 'installed' but alter back to the original behavior?

Sorry, I looked through the thread first but i only see references to uninstalling the APK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuinferno View Post
Ok guys...I repacked the rngd binary along with an init.d script to run it at boot......Download it here: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=9390233485161005510

Just flash it in CWM...to prevent it from running at boot/remove it, just delete /system/xbin/rngd and /etc/init.d/Seeder...If you face a Status 0 error when flashing, please replace the update-binary in the zip with one that works for your phone (just extract update-binary from any working zip for your phone and replace it into the right directory in the zip file)...flash away!

If you are not sure or know that your phone does not supports init.d, refer here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1933849
Is this the zip you used? If so, removal instructions are in the post.
Feed my ORD... please?

Use this link to sign up to DropBox and get both of us a 500MB storage upgrade, free!

gabling23
Old
Thanks Meter 18
sorry but i can't read 60 pages and probably someone has already asked this question?? this app will elliminate the lag even from the launcher (i've got a nexus s and sometimes it's a little bit laggy)

jeremysherriff
Old
Thanks Meter 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_Petree View Post
But can you really tell if there's an actual difference? or just a placebo effect?
It actually works. Install it and see. Try two things: Facebook (loads much much faster) and Maps (tiles load and scroll seamlessly).
Any banking applications you use will work much better too.

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabling23 View Post
sorry but i can't read 60 pages and probably someone has already asked this question?? this app will elliminate the lag even from the launcher (i've got a nexus s and sometimes it's a little bit laggy)
Yes it will, it does exactly that. Awesomeness.

Edit: PS someone else with an S posted 4 posts above yours - you might not be able to read 60 pages, but one page would be a good start.
Feed my ORD... please?

Use this link to sign up to DropBox and get both of us a 500MB storage upgrade, free!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeremysherriff For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fmcfad01
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Ran the app, ran cat in terminal, and did some testing on my Galaxy S3 running CM10.1 (android 4.2.). I saw absolutely no performance increases. Benchmarks were similar. The only difference was what got cat'ed in terminal. With the script running, I got entropy about 3900. Without it, I got values that ranged from about 130 to about 190. They would start at 130, then raise to about 190, then drop to 130, and repeat.

I like some of the theories in this thread as to why this helps on OP's phone/OS. I'm assuming it's just something that helps gingerbread limp along. It's not going to help Jelly Bean.

Looks like entropy between 100 and 200 is plenty to me.

jeremysherriff
Old
Thanks Meter 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmcfad01 View Post
Ran the app, ran cat in terminal, and did some testing on my Galaxy S3 running CM10.1 (android 4.2.). I saw absolutely no performance increases. Benchmarks were similar. The only difference was what got cat'ed in terminal. With the script running, I got entropy about 3900. Without it, I got values that ranged from about 130 to about 190. They would start at 130, then raise to about 190, then drop to 130, and repeat.

I like some of the theories in this thread as to why this helps on OP's phone/OS. I'm assuming it's just something that helps gingerbread limp along. It's not going to help Jelly Bean.

Looks like entropy between 100 and 200 is plenty to me.
Open Facebook, Maps, GMail and refresh the account, any https webpage and/or a banking app. Your entropy will drop to 0 (or close) during the opening/updating.
It's making a huge difference on my lower-spec'd devices (single or dual-core, 1GHz or similar - I have 4 to test on) and all are running ICS or JB.
Feed my ORD... please?

The Following User Says Thank You to jeremysherriff For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
entropy, mbq was here, performance