Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,698 Members 49,559 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Official Windows-on-Tab discussion/speculation thread

Tip us?

t1mman
Old
Thanks Meter 207

DONATE TO ME
Ok, to get things clear:

Windows 8 RT will work on ARM devices

Windows 8 RT will run application built for windows RT ONLY, nothing for X86/X64 will run on Windows 8 RT, it has to be REBUILT FOR RT

So, Office on Windows 8 RT will work because it was rebult for ARM. But don't expect to run any apps you're running on your windows box.

scaryshark
Old
Thanks Meter 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by t1mman View Post
Ok, to get things clear:

Windows 8 RT will work on ARM devices

Windows 8 RT will run application built for windows RT ONLY, nothing for X86/X64 will run on Windows 8 RT, it has to be REBUILT FOR RT

So, Office on Windows 8 RT will work because it was rebult for ARM. But don't expect to run any apps you're running on your windows box.
Does anybody with an RT tab know if all the standard MS apps like movie maker and paint still work on RT. Because to be honest an RT tab is looking REALLY tempting as soon as VLC and Plex is made for it.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using xda app-developers app

daedelush
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I rarely comment, but I had to chime in. Right now as it stands what is holding back Windows RT is secure-boot on UEFI. Running secure-boot requires signed certificates. You can remove and install as you wish on most UEFI boards for x86/64 PCs, but the hurdle is are not these boards. Hell; Fedora is paying MSFT to be included on their cert so you can install Fedora on Win8 compatible hardware without changing the cert. The hurdle is that MSFT is really locking down the boards for RT ARM based boards. Now if we could change the certs on the ARM based device then we have a start. A start; not a bootable working Win8RT OS. Porting for hardware still needs to be done to make it usable. No joke though; it would be great to be able to have the option of dual booting android and Win8RT. Practical; in its current state not really, but most of us aren't here to completely change our device, but we install and change ROMS because we can; for bragging rights.

Originalas
Old
(Last edited by Originalas; 8th November 2012 at 08:39 AM.)
Thanks Meter 31
Windows 8 through remote desktop seems a really nice option to try Windows 8 on tablet easy and cheap. Win 8 has native Remote Desktop for tablets with multitouch and everything.

Nokia Lumia 920
Sony Xperia S - CM10
Archos 97 HD - Visture V5 HD ROM / Root Guide
Nokia Lumia 800
Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 - AOKP JB
Samsung Galaxy S2 - CM9 ICS 4.0.3 XXKP8
HTC Desire - Oxygen

funguseater
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default RT ported to HTC HD2???

Hi

Just wondering if any developers here have seen the Windows RT port to HTC HD2 ? If it can be ported to an old phone why not the GTab 10.1? I would love to see some more info on this story.

.tweaktown.com/news/27548/windows_rt_ported_to_htc_hd2/index.html damn not aloud to post links REALLY, kinda douchee. (add the WWW)

hopefully not a hoax, I actually use and enjoy windows 8.

Fungi

bbeelzebub
Old
Thanks Meter 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by funguseater View Post
Hi

Just wondering if any developers here have seen the Windows RT port to HTC HD2 ? If it can be ported to an old phone why not the GTab 10.1? I would love to see some more info on this story.

.tweaktown.com/news/27548/windows_rt_ported_to_htc_hd2/index.html damn not aloud to post links REALLY, kinda douchee. (add the WWW)

hopefully not a hoax, I actually use and enjoy windows 8.

Fungi
I was just reading about it on XDA http://www.xda-developers.com/window...ns-windows-rt/

funguseater
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeelzebub View Post
Thanks for that link! Its good to know that the coder was one of XDA's own, I really hope that something can come out of this for the GTab 10.1 but I will not hold my breath.

Have a great NYear

dxh3378
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Default Re: Official Windows-on-Tab discussion/speculation thread

Oh word,

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk HD

jtdc
Old
Thanks Meter 71
looks like they got it running.

Code:
http://bbs.gfan.com/android-4904344-1-1.html
LG-D820 & ME571K on KTU84P
Sony D2005 on 4.3
A1395 on iOS 7.0.4 | A1432 on iOS 7.1.1

CrimsonSage
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Fake

Unfortunately if you translate the forum link posted, they point out that it's fake and the guy only used remote desktop that's why there is a black bar underneath. Sad

Tags
android, custom rom, samsung galaxy tab 10.1, windows 7, windows 8