Post Reply

Official Windows-on-Tab discussion/speculation thread

OP Step666

24th October 2012, 02:37 PM   |  #111  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 209
 
1,192 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2008
Donate to Me
More
Ok, to get things clear:

Windows 8 RT will work on ARM devices

Windows 8 RT will run application built for windows RT ONLY, nothing for X86/X64 will run on Windows 8 RT, it has to be REBUILT FOR RT

So, Office on Windows 8 RT will work because it was rebult for ARM. But don't expect to run any apps you're running on your windows box.
27th October 2012, 09:25 AM   |  #112  
scaryshark's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 208
 
384 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by t1mman

Ok, to get things clear:

Windows 8 RT will work on ARM devices

Windows 8 RT will run application built for windows RT ONLY, nothing for X86/X64 will run on Windows 8 RT, it has to be REBUILT FOR RT

So, Office on Windows 8 RT will work because it was rebult for ARM. But don't expect to run any apps you're running on your windows box.

Does anybody with an RT tab know if all the standard MS apps like movie maker and paint still work on RT. Because to be honest an RT tab is looking REALLY tempting as soon as VLC and Plex is made for it.



Sent from my HTC Desire HD using xda app-developers app
31st October 2012, 09:42 PM   |  #113  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
10 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2009
I rarely comment, but I had to chime in. Right now as it stands what is holding back Windows RT is secure-boot on UEFI. Running secure-boot requires signed certificates. You can remove and install as you wish on most UEFI boards for x86/64 PCs, but the hurdle is are not these boards. Hell; Fedora is paying MSFT to be included on their cert so you can install Fedora on Win8 compatible hardware without changing the cert. The hurdle is that MSFT is really locking down the boards for RT ARM based boards. Now if we could change the certs on the ARM based device then we have a start. A start; not a bootable working Win8RT OS. Porting for hardware still needs to be done to make it usable. No joke though; it would be great to be able to have the option of dual booting android and Win8RT. Practical; in its current state not really, but most of us aren't here to completely change our device, but we install and change ROMS because we can; for bragging rights.
6th November 2012, 08:45 PM   |  #114  
Originalas's Avatar
Senior Member
Vilnius
Thanks Meter: 32
 
174 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
More
Windows 8 through remote desktop seems a really nice option to try Windows 8 on tablet easy and cheap. Win 8 has native Remote Desktop for tablets with multitouch and everything.

Last edited by Originalas; 8th November 2012 at 08:39 AM.
30th December 2012, 10:54 PM   |  #115  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
2 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2012
RT ported to HTC HD2???
Hi

Just wondering if any developers here have seen the Windows RT port to HTC HD2 ? If it can be ported to an old phone why not the GTab 10.1? I would love to see some more info on this story.

.tweaktown.com/news/27548/windows_rt_ported_to_htc_hd2/index.html damn not aloud to post links REALLY, kinda douchee. (add the WWW)

hopefully not a hoax, I actually use and enjoy windows 8.

Fungi
3rd January 2013, 12:20 AM   |  #116  
Senior Member
El Lay / Hollyweird
Thanks Meter: 60
 
364 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by funguseater

Hi

Just wondering if any developers here have seen the Windows RT port to HTC HD2 ? If it can be ported to an old phone why not the GTab 10.1? I would love to see some more info on this story.

.tweaktown.com/news/27548/windows_rt_ported_to_htc_hd2/index.html damn not aloud to post links REALLY, kinda douchee. (add the WWW)

hopefully not a hoax, I actually use and enjoy windows 8.

Fungi

I was just reading about it on XDA http://www.xda-developers.com/window...ns-windows-rt/
5th January 2013, 05:22 AM   |  #117  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
2 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeelzebub

I was just reading about it on XDA http://www.xda-developers.com/window...ns-windows-rt/

Thanks for that link! Its good to know that the coder was one of XDA's own, I really hope that something can come out of this for the GTab 10.1 but I will not hold my breath.

Have a great NYear
24th February 2013, 11:10 PM   |  #118  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
18 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
Re: Official Windows-on-Tab discussion/speculation thread
Oh word,

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk HD
8th April 2013, 05:30 AM   |  #119  
jtdc's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Geylang
Thanks Meter: 72
 
613 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2008
More
looks like they got it running.

Code:
http://bbs.gfan.com/android-4904344-1-1.html
13th April 2013, 05:12 PM   |  #120  
Junior Member
Flag Pretoria
Thanks Meter: 0
 
7 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
More
Fake
Unfortunately if you translate the forum link posted, they point out that it's fake and the guy only used remote desktop that's why there is a black bar underneath. Sad

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, custom rom, samsung galaxy tab 10.1, windows 7, windows 8
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes