Data Throttling (Unlimited plan)

Search This thread

privatewarrior1

Nov 29, 2011
Would love to see a bill or picture of this. I have never heard this before.

Me too. It seems people are confused about this throttling issue. Now ATT throttles speed is at around 0.5 Mb/s. Some people may feel that they are unthrottled on such speeds.
Thinking about it: in certain markets, the HSDPA speeds are not that good: averaging 1 Mb/s. So if you're speed drops half that, you may think you are not throttled.

I had experienced this before: Once I did not know I was throttled for 10 days. My speed was OK since I was in a market with bad H+ speeds. The market had good LTE coverage but I had a non-LTE phone. When I called later, my data for that month was at 9 GB. I was surprised because I was able to do regular things. The technician informed me that my account was indeed throttled.

So speeds are in the eye of the beholder. :D

Jade Eyed Wolf

Nov 4, 2010
Arlington Virginia
Non LTE is 3GB

and LTE is 5GB

I have the international note 2 witch is NON LTE BUT I gave them the IMEI from a Note 1 and i dont get throttled til 5GB:D

Same here :)

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

I think that if AT&T seems to think that 3GB of data is good enough for HSPA+ users before overage charges or throttling, and considering that LTE is about 10 times faster on average, I don't think it's unreasonable for AT&T to change their plans to allow for 10x more data before throttling or overages.

JonBryant

Jun 6, 2010
Seacoast, NH
Would love to see a bill or picture of this. I have never heard this before.

Thats this months alone from his phone. Then we have the a shot from the myat&t app. Granted, the dates don't line up but you can see that there is 0 data used so far this month. ATT does not know how much non LTE he is using... Wierd.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-01-06-12-33-46.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-01-06-12-33-46.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 922
  • Screenshot_2013-01-06-15-15-51.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-01-06-15-15-51.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 902
Last edited:

Dirtydarko

Jul 13, 2011
Boston MA
I am Jon's buddy and it's true I am apparently not throttled on non LTE

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA Premium HD app

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

AT&It's official policy:

"Info for Smartphone Customers With Unlimited Data Plans
Do you have an unlimited data plan? If so, we have information to help you manage your account if you use more than 3GB, which means you are in the top 5% of data users in our network. If you have a 4G LTE Smartphone with monthly data usage over 5GB, you’ll also be interested in this information. You can check your usage for this month by dialing *data# on your mobile phone.

If you have one of our tiered data plans, this information will not affect you.

Background
Soaring mobile broadband usage and the limited availability of wireless spectrum has made it necessary for AT&T to implement a network management program to ensure the best possible service for all our customers."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA Premium HD app

UrbanLagoon

Dec 13, 2012
I did 10gb last month, how would I know if I'm throttled? I am on at&t with a lte note 2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

Illford

Apr 3, 2012
Houston
talking about that AT&T smart wifi thing, how can I use it to track my data usage without it taking over my wifi in stupid ways?

MattMJB0188

Apr 30, 2011
Throttled me about two months ago and I was getting about 500kbps down. Everything seemed fast but that was because my pings were in the 50s and 60s. Netflix looked like crap though.

I'd be on T-Mobile in a second if they didn't have EDGE in so many places.

eallan

Apr 23, 2010
So when they throttle you, what kind of speeds do you get then? In other words, how much do they slow you down?

After 5GB with an LTE plan you're throttled to, IMO, completely unusable speeds. You'll go from LTE speeds >10Mb down to like 100kb a second. It's almost completely unusable and totally messed up.

hyelton

Recognized Contributor
May 26, 2010
Wilmington
I`d rather be throttled than have to pay several hundred dollars worth of data bills or Pay $30 for 3GB instead of my $30 for unlimated!

oikhlail11

Jan 6, 2012
el paso texas
So I dont know if this has been mentioned, if you have been throttled it can be very frustrating to have to deal with a 500kb download rate so I remembered when I had my skyrocket entering the wap.cingular apn stopped the throttle im at regular 4g speeds now went from 500 to at least 6,000kb per second. Try it out first time you activate it may take a while to acquire signal but youll get your speed back :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-01-07-22-34-28.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-01-07-22-34-28.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 754
Reactions: lurchbyrep

hyelton

Recognized Contributor
May 26, 2010
Wilmington
Yea it can fix the throttle but you don't get LTE with that APN

Sent from my SGH-I317M using xda premium

TXSNAFU

Dec 12, 2011
DFW
I've got ATT unlimited data and just upped to a Note 2 right after they came out. Had a HTC Inspire during the rediculous throttling at 1GB. Was told the 4G phones get 5GB unthrottled but haven't even gotten close to the 5GBs. There's so many hotspots available I get off data as much as I can. Least there's a ton of hotspots around DFW.

hyelton

Recognized Contributor
May 26, 2010
Wilmington
Heck where I live I'm either home and WiFi or not all all when I'm out. My 3G I'd faster than WiFi in town.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using xda premium

rans0m00

Oct 11, 2012
I have crossed the 5gb soft cap once and they did not throttle me. When I was on my iphone 4 I was throttled once for going over the cap for a couple months in a row. I don't have anything to back this up with as to when they will throttle and when they won't but for me it has only been if I run over month after month

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

BlackPhantomX

Dec 6, 2012
What the heck are you pushing through your phone? Must be tethering or something...and downloading a lot while tethering.

I've hit 150GB throttled half-way through my monthly billing cycle. (My passive-aggressive way of trying to annoy AT&T.) Hitting 300GB isn't that hard unthrottled...if you're constantly downloading.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well I have read and noticed that the data cap is set at 5 gig's. For some people. And after you pass those 5 gigs you get data slowed down (throttled). And in fact this did happen to me once!
    But when I upgraded to my LTE phone.(skyrocket) The unlimited data cap is 10 gigs b4 they slow you down. Was just pointing that out since I haven't been slowed down at all. Full speed ahead:p. And now with the NOTE 2. Speeds are excellent on LTE!!:D. First test was out in San Diego with my girl having dinner!

So for all of you out there that have the grandfather unlimited data plan.:eek: Then sit back& enjoy you 10 gigs of full speed ahead.... Keep in mind that when I did those test I was way pass there so called 5 gig mark!!
    uploadfromtaptalk1354899014518.jpg
    This is what I get at home. And this is b4 the custom Rom!! Fully stock right from the store.. Me love me LTE:cool::D..

Here's the link to all the AT&T APN's. For who ever wants them!!:D
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2172110

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda premium
    So I dont know if this has been mentioned, if you have been throttled it can be very frustrating to have to deal with a 500kb download rate so I remembered when I had my skyrocket entering the wap.cingular apn stopped the throttle im at regular 4g speeds now went from 500 to at least 6,000kb per second. Try it out first time you activate it may take a while to acquire signal but youll get your speed back :)
    Try Phone. I'm hitting 20-40mbps during peak hours. (Late night.)

I did, but I have never in my life gotten those kinds of speeds on HSPA+. Are you sure you're not using un-throttled LTE?

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

OK I'm a rookie with all this but I'm trying to understand. Are you saying there is a way around getting slowed down??

Sent from my SGH-I317 using XDA Premium HD app

Well, kind of. If you're used to LTE speeds and AT&T throttles your download speeds, then you can enter an alternative APN in your "Mobile Networks" settings in your phone, and this will give you un-throttled HSPA+ speeds. It won't be LTE, but should be much faster than the 500kbps which AT&T will limit you to after you have passed the monthly data limit. The APN I have switched to is found in post #33 in this thread. After the billing period ends, you can switch back to your default APN and return to using LTE.
    You're definitely using LTE. 50mbps is impossible on H+. I do not have a "pta" APN, but I believe that one is still for LTE. I am running the latest AT&T stock firmware, and the default (and only) APN which AT&T put into it is "Phone." What ROM are you running?

Can you post a screen shot(s) showing the APN you created?

I too bought a att note 2. Att put me on the lte data plan. I traded my note 2 for a tmobile note 2. Im at 10 gig right now with no throttle.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app
    IT DOES NOT MATTER IF YOU HAVE THE TMOBILE NOTE II OR THE AT&t NOTE 2 IT DOESNT MATTER IF YOUR USING THE PHONE APN YOU WILL GET THROTTLED AFTER 5GB OR AROUND on an unlimited plan. the T-Mobile Note 2 by default will use the wap.cingular apn which is NOT throttled thats probably why you didnt get throttled. In which you can do that with the AT&T note.....UNLESS your using the tmobile note 2 to get on the $10 unlimated plan, and in which can be taken away from you at anytime

I disagree. The Cingular APN doesn't work for me. As I've proven, I have unthrottled with everything working on the network. And I'm on AT&T's grandfathered unlimited plan.

And to those who were waiting to see my results on the workaround I stumbled onto for the throttle, allowing me LTE speeds beyond the 5GB limit, the workaround seems to work extremely well. I've since changed ROMs from when I originally stumbled on the workaround, and it still works.