[OFF-TOPIC + SANCTUARY] Desire S Users Hangout Lounge

Search This thread

olyloh6696

Oct 20, 2009
Manchester
Following the recent decision from XDA Moderators to remove OT threads in device forums, they have now been closed.

I have found we can continue discussion here as long as the thread is in the OT forum.

I am creating a OT lounge for fellow DS members to carry on.

Here we go.

EDIT: Since Ben's sanctuary thread has gone too, we have decided to combine them to one thread, instead of creating another thread.

EDIT1: Our BBM group

5e9ydebu.jpg

Last edited:

SimonTS

Oct 23, 2011
Bristol
Correct. In all device sub forums the have been closed, however we have been given permission to open them here. I fell disappointed by this decision too.

I couldn't agree with you more Oly. I have posted my feelings in both the DS OT threads and hope that they are read by our moderators, even if nothing changes.

This is the worst thing I have known XDA to do yet. The moderators constantly refuse to do anything about the newbies who refuse point-blank to bother searching and then get all upset and aggravated when you tell them to do so, yet they decide to close threads which serve a very useful and valuable purpose on XDA. Putting device-specific threads in the general OT forum just means more chaos - if every device has an OT thread here and they are used regularly then the other OT threads will get hidden 8 pages down the list.

I cannot see a single valid justification for this decision and have just about lost all the respect I once had for the forum moderators.

olyloh6696

Oct 20, 2009
Manchester
Your logic is spot on. I'm very disappointed in XDA's decision. There really was no need.

I completely see where you are coming from, the OT forum will now have so many device sub threads everywhere, so other OT threads will be buried... Regular OT members will also be affected by this, with all those extra threads.

Can't express my disappointment enough...

I'm sure a few DS people won't come along, the ones who've already left (enigmaamit etc)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

jugg1es

May 29, 2012
I couldn't agree with you more Oly. I have posted my feelings in both the DS OT threads and hope that they are read by our moderators, even if nothing changes.

This is the worst thing I have known XDA to do yet. The moderators constantly refuse to do anything about the newbies who refuse point-blank to bother searching and then get all upset and aggravated when you tell them to do so, yet they decide to close threads which serve a very useful and valuable purpose on XDA. Putting device-specific threads in the general OT forum just means more chaos - if every device has an OT thread here and they are used regularly then the other OT threads will get hidden 8 pages down the list.

I cannot see a single valid justification for this decision and have just about lost all the respect I once had for the forum moderators.

Ok this is the first real time that i have missed the thanks button in ot

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
—Oscar Levant

Ichigo

May 30, 2012
Nowhere
Ok this is the first real time that i have missed the thanks button in ot

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
—Oscar Levant

First that, now this?! When will the madness end?! :mad:

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

Same?! Where has it gone?!

You mean there's no thanks button in OT?

They got rid of it a few months ago. :(
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1997784

olyloh6696

Oct 20, 2009
Manchester
What's the purpose of the RC forum anyway? Its completely non-dev related amd mainly OT topics...

Xda is contradicting itself here. What is going on....

PVL_93_RU

Apr 20, 2012
Well, I'm here bros.

Though the original DS thread is not closed yet lol

But still, I already subbed to this one as well

dan-fish

May 27, 2011
I'm crying myself to sleep. After a bit of revision. Does the night get any worse?!

Sent from my Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've been interested in acquiring a MacBook for some time but I think that Apple products (especially the Mac range) are just ridiculously overpriced.

I also can't personally see that much of an upgrade from the iPhone 6 to the 6S. From a consumer point of view arguably the biggest/most exciting feature is the force touch which I have managed to test out and I still think it's a huge gimmick, for now anyway. I think the iPhone 7 will be much more to look forward to next year.

Well, the Macbook happened when my trusty 5 year old HP DV6 died on me suddenly last month. The two major gripes I had with all full fledged Windows laptops (not the puny Atom equipped ultrabooks) were weight and battery life. There were only two machines that ticked all my boxes: the Dell XPS13 and the Macbook Pro 2015. The Dell lost out because of the weird camera placement (bottom left) and actually being more expensive than the Mac!!. In addition, Apple had back to school discount running, so I was able to snag the 256GB version for $250 less. Also, after using the trackpad and experiencing force touch, I wanted to at least give the damn thing a shot - I can always move back to Windows in the next upgrade. Or even run Windows natively on the mac if I don't like OSX (that is not the case however - I think it's a superb OS)

I agree the Macbook is overpriced, but until the SurfaceBook launch by Microsoft, it's had no real challenger at all. And in a market without a worthy competitor, monopoly ensues. Look at the iPhone for example. There are a zillion phones out there that try to take it down, but get shot down at some level or the other. I think it has less to do with how good Apple is, and more to do with a single company building and controlling every aspect of design, manufacturing, software and hardware, sales, distribution as well as service.

I think any other company that follows the same philosophy will churn out vastly superior products than the current generation of taped-and-glued-together devices where none of the components (tangible or otherwise) have any history together before they meet on the assembly table. However, in today's market that's easier said than done, and it is just not economically feasible for any startup (let alone existing manufacturers like Samsung) to put in place the formidable sales and service network it has built over the last 6 years. Add to that the reputation that the fruit has built over time, and you have a self-sustaining machine of domination! Is there any other manufacturer that has a better overall service rating than Apple? I know I've jumped through hoops like a monkey for Samsung as well as HTC service here in India.

What's the single downside to an Apple product?

Cost.

If you eliminate the cost factor.... if the iPhone were to cost as much as a OnePlus One or a Xiaomi Mi4, would you still criticize it? How many hundreds of millions additional units do you think the fruit company would sell then?

Well, that brings us to the phones that DO cost as much as the OPO, or the Xiaomi Mi4 - namely, the OPO and the Xiaomi Mi4! What's the quality control on these things? My wife owns a OPO - the sandstone black coating on the back started peeling off in 6 months, the bottom half of the screen is yellow tinted (this is the second replacement unit - same issue), the CM OS on it is buggy with camera issues and lock ups, etc. There are two official OS forks for the damn thing - CyanogenOS and OxygenOS.
    TWO.OFFICIAL.FORKS! (both are buggy, btw)
    I've decided not to touch it... it's not rooted, not bootloader unlocked, doesn't run greenify, xposed or any of those things. I shouldn't have to! It's her phone - she should be able to use it sans bugs without having to lug around an XDA member to rescue her all the time.

Now I understand that the phone was built as an experiment with an extremely low profit margin, yada, yada, yada (read: higher margin for error and compromises). When you build a device with a low margin, you have to set your quality control standards sufficiently low. Because every device that comes off the assembly line that doesn't meet the standards, gets discarded. The cost of this "bad" device is therefore a loss that has to be made up in the sales of the remaining "good" devices. As the number of bad devices increases, the margins on the good ones keeps dropping, and if there is a significant manufacturing lacuna, this leads to a point of non-sustainability. So what are the only choices left with the manufacturer?

1. Scrap the design and build a new device with new materials, components, manufacturing infrastructure overhaul, etc. (not pretty - read:bankrupcy)

2. Lower the quality control acceptability bar, so that more "bad" devices get through.

That the second option is cleared by any board of directors in a heartbeat is a no-brainer. What follows is a product released to the market where every 1 in 5 to 10 pieces is defective. KNOWINGLY SUB-STANDARD. But costs can be kept low, so that’s nice, right? Can’t fault the manufacturer for trying to keep afloat and I can understand that.

One the other end of the spectrum, If a manufacturer were to decide that it would stick to the highest possible quality standards, discarding even mildly sub-par devices in a heartbeat, what would remain at the end of the filtering process are devices that are impeccable and uniformly comparable. They WOULD however, carry over the financial burden of their fallen brethren who didn’t survive the QC assault. This makes them expensive. Add to that the quasi-religious fan following, the superlative infused brilliant product marketing by Apple, the scarcity heuristic (The harder it is to get an object, the more desirable it becomes) surrounding its products, stability of their software, a sound app ecosystem, better designed apps (also, developers get paid more per app on iOS), and you can see the customer push through the price barrier. It all depends on how anal you are about your device. If you can “accept” certain issues because it’s an “affordable” or “subsidized” device, good for you. If you can’t - then look towards the fruit. I haven’t even started to account for cost of inventory needed to be maintained and updated constantly to support the hundreds of millions of devices out in the market, and other such factors that being a mere Orthopedic Surgeon, I must confess I have little comprehensive knowledge of.

Now I’m not trying to justify Apple’s cut-throat prices. They make the crappiest, most expensive cables that keep falling apart every couple of months, their licencing is way too expensive, their policies are restrictive (to some), they are a walled garden, and so on. But it’s a safe garden. The walls hold. You can sit inside and lounge in peace. It’s not for everyone, but its not bad either.

I wish just as much as the next guy that their devices cost half of what they do. But over time, I have come to understand why they never can.

If you want an open ecosystem with freedom to “customize”, good for you. If there is a certain way you want your OS to function, if you’re about freedom to choose your hardware, there is amazing variety and choice out there with Android. But there is a bunch of people out there with a lot of money who either don’t have the inclination or the time to care about all that. This bunch just wants a well-designed phone that may not do EVERYTHING, but what it does, it does without a freeze, or an app crash, or a random reboot, and doesn’t run on last year’s software (yeah, yeah… I can hear the bleating too)

Sorry for the rant. Doc out.
    I think there are still many of us checking this thread. Personally, I don't think I'll ever stop. But yeah, time goes by and things change.

Cheers guys!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    I was not having that specific model but Im an HTC fan and Im still having active my beloved HTC Universal from back in 2004, the grandpa of Desire S.
    So proper old timer here!

What device are you on currently?