Difference between revision....

Search This thread

republicano

Mar 11, 2010
I'm on my second Nexus 4 - first one had strange darker spots on the front bezel, at first thought it was something behind the glass but smudges reacted differently over the two spots so no idea what it was.

On my second phone and it's a Rev10, not sure what the first one was but guessing Rev10 since I got mine from a carrier store here in NZ. This second unit has a bit of a rattle but it's inside the device, not the volume rocker. I have to really shake the phone to hear it but I didn't have anything like that on my first unit. I also have some backlight bleeding along the right edge of my screen. Noticeable when using apps like Google Maps and the top bar that's greyed out - it takes up the height of the greyed out bar. Only really noticeable on grey backgrounds, can't see it on blacks which kind of surprises me. I'm not sure if I should return my phone and try again with another unit. - not sure if I'll get something better or worse.

I guess you got yours from 2degrees or wherehouse stationary,I couldn't wait so I brought mine off trademe. I got a rattle inside mine but overall no issues uk version, how long did your first rma take?
i would rma yours being protected by the CG act.

Feb 3, 2009
Auckland
I guess you got yours from 2degrees or wherehouse stationary,I couldn't wait so I brought mine off trademe. I got a rattle inside mine but overall no issues uk version, how long did your first rma take?
i would rma yours being protected by the CG act.

I got mine from 2degrees but did the exchange in store, was told that I can only do it at the store where it was purchased from. From what I've read the rattle is normal, although I didn't hear it with my first unit. I may give it a day or two to see if this backlight bleeding reduces - I'm really not sure if I want to risk doing another exchange and get a unit that has worse or different issues.

One thing I did notice between this second unit is that it's much faster at charging - well it's actually just normal. My first unit (which not sure what Rev it was) took a long time to charge which I noticed right away. The battery also seems to last longer on this second unit, my first one would burn through 10% battery with less then 5 minutes of normal use. Maybe it had a bad battery as well. I was wondering why people were saying this phone had great battery life! This second unit is much better.

evonc

Dec 10, 2011
Toronto
Have a rev10 and it runs great. Rattle from autofocus mechanism is there along with the very very dim buzzing noise. You really have to try to search for it in order to notice it. Except of those minute issues, screen is fine. For people having trouble with battery/screen on time, you should switch to a custom kernel as a lot of them have the wakelock issues patched up that was causing severe battery drain. I can probably push anywhere from 4-6hrs of screen on time depending on what I'm doing.

Sent from my Nexus 4

ugene1980

Dec 18, 2012
My rev10 (RMA-ed as i broke the screen) is perfect except for some rattling(bad build design if anything),

My replacement, which is a rev11, is also perfect except for some rattling(bad build design if anything),

Basically, exactly the same!

usb7

Aug 7, 2010
No yellow tint compared to your rev10?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

ducmthai

Mar 21, 2011
Mine is rev10, there's a (visible) gap between the back cover and the bezel in the middle of the volume button. There are few grains on the bezel as well and a blurred area in the back cover glass right after the USB port. I think for most of rev10, the build quality is not so good, not to mention the white band of the screen at max brightness and gray background.

Feb 3, 2009
Auckland
I think for most of rev10, the build quality is not so good, not to mention the white band of the screen at max brightness and gray background.

What do you mean by "white band of the screen" - are you talking about backlight bleeding? I'm debating trying to exchange my second unit because on backlight bleeding but really am not sure if I should. Not sure if I'm being too picky.

raksan

Mar 7, 2008
Phnom Penh
I've got rev10. No noticeable yellow screen, but I could see yellow/blue tint if I look from corners. The screen bleeding is very minor, my unit got only one spot at top right but only spot when display in black background. My cpu binning is "Fast" and average screen time is 4:20. I think I'm satisfied.

Feb 3, 2009
Auckland
I went into a local carrier store to look at their Nexus 4 on display and it has the same level of backlight bleeding on the top right edge so I think I'll just keep the one I've got. I do think it's gotten a bit better so maybe I'll get to a point where it will naturally dim and I will learn to ignore it over time.

aindow

Jun 5, 2010
Leyland
I've got a rev 10 in my left hand and a rev 11 in my right. The power button on the rev 11 feels more solid and the rev 11 also has a faster GPS lock and seems to pick up on more satellites even whilst indoors and with WiFi turned off.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

mbucks911

Nov 24, 2011
Washington DC
i have a rev 10 and a rev 11.
the rev 10 has louder speaker buzz in ear and a whiter screen, but the on the rev 11 the screen could get whiter after time from what ive heard. i havent used the rev 11 long enough to say anything about battery life, but the performance on both is equivalent. i got a rev 11 and it just came as a replacement because the speaker buzz in rev 10 was pretty loud and annoying in call, and sadly on the new rev 11 the speakerphone speaker on the back is messed up and it sounds really bad. also the volume rocker is really bad on the rev 11 i got. i think im just gonna send back the RMA rev 11 and keep my rev 10 because i dont want to deal with it again. i guess ill get over the buzz

aindow

Jun 5, 2010
Leyland
i have a rev 10 and a rev 11.
the rev 10 has louder speaker buzz in ear and a whiter screen, but the on the rev 11 the screen could get whiter after time from what ive heard. i havent used the rev 11 long enough to say anything about battery life, but the performance on both is equivalent. i got a rev 11 and it just came as a replacement because the speaker buzz in rev 10 was pretty loud and annoying in call, and sadly on the new rev 11 the speakerphone speaker on the back is messed up and it sounds really bad. also the volume rocker is really bad on the rev 11 i got. i think im just gonna send back the RMA rev 11 and keep my rev 10 because i dont want to deal with it again. i guess ill get over the buzz

You must just have another bad one as my rev 11 is definitely better.

ducmthai

Mar 21, 2011
Finally I have a newer rev11, listen to music via Google Music doesn't suck battery like a monster like my rev10 anymore

kyleds

Jun 12, 2009
Honolulu
Just got my RMA today. Went from rev10 to rev11. Screen seems a little brighter. Camera doesn't have the pink spot. Seems a little smoother. One thing I notice with the camera is that the opening of the actual camera is a little smaller. Might be the reason for less light glare causing the spot? Idk. Hav not rooted this one yet. Rattle from camera is very minimal as well. So far, so good :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

benrees21

May 31, 2010
Grays
I guess I could post a picture of my 14 Nexus 4 invoices from Google but am feeling lazy as I just woke from a nap.

No I'm not RMAing them all. I bought the phones (tablets too) for profit/resale and in the process kept the best one for myself. Keep in mind the N4/N10 is only available in about 2% of the world's nations so many non-US residents are doing backflips to have one.

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

Btw, Google doesn't want you to know this (looks over shoulder).

I hate people like you. While everyone was struggling to buy one on the day of release, we have donut holes like you buying as many as you can to make a quick buck. There is no difference in battery life or smoothness, it's the same phone just without the glitter back. Seriously, stop trolling, I have just over 6 hours screen on time and 1 and half days in total with rev10.

A Nexus Connoisseur!! AOSPA!! Franco Kernel!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I guess I could post a picture of my 14 Nexus 4 invoices from Google but am feeling lazy as I just woke from a nap.

No I'm not RMAing them all. I bought the phones (tablets too) for profit/resale and in the process kept the best one for myself. Keep in mind the N4/N10 is only available in about 2% of the world's nations so many non-US residents are doing backflips to have one.

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

Btw, Google doesn't want you to know this (looks over shoulder).

I hate people like you. While everyone was struggling to buy one on the day of release, we have donut holes like you buying as many as you can to make a quick buck. There is no difference in battery life or smoothness, it's the same phone just without the glitter back. Seriously, stop trolling, I have just over 6 hours screen on time and 1 and half days in total with rev10.

A Nexus Connoisseur!! AOSPA!! Franco Kernel!!
    I'm done here. No need to post proof as I really don't care enough.

Good, since you only seem to be rude to people without providing any USEFUL information. Next rude post of yours will be reported as provoking. Bye.
    Absolutely not. I have had 14 different Nexus 4s and am preparing to order a few more. I STRUGGLED to see 4 hours screen on with the rev 10 and usually never made it. The UI was fine but I saw choppiness every so often, especially on Tapatalk. With rev 11 I honestly see about 5 1/2 to 6 hours screen on and Web browsers, tapatalk, etc are much smoother. I have tapatalk set to load 30 posts per page and can load a page and scroll from top to bottom without a single chop, impossible on the rev 10. The improvement is humongous. I'll take a screen shot of my next screen on at the end of the charge.

Now I see why many said they would wait a few months to purchase. This is now a hell of a phone (well was before too) and I can't possibly think of a reason to ever upgrade other than finding a thinner phone with stronger vibrate.

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

Also, do not worry about the light bleed unless it's severe. It will gradually dissipate over time which will leave you very happy in the end.

Dude, there is no way they changed so drastically to offer anything remotely close to what you are describing. A 2100mah battery is a 2100 mah battery. If you are getting six hours of screen on time on it, you are either only using the phone for literally six hours constantly or you have some magic firmware that no one else but you has. Loading 30 posts in tapatalk is nowhere near a valid test for seeing how "smooth" something is. My rev 10 loads tapatalk just fine without any lag. The fact that you had to go through fourteen different phones to find one that magically works just screams troll, as does your blatant ignorance regarding all rev10 devices just because yours sucked.

can anyone else verify the differences the guy is saying about the different revisions? i am considering doing an RMA

He doesn't know what he's talking about. You won't magically see two more hours of screen on time. Your phone will not magically make you breakfast. It will be the same phone.

Skipping the glitter back sure helps speeding up production. It would also be interesting if someone can do a tear down and see if the lte chip is still there.

I'll be a bit jealous if rev_11 does in fact have better battery life. But we can always wait a few more months for better hardware, don't we?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

The LTE chip is still there, it is built into the SoC. If they wanted to remove the LTE they would have to use a different SoC.
    I have a revision 10 and I easily get upwards of 5 hr's of screen time, and can go a day and a half on a charge. I have no yellowing, no rattling, no light bleeds, no buzzing from the speaker, no nothing. Its the same software, same battery, and same hardware. Anyone that thinks their phone is better than someone else's phone based on a hardware revision that no one knows anything about needs to get a life. The only thing I would be even remotely envious of another N4 user's phone for, is if it has a higher binned CPU. Would I notice a difference if I held them side by side and used them the same way? Probably not, so its not an issue. I enjoy this phone everyday, and I can say with complete confidence, that this is the best phone I have ever used, and that's all that matters to me. :D

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium
    Guys my phone breaks when it smashes and it overheats after my 20th benchmark in a row SHOULD I RMA :(