[Tut] Preparing Your One X for Custom Roms (For Dummies)

Search This thread

[★]

Dec 13, 2009
England
Is your bootloader unlocked?

Yes it is, and I think its ok now, I factory reset in the bootloader and tried again, this time got

Code:
C:\fastboot>fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
sending 'recovery' (5742 KB)...
OKAY [  0.742s]
writing 'recovery'...
(bootloader) Format partition SOS done
OKAY [  0.522s]
finished. total time: 1.264s

And now (for a change) I get into CWM fast and I don't receive mount errors when I get there :p

KeshavJave

Jul 23, 2012
Rooting..

Hi, just got my new HTC One X and want to root it. The guide is well detailed. Does it work correctly? Thanks..

Vinneeh

Dec 21, 2011
Hello there,

I have got myself an HTC One X, upgrading from the HTC Desire.
I'm not satisfied with my battery usage.

I've read that if you unlock your bootloader that your current rom will be removed?
I've got myself prepared, been reading 3 days and stuff.

Unlocking bootloader
flash new recovery
nandroid backup of current rom ( if still exist ??? :p )
flash new rom

Are these the steps that will give me a safe new rom?

ClydeB1

May 6, 2009
Hello there,

I have got myself an HTC One X, upgrading from the HTC Desire.
I'm not satisfied with my battery usage.

I've read that if you unlock your bootloader that your current rom will be removed?
I've got myself prepared, been reading 3 days and stuff.

Unlocking bootloader
flash new recovery
nandroid backup of current rom ( if still exist ??? :p )
flash new rom

Are these the steps that will give me a safe new rom?
Unlocking the bootloader will not remove the rom, it will wipe the data on the phone and for some it even wipes the sd card, but the rom is not affected. So yes the steps are to unlock bootloader, flash custom recovery, take nandroid backup and flash new rom (not forgetting boot.img via fastboot)

Vinneeh

Dec 21, 2011
Thanks for your reply.

When I connect my HTC One X to my laptop, i see Internal Storage, here are my Photos/Videos/Music.
Will this be wiped?

Because if so, how do I put the recovery and rom on my storage?

Thanks

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

you told me about not forgetting boot.img

What is the boot.img?

ClydeB1

May 6, 2009
Thanks for your reply.

When I connect my HTC One X to my laptop, i see Internal Storage, here are my Photos/Videos/Music.
Will this be wiped?

Because if so, how do I put the recovery and rom on my storage?

Thanks

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

you told me about not forgetting boot.img

What is the boot.img?
Unlocking bootloader may wipe the internal storage (as it does for some), so it's best to backup any important files/photos/videos etc. After unlocking your bootloader you need to flash a custom recovery but this is not stored on the sd card so that won't be affected. If the sd card is wiped and the rom is lost, once you have flashed recovery you can boot to recovery and then mount the usb mass storgage and copy the rom file across again.

Included in the rom.zip file you download you will find a file named boot.img. This file needs to be flashed via fastboot before flashing the rom. So the steps are:
1. Unlock bootloader - fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
2. Flash custom recovery - fastboot flash recovery nameofrecoveryfile.img
3. Flash boot.img - fastboot flash boot boot.img
4. Erase cache for good measure - fastboot erase cache
5. Boot to recovery and then flash the rom

ATZ-007

Sep 7, 2009
London
Xiaomi Poco F3
Hi, I'm thinking of unlocking boot loader on my One X (Tegra 3, International). Can someone please tell me if instruction on OP is still the best way to do this or is there a better solution?

Many thanks,

Sent from my Desire HD using xda premium

ic3cub3

Oct 16, 2011
Hi, I'm thinking of unlocking boot loader on my One X (Tegra 3, International). Can someone please tell me if instruction on OP is still the best way to do this or is there a better solution?

Many thanks,

Try unlocking on HTC Dev website.
They will send you the unlock.bin file.
you put the unlock.bin into the fastboot folder

Boot into fastboot and type :

fastboot oem unlock

unlock bootloader site:http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader
For fastboot use this :http://d-h.st/K52

Good Luck!

Reactions: ATZ-007

bob24260

Aug 30, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Nubia Red Magic 6
Need help badly....Have been at this 4 hours and am severely frustrated.Ive unlocked my bootloader on my One X but when I try to flash recovery this is what I get....
"error: cannot load 'recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.4.0-endeavoru': Unknown error"
I would really appreciate any help anyone can give me....If anyone wants to walk me through I darn sure dont mind donating,milking your cows,helping hide bodies or whatever else you may need.Anyone who can help me get this rooted I will severely appreciate it.

Edit:I got it.Am a extremely happy camper now:-}

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There seems to be a lot of confusion in the air around either how to unlock your bootloader or how to install a new recovery.
    I am writing this as a very easy step by step guide to do all the things necessary to get your new HTC One X ready to accept some custom fun so here goes nothing

Unlocking Your Bootloader

Words of warning - unlocking your boot loader will wipe your data partition
    Things you have put on your internal memory will be fine but all of your apps etc will be gone.

Before we can even think about doing anything the first port of call is unlocking your bootloader.
    As of the time of writing this there is currently no S-OFF method available so this is the only method of flashing a new recovery or boot image.
    I'm going to keep this as simple as possible

1. Go Here "http://www.htcdev.com/" and create yourself an account on HTCDEV.
    2. Download These Fastboot Files
    3. Make a new folder on your C: drive called fastboot.
    4. Extract The Zip downloaded in step 2 to the new folder
    5. Go Here http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/ and select "All Other Supported Models" and "then begin unlock bootloader"
    6. Yes, Tick both Boxes, Proceed
    7. Skip up to step 8 as we have all we need for the first 7 steps
    8. Power off your phone by holding the power button down for 10 seconds
    9. Power your phone on by holding power and volume down
    8. Highlight Fastboot With Volume+or- then press Power
    9. plug your phone into your PC and open a Command Prompt.
    (windows XP - Click Start > Run > type CMD in box then press OK
    (Windows 7 - Click Start > type CMD in search box then press Enter)
    10. cd to your folder where we put fastboot files cd c:\fastboot
    11. type this into your command prompt window fastboot oem get_identifier_token
    12. select & copy the text as per step 9 on the HTCDev website
    13. paste your identifier token into the box at the bottom and submit
    You Will Very Shortly Receive an email from HTCDev with a link to the second part of the instructions and your "Unlock_code.bin" attached
    14. download the "Unlock_code.bin" from the email and save it to the same folder that we extracted fastboot files to in step 2
    15. type this into your command prompt window fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
    16. The Display Will change on your phone, press Vol + to accept and power to confirm.
    Note you may get an error on screen or on your cmd window (cant remember which now) that says something about too many links. It is nothing to worry about and your bootloader will still unlock
    Congratulations You Have Successfully Unlocked Your Bootloader

Now to the good stuff

Installing A Recovery

This one is very simple to do once you have your bootloader unlocked.
    A thing to note; at present there is no USB-Mass Storage in recovery so if you are planning to install a custom rom i would get it put on the internal memory of your phone now rather than messing things up later and been unable to install it

(if you have follwed my unlocking guide skip to step 4)
    1. Download These Fastboot Files
    2. Make a new folder on your C: drive called fastboot.
    3. Extract The Zip downloaded in step 1 to the new folder
    4. The Official Version of CWM has been released and is now capable of flashing all roms, you can grab it HERE
    5. download the custom recovery and save it in the same folder as you did the fastboot files
    6. Power Phone Off by Holding power button for 10 secs
    7. select Fastboot with volume + or - then press power
    8. plug your phone into your PC and open a Command Prompt.
    (windows XP - Click Start > Run > type CMD in box then press OK
    (Windows 7 - Click Start > type CMD in search box then press Enter)
    9. cd to your fastboot files folder cd c:\fastboot
    10. type in your command prompt fastboot flash recovery name_of_recovery_image.img
    in my case it was fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.2.7-endeavoru.img

Congratulations you now have a custom recovery

power off the phone by holding power for 10 seconds
    power on the phone holding power+volumer down
    choose recovery with volume +/- then power to select

You are now on your custom recovery
    First Thing - Do A Nandroid Backup Of Your Current Rom In Case anything bad happens

Make sure you already have your new rom on your internal memory as you cannot enable mass storage in the current recovery builds.

Wipe then Flash your new Custom Rom

Or you can download the latest SuperSU binaries from HERE and install them Via Recovery to just root the stock rom

Hope this helps some of you
    Any idea why we can't root One X (Tegra 3) without HTCdev.com or when we will be able to (raught estimation)?

Thanks

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

I would assume it's because nobody has found an exploit in the tegra architecture yet. I know Paul is working on it.
    Other processors like the Qualcomm used in the HTC one xl still have the same exploits from years ago so there's are easily cracked. Patience is virtue and root without unlocking will come eventually

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app
    Official Clockwork Mod has been updated and device.id now reports correctly meaning you can use it to flash all custom roms now, guide updated for new recovery

for those just wanting to update download the latest version from HERE

copy to the fastboot folder
    open a CMD window up and cd to the directory cd c:\fastboot
    run fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.2.7-endeavoru.img
    power off by holding power for 10 secs
    power on holding power + volume down
    select recovery with vol down
    press power to reboot to new CWM
    Thx !
    Wasted a lot of time yesterday downloading entire Java, SDK, for a 2 minutes job...
    Your package seems great !

Many thanks,

Try unlocking on HTC Dev website.
    They will send you the unlock.bin file.
    you put the unlock.bin into the fastboot folder

Boot into fastboot and type :

fastboot oem unlock

unlock bootloader site:http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader
    For fastboot use this :http://d-h.st/K52

Good Luck!